Code of Conduct

Thread: Refrigeration?

Default Refrigeration?

Okay.

So, much to my wife's dismay, I'm starting to collect quite a few little bottles here

I've searched around, and really haven't found a definitive list for what should be refrigerated, and what doesn't have to be.

Any tips? I've got a couple dozen EOs and some synths on the way (per Chris' list).

tia

Default Re: Refrigeration?

Yes. Put them all in a completely air tight box or your eggs and everything else will be sorry.

I'm going to guess and say that anything citrus needs to be refrigerated, and that patchouli and sandalwood don't.

Citrus oils go off really quickly; as an experiment I left a couple of ml of orange oil (in water) at room temp in daylight and it smelled like gone off orange juice after a few weeks. Maybe even sooner, but I didn't check.

-
    Last edited by Skelly; 8th February 2013 at 09:38 PM.

There's really no proven statement regarding this.

But generally keeping them in a cool dark venue (away from direct light and heat) will keep a perfume good for decades.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by JungleNYC View Post
    Okay.

So, much to my wife's dismay, I'm starting to collect quite a few little bottles here

I've searched around, and really haven't found a definitive list for what should be refrigerated, and what doesn't have to be.

Any tips? …I've got a couple dozen EOs and some synths on the way (per Chris' list).

tia
    Before you know it those 'few little bottles' can become a whole room full . . .

I'm not aware of a definitive list as such, but there is useful guidance on some of the more common materials in 'An Introduction to Perfumery' by Curtis & Williams.

I keep all my citrus oils and derivatives refrigerated (including things like neroli and petitgrain) plus I tend to keep some of the more valuable oils in the cooler - things like rose otto, and jasmine absolute. A few things come with instructions to keep below a certain temperature, such as Hyraceum Absolute for example.

I also keep all my stock bottles in the fridge (that is stock of completed fragrances) once they've had their maturation time.

Of the synthetics Ebanol is worth keeping cool because it develop off-notes with age. On the other hand Norlimbanol is better kept in the warm because otherwise it solidifies and its latent heat of freezing is quite high, so it takes a lot of energy to melt it again. Expensive stuff like trans-2-cis-6-nonadienal and irone live in the fridge too more as a precaution than anything else.

I have two dedicated fridges for perfumery stuff and don't mix it with food: if you are going to keep these things in with foodstuffs then you'll need to seal them away very carefully to avoid scented food.

As noted in my post on Aldehydes, refrigeration isn't always the best and certainly isn't the only means of maximising the life of perfumery ingredients.

Good practice is to keep any concentrated materials dark (so if they are in glass, especially clear glass, you'll need to keep the bottles in something opaque) and anything that is going to be stored for long should be in a container with the minimum possible air-space. This is especially an issue with materials like benzaldehyde or lilial.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 14th February 2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: repairing vandalism
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Before you know it those 'few little bottles' can become a whole room full . . .

-snip-
    be stored for long should be in a container with the minimum possible air-space. This is especially an issue with materials like benzaldehyde or lilial.
    Yep those little bottles grow up and multiply like Rabiits, I'm tellin ya...

for Air/oxidation issue and storage, you can get something some market as "OxBlox" -
    http://www.lotioncrafter.com/ox-blox.html

There is also a similar product for spraying inert gas into wines when recapping, or even for first bottling.

But with a plethora of Acetylene tanks in the garage, I took one to my local gas supplier and repurposed it for Argon gas, so for $100, that bought a 5psi regulator, hose and nozzle, and filled the tank with Argon @ 2500psi, I should have argon for the rest of my life to pump into any bottle that needs it, say for instance that kilo of Cuminaldehyde I just bought... That oxidizes like lightning...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

buy a little fridge like for dorm rooms. The wine fridges with the glass door look better but cost a whole lot more.

Dcampbell

I bought an inexpensive wine fridge from wal mart. It's not a big one but I don't need a big one.

I've got all my bottles with dropper tops… I'm beginning to think that's a bad idea?

yep the rubber will taint the fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgewater View Post
    yep the rubber will taint the fragrance
    Are there any dropper tops that aren't rubber? I can't seem to find any. …wouldn't silicone be a good option?

they do sale a bottle where the top has a glass dropper, but it is not bulbed. i cant remember where i saw them.