Code of Conduct

Default Whoah! Huge price disparity

This past week, bought a bottle of HM Hanae Mori for men, due to liking the samples I'd received from a girl I knew at a local Macy's, so I went back to her and bought it, the EDP for $95.

When I finally get home, I look online, and all over, from Amazon to other online sellers, the same item is selling for---------around $30!

What the hey....?

What's going on with the huge price difference here? I've seen obviously cheaper prices online vs. brick and mortar but that's just, wow.

So, since it was bought from a Macy's, it's still unopened, and I have the receipt, it's likely going back and I'm rebuying online.

Default Re: Whoah! Huge price disparity

Wise decision!

Hm is a very good cologne, never buy from department store though, amazon always have better prices

Well you've learnt a valuable lesson regarding dept. store mark ups Glad you can return it
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Always check online before purchasing at a dept store as most brands can be found discounted online. Chanel is one that is hard to find discounted, and with the amount of fakes being sold makes sense to buy that brand in a store.

Like others have noted, always check online before purchasing in department stores. This will save you a lot of dough.

I'm not sure if this is important to you or not, but the $30 bottle you found online is probably the EdT, not the EdP. I actually prefer the EdT over the EdP though. I bought it online for around $30 and have gotten lots of compliments.

If Hanae Mori HiM (not to be confused with H.M.) hits the discounters, I'll snatch that one up too.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I have had good luck with ALL my Amazon fragrance purchases. That said, others have not had such good luck with some of the Amazon 3rd party vendors.

Yeah, always check FragranceX or FragranceNet first. The mark-ups are ridiculous sometimes.

I was browsing fragrances at Nordstrom one day and came across HM. The SA was pushing it (along with some of the new releases) but I said it's available online for around $30, she seemed surprised (and perhaps she was) and since I liked it, I purchased it later on for even less than $30 from an online retailer.

Banned
    Blog Entries

this is for the new hanae mori him not the old one. i have not seen it that cheap online yet. what sites??

Some very good points here and good lessons. Indeed the retailers are going to charge full retail price, but with that price comes a few perks that may or not be important to you. The major retailers receive shipments directly from the vendor so you can guarantee their shipments are 100% legitimate. Most of the major retailers rotate their stock at least once a year, some every 6 months. The old items are shipped back to the vendor who then sends new items back to the stores. With most department stores there is a very decent return policy basically approaching satisfaction guaranteed...

Now, having said that there are some cases where a discounter that you trust that has a better price and it makes total sense to go cheap

I work at a major dept store and I have purchased some frags that I carry on my shelves from a discounter because the deal there was better than what I could have got even with my discount. You just have to do some research and in some cases be OK with the fact that you may not get a pristine bottle that just came from the manufacturer.

Case in point, I really like CK One Shock, it was taken off our shelves way too early, but that meant it appeared at TJ Maxx within a year of its' release. So I was able to get a back-up 6.7oz bottle for $29, far less than what I could get it for at my normal discount. I knew the bottle couldn't be all that old and since I was familiar with the packaging and knew it wasn't a frag that was subject to counterfeiters I snatched it up.

Basnotes is a great place for doing research in order to find some great, trustworthy deals out there. Another great thing to do when you think you found a deal too good to be true is to google the name of the fragrance you found at a great deal plus the word Fake (-Acqua di gio fake- for example). There will probably be a few hints as to what the differences are in packaging or the bottle and sometimes even where the fakes seem to be being sold.

All in all I think you did the right thing by getting HM at a better price, it's 15 years old and as far as I know isn't one that is faked a lot. Hopefully you will get it from Amazon direct which will prolly make a return easy if there is a discrepancy.

Good lesson learned
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Always check online before purchasing at a dept store as most brands can be found discounted online. Chanel is one that is hard to find discounted, and with the amount of fakes being sold makes sense to buy that brand in a store.
    Agree 100%...I've had a hard time finding discounted Chanel's online...So big boxed stored it is for that! Anything else it's pretty easy to find online.

Not just Chanel, but Frederic Malle is also hard to find discounted.

Banned
    Blog Entries

when you pay for a fragrance in the store, you aren't just paying for the fragrance.

you are paying for the advertising, the rent of the department store and the salaries of everyone who works there.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    when you pay for a fragrance in the store, you aren't just paying for the fragrance.

you are paying for the advertising, the rent of the department store and the salaries of everyone who works there.
    Absolutely correct. Markups of 400%+ are common.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    this is for the new hanae mori him not the old one. i have not seen it that cheap online yet. what sites??
    The new one and the old one are completely different fragrances with different names.

H.M. can be found cheap online.
    HiM is new and seems to only be available for full price.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam