Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Ok that does it...

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Think it through and you'll realize there's more to it than that.

Yes, we can easily skip a thread when browsing stuff to read. But the real problem with a trillion threads on the same topic is that they make search useless because a search leads to a ton of threads with the same basic info, but if you're hoping to learn anything specific, good frigging luck finding it without digging through a pile of practically duplicate threads.

That's why it bugs me when certain people refuse to add to existing threads and instead start new ones each time they try a new scent. It's vanity. They think their opinion is so important that it requires a new thread even if there are a ton of identical threads on the exact same scent already. I'm still waiting for a new thread titled "YouKnowWho Takes On Acqua Di Gio. Does It Live Up To The Hype?"

A billion threads on the same topic make search useless. That's a shame since basenotes should be THE place to search for great info.
    I think any poster should be able to ask any pertinent question at any time no matter how many times that question has
    been asked before. We see the same questions over and over again here and we answer them for that poster. To me it's just part of the fun. You may have a point concerning searching for information, I dunno. Personally I've never felt encumbered when I search for information about anything here. But I haven't recently searched Aventus, no. Vanity? Well.....all
    is vanity my dear boy.
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 11th February 2013 at 02:17 AM.

Honestly I find this extremely pretentious. Not everyone is a veteran in the fragrance game, and most people just want their questions answered. If I am new to a fragrance, like I am with vintage DHI, I am going to want to talk about it and start threads. If you don't like it, don't post. Simple as that.

As for the multiple threads on the same fragrance thing, I can get that. However, this is the internet, and things like this are going to happen, just like they do on every other website ever in the history of the world. You just have to accept that not everyone is willing to search and respond to one thread.

Not to mention, a lot of people want tailored responses to their questions, and on basenotes, there is no alert function for when you are quoted...which is really behind the curve if I am honest. Without this, people are more inclined, myself included, to make new threads.

If you don't like those threads don't go inside them, it is as simple as that.

Blog Entries

Yes, we can easily skip a thread when browsing stuff to read. But the real problem with a trillion threads on the same topic is that they make search useless because a search leads to a ton of threads with the same basic info, but if you're hoping to learn anything specific, good frigging luck finding it without digging through a pile of practically duplicate threads.

That's why it bugs me when certain people refuse to add to existing threads and instead start new ones each time they try a new scent. It's vanity. They think their opinion is so important that it requires a new thread even if there are a ton of identical threads on the exact same scent already. I'm still waiting for a new thread titled "YouKnowWho Takes On Acqua Di Gio. Does It Live Up To The Hype?"

A billion threads on the same topic make search useless. That's a shame since basenotes should be THE place to search for great info.
    EXACTLY!!! I for one use the search feature. I find multiple threads posted hours or days apart asking/telling the exact same thing. OK so you discovered Tobacco Vanille...search for a thread and add to it rather than starting the same freaking thread someone already has going...And as for skipping Aventus threads...that isn't easy when I click on "What is your favorite Dark oily skank musk and gasoline frag?" thread, and some idiot has posted "You should really try Aventus!" in it.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Acreed. Sometimes Creed can Creed a bit Creed.

Creed, creed.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Honestly I find this extremely pretentious. Not everyone is a veteran in the fragrance game, and most people just want their questions answered. If I am new to a fragrance, like I am with vintage DHI, I am going to want to talk about it and start threads. If you don't like it, don't post. Simple as that.

As for the multiple threads on the same fragrance thing, I can get that. However, this is the internet, and things like this are going to happen, just like they do on every other website ever in the history of the world. You just have to accept that not everyone is willing to search and respond to one thread.

Not to mention, a lot of people want tailored responses to their questions, and on basenotes, there is no alert function for when you are quoted...which is really behind the curve if I am honest. Without this, people are more inclined, myself included, to make new threads.
    Well I think this thread was started as a joke wasn't it. After all it's just about threads and fragrances, no big deal!

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    plus 500. Im not sure which is worse, the repetitive aventus posts or the people who whine and moan about the threads over and over again. How hard is it to skip over the word Aventus or click back on a thread that doesn't have it in the title.. jeez.. there are more important things in life to bitch and cry about.
    Oh, the irony...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Oh, the irony...

LOL!! Being the whiny OP, it is hardly surprising you would clutch at straws, and find irony in my comment .. keep on whining and moaning about something that will continue. The incessant moaning is actually quite cute..

- - - Updated - - -

Very fair point. However, the advanced search tools are available and a well tailored search will lead to pretty much anything you are looking for and avoid the fluff. I agree with you that it is annoying that people cant take the time to search for thing, but a lot of times it is newbies who come and post without even thinking about the search function on the thread. People jumping down their throat because the question may have been asked 3 years ago is not the most hospitable way to welcome them and encourage their contribution and participation in this site. You are right that basenotes should be and is a place to search for good info, but having snobby "know it alls' who just jump over people who people that offend their sensibilities is not the answer. There are other forums where people decry how snobby the posters on basenotes are just from the reception they get when they ask a simple question. One suggestion is that moderators just merge anything that is aventus related questions in similar threads that have already discussed it. That may get pretty onerous, perhaps all those who are so quick to highlight the awesome search function can volunteer for that duty indexing the aventus relates posts.

This thread makes me so happy. I've been hoping for a satirical BN thread for such a long time. Thank goodness. Thank you all! This such is such an amazing resource, but as a longtime lurker I find the fascination with GIT etc utterly baffling, and the duplication of threads very odd.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dior Homme > Dior Homme Intense lol

I've been saying this for the last 3-4 years and I will say it again.

When I (and others around the time) were newbies, we used the search function. If a thread was later created, it would be based on a previously undiscussed aspect of a fragrance.

Although the search function isn't as effective as it used to be, referring to Google is an option that's just as good, if not better. It's not so much the fact that there are 'too many threads' on certain fragrances but more the feeling that some members are too f**king lazy. Period.

If you are genuinely interested in fragrances, just like any other hobby, you'll invest the time and effort to read and do some research. If you go expecting all the answers to be handed out to you on a silver plate, you deserve all the hostility and disrespect that it may generate.

There are two types of Basenoters : Those who enjoy knightowl's humour and those who don't . ( I always enjoy his posts)

PS : This thread is now passe. All the hype is with Creed at the moment.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    This thread is now passe.
    Starting.......................................... .................................................. ..........................now!

When it comes to Aventus there's people who think it's made by oompa loompas in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Common sense doesn't apply so you know that going into one of those threads. Not much talk about LIDGE anymore. With DHI it's nothing but complaint's about reformulations. Pure Malt fell off the face of the earth.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Ahhhh... the socialization of an internet forum. Or, more apt, the dumbing down of an internet forum.

Certainly there've been case studies. We've all been to cigar, wine, car, watch, etc., forums that've gone through the same morph, no? Generally speaking...In the beginning there are the highly motivated and the rather knowledgable. More knowledge is attracted. Some come off as pedantic at times but are more than tolerated due to their willingness to share their knowledge. Over time, the knowledgable get into disagreements here and there, egos get bruised, they get tired of it all and leave, or just leave because they've got other things to do in life and simply move on to do more of them and less of this. All the while there is a steady stream of newcomers of all (or no) aptitude. Over time, topics get played out till there's nothing of real substance to be added, the sheer number of the 'common denominators' far outweigh those with good knowledge on the subject matter, and the discourse gits (yeah pun intended) dummer and gits dummer and dummer.

Quite the politically incorrect view, I know. But, there it is. It's all good if taken in moderation and not too seriously.

Waaaah, waaaaaah! My bottle of Yatagan smells like pooooh pooooh! My bottle of Kouros smells like peeee peeeee! My Dior Homme smell like a purse! Waaaah, waaaah! Damn you basenoters for enticing me into blind buying these terrible odors. Waaah, waaaah! I am a self-enlightened snowflake and my opnions are always important enough to post publicly. Sniff, sniffle.

Wait a minute. I tried them again. Now, I actually like them all.

Nevermind.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Ahhhh... the socialization of an internet forum. Or, more apt, the dumbing down of an internet forum.

Certainly there've been case studies. We've all been to cigar, wine, car, watch, etc., forums that've gone through the same morph, no? Generally speaking...In the beginning there are the highly motivated and the rather knowledgable. More knowledge is attracted. Some come off as pedantic at times but are more than tolerated due to their willingness to share their knowledge. Over time, the knowledgable get into disagreements here and there, egos get bruised, they get tired of it all and leave, or just leave because they've got other things to do in life and simply move on to do more of them and less of this. All the while there is a steady stream of newcomers of all (or no) aptitude. Over time, topics get played out till there's nothing of real substance to be added, the sheer number of the 'common denominators' far outweigh those with good knowledge on the subject matter, and the discourse gits (yeah pun intended) dummer and gits dummer and dummer.

Quite the politically incorrect view, I know. But, there it is. It's all good if taken in moderation and not too seriously.

Waaaah, waaaaaah! My bottle of Yatagan smells like pooooh pooooh! My bottle of Kouros smells like peeee peeeee! My Dior Homme smell like a purse! Waaaah, waaaah! Damn you basenoters for enticing me into blind buying these terrible odors. Waaah, waaaah! I am a self-enlightened snowflake and my opnions are always important enough to post publicly. Sniff, sniffle.

Nevermind.

Fair comment.

Basenotes Plus

Generally speaking...In the beginning there are the highly motivated and the rather knowledgable. More knowledge is attracted. Some come off as pedantic at times but are more than tolerated due to their willingness to share their knowledge. Over time, the knowledgable get into disagreements here and there, egos get bruised, they get tired of it all and leave, or just leave because they've got other things to do in life and simply move on to do more of them and less of this. All the while there is a steady stream of newcomers of all (or no) aptitude. Over time, topics get played out till there's nothing of real substance to be added, the sheer number of the 'common denominators' far outweigh those with good knowledge on the subject matter, and the discourse gits (yeah pun intended) dummer and gits dummer and dummer.

[/B][/I] [/SIZE]
    Like an open bar at a wake.

Guerlainista

Nevermind.
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. There are other factors that must not be discussed that drive off the knowledgeable as well...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Plus

Nevermind.
    There is of course always the problem of finding anyone here with tastes at all similar to your own, and Basenotes is at heart all about personal tastes, " I like this, I don't like that".

I love film. So I'll use it as an analogy. I love to discuss film. But when I go to work all anyone wants to talk about is the latest Spiderman movie or how incredible the films of P.T Anderson are while I'm would rather talk about Robert Bresson or Kenji Mizoguchi. So I end up never talking about film at all. True. I think people at work probably think I never watch movies when in fact I've watched more films than they will ever see.
    As for Basenotes if I could just get my Aventus batch numbers down I'd be better able to participate

Nevermind.
    I'm new here (two years of mostly reading), but this is exactly the truth about any forum. I have belonged to several fora for different topics and they all go exactly like this. This thread is one of the stages, about 2/3 of the way into the process, where "old timers" fight amongst themselves over whether or not newbies are ruining it, or old timers are too snobby. Next step is some old timers will start a new, more exclusive forum, and newcomers who feel iced out will then start another forum that exists only to mock this forum.

The truth is, no one forces you to read anything, be it thread or forum. All you have to do is click away. Some people enjoy helping new people, god love them, and some don't. Some new people will stay interested and begin to contribute, and others will post and run. Some old timers will move on, maybe because they hate this forum, or maybe because they have a new interest, and we just won't know why, but someone here will use those ghosts as proof that the forum sucks, and they remember when it was good. That's life on the Internet. Try not to take it as the real world, because it's not, and definitely don't get your dander up. Most of all, if there is a topic that routinely upsets you, just don't read those threads! Only you can take care of yourself.

Oh, and even with my measly 30-some posts, even I know of Aventus.