Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 80
  1. #31

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Read what you want and ignore what you don't. It's the best way to stay drama free.
    I agree. It's a free country, or website in this case. Just be a grown-up. No one forces anyone to read a thread.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    I also get tired of the never-ending recommendations of Burberry London and TF Tobacco Vanille whenever someone asks for a good winter/cold weather scent.
    OMFG. This. For the longest time, I thought Burberry London was the punchline to a basenotes inside joke. I'm not saying Burberry London is bad. Not at all. But it seems like, no matter what the question is, the answer will be Burberry London.

    "I'm looking for a great date scent." Burberry London.
    "I'm looking for something to wear on a rainy day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag for the middle of summer." Burberry London.
    "I'm going to crouch below my ex girlfriend's window and peek after dark even though I'm totally not a stalker at all. What should I wear?" Burberry London.
    "I want to smell like Christmas." Burberry London.
    "I want to smell like the 4th of July." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like the walk of shame on the subway after a one night stand the morning after Valentine's Day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like pine." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like peaches." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like my neighbor's cat after it got sprayed by my other neighbor's cat after getting sprayed by a skunk." Burberry London.

    I'm sorry, but Burberry London is ok at best, and it sure isn't the be all and end all. Not. Even. Close.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    I also get tired of the never-ending recommendations of Burberry London and TF Tobacco Vanille whenever someone asks for a good winter/cold weather scent. There's not much originality when it comes to recommendations here. Too often it is one of the over-hyped designers or one of the expensive, over-rated niche frags. I think there are lots of good, affordable, less-discussed designer frags.
    Basenotes is a lot like talk radio in that regard. After reading for awhile, you pretty much know what you're going to get when you tune in.

  4. #34
    Basenotes Plus
    Dernier_Cri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    By the Big Lake
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I agree. It's a free country, or website in this case. Just be a grown-up. No one forces anyone to read a thread.
    I totally agree. Everyone here has the right to express their opinions here as many times as they want as misinformed as
    those opinions may be.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    Everyone here has the right to express their opinions here as many times as they want
    Yes, but there are usually more appropriate places to do so rather than starting a new thread. It's why we have stickies, and the search function. Can you imagine what it'd be like if everyone started a new thread every time they got a compliment, or bought a new bottle? I have no problem with an inexperienced member starting a thread about an already well discussed topic, I take issue with the BN veterans that should know better by now.

  6. #36
    Basenotes Plus
    Dernier_Cri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    By the Big Lake
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Well.....I have no problem with superflous threads. Who's to judge? Like the man says, just move on.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Thank Grant for keeping storage up to date and running. What a headache he must have.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  8. #38

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    I have no problem with superflous threads. Who's to judge?
    Good thing you're not a mod lol
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 10th February 2013 at 06:51 AM.

  9. #39
    Dependent tonghpafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    When will Pure Havane be rereleased?

  10. #40
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15,386

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Purchase from MuglerStoreUSA.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    When will Pure Havane be rereleased?

  11. #41

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Ah, I have long wanted to apply some Doctor Who TARDIS technology to those threads, to prevent me from seeing them... I am also a bit bugged by all the "see me!!!"-types, whose only goal is to up their post count and makes one superfluous thread after the other. But that really is not anything we can change, and we just have to live with it There will always be people who scream for attention, because it makes them feel important, valued or better, and there will always be people to whom(?) the search function is invisible
    Last edited by Norstrøm; 10th February 2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Who, whom, which, derp...

  12. #42

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    OMFG. This. For the longest time, I thought Burberry London was the punchline to a basenotes inside joke. I'm not saying Burberry London is bad. Not at all. But it seems like, no matter what the question is, the answer will be Burberry London.

    "I'm looking for a great date scent." Burberry London.
    "I'm looking for something to wear on a rainy day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag for the middle of summer." Burberry London.
    "I'm going to crouch below my ex girlfriend's window and peek after dark even though I'm totally not a stalker at all. What should I wear?" Burberry London.
    "I want to smell like Christmas." Burberry London.
    "I want to smell like the 4th of July." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like the walk of shame on the subway after a one night stand the morning after Valentine's Day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like pine." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like peaches." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like my neighbor's cat after it got sprayed by my other neighbor's cat after getting sprayed by a skunk." Burberry London.

    I'm sorry, but Burberry London is ok at best, and it sure isn't the be all and end all. Not. Even. Close.
    "I'm looking for a great scent that isn't hyped on BN!" Burber... Oops!!

  13. #43
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    7,605

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    What people said about those two have been said a myriad of time, but people will express their impression whatever they want.

    Those two are great, we know it, but I am also getting sick of seeing the 'identical' threads about concerning these particular scents.
    I'll agree with the part about being sick of seeing the same threads over and over again, but I definitely am not part of the "we" you are referring to that "knows" those fragrances are "great" as I was indifferent to or disliked all of those mentioned in the OP.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  14. #44

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    I think it probably is time for a separate section for Aventus threads in all honesty.

  15. #45
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,846
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Grrrrr! When I first joined BN every third thread had the word "Aventus" in the title. I tolerated it, then grew sick and ridiculed, then got outright nasty about them. People were posting their fave batch #, comparing it to every other frag out there...It seems to have slacked up lately...I also hate when someone doesn't bother to do a "search" for a topic before starting a new thread...Then there are two posts back to back about the same friggen Aventus Batch #! ...There I feel better!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    Well.....I have no problem with superflous threads. Who's to judge? Like the man says, just move on.
    I CARE!!!!! People will complain loud and hard about how slow BN is, but will post side-by-side virtually identical posts, and others then post the same identical threads within the post. No wonder the servers are overloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  16. #46
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,214

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    OMFG. This. For the longest time, I thought Burberry London was the punchline to a basenotes inside joke. I'm not saying Burberry London is bad. Not at all. But it seems like, no matter what the question is, the answer will be Burberry London.

    "I'm looking for a great date scent." Burberry London.
    "I'm looking for something to wear on a rainy day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag for the middle of summer." Burberry London.
    "I'm going to crouch below my ex girlfriend's window and peek after dark even though I'm totally not a stalker at all. What should I wear?" Burberry London.
    "I want to smell like Christmas." Burberry London.
    "I want to smell like the 4th of July." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like the walk of shame on the subway after a one night stand the morning after Valentine's Day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like pine." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like peaches." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like my neighbor's cat after it got sprayed by my other neighbor's cat after getting sprayed by a skunk." Burberry London.

    I'm sorry, but Burberry London is ok at best, and it sure isn't the be all and end all. Not. Even. Close.
    Are you sure your not talking about Aventus?

    I guess since we are on the subject of repetitive threads, How about . . .

    "I Bought XYZ from some online site, Is it Real or Fake"

  17. #47
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    11,878

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I CARE!!!!! People will complain loud and hard about how slow BN is, but will post side-by-side virtually identical posts, and others then post the same identical threads within the post. No wonder the servers are overloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post/thread count is not the reason for the ridiculous Basenotes performance. There are many many sites that dwarf Basenotes in database size and usage. Most likely the Basenotes inadequacy is due to poor database design with little or inadequate indexing and partitioning. And perhaps inadequate hardware. With proper indexing and proper queries, billions of records should only take a few milliseconds longer to search on than a few dozen records. Go ahead and search for an item on Amazon and see how responsive that is.

    If you don't like a topic, don't read through it. The Aventus, DHI, LIDGE, MI, etc love will all go away slowly as new hot items come on the scene. It's not a big deal really. Like junk email - if it looks like spam, don't open/read it and then complain. Just delete it.

  18. #48
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,214

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    ^^^^ Have to agree, has nothing to do with performance of the site.

  19. #49
    Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    20,914
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Repetitive and lenghtly discussions of Pure schMaltz and the like have occured with regularity since I first lurked and then joined in October 2006. For some they hit a nerve, for others they are no problem. Also I agree that such posts are not the problem(s) with Basenotes' loading speed/outages.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

  20. #50
    Dependent tonghpafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,828

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Post/thread count is not the reason for the ridiculous Basenotes performance. There are many many sites that dwarf Basenotes in database size and usage. Most likely the Basenotes inadequacy is due to poor database design with little or inadequate indexing and partitioning. And perhaps inadequate hardware. With proper indexing and proper queries, billions of records should only take a few milliseconds longer to search on than a few dozen records. Go ahead and search for an item on Amazon and see how responsive that is.

    If you don't like a topic, don't read through it. The Aventus, DHI, LIDGE, MI, etc love will all go away slowly as new hot items come on the scene. It's not a big deal really. Like junk email - if it looks like spam, don't open/read it and then complain. Just delete it.
    I think it's because the internet tubes get clogged with all the multiple Aventus, LIDGE, and DHI threads.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I think it's because the internet tubes get clogged with all the multiple Aventus, LIDGE, and DHI threads.
    There you said it!

  22. #52

    Default

    My ranking is:

    1. DHI
    2. LIDGE
    3. Aventus

    although I like them all

  23. #53
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    11,878

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    I wonder what would happen if Ilum Dean made DHI and LIDGE clones... and sold them on ebay...

  24. #54
    Dependent martinijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I wonder what would happen if Ilum Dean made DHI and LIDGE clones... and sold them on ebay...

    Lot's of people would start threads about it.
    Noir Drakkar being the first.

  25. #55
    Basenotes Plus
    Dernier_Cri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    By the Big Lake
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    If you don't like a topic, don't read through it. The Aventus, DHI, LIDGE, MI, etc love will all go away slowly as new hot items come on the scene. It's not a big deal really. Like junk email - if it looks like spam, don't open/read it and then complain. Just delete it.
    +1

    Common sense

  26. #56

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    +1

    Common sense

    plus 500. Im not sure which is worse, the repetitive aventus posts or the people who whine and moan about the threads over and over again. How hard is it to skip over the word Aventus or click back on a thread that doesn't have it in the title.. jeez.. there are more important things in life to bitch and cry about.

  27. #57

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Read what you want and ignore what you don't. It's the best way to stay drama free.
    +1.

    </thread>
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
    Or what's a heaven for?"

    - Robert Browning, "Andrea del Sarto"

  28. #58

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    plus 500. Im not sure which is worse, the repetitive aventus posts or the people who whine and moan about the threads over and over again. How hard is it to skip over the word Aventus or click back on a thread that doesn't have it in the title.. jeez.. there are more important things in life to bitch and cry about.
    Think it through and you'll realize there's more to it than that.

    Yes, we can easily skip a thread when browsing stuff to read. But the real problem with a trillion threads on the same topic is that they make search useless because a search leads to a ton of threads with the same basic info, but if you're hoping to learn anything specific, good frigging luck finding it without digging through a pile of practically duplicate threads.

    That's why it bugs me when certain people refuse to add to existing threads and instead start new ones each time they try a new scent. It's vanity. They think their opinion is so important that it requires a new thread even if there are a ton of identical threads on the exact same scent already. I'm still waiting for a new thread titled "YouKnowWho Takes On Acqua Di Gio. Does It Live Up To The Hype?"

    A billion threads on the same topic make search useless. That's a shame since basenotes should be THE place to search for great info.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

  29. #59

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    Many times the word Aventus isn't used in the thread title. Something like this..

    Title: Help please!!

    *open thread*

    "What batch of Aventus is the good one? I want the one with lots of pineapple."

    A question that could've easily been answered by reading through the 100 page Aventus batch number thread, or doing a search.

  30. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Ok that does it...

    if these scents weren't amazing to the majority then they would not be hyped as much. imagine if their was basenotes in the mid 90's, adg and cool water would have the same hype as well as joop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000