Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ok that does it...

No more LIDGE talk. Or Aventus. Or DHI. Please. AAAAAARRRRGHH!

Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Default Re: Ok that does it...

Ha ha. This reminds me of when there were so many threads started about Pure Malt that the moderators had to start a whole new section strictly dedicated to this one fragrance. Some people were begging everybody to quit asking and posting about Pure Malt. If we can't talk about Aventus anymore, maybe we should start up on Pure Malt again. Just kidding.

No kidding - everything there is to say about these has been said 100 times already.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Have you guys tried Pure Malt yet?

My feeling is that nothing will stop people from talking about a particular scent if they want to.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

What people said about those two have been said a myriad of time, but people will express their impression whatever they want.

Those two are great, we know it, but I am also getting sick of seeing the 'identical' threads about concerning these particular scents.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare
    Currently wearing: Mitzah by Christian Dior

Read what you want and ignore what you don't. It's the best way to stay drama free.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I just wish people would use the search function. More often than not, you can find your answer without having to post a new thread.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My feeling is that nothing will stop people from talking about a particular scent if they want to.
    Wrong...i just cast a terrible spell on those who dare even mention those particular scents.

I want to tell you what's funny...I haven't liked one of the major thread contributors. The only one I like, TdH, is basically a negative now on here.

LIDGE--Too old woman perfume on my skin

DHI--Iris--see above

Aventus - Pineapple delight that I couldn't handle after a week.

Name another....Fail, Fail, Fail

I guess I'm ordinary
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

The best practice is to ignore those threads. If the OP sees the thread is ignored that may prompt them to look for the existing ones. Sadly, as others have also mentioned, the search function never works well and is very cumbersome.

Additionally, we have a slew of newcomers to the site on a daily basis who aren't interested in staying too long. They just want to ask their questions and leave. Just look at all the high school, college and compliment questions. Never once do they return to report a success story or even if they followed your advice. After seeing that the responses are too serious and in depth and actually require some research, those particular posters leave. I suppose it's just a part of the evolution of the site.

IMHO people have the right to ask anything they want. A newcomer shouldn't be obligated to search first before they ask a question. If that's the case, almost everything has been covered before so why even bother? Not all threads can be about new stuff or be brilliantly thought out. With all due respect, for up to the minute news, there are far better sites out there than this.

When I read some of the old reviews and threads on this site I realize how many long term, seriously knowledgable and valuable members have left quietly never to post again. I may be wrong but it seems to me BN gradually gained fame as "this great site you can get advice on cologne" and became this revolving door. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT I'm not criticizing it. It's just an observation. Technically speaking it's better for a site to be more popular and have notoriety out there with more visitors.

I still enjoy some threads here and must say WE STILL have many knowledgable and valuable members from whom I learn a lot. I respect those contributions tremendously.
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 9th February 2013 at 03:31 AM.

Blog Entries

The homepage of Basenotes must be changed to a plain page with a big textbox and a big button that says SEARCH to avoid repetitive threads. Make it applicable only to new members with less than 100 posts. Problem solved.

Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Wishful thinking bro!

I guess they won't stop posting about it till "Pure Aventus Homme Intense Extreme Malt 25 Anniversary Edition" in a 500ml will be a vintage must have!
    Last edited by TLS; 9th February 2013 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS:2839675
    I guess they won't stop posting about it till "Pure Aventus Homme Intense Extreme Malt 25 Anniversary Edition" in a 500ml will be a vintage must have!
    I lol'd.

Aventus talk really does set my eyes a-rolling, I have to say. Especially since (I'm gonna say it) it really isn't that great! I honestly don't know if I've come to resent it because of all the hype.

Batch numbers, smatch numbers! Pfft.

Oh dear....I received my bottle of Slumberhouse Ore today, and was going to say that it has the cocoa of LIDGE with the booze of a Frapin and a dry woody base that leads me to believe that it's going to become quite a favourite when winter hits in a few months.

I'd best retreat and keep my comparisons to myself :P

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Oh dear....I received my bottle of Slumberhouse Ore today, and was going to say that it has the cocoa of LIDGE with the booze of a Frapin and a dry woody base that leads me to believe that it's going to become quite a favourite when winter hits in a few months.

I'd best retreat and keep my comparisons to myself :P
    Just let us know when it comes in an intense or extreme version...

Basenotes Plus

Did I tell everyone I scored Aventus Batch No. 69?

..........I just made that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    Did I tell everyone I scored Aventus Batch No. 69?

..........I just made that up.
    No you didn't (made that up)

Blog Entries

I had to Google "LIDGE perfume" to find out what it is.

So how about that Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille? Nifty stuff, 'ey?

I'm gonna get some hate for this.. but LIDGE sucks imo. I mostly get patchouli.. played out. If there's 2 things I can't stand.. they're patchouli based fragrances, and amber based ones.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Common sense, and "forum etiquette" says that you should try to search first. You will find your answer fast that way if you have a question. However, if you just want to talk about or sing the praises of a particular fragrance, then why not? Isn't that the point? What else are we doing here then?

Like i always say, you don't get sucked into a topic as soon as you get logged into basenotes. You have to willingly CLICK on the thread. So if you don't want to discuss, then keep scrolling.

Yip, i feel terribly bored whenever I see a thread with one of those fragrances in the title. I think I must be an olfactory defective because
    a) I don't like Aventus at all. It is waaaaay to rich and sweet to my nose
    b) I much prefer LIDG to LIDGE. (LIDG is and always will be one of my top 10)
    c) I hate to think DHI is so popular. Seems like every second guy must be wearing a scent I love! In addition, I think I am growing to prefer the original EDT version (see b) )

No problem, after all, fragrance industry has so much to offer apart from these scents

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    No more LIDGE talk. Or Aventus. Or DHI. Please. AAAAAARRRRGHH!

You do realize you just started a thread talking about those fragrances, right?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I just don't read them. Problem solved.

(Except when you can't tell from the title of the thread what it's about.)
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    True. But you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    But if someone reads this it might just stop them from starting a genuine "Aventus is great" thread. The world gets a little bit darker each time I look at the forum page and see another thread with Aventus in the title. Lidge and DHI I can cope with. (Just about)

I also get tired of the never-ending recommendations of Burberry London and TF Tobacco Vanille whenever someone asks for a good winter/cold weather scent. There's not much originality when it comes to recommendations here. Too often it is one of the over-hyped designers or one of the expensive, over-rated niche frags. I think there are lots of good, affordable, less-discussed designer frags.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    But if someone reads this it might just stop them from starting a genuine "Aventus is great" thread.
    Not gonna happen. Most people don't seem to even want to use the search function. They'd rather start a new question than add to an existing thread. That's a shame because it makes searching less useful for those who DO search since results will be scattered among 25 nearly identical threads rather than shared in one or two.

I think it's a vanity thing.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam