Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ok that does it...

No more LIDGE talk. Or Aventus. Or DHI. Please. AAAAAARRRRGHH!

Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Default Re: Ok that does it...

Ha ha. This reminds me of when there were so many threads started about Pure Malt that the moderators had to start a whole new section strictly dedicated to this one fragrance. Some people were begging everybody to quit asking and posting about Pure Malt. If we can't talk about Aventus anymore, maybe we should start up on Pure Malt again. Just kidding.

No kidding - everything there is to say about these has been said 100 times already.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Have you guys tried Pure Malt yet?

My feeling is that nothing will stop people from talking about a particular scent if they want to.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

What people said about those two have been said a myriad of time, but people will express their impression whatever they want.

Those two are great, we know it, but I am also getting sick of seeing the 'identical' threads about concerning these particular scents.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Read what you want and ignore what you don't. It's the best way to stay drama free.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I just wish people would use the search function. More often than not, you can find your answer without having to post a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My feeling is that nothing will stop people from talking about a particular scent if they want to.
    Wrong...i just cast a terrible spell on those who dare even mention those particular scents.

I want to tell you what's funny...I haven't liked one of the major thread contributors. The only one I like, TdH, is basically a negative now on here.

LIDGE--Too old woman perfume on my skin

DHI--Iris--see above

Aventus - Pineapple delight that I couldn't handle after a week.

Name another....Fail, Fail, Fail

I guess I'm ordinary
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

The best practice is to ignore those threads. If the OP sees the thread is ignored that may prompt them to look for the existing ones. Sadly, as others have also mentioned, the search function never works well and is very cumbersome.

Additionally, we have a slew of newcomers to the site on a daily basis who aren't interested in staying too long. They just want to ask their questions and leave. Just look at all the high school, college and compliment questions. Never once do they return to report a success story or even if they followed your advice. After seeing that the responses are too serious and in depth and actually require some research, those particular posters leave. I suppose it's just a part of the evolution of the site.

IMHO people have the right to ask anything they want. A newcomer shouldn't be obligated to search first before they ask a question. If that's the case, almost everything has been covered before so why even bother? Not all threads can be about new stuff or be brilliantly thought out. With all due respect, for up to the minute news, there are far better sites out there than this.

When I read some of the old reviews and threads on this site I realize how many long term, seriously knowledgable and valuable members have left quietly never to post again. I may be wrong but it seems to me BN gradually gained fame as "this great site you can get advice on cologne" and became this revolving door. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT I'm not criticizing it. It's just an observation. Technically speaking it's better for a site to be more popular and have notoriety out there with more visitors.

I still enjoy some threads here and must say WE STILL have many knowledgable and valuable members from whom I learn a lot. I respect those contributions tremendously.
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 9th February 2013 at 04:31 AM.

Blog Entries

The homepage of Basenotes must be changed to a plain page with a big textbox and a big button that says SEARCH to avoid repetitive threads. Make it applicable only to new members with less than 100 posts. Problem solved.

Wishful thinking bro!

I guess they won't stop posting about it till "Pure Aventus Homme Intense Extreme Malt 25 Anniversary Edition" in a 500ml will be a vintage must have!
    Last edited by TLS; 9th February 2013 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS:2839675
    I guess they won't stop posting about it till "Pure Aventus Homme Intense Extreme Malt 25 Anniversary Edition" in a 500ml will be a vintage must have!
    I lol'd.

Aventus talk really does set my eyes a-rolling, I have to say. Especially since (I'm gonna say it) it really isn't that great! I honestly don't know if I've come to resent it because of all the hype.

Batch numbers, smatch numbers! Pfft.

Oh dear....I received my bottle of Slumberhouse Ore today, and was going to say that it has the cocoa of LIDGE with the booze of a Frapin and a dry woody base that leads me to believe that it's going to become quite a favourite when winter hits in a few months.

I'd best retreat and keep my comparisons to myself :P

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Oh dear....I received my bottle of Slumberhouse Ore today, and was going to say that it has the cocoa of LIDGE with the booze of a Frapin and a dry woody base that leads me to believe that it's going to become quite a favourite when winter hits in a few months.

I'd best retreat and keep my comparisons to myself :P
    Just let us know when it comes in an intense or extreme version...

Basenotes Plus

Did I tell everyone I scored Aventus Batch No. 69?

..........I just made that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    Did I tell everyone I scored Aventus Batch No. 69?

..........I just made that up.
    No you didn't (made that up)

I had to Google "LIDGE perfume" to find out what it is.

So how about that Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille? Nifty stuff, 'ey?

I'm gonna get some hate for this.. but LIDGE sucks imo. I mostly get patchouli.. played out. If there's 2 things I can't stand.. they're patchouli based fragrances, and amber based ones.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Common sense, and "forum etiquette" says that you should try to search first. You will find your answer fast that way if you have a question. However, if you just want to talk about or sing the praises of a particular fragrance, then why not? Isn't that the point? What else are we doing here then?

Like i always say, you don't get sucked into a topic as soon as you get logged into basenotes. You have to willingly CLICK on the thread. So if you don't want to discuss, then keep scrolling.

Yip, i feel terribly bored whenever I see a thread with one of those fragrances in the title. I think I must be an olfactory defective because
    a) I don't like Aventus at all. It is waaaaay to rich and sweet to my nose
    b) I much prefer LIDG to LIDGE. (LIDG is and always will be one of my top 10)
    c) I hate to think DHI is so popular. Seems like every second guy must be wearing a scent I love! In addition, I think I am growing to prefer the original EDT version (see b) )

No problem, after all, fragrance industry has so much to offer apart from these scents

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    No more LIDGE talk. Or Aventus. Or DHI. Please. AAAAAARRRRGHH!

You do realize you just started a thread talking about those fragrances, right?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I just don't read them. Problem solved.

(Except when you can't tell from the title of the thread what it's about.)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    True. But you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

But if someone reads this it might just stop them from starting a genuine "Aventus is great" thread. The world gets a little bit darker each time I look at the forum page and see another thread with Aventus in the title. Lidge and DHI I can cope with. (Just about)

I also get tired of the never-ending recommendations of Burberry London and TF Tobacco Vanille whenever someone asks for a good winter/cold weather scent. There's not much originality when it comes to recommendations here. Too often it is one of the over-hyped designers or one of the expensive, over-rated niche frags. I think there are lots of good, affordable, less-discussed designer frags.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    But if someone reads this it might just stop them from starting a genuine "Aventus is great" thread.
    Not gonna happen. Most people don't seem to even want to use the search function. They'd rather start a new question than add to an existing thread. That's a shame because it makes searching less useful for those who DO search since results will be scattered among 25 nearly identical threads rather than shared in one or two.

I think it's a vanity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Read what you want and ignore what you don't. It's the best way to stay drama free.
    I agree. It's a free country, or website in this case. Just be a grown-up. No one forces anyone to read a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    I also get tired of the never-ending recommendations of Burberry London and TF Tobacco Vanille whenever someone asks for a good winter/cold weather scent.
    OMFG. This. For the longest time, I thought Burberry London was the punchline to a basenotes inside joke. I'm not saying Burberry London is bad. Not at all. But it seems like, no matter what the question is, the answer will be Burberry London.

"I'm looking for a great date scent." Burberry London.
    "I'm looking for something to wear on a rainy day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag for the middle of summer." Burberry London.
    "I'm going to crouch below my ex girlfriend's window and peek after dark even though I'm totally not a stalker at all. What should I wear?" Burberry London.
    "I want to smell like Christmas." Burberry London.
    "I want to smell like the 4th of July." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like the walk of shame on the subway after a one night stand the morning after Valentine's Day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like pine." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like peaches." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like my neighbor's cat after it got sprayed by my other neighbor's cat after getting sprayed by a skunk." Burberry London.

I'm sorry, but Burberry London is ok at best, and it sure isn't the be all and end all. Not. Even. Close.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    I also get tired of the never-ending recommendations of Burberry London and TF Tobacco Vanille whenever someone asks for a good winter/cold weather scent. There's not much originality when it comes to recommendations here. Too often it is one of the over-hyped designers or one of the expensive, over-rated niche frags. I think there are lots of good, affordable, less-discussed designer frags.
    Basenotes is a lot like talk radio in that regard. After reading for awhile, you pretty much know what you're going to get when you tune in.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I agree. It's a free country, or website in this case. Just be a grown-up. No one forces anyone to read a thread.
    I totally agree. Everyone here has the right to express their opinions here as many times as they want as misinformed as
    those opinions may be.

Everyone here has the right to express their opinions here as many times as they want
    Yes, but there are usually more appropriate places to do so rather than starting a new thread. It's why we have stickies, and the search function. Can you imagine what it'd be like if everyone started a new thread every time they got a compliment, or bought a new bottle? I have no problem with an inexperienced member starting a thread about an already well discussed topic, I take issue with the BN veterans that should know better by now.

Basenotes Plus

Well.....I have no problem with superflous threads. Who's to judge? Like the man says, just move on.

Thank Grant for keeping storage up to date and running. What a headache he must have.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I have no problem with superflous threads. Who's to judge?
    Good thing you're not a mod lol
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 10th February 2013 at 07:51 AM.

When will Pure Havane be rereleased?

Purchase from MuglerStoreUSA.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    When will Pure Havane be rereleased?

Ah, I have long wanted to apply some Doctor Who TARDIS technology to those threads, to prevent me from seeing them... I am also a bit bugged by all the "see me!!!"-types, whose only goal is to up their post count and makes one superfluous thread after the other. But that really is not anything we can change, and we just have to live with it There will always be people who scream for attention, because it makes them feel important, valued or better, and there will always be people to whom(?) the search function is invisible
    Last edited by Norstrøm; 10th February 2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Who, whom, which, derp...
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

OMFG. This. For the longest time, I thought Burberry London was the punchline to a basenotes inside joke. I'm not saying Burberry London is bad. Not at all. But it seems like, no matter what the question is, the answer will be Burberry London.

"I'm going to crouch below my ex girlfriend's window and peek after dark even though I'm totally not a stalker at all. What should I wear?" Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like the walk of shame on the subway after a one night stand the morning after Valentine's Day." Burberry London.
    "I need a frag that smells like my neighbor's cat after it got sprayed by my other neighbor's cat after getting sprayed by a skunk." Burberry London.

I'm sorry, but Burberry London is ok at best, and it sure isn't the be all and end all. Not. Even. Close.
    "I'm looking for a great scent that isn't hyped on BN!" Burber... Oops!!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    What people said about those two have been said a myriad of time, but people will express their impression whatever they want.

Those two are great, we know it, but I am also getting sick of seeing the 'identical' threads about concerning these particular scents.
    I'll agree with the part about being sick of seeing the same threads over and over again, but I definitely am not part of the "we" you are referring to that "knows" those fragrances are "great" as I was indifferent to or disliked all of those mentioned in the OP.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I think it probably is time for a separate section for Aventus threads in all honesty.

Blog Entries

Grrrrr! When I first joined BN every third thread had the word "Aventus" in the title. I tolerated it, then grew sick and ridiculed, then got outright nasty about them. People were posting their fave batch #, comparing it to every other frag out there...It seems to have slacked up lately...I also hate when someone doesn't bother to do a "search" for a topic before starting a new thread...Then there are two posts back to back about the same friggen Aventus Batch #! ...There I feel better!

- - - Updated - - -

Well.....I have no problem with superflous threads. Who's to judge? Like the man says, just move on.
    I CARE!!!!! People will complain loud and hard about how slow BN is, but will post side-by-side virtually identical posts, and others then post the same identical threads within the post. No wonder the servers are overloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Basenotes Plus

Are you sure your not talking about Aventus?

I guess since we are on the subject of repetitive threads, How about . . .

"I Bought XYZ from some online site, Is it Real or Fake"

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I CARE!!!!! People will complain loud and hard about how slow BN is, but will post side-by-side virtually identical posts, and others then post the same identical threads within the post. No wonder the servers are overloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post/thread count is not the reason for the ridiculous Basenotes performance. There are many many sites that dwarf Basenotes in database size and usage. Most likely the Basenotes inadequacy is due to poor database design with little or inadequate indexing and partitioning. And perhaps inadequate hardware. With proper indexing and proper queries, billions of records should only take a few milliseconds longer to search on than a few dozen records. Go ahead and search for an item on Amazon and see how responsive that is.

If you don't like a topic, don't read through it. The Aventus, DHI, LIDGE, MI, etc love will all go away slowly as new hot items come on the scene. It's not a big deal really. Like junk email - if it looks like spam, don't open/read it and then complain. Just delete it.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Repetitive and lenghtly discussions of Pure schMaltz and the like have occured with regularity since I first lurked and then joined in October 2006. For some they hit a nerve, for others they are no problem. Also I agree that such posts are not the problem(s) with Basenotes' loading speed/outages.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Post/thread count is not the reason for the ridiculous Basenotes performance. There are many many sites that dwarf Basenotes in database size and usage. Most likely the Basenotes inadequacy is due to poor database design with little or inadequate indexing and partitioning. And perhaps inadequate hardware. With proper indexing and proper queries, billions of records should only take a few milliseconds longer to search on than a few dozen records. Go ahead and search for an item on Amazon and see how responsive that is.

If you don't like a topic, don't read through it. The Aventus, DHI, LIDGE, MI, etc love will all go away slowly as new hot items come on the scene. It's not a big deal really. Like junk email - if it looks like spam, don't open/read it and then complain. Just delete it.
    I think it's because the internet tubes get clogged with all the multiple Aventus, LIDGE, and DHI threads.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I think it's because the internet tubes get clogged with all the multiple Aventus, LIDGE, and DHI threads.
    There you said it!

My ranking is:

1. DHI
    2. LIDGE
    3. Aventus

although I like them all

I wonder what would happen if Ilum Dean made DHI and LIDGE clones... and sold them on ebay...

I wonder what would happen if Ilum Dean made DHI and LIDGE clones... and sold them on ebay...

Lot's of people would start threads about it.
    Noir Drakkar being the first.

Basenotes Plus

+1

Common sense

+1

Common sense

plus 500. Im not sure which is worse, the repetitive aventus posts or the people who whine and moan about the threads over and over again. How hard is it to skip over the word Aventus or click back on a thread that doesn't have it in the title.. jeez.. there are more important things in life to bitch and cry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    +1.

</thread>
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
    Or what's a heaven for?"

- Robert Browning, "Andrea del Sarto"

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    plus 500. Im not sure which is worse, the repetitive aventus posts or the people who whine and moan about the threads over and over again. How hard is it to skip over the word Aventus or click back on a thread that doesn't have it in the title.. jeez.. there are more important things in life to bitch and cry about.
    Think it through and you'll realize there's more to it than that.

Yes, we can easily skip a thread when browsing stuff to read. But the real problem with a trillion threads on the same topic is that they make search useless because a search leads to a ton of threads with the same basic info, but if you're hoping to learn anything specific, good frigging luck finding it without digging through a pile of practically duplicate threads.

That's why it bugs me when certain people refuse to add to existing threads and instead start new ones each time they try a new scent. It's vanity. They think their opinion is so important that it requires a new thread even if there are a ton of identical threads on the exact same scent already. I'm still waiting for a new thread titled "YouKnowWho Takes On Acqua Di Gio. Does It Live Up To The Hype?"

A billion threads on the same topic make search useless. That's a shame since basenotes should be THE place to search for great info.

Many times the word Aventus isn't used in the thread title. Something like this..

Title: Help please!!

*open thread*

"What batch of Aventus is the good one? I want the one with lots of pineapple."

A question that could've easily been answered by reading through the 100 page Aventus batch number thread, or doing a search.

Banned
    Blog Entries

if these scents weren't amazing to the majority then they would not be hyped as much. imagine if their was basenotes in the mid 90's, adg and cool water would have the same hype as well as joop.