Code of Conduct

Question What do you think of Fleur du Male??

I tried this a month or so ago at a Perfumania, the girl behind the counter and I had a nice chat going and I asked her what her least favorite frag was there, she sprayed it on a card and I couldn't help saying how much I liked it. I didn't have enough $ to add this to my purchase at the time and was wondering what it would do over time so I kept the card in my wallet and went home. The scent on the card lasted a good day and a half and I just grew more and more fond of it. Last week I went back to the same store and luckily there was one bottle left and it was on clearance, so I got the 4.2 oz bottle for $34 and went home very happy.

I have never much liked any of the JPG line to buy them or even wear them outside trying them in the store, but this one Has shot up to my top 3 and may be pushing for #1. I haven't worn it "out" per se yet and am really interested on how it will be received. I have just been spraying a tiny bit for me here and there and I can't stop sniffing my wrists when I wear it. To me it's a visceral reaction where my eyes roll back in my head and I just think to myself "god I love this stuff!".

If anyone has any input on wearing this one please let me know. I know the JPG's can be love or hate frags, but I never saw too much on here about this one individually. I see many posts where they are trying to narrow the choice of next purchase between FdM and something else or asking which is the most feminine frag FdM or something else, so I wanted to see what ppl just thought of this one on it's own. Thanks
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Default Re: What do you think of Fleur du Male??

Like it quite a bit, esp the top notes are great. Also it has some balls and projects, which always is a plus. Neat bottle too.

I like it. It is very unique and everytime I wear it I feel dirty and wicked (sexually). I consider it as a unique scent for hot weather (in a very small doses).
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I thought it smelled like an old lady when I first tried it but the more I wear it, the more I like it.
    The cologne version which named La Cologne Fleur du Male is also very nice, a very different scent from the original, in fact it smells very similar to Fleur de Citronnier by Serge Lutens

It is sad that this is a major commercial failure for JPG. IMO Fleur du Male along with another "unpopular" Gaultier2 are the best offers from JPG. They are much better than Le Male in term of complexity and creativity

Banned

My memores constructed some similarities to Sweet Oriental Dream (Montale), but I'm not sure of that. I find FdM quite over the top and therefore an interesting fragrance.

Have it and like it.

Easily one of my top 5.

The great sillage and longevity are an added bonus.
    Mark K

I think 4.2oz for $34 is a steal! I liked it much better than the rest of the line, but not quite enough to own it.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I got the most positive comment ever received when wearing this. The lady told me it was the best smelling fragrances she had ever smelled on anyone. I agreed. I absolutely love this scent, but my wife does not. Therefore I am sans bottle at this time.

I'm growing more fond of FdM each time I wear it. Last evening when wearing it I conjured up the thought of an early eighteenth-century harlot smelling like this in London. Overall it does evoke sensuality and I'm not sure if that's due to its skanky dry down or what.

Edit: Moreover, the scent of a man who'd just left the brothel in Tyburn Square.
    Last edited by Winterbourne; 6th July 2012 at 04:23 PM.

This is one I do not like.....I tried.....It's just not for me!!!
    Gary

The top notes are nice (I love orange blossom), but soon, a nauseating synthetic mess rises from within and completely spoils it for me.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I'd prefer the cologne, less powdery on my skin

- - - Updated - - -

I'd prefer the cologne, less powdery on my skin
    smells are surer than sights or sounds to make your heartstrings crack.

-Vladimir Nabokov

hair-rising

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    hair-rising
    LOL!

Yes, loud, floral sort of obnoxious and that is why I sort of like it in very small doses.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Plastic flowers for men.

I think its a really well made scent, yet seems to be the less noticed younger brother of Le Male. My only issue is that I never wear it. I do, however, want to try out the La Cologne.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Junkie

I couldn't get the bottle or the card that I sprayed it on away from me fast enough. Man, I did not like it...but I didn't give it a fair shot because I was so put off by the opening. I should give it a fair shot and see...I'm not really a fan of florals, but if some of you like it that much, I think it's worth a revisit.

Awesome stuff that needs to be applied with extreme discretion - unless you want to slap those around you.

Basenotes Plus

A synthetic orange blossom and powder nightmare that lasts for days and will induce headaches if over applied. Not for me at all.

It's a great fragrance IMO. I love the orange blossom and how unashamed it is as a composition. Many disagree, but I can detect the original Le Male DNA very strongly in the dry down.

I hate it.

I can't stand this stuff.

Love it !!!
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Whoa! For some reason I never got any emails saying ppl had responded to this post. Nice to see it garnered a few remarks I can easily see this is a love or hate frag, and I amazed myself at how much I like it since I really don't like much from jpg. $34 for the bottle was a steal, but it didn't smell as fresh as the tester on the counter but still makes me swoon
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

The 2000s Kouros.

A total scrubber on me - one of the worst.

Love this. Picked it up over the weekend and have to keep sniffing my arm.

I love it too. It kind of like Le Male meets Joop Homme.

FdM was too much for me, and this is from someone who likes Mazzolari Lui and Kouros.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

It's a mood fragrance for me. It's an odd bird.

Beautiful.

Generic and loud ....

I'm a fan. I have a really handy - sized one, so I always bring it with me when I travel overseas (mainstays are usually JPG Fleur de Male & Terre de Hermes). The only obviously flowery and powdery scent in my wardrobe so far. And totally agree on the great sillage & projection and liking it more as I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Igorbg View Post
    Generic and loud ....
    Say what you like about it, but "generic"? Absolutely not.