Code of Conduct

Default Traditional British barbershop scent

I am looking for a traditional British barbershop scent and narrowed my choices to Taylor's shaving shop cologne or Penhaligon's racquets formula. how do they compare in term of quality? taylors is quite cheap while penhaligons a bit pricey, does it worth the extra money?

Default Re: Traditional British barbershop scent

I really do like Racquets, but Shaving Shop is just too good a scent to pass up. It's the best scent that TOBS do (Sandalwood a moderate distance behind in second).

SS wins on longevity and price, and I think its scent is better. It's a beautiful citrus/powder/spice fragrance that, especially when coupled with the aftershave, lasts all day on me.

The fact that you can also pair them with the shaving cream and the shampoo/body wash is just tops.

This is coming from an ardent Pens fan, too. I've just added LP 9 to BB, Endymion and Sartorial.

Those are both good ones. The Taylor's is woody, dry and spicy whereas Racquets is more citric, powdery and sweeter. Racquets is a personal favourite so it is well worth the extra in my book (that said I have never paid retail for any Pens, they pop up on eBay a lot and I got Racquets in a sale). Taylor's range is good for the price.

Of the two, Penhaligons.

Basenotes Plus

Taylors of Old Bond St Luxury Sandalwood Cologne smells exactly like you've just been for an old fashioned shave and haircut.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

thank's for your comments. i am willing to pay extra for RACQUETS but i read so many reviews bashing penhaligon for cheapening their frags and that the quality isn't there any more. i am curious about taylor's sandalwood but if it is related to Brooksbrothers 1818, it is not my style.

Have you tried Floris No.89?

I tried most of Floris line but wasn't impressed by any.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    Have you tried Floris No.89?

Check out Murdock.com. Nice barbershop scents. Black Tea is a favorite.

Penhalligons comes to mid. Is murdocks black tea a barbershop frag?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Penhaligons comes to mind. Is murdocks black tea a barbershop frag?
    Yes and a most excellent one which I'm wearing as my SOTD. Murdocks are a modern high class barber's who have four shops in the London area. They have a range of their own fragrances which are Black Tea, Patchouli, Fourgere, Bright Leaf, Avalon and Vetiver. I have four bottles from their range and they are good quality, my favorites are Black Tea and Patchouli. They smell really good and are versatile as they are light fragrances.

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Yes and a most excellent one which I'm wearing as my SOTD. Murdocks are a modern high class barber's who have four shops in the London area. They have a range of their own fragrances which are Black Tea, Patchouli, Fourgere, Bright Leaf, Avalon and Vetiver. I have four bottles from their range and they are good quality, my favorites are Black Tea and Patchouli. They smell really good and are versatile as they are light fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Penhalligons comes to mid. Is murdocks black tea a barbershop frag?
    I have never seen a tea scent described as 'barbershop' before. Perhaps others might chime in. Of the Murdock range I would only call three barbershop, based on historical precedents: Avalon (your basic eau de cologne), Vetiver and Fougere.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I have never seen a tea scent described as 'barbershop' before. Perhaps others might chime in. Of the Murdock range I would only call three barbershop, based on historical precedents: Avalon (your basic eau de cologne), Vetiver and Fougere.
    I think it's due to the Tea note been a modern concept in fragrances that has never been used in the days of yore. But Murdocks are a modern barbers and they actual use their fragrances in their shops so imo I would say Black Tea and there other frags are modern barbershop colognes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I think it's due to the Tea note been a modern concept in fragrances that has never been used in the days of yore. But Murdocks are a modern barbers and they actual use their fragrances in their shops so imo I would say Black Tea and there other frags are modern barbershop colognes.
    Fair dos - Murdock is redefining the field, perhaps - but the OP was looking for a traditional barbershop scent.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Check out Murdock.com. Nice barbershop scents. Black Tea is a favorite.
    www.murdocklondon.com

DS & Durga - Burning Barbershop