Code of Conduct

Default A tribute to my son

I am working on a fragrance in tribute to my son who passed away and I need a little help. He died very young and I want a scent that reminds you of a baby. I want something soft clean with a hint of a woodsy accord to it. I guess a mix of le male and a light oud wood. any thought on this?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A tribute to my son

((Bridgewater))!! What a beautiful idea!

I am deeply sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Your tribute is unique and touching. Please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks he was my first born, died when he was 5. Im calling it August 23 the day he was born. I know what I want it to smell like but figuring out what notes i need to acquire this is proving real hard I got the soft side almost to where i want it but im having a hard time trying to add the woodys note with out it getting to earthy. Im now rethinking the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgewater View Post
    Thanks he was my first born, died when he was 5. Im calling it August 23 the day he was born. I know what I want it to smell like but figuring out what notes i need to acquire this is proving real hard I got the soft side almost to where i want it but im having a hard time trying to add the woodys note with out it getting to earthy. Im now rethinking the woods.
    You should try Versace's Baby Blue Jeans as a reference point. I think it smells pretty close to what you are trying to achieve.

just watched a review, I need to smell this. there are a ton of notes in this. i heard it smells live ed hardy villein, is this true?

Wow. What an incredible inspiration for creating a scent. My heart is with you, Bridgewater.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgewater View Post
    just watched a review, I need to smell this. there are a ton of notes in this. i heard it smells live ed hardy villein, is this true?
    Never tried the Ed Hardy but the Versace is a quality frag for sure

Yes dear Bridgewater, beautiful idea.

I guess the Iris/powder thing is obvious.

And purely for the symbolism, Immortelle.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

Some kinds of ambergris have the exact smell of a fresh newborn baby, yet with an ambery smell. Maybe that would work. There are lots of different kinds of ambergris, though, so you will have to search for the perfect one.

I been trying to get my hand on some ambergris but really dont know what company to get it for. if you can link me to a good supplier that would be great

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    Yes dear Bridgewater, beautiful idea.

I guess the Iris/powder thing is obvious.

And purely for the symbolism, Immortelle.
    I just ordered some Eo and was about to get Helichrysum (Immortelle) but it is pricey $88 for a half oz. I just cant blind buy this from this company not knowing how it smells.

Bridgewater, In what country do you reside?
    You're right to question Immortelle, it has many different sides and the odor profile depends on many things, so each material will likely be different from a different source...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Im in the US. This fragrance thing is so deep there are countless notes you can blend and create great things with. my inventory is slowly growing and my wish list is growing fast.

Awesome inspiration. Tuberose is quite a clean smell, and a bit of lavender and rose could make it more powdery, and a vanilla base could be nice and sweet, but it sounds like you want a men's fragrance, so you could possibly try some water notes or petitgrain/geranium with the lavendar. Woods like you mentioned or musk could work great for the base. There are so many options and it's hard to know over writing what's in your head. The above is just my random thoughts.

It sounds like you know what you want, but it might be helpful to think about the environment, it was obviously important to you when he was born or in his infancy (not negating the rest of his life at all though). What sort of smells do you remember? What did he like to eat? What did the nursery smell of? Did you use a certain type of powder? These things subtley come into your thinking of what you want it to smell like, if you can start to pull it apart what "soft clean" smells like.

If i'm not mistaken, Rosewood is thought to be a key ingredient in "Baby Powder" smell. Obviously J&J keeps their formula very secret.

The basic skeleton for the typical 'baby powder' smell is 1 part Rose and 1 part Vanilla.
    A nice addition to this could be, or even substitute the rose, Rosewood and/or Lily of the Valley.
    The vanilla powder effect can be enhanced by all kinds of 'orris', from Violet leafs, to beta Ionone.
    I think for starters keep it simple and experiment with this suggestions in different volume parts.
    It really depends on the odor profile of the essential oils / absolutes / aroma chemicals used.
    More inspiration in formulations is on my blog.
    All the best,

Jeroen.

Thanks for all the input. Yes I want to capture that baby moment because even at 5 with his condition he was still stuck in a infant state. He did have this scent to him that I loved but I can't put my finger on it.

For as me wanting a male scent yes, I would say more unisex but leaning more toward male. The fresh water or rain is a note I really want to add, or fresh dirt

- - - Updated - - -

This community is great i was just blessed with some Immortelle from a fellow basenoter.

I originally posted this in the Ambergris thread in this DIY forum:

You can get ambergris from Matt Turner in New Zealand. You can see some of what he has at Matt's Photobucket page.
    I bought 3gm for about $80 plus shipping--the stuff I describe above in this thread. He might ask you to do the transaction through E-Bay, but it's a good experience. Mine came in a timely fashion and it smells amazing. However: I have not yet been able to capture that smell in an alcohol tincture. Could be I need to mash up the whole 3 grams in 95% Ethanol. I kind of want to keep a couple grams whole so I can show people that smell whenever necessary.

is this solid, is it real Ambergris? or synthetics?

- - - Updated - - -

is this solid, is it real Ambergris? or synthetics?

It's real. Just click on the link and look at the pictures. Mine was this one: http://s1192.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=6&o=8