Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What is the best amber fragrance for men?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ambre Sultan

27 40.91%
  • Ambre Fetiche

4 6.06%
  • Ambre 114

20 30.30%
  • Ambre Precieux

14 21.21%
  • Ambre Aurea

1 1.52%

Default Best Amber Fragrance for Men

What is the best amber fragrance for men? i have tried Ambre Sultan, Ambre Fetiche, Ambre Precieux, and Ambre Aurea. AS was good once you get past the harsh dry herbs at the top. Ambre P was ok but didnt impress me much. AF is great with the iris absolute but i cant find it anywhere online. AA was pretty spectacular but it was kind of pricey. i think the best one so far is AF. Are there any other ambers I should try?
    Want more reviews? Check out my fragrance blog, In The Nose
    Http://Dkchocoman.wordpress.com

Default Re: Best Amber Fragrance for Men

Of the one's I've smelled, Ambre 114. It's light and airy compared to a lot of other ambers, but still manages to be warm and cozy. Great longevity as well. It just smells so good.

From your list, with the exception of Ambre Fetiche, I like all the others. I'll also add Ambra Mediterranea by I Profumi Del Forte as one of the thickest and deepest ambers ever (but you have to be fine with "powerful" fragrances to properly appreciate it).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

From this list, Ambre Sultan is my favorite

Default Try this

Hi, I asked the same question about a week ago. Here's the link :

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/322706-Best-Amber-Frag-for-Men?p=2832243#post2832243

You really should try:
    Profumi del forte ambre mediterranea
    Atelier ambre nui
    Mona di oreo ambra

I have ordered a full bottle of the profumi.

Sound Scents

My answer would have been none of the above, as I personally prefer Les Nombres d'Or Ambre by a slight edge over Ambre 114. That said its quite close and since Ambre 114 is in the poll I voted for it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire and Ambre Precieux are my favourites when it comes to actually wearing an amber. These are very balanced compositions. Many are too much for me.

I love Amber Absolute, the incense notes really work for me. Can still be had on eBay.

Although once my bottle's run out, I'll be on to Amber Sultan, if I can't find more.

+1 on Ambre mediterranea as the most masculine amber due to woods mixing in with the amber. A very woody amber, though I do prefer Ambre 114 due to its orchestrated beauty.

Theres some great ambres out from sweet to dry and everything in between but for a masculine one Ambre 114 is my hombre. Will have to give Ambre mediterranea a look in though...anything with Mediterrean vibe is of intrigue
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Rarely do I find myself in disagreement with the excellent nose of Alfarom but I recommend Ambre Fetiche as the perfect amber for the modern man.
    Last edited by Richaki; 11th February 2013 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire.
    Good call...

Quote Originally Posted by Richaki View Post
    Rarely do I find myself in disagreement with the excellent nose of Alfarom but I recommend Amber Fetiche as the perfect Amber for the modern man.
    Thanks

Ambre Sultan from your list.

Otherwise the quintessential amber has to be Ambra Mediterranea. Bought it from a mere half sniff.

for swap/sale:

Ambre Mona di Orio and Costume National Scent Intense (both unisex in my opinion).

Ambre Précieux

Ambre 114 for me

I'm wearing today Ambrarem Histoires de Parfums and i smell a wonderful animalic amber/iris really peppery at the beginning, herbal and aromatic. I waiting for the full evolution.

Ambre Sultan

Ambre Fetiche

Ambre Sultan from the list though Amber Oud by Kilian is my favourite amber

114 or Sultan from the list. I also like Ambre Nuit. Overall though, my favorite is Amber Absolute.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

From the list, Amber Sultan. Sadly, i have not smelt the others except for amber Fetiche. I am surprised that Montale's Blue Amber is not on the list. A great amber with lots of depth.

Another to be sampled is the obscure Un Air d'Arabie amber by Dorin. All that's good about amber, without sweetness.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Every one on your poll is quite good. I voted for Ambre 114.

However, I would suggest you try Ambre Mediterranea, TF Amber Absolute, and (in my opinion the best) Armani Prive Ambre Orient.

And lets not forget D & G The One!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    From the list, Amber Sultan. Sadly, i have not smelt the others except for amber Fetiche. I am surprised that Montale's Blue Amber is not on the list. A great amber with lots of depth.
    I've never smelled Blue Amber, but I'm lead to believe Ambre 114 is similar but of a better quality.

I like Ambra Aurea, but it is incredibly expensive and 100 ml would last several lifetimes IMO.
    I think Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche can still be found on beautyencounter...

I'd also suggest L'Ombre Fauvre and perhaps sampling the less wellknown L’Ambre de Carthage by Isabey.

Though it seems to receive little love on BN, I also like the aoudy cousin of Ambre Precieux, Ambre Dore.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

I couldn't choose between Ambre 114 and Ambre Precieux. These 2 are my favorite.

Default Re: Try this

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    Hi, I asked the same question about a week ago. Here's the link :

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/322...43#post2832243

You really should try:
    Profumi del forte ambre mediterranea
    Atelier ambre nui
    Mona di oreo ambra

I have ordered a full bottle of the profumi.
    Can I ask where from, Fragmeister?

I am a little suprised no one mentioned L'Air du Desert Marocain yet. I forgot to mention it also.

I voted for Ambre Précieux which I really like (but I was, like dougczar, quite surprised that it took this long for L'Air du désert Marocain to get mentioned...)

I like Ambre 114 from the list

Amber Millisime by Creed (Worn by the Duke of Assgard) lol ..no just joking - Amber Sultan by Serge, ofcourse.

I voted for Ambre Precieux, but anything on your list would be a great amber for men.

My holy trinity is Blue Amber (my 'standard' amber), Ambre Aurea (my 'unconventional' amber, with the emphasis on labdanum and frankincense) and Ambra Mediterranea (my 'special occasion' amber, with a dark and sultry woody edge).

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    I voted for Ambre Précieux which I really like (but I was, like dougczar, quite surprised that it took this long for L'Air du désert Marocain to get mentioned...)
    L'ADDM would be my pick as well, though I'm dying to smell Blue Amber.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    I was, like dougczar, quite surprised that it took this long for L'Air du désert Marocain to get mentioned...)
    Personally, I see as more than just an amber scent but the amber aspect is there in spades.

There are some great ambers mentioned here, but my favorite has only been mentioned a few times:

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

It's created by Christophe Laudamiel, one of my favorite perfumers, who is quite avant garde. Surprisingly though, Amber Absolute isn't as avant garde as one might expect. Instead, it stays true to the ambers of the past. The beauty, however, is that it doesn't smell stuffy or too powdery. It's a modern take on amber, with an amazing campfire note added to round out all the sweetness. My favorite for sure, and I've tried almost all of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    There are some great ambers mentioned here, but my favorite has only been mentioned a few times:

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

It's created by Christophe Laudamiel, one of my favorite perfumers, who is quite avant garde. Surprisingly though, Amber Absolute isn't as avant garde as one might expect. Instead, it stays true to the ambers of the past. The beauty, however, is that it doesn't smell stuffy or too powdery. It's a modern take on amber, with an amazing campfire note added to round out all the sweetness. My favorite for sure, and I've tried almost all of the others.
    This.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    My holy trinity is Blue Amber (my 'standard' amber), Ambre Aurea (my 'unconventional' amber, with the emphasis on labdanum and frankincense) and Ambra Mediterranea (my 'special occasion' amber, with a dark and sultry woody edge).
    Haven't tried Blue Amber, but the other two are part of my go to Ambers along with Ambre 114, Ambre Precieux and Kilian Amber Oud.

For something to just wear around the house on one of those damp Florida days, Ortigia Sicilia Ambra Nera is also nice, but not incredibly long lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    From your list, with the exception of Ambre Fetiche, I like all the others. I'll also add Ambra Mediterranea by I Profumi Del Forte as one of the thickest and deepest ambers ever (but you have to be fine with "powerful" fragrances to properly appreciate it).
    Hi alfarom !!
    Has this perfume been discontinued ?....I've just looked on their website and I couln't see it listed. Thanks.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

It's a shame Ambra Mediterranea isn't in the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Hi alfarom !!
    Has this perfume been discontinued ?....I've just looked on their website and I couln't see it listed. Thanks.
    No...as far as I know...

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    ausliebezumduft.de still shows in-stock.

Ambra Mediterranea
    Thanks very much PalmBeach for posting the link !
    I looked again on I Profumi's website and it's definitely not listed. Also, I noticed on the link you sent ~ the http address uses the word "vintage" ambra mediterranea ?.....perhaps it has been discontinued ?
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Voted ambra 114 but i prefer Montale Blue Amber.
    Amber Absolute is another nice choice.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi alfarom !!
    Thanks very much PalmBeach for posting the link !
    I looked again on I Profumi's website and it's definitely not listed. Also, I noticed on the link you sent ~ the http address uses the word "vintage" ambra mediterranea ?.....perhaps it has been discontinued ?
    The website seems to be have not been updated since 2010. All the new fragrances from 2011 onwards are not listed.

Ambra Mediterranea appears to be one of the two Versilia Vintage fragrances, the other being Versilia Vintage Boisee. So, the 'vintage' does not refer to discontinuation, it is part of the fragrance's name.

^^^^ what he says....

To my understanding the brand is changing distribution so, maybe, that's why things sound/look a bit confusing.

Ambre Precieux in that list; otherwise:
    YSL M7 with its load of top-quality ambroxan

From your list, Sultan.

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    The website seems to be have not been updated since 2010. All the new fragrances from 2011 onwards are not listed.

Ambra Mediterranea appears to be one of the two Versilia Vintage fragrances, the other being Versilia Vintage Boisee. So, the 'vintage' does not refer to discontinuation, it is part of the fragrance's name.
    It's definitely still for sale as I bought a bottle last week. PM me if you want a decant/swap.

I voted for 114, but would have strongly considered Ambre Narguile. Everybody loves cinnamon.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver