Code of Conduct

Smile Clinique's Aromatics Elixir

Can men wear Clinique's Aromatics Elixir?
    Want more reviews? Check out my fragrance blog, In The Nose
    Http://Dkchocoman.wordpress.com

Default Re: Clinique's Aromatics Elixir

Only Tv's can!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpharroh View Post
    Can men wear Clinique's Aromatics Elixir?

I wear Aromatics Elixir, and last time I looked I was a man.

It is supposed to be the same formulation as Aramis 900 (safely masculine heterosexual, and tough), but at a higher concentration. It is a wonderful floral leather, with great projection and longevity.

And by the way a man (or a woman) can wear anything they damn well please; fragrance has no gender.

I do want to test this stuff the next time I'm at the Clinique counter.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

When there is plenty on the womens counter that is more butch than recent releases on the mens counter (and AE is a good example), I say why not?

Buy AE in the frosted glass bottle (labelled either Parfum Spray or EDP depending where in the world you buy it), and don't spray it directly on you, before you put your shirt on spray it into the air and walk into the mist.
    Last edited by andym72; 10th February 2013 at 11:23 AM.

Basenotes Member

If you like dry chypres with a strong sillage and endless longevity, like I do, then you can wear it. Gender isn't really the issue here - whether it burns your nostrils, or not, is the determining factor.

I first smelled it on my best friend's mother's dressing table in the 80s. I couldn't understand how a woman who smelled so nice could wear such an 'awful' perfume. It took me another twenty years to get it and now I love it. The opening can be somewhat confrontational, but the drydown is wonderful.

Sure, you can wear what ever you feel comfortable with (especially on basenotes).

Too feminine IMO.

A very niche deep resinous patch chypre, could pass as a masculine without problems. Indeed, it does, as David pointed out. Aramis 900 is extremely close - actually a touch more floral.

It was my mom's signature scent, so I'm probably more used to its intensity. But it's powerful stuff, so a little goes a long way.

cacio

Buy it while you can, quality chypres of this calibre are very thin on the ground these days. I am frankly baffled as to how Lauder can keep something as good as this on the shelves with the rampant industry-wide infantilisation of anything going out to the broader marketplace and the IFRA restrictions. It absolutely flies in the face of current market trends - it's a classic composition for grown-ups that still contains quality ingredients, including what seems to me to be a healthy slug of oakmoss. EDT and Extrait are both worth owning IMO.

You can wear anything you want if you like it, but I won't wear it, as it smells way too feminine to me.
    It's interesting to compare the many notes it has in common with the unambiguously masculine Aramis 900.
    Regards,
    Renato

Yes. its not too pansy, IMO
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

Don't worry about the gender issue. Iranian men and arabic men are the most masculine alpha males on this planet and they wear rose oil perfumes. It does not conflict with their masculinity.
    With this one it's all down to dosage. ONE split second spray, on the forearm or wrist. Not on the neck, throat or chest.
    Used in tiny amounts this is incredible stuff and will get you no end of compliments.
    Other powerbombs to try are Eau de Soir and Private Collection. These must also be applied with great caution.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You can wear anything you want if you like it, but I won't wear it, as it smells way too feminine to me.
    It's interesting to compare the many notes it has in common with the unambiguously masculine Aramis 900.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Agree with Aramis 900 picking up all the good points of Aromatic Elixir why need to wear AE....

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Agree with Aramis 900 picking up all the good points of Aromatic Elixir why need to wear AE....
    I personally prefer A E, but I do enjoy both.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Don't worry about the gender issue. Iranian men and arabic men are the most masculine alpha males on this planet and they wear rose oil perfumes. It does not conflict with their masculinity.
    Hi David,
    I know what you are saying, but there is another factor, and that is local knowledge of alcohol/aggression. In my case, I really like JPG Squared and wore it on quite a few occasions in Italy where I had picked up a cheap bottle. But there is no way I would wear it in any pub in Australia. Probably nothing would happen, but I'd have the strong feeling I'd put a target on my back.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hi David,
    I know what you are saying, but there is another factor, and that is local knowledge of alcohol/aggression. In my case, I really like JPG Squared and wore it on quite a few occasions in Italy where I had picked up a cheap bottle. But there is no way I would wear it in any pub in Australia. Probably nothing would happen, but I'd have the strong feeling I'd put a target on my back.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I would have thought that any fragrance, any deodorant or indeed, any sign of the use of soap would cause the same reaction in any pub in Australia (apart from at Mardi Gras, of course).

First of all, chypres in general are more unisex than other fragrance categories. It shouldn't be much of a problem in that sense.

On the other hand, two factors that work against AE are it being outside recent fragrance trends and it having been so widely popular in the 70' that people who smell it on you might realize you're wearing their mother's signature fragrance.

If you are not self conscious and wear fragrances mainly for your own enjoyment, I think you should go ahead and get a bottle. I prefer it to 900, and I own a small travel size for occasional wear or simply for reference.
    Last edited by Balthazar; 13th February 2013 at 09:58 AM.