Code of Conduct

Default Dior Fahrenheit poor sillage and longevity.

I just got a bottle of it and I love the scent, but on a website I saw the user reviews seemed to say it was long lasting and had very large sillage. Mine isn't like that at all. I get two or three whiffs of it in maybe a three hour period then don't smell it again, it's very faint even for myself, let alone others standing a couple of feet away. I usually just use two sprays.

Is this normal or is my bottle an exception? And ideas on how to improve it's strength?

Default Re: Dior Fahrenheit poor sillage and longevity.

I have two bottles from 2010 and they last 10 hours plus with strong sillage. There have been reports though that this has recently been reformulated so you may have one of the new bottles.

I tend to also think that it's an exception too. All the persons wearing this scent I talked to, as well as myself, could only notice a way above average longevity of Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenry View Post
    I just got a bottle of it and I love the scent, but on a website I saw the user reviews seemed to say it was long lasting and had very large sillage. Mine isn't like that at all. I get two or three whiffs of it in maybe a three hour period then don't smell it again, it's very faint even for myself, let alone others standing a couple of feet away. I usually just use two sprays.

Is this normal or is my bottle an exception? And ideas on how to improve it's strength?
    Could it be possible that your bottle might be a fake? Can i ask where did you buy it? My colleague wears Fahrenheit and it lasts on him at least from morning 8 to at least 12-13 , 4-5 hours together so that i get whiffs of it to 3-4 meters distance.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Every bottle I had was a beast on projection and longevity (8 hrs +). I even have Fahrenheit Aqua which is a beast as well in projection and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have two bottles from 2010 and they last 10 hours plus with strong sillage. There have been reports though that this has recently been reformulated so you may have one of the new bottles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I tend to also think that it's an exception too. All the persons wearing this scent I talked to, as well as myself, could only notice a way above average longevity of Fahrenheit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Every bottle I had was a beast on projection and longevity (8 hrs +). I even have Fahrenheit Aqua which is a beast as well in projection and longevity.
    Well that all seems to agree with the other reviews I've seen. Maybe I have a bad bottle or something. I may try testing it properly, as most of this is just coming from myself wearing it. Thanks for the help though.

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    Could it be possible that your bottle might be a fake? Can i ask where did you buy it? My colleague wears Fahrenheit and it lasts on him at least from morning 8 to at least 12-13 , 4-5 hours together so that i get whiffs of it to 3-4 meters distance.
    I don't think it would be. I bought it on eBay from a man a few hours away from me that was just selling a few things from his home; a couple of fragrances, a couple of knick-knacks. This bottle had been sprayed once, it came with the box that had a little tear in it. It seemed genuinely like something he just didn't like and let sit on the shelf for a couple of months.

I get very good longevity from it.

Have a sample of the 2012 version and its longevity is fine. Still smells very good, too.

I have a bottle from 2012 and I can confirm this juice has been toned down a few notches.

These reformulations, or possible reformulations, just make things very confusing. You don't know from year-to-year if what you're buying is the same juice. Don't know about Fahrenheit, but I'm furious about what's been done to Polo green. I gave this stuff one last try today, and longevity/projection is close to zero. My wife confirmed it. Nothing like the old stuff.
    Maybe they've cobbled up Fahrenheit too, those some here seem to think it's still OK.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I personally can't stand the 2012 Fahrenheit. It resembles very little from its former glory.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

This is one fragrance (assuming that you have a genuine bottle) that I just cannot see how I doesn't project and last, even on the most challenging skin.

Spray more on.

I own a reformulation and it lasts for quite a while on me.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Spray more on.
    I agres with this gentleman. Two sprays does seem rather meagre. I am of the six sprays type of person with most of my scents. If you want people to smell it, don't be timid.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

It's been reformulated, I can also agree with the...well it's not poor, but it's not great longevity and projection.
    Same goes for 1 Million as far as I am concerned. And A*Men is definitely not a beast as well.

I too get poor projection and longevity using 6 sprays from each a 2009 and 2012 bottle. I'm almost thinking that those reporting monster longevity are wearing this in spring summer and was hoping to hear from you guyss. Ill hold on to my botle till the summer and give it another try. To put my 2 scents into a recent reformulation I have a bottle from both 2009 and 2012 and they are exact same to me.

Never had a problem with Fahrenheit not projection or lasting. I own a bottle from 2009, 2011, and Fahrenheit Aqua and they all last a loooooong time. Unless they reformulated in 2012 (which I doubt) you should get a consistent 6 to 8 hours with almost any version of Fahrenheit.

Apply more, I think 2 sprays are not enough for the new formulation.

I have the 2012 version and I use three sprays under my shirt and get easily 10 hours. I can smell it readily on my shirt the next day as well.

It lasts a long time on my skin. I have to wash it off.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Uhm... wow. Poor longevity? Poor sillage? From FAHRENHEIT?

I finally picked up Fahrenheit a few months ago. Sillage and longevity are both excellent. I love the stuff.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I have the 2012 version. I'm now up to 8 sprays. Yeah - 8. Gone within 2-3 hours. I am forced to reapply. Good thing I bought the 200ml bottle cuz at this rate it'll be gone in a month. Very very very disappointed. Biggest disappointment in my meagre collection. Love the notes though for the brief window I can enjoy them. Relatively speaking, to put things in context, I get 8 to 10 hours out of 2 sprays of either Le Male or 1 Million. ADG Essenza is not all that far behind.

It doesn't really project or last too long on me either. Perhaps it's just one of those things.

I've a 2008 bottle and get excellent sillage and longevity from it

OP, I totally get what you are talking about and share your frustration.

So I got a "semi-vintage" bottle from 1999 (old box but it had been reformulated), and it is not fake. I also have a 2010 version that I got from duty free.

Here is the thing, for both versions: on me, I can smell it for maybe 30 minutes or so and then it turns into a skin scent. What is strange is that I normally don't get olfactory fatigue, but I must be anosmic to something in Fahrenheit, because everyone else around me can smell it. One day, long after I thought the scent was gone, 6 hours later, I went to a friend's house and she asked me what I was wearing.

It is so frustrating because I love this scent but it seems like I can't enjoy its full glory from start to finish--you might have a similar sort of problem (that is, olfactory fatigue or anosmic to some of the muscs of the mid / base notes).

Go somewhere and ask a friend if they can still smell it on you after some time has passed (people that you haven't spent time with already...).

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I've a 2008 bottle and get excellent sillage and longevity from it
    mine is not projecting at all.. i have to be really close to get a whiff.. sometimes i get the smell when i suddenly turn around or sit and stand etc.. it lasts around 5 hrs on my wrist where i can feel notes changing from top notes to middle notes etc but most of the time i have to take my wrist very close to the nose to get the smell after 3 hours and its completely gone the next day.. no need to wash it off hehe btw im using 2 sprays on wrist and neck only.. my sis was able to notice it within first hour of application after that im on my own.. lol

bottle: 2008/June (8T03)

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    OP, I totally get what you are talking about and share your frustration.

So I got a "semi-vintage" bottle from 1999 (old box but it had been reformulated), and it is not fake. I also have a 2010 version that I got from duty free.

Here is the thing, for both versions: on me, I can smell it for maybe 30 minutes or so and then it turns into a skin scent. What is strange is that I normally don't get olfactory fatigue, but I must be anosmic to something in Fahrenheit, because everyone else around me can smell it. One day, long after I thought the scent was gone, 6 hours later, I went to a friend's house and she asked me what I was wearing.

It is so frustrating because I love this scent but it seems like I can't enjoy its full glory from start to finish--you might have a similar sort of problem (that is, olfactory fatigue or anosmic to some of the muscs of the mid / base notes).

Go somewhere and ask a friend if they can still smell it on you after some time has passed (people that you haven't spent time with already...).
    That's my first thought as well. I find that with Aventus, I can't smell it after a few hours, but when I get home from the office, my wife still can tell I'm wearing it. Ask someone else if it is lasting on you.

I just got a bottle yesterday (produced in September 2013) and I have to say, I am very disappointed. I applied 2 sprays on neck and one on chest, first hour it was projecting quite well, after 2 hours it settled down and after 3 it was completely gone. I think I'm gonna return it, too bad because I really like the smell.

I have got a small 2010 bottle which has excellent sillage and longevity and I got a 2013 bottle which is much weaker.

I bet it's the curse of the IFRA regulations as a lot of fragrances now are weak and a shadow of themselves. Best to avoid bottles made recently and go for the old stuff if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I bet it's the curse of the IFRA regulations as a lot of fragrances now are weak and a shadow of themselves. Best to avoid bottles made recently and go for the old stuff if at all possible.
    I don't think it is all due to IFRA regulations. I am afraid that they are watering down fragrences to cut costs and make more profit. And as long as people like me buying a bottle of Fahrenheit, keep buying it they will continue to keep watering it down. They simply have no respect for the consumer.

LVMH and Dior should just care for Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit.
    They are not made for profits, but for real men who care for its tradition, history and value.

Up to now, there has never been a big difference between the vintage version and the newest version.

People that claim the reformulated version has nothing to do with the vintage version have no idea (Sorry to say this, but they are just ignorants to me).

The IFRA is not alone in this reformulation, but also the strategy of Dior and LVMH.
    Mostly, the reformulation is dependent on consumers.
    If consumers dont want heavy fragrances, the company is willing to reformulate, otherwise those fragrances are not sold well---> discontinued in the worst scenario.

Dior has a great inhouse perfumer. Lets hope that he will do a good work for ES and Fahrenheit.

That's exactly what I think whenever I read those "vintage or nothing!!!" reviews. I don't care that the new stuff doesn't fill a hangar with cloud of smell, but I do want a 2 feet projection that lasts at least 6 hours. The smell is absolutely amazing and it could easily become my signature smell, but 3 hour longevity is just horrible. Oh well, I've got to scout my local perfume shops and hope I can find one of the older bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Uhm... wow. Poor longevity? Poor sillage? From FAHRENHEIT?

I finally picked up Fahrenheit a few months ago. Sillage and longevity are both excellent. I love the stuff.
    +1 Recent purchase in 2012...cannot complain about the Sillage and longevity
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    I don't think it is all due to IFRA regulations. I am afraid that they are watering down fragrences to cut costs and make more profit. And as long as people like me buying a bottle of Fahrenheit, keep buying it they will continue to keep watering it down. They simply have no respect for the consumer.
    Agree on the first part : not all due to IFRA.

On the watering down part to cut on cost and make more profit, I wonder if that really makes sense : there was a very interesting post (you can still find it I'm sure) showing that the juice by itself represents the smaller part of the price of a fragrance bottle (if memory serves, it was something like 3-5%).
    Keeping that in mind, it seems rather risky and counter productive to water down the fragrance just to save on cost...

Unlike a New Release, Fahrenheit has already Recognition...doesn't need as much advertising...so it should be already one of the most profitable fragrances for Dior.

Now, if there was a particular ingredient becoming too costly...that's something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
    LVMH and Dior should just care for Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit.
    They are not made for profits, but for real men who care for its tradition, history and value.

Up to now, there has never been a big difference between the vintage version and the newest version.

People that claim the reformulated version has nothing to do with the vintage version have no idea (Sorry to say this, but they are just ignorants to me).

The IFRA is not alone in this reformulation, but also the strategy of Dior and LVMH.
    Mostly, the reformulation is dependent on consumers.
    If consumers dont want heavy fragrances, the company is willing to reformulate, otherwise those fragrances are not sold well---> discontinued in the worst scenario.

Dior has a great inhouse perfumer. Lets hope that he will do a good work for ES and Fahrenheit.
    IMHO that seems more logical ... Perhaps today's taste is calling for less heavy fragrances...Safer ones...Easier to wear & more versatile...Hence the current lighter Fahrenheit.

i went to a store and sprayed it on my jacket i believe it lasted for like 3 days

Spray more sprays

I own a 200 ml version of the 2010-2011 formulation, and I get easily 8-10 solid hours from it.

I think it must be a case of olfactory fatique or eBay fakes to be honest.

This is why you should never:

1. Buy perfume on Ebay - because you never know......
    2. Use a signature scent - because YOU WILL get olfactory fatique from it
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    I have got a small 2010 bottle which has excellent sillage and longevity and I got a 2013 bottle which is much weaker.
    Vintage 1998 vs 2012 are pretty close for me. Vintage has a little more oomph, but honestly an extra spray or two of the new one pretty much makes it up.

Vintage by a hair, but I'll probably buy only new bottles going forward.

They're both totally rewarding.

Maybe it's fatigue, maybe poor chemistry? Have you tried it on clothing as well as skin?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I purchased this fragrance from the local PX a year or two ago and sold mine for the very same reason. It smelled a lot more of a green smell and less gasoline than I remember it having. Certainly not a projection monster. My experience was that of the OP. 3-4 hours max.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather