Code of Conduct

Default New house Juniper Ridge with three Backpacker’s Cologne

California-based Juniper Ridge is a new brand for me, with three interesting unisex fragrances on the marked, possibly launched last year.

From their Mission Statement:
    "We bring the mountains into your home and make real fragrances that evoke the places we love - the High Sierra, Cascades, Big Sur and so on as long as we are around and there is new country to explore. Real fragrance, the kind that comes from wild harvested plants and trees, rearranges your insides and takes you away to the quietness of wilderness - clearing a trail in the mountains above Big Sur, a campfire in the Mojave desert, hiking in the Cascades in the late Fall with the smell of winter right around the corner."

Wild Plum Campground Backpacker’s Cologne. Notes: Northern Sierra Nevada natural fragrance
    Caruthers Canyon Backpacker’s Cologne. Notes: Desert Cedar natural fragrance
    Siskiyou Backpacker’s Cologne. Notes: Northwest conifer natural fragrance

A review from Indieperfumes.blogspot.no
    "The Wild Plum Campground Backpacker’s Cologne smells like you have been soaking yourself in a bath of strong tea infused with the sap of evergreens dissolved in cedar water, bark, mulch and earth. Wild Plum Campground was created in the Yuba River region. It has a strong undertow of raw wildness and darkness. There’s also a lively sense of evergreen and a clear hit of terpenes but also a mysterious and powerful hit of thick tree pitch and sap that holds a hint of natural sugar."

Default Re: New house Juniper Ridge with three Backpacker’s Cologne

The bottles are ugly IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The bottles are ugly IMO.
    Ha! No accounting for taste
    I really like the bottle, it's modern with a rustic touch. Just wish it came with a sprayer.

Yeah, a sprayer would be nice. Looks more like a bottle of medicine. Anyone smell this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Looks more like a bottle of medicine.
    They should have called them 'chesty cough', 'dry cough' and 'antacid'.

I think they are excellent. The concept is to recreate a sense of place from where the materials were harvested, and they do an excellent job of this. If you don't go into it with the expectation of a designer-style fragrance, I think there is a lot to like. I think of them more like traditional splash-on eau de colognes--something you might put on at night to feel reinvigorated before bed. They are surprisingly complex given the simplicity of the concept. I bought the Carruthers Canyon and am planning to pick up the Siskiyou as well. The former opens with a very bright juniper berry type note and resolves into a bright (almost citrusy) wood.

The Big Sur Trail Crew Soap is also like shower crack.

I find it especially refreshing in an environment where fragrance companies hit you so hard with their over-the-top concepts (relative esp. to what's in the bottle) and ridiculous fabricated histories--and then these guys come along and say, we chopped some shit down and stepped on it and stuffed it in a still, and here it is! There is a great DIY ethos behind it that is followed through with a superb execution. I am a fan.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 12th February 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Hello, my name is starshipvelcro and I'm a Juniper Ridge addict.

So far their Trail Crew soaps have been the stand out to me...I own 4 of them. DO NOT REMIND ME HOW MUCH I SPENT ON SOAP...but just try one and you'll see.

I also own Wild Plum Campground and Caruthers Canyon, these are also impressive. Don't go into them thinking you're getting a masterfully composed fragrance. These let nature speak for itself, just visit their website where they are not shy about their process. They both go on a bit sharp, but really capture the idea of being in the forest/wilderness.

I think these appeal to me so much because of how I was raised...scouting, camping trips, family vacations...they bring back memories.

Did I mention the soap is fantastic?

The soap is fantastic.

couldn't resist

I haven't tried them but have heard great things about them. The bottles don't bother me at all. I agree they do have a nice modern yet rustic charm - look like old liquor bottles actually.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I have worn Plum Campground and I really enjoy it. Its rustic and quite beautiful in its "greeness". Slumberhouse may have a bit of competition here.
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

I'd like to know the details about why the soap is fantastic. And about why the perfume is fantastic, especially the Plum Campground.

The soap is fantastic because it's intense, outdoorsy, and invigorating. I want to keep smelling like it even after it's washed off.

I totally love this concept! Wish I could experience them, but then again just like with Slumberhouse, they are exclusive to the US...
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    I totally love this concept! Wish I could experience them, but then again just like with Slumberhouse, they are exclusive to the US...
    Not necessarily - I just got my samples from Surrender to Chance (who also carry Slumberhouse... in fact, they have more Slumberhouse scents than the actual Slumberhouse website does, now that Josh has pruned his line). StC have raised their international shipping rates quite a bit though, so smaller orders are no longer cost-effective.

Wearing Plum Campground now. Initial whiff a bit sharp and raw... let's see how it dries down.

Last edited by rowan-; 1st March 2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: dupe post

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    Not necessarily - I just got my samples from Surrender to Chance (who also carry Slumberhouse... in fact, they have more Slumberhouse scents than the actual Slumberhouse website does, now that Josh has pruned his line). StC have raised their international shipping rates quite a bit though, so smaller orders are no longer cost-effective.
    Right now you can buy the soaps and the Siskiou Backpacker's cologne on Toast.co.uk, see http://www.toast.co.uk/category/loti...ns+Potions.htm
    I bought the cologne. It's a tiny bottle, but very nice: would fit in your pocket. The perfume in very good, coniferous and natural.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well I'm a sucker for a good-smelling soap so I ordered the Siskiyou cedar one. It's very good indeed, green and woody, very sniffable, and it generates a good lather easily. I'll be getting more from this line.

- - - Updated - - -

After smelling the soap I got the Siskiyou cologne. These aren't in the directory yet (although they are over on Fragrantica), so I'm putting my review here for now. Based on 2 full wearings:

The short ingredients list reads 'ORGANIC SUGAR CANE ALCOHOL; 100% NATURAL FRAGRANCE: TREE PITCH, PLANT SAP/JUICE, STEAM-DISTILLED ESSENTIAL OILS.'
    It does smell very natural, just like the sap from a freshly-cut conifer. You get an intense bright green smell at first, soon morphing into a solid deep woody bass. Its single-minded woodiness reminds me of Luten's Chene, but this is simpler and drier; perhaps the most realistic woody scent you will find: you might easily fool others that you've been chopping logs. In fact it reminds me of how I smell after trimming a conifer hedge, which is the closest I get to forestry operations. Sillage is very strong for the first hour or so, then it calms down. Given this volatility and the 'all natural' tag, I expected longevity to be on the low side, but it's no slouch, still going strong after 10 hours (based on approx 0.5ml). Anyone who has ever got pine resin on skin or clothes knows how tenacious it is. Unlike that, however, this juice does not irritate my skin.
    A note about the bottle: it is small, unboxed and has no atomiser. It is, however, easily pourable from the bottle, either into the diminutive cap for 'splashing', or into a pocket atomiser. Caution: some might find it too literal an interpretation of pine - and do not expect Guerlain levels of complexity. A must-try for lovers of pine scents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adepta View Post
    Right now you can buy the soaps and the Siskiou Backpacker's cologne on Toast.co.uk, see http://www.toast.co.uk/category/loti...ns+Potions.htm
    I bought the cologne. It's a tiny bottle, but very nice: would fit in your pocket. The perfume in very good, coniferous and natural.
    Thanks for that. Also available from Carter & Bond, although cheaper on Toast.co.uk.

Ordered 3 samples from Surrender to Chance. I look forward to their outdoorsy take on personal scents!

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I find the bottle to be an unimaginative take on the whole "apothecary jar" and/or "homemade recycled" tropes. Better examples can be found on etsy.
    The cheap--and very modern--looking cap spoils the "old bottle" feel, and the typography is ... yawn. An imaginative graphic designer could create something fresh, and still preserve the rustic, home brewed feel.

- - - Updated - - -

PPS: Just looked at their website. Love the charming logo, as well as the labels on the Cabin Spray.
    http://juniperridge.com/
    Last edited by onaluna; 17th April 2013 at 01:39 AM.

I have sampled Caruther's Canyon and Siskiyou and like the latter quite a bit. Caruther's Canyon, while it does smell great, has the poorest longevity I have ever experienced with a fragrance. I also have the Big Sur Trail Soap and man does it smell different. I don't really know if that is good or bad yet, just different. The jury is still out.

Go big, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Beranium Chotato View Post
    Go big, I say.

Looks like you are a big fan of Big Sur. I've got a bar of the soap to look forward to