Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default What's the darkest scent that you know? And with dark I mean SUPER-DARK!!!

Since I am interested in perfumery I am on the search for the darkest, most evil and coldest perfume! I tried a lot of stuff that is considered dark like Encre Noire, Black Tourmaline, Norne, Fumidus, Messe de Minuit etc. etc., but all the perfumes were not even close to what I am looking for! Maybe such perfume doesn't even exist? The basenotes of real Oud come close to what I am looking for. Maybe some of you guys know a super-unknown insiders' tip that smells like a bone-filled dungeon in a medieval castle in the darkest night in the coldest winter!

Default Re: What's the darkest scent that you know? And with dark I mean SUPER-DARK!!!

Encre Noir by Lalique (women version) - it's dark...Poe's raven dark...

Default Re: What's the darkest scent that you know? And with dark I mean SUPER-DARK!!!

Perhaps Predator by Melfleurs

If i have understood the word dark correctly, then i'll throw in : Nasomatto Black Afgano (Parfum Extrait)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

The perfume should not have even the tiniest hint of sweetness, it should be extremely dry and maybe smoky.

Jacomo de Jacomo
    Salvatore Dali PH

Encre Noire IMO. Probably the darkest I have.

probable Encre Noir or Halston Man Amber

Maybe Le Labo Patchouli 24

Narciso Rodriguez For Him Eau De Parfum Intense.

Seconding Salvador Dali

Also, G Man by Gainsboro- one of the darkest, almost choking, tarry-leathery scents I was ever given the opportunity to try.

Vero Profumo - Onda
    The extrait version.

Boadicia Complex

Another vote for Salvatore Dali PH.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

One that immediately springs to mind is Villoresi Patchouli, It has been described by a previous reviewer as 'cave' and I think that is appropriate. Another which I have in my collection and fully endorse is Or Black by Pascal Morabito.

Dark aoud by Montale

Want some really dark and black? Try "Dirty English" by Juicy Couture.

Jacomo de Jacomo or Versace Man.

Your description is rather Gothic, and for me one company springs to mind - Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.

Omen and Nyarlahotep spring to mind, but the site is stuffed full of scents that would be right up your street.

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    The perfume should not have even the tiniest hint of sweetness, it should be extremely dry and maybe smoky.
    Montale Dark Aoud and Black Aoud with added concentration have little sweetness and are bone dry and make me feel like in smothering in feul. Way too dark and heavy.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by LucasKane View Post
    Dark aoud by Montale
    +1. Dark Aoud. Beautifully dark.

+1 Encre Noire.

And Memoir Man by Amouage is quite dark. All great fragrances.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

4th vote for Salvador Dali pour homme
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I find it strange how so few posters take the time to read the OP:

...I tried a lot of stuff that is considered dark like Encre Noire, Black Tourmaline, Norne, Fumidus, Messe de Minuit etc. etc...

Rose de Nuit or Serge Noire by Serge Lutens

Fahrenheit Absolut

M7 vintage
    Joseph Statkus

Tom Ford Black Orchid. Rich and without light florals or citrus.

Elegant. Like a tuxedo.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

+5 Salvador Dali

- - - Updated - - -

Salvador Dali

Most things from Slumberhouse, surprised you were not impressed by Norne. Never smelled anything as dark.

In the eerie/sinister department, you might want to check out
    Byredo M/Mink
    CB Black March
    L'Artisan Mchant Loup

You might also be looking for something very heavy and uncompromising like
    Villoresi Vetiver
    Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne

Basenotes Plus

Bone filled dungeon? Hmmm. Sounds like you're trying to obtain one of those unobtainables so why don't you try this:
    Pour your Norne into your Fumidus, mix in a little Vetiver Extraordinaire for the smell of a wet crypt, and a little Bruno Acampora Jasmin for it's suffocating gloominess, and maybe a dash of Secretions Magnifiques just for general awfulness and to scare everyone who comes near you.

fahrenheit absolute
    encre noir

and maybe not the darkest one but gucci by gucci is also dark in a softer manner.
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

Pascal Morabito's Or Black

Try Naomi Goodsir Bois d'ascese... it is smoky and the drydown is incense, it is dry as anything but still very beautiful.

here are some of the darkest I know...

Or Black
    Preludio D'Oriente
    Eucris
    Sombre Negra
    (first formulation)
    Dark Aoud
    Fourreau Noir
    Aomassai
    Mazzolari Lui
    Eau De Parfum De George Sand
    Salvador Dali Pour Homme
    Bois D'Encens
    Black Tourmaline
    Memoir Man
    Laltrove 1001
    Mon Parfum Cheri, Par Camille
    Exhale
    Wode by Boudicca
    Kinski
    Comme Des Garcons Luxe Patchouli
    By Kilian Pure Oud
    Oud 27
    O'Dri Vis Et Honor

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dior's Eau Noire is pure evil. Try it to believe it!

Last edited by voodoodanny; 10th February 2013 at 09:27 PM.

Encre Noire, Montale Black Oud, Tom Ford Black Orchid, CdG Avignon, and Slumberhouse Norne are about the darkest I can think of at the moment.

The basenotes of real Oud come close to what I am looking for.
    Which sort of Oudh was it that came close?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    CdG Avignon, and Slumberhouse Norne
    add these two to my previous list...

Banned

1740 dark??? Alfarom, this is sweet as a fruity girly thing !!wehn i first tried it i thought is some amber honey for girls kind of scent....the drydown is beautiful everlasting flower....colour yellow!

Encre Noire super dark??) hehe how can light vetyver be dark i cant believe this, as if Sycomore is dark ,come on guys

ok Onda is the darkest driest and bitterest vetyver i know, but in the drydown it goes to creamy brown colour ..and Encre noire is sweet puppy compared to that...

i agree with someone who mentioned Slumberhouse...oh man thats dark!!and reminded me of Profumo.it scents like hard core thats heavy, and sillage monsters... Jeke ,and Grev even more...

Pure oud by Killian doesnt count as dark at all in my book, thats just clean, dry, office scent! .... it feels on the contrary airy, its only dry....

what i consider dark is smoky! very smoky, leathery, heavy...resinous, bitter..and masculine...i think Or black might be that, although i never tried it , just read about it.....

the darkest scent i like is Montale cuir d Arabie... but thats not the darkest of all

Montales Black Aoud is female scent its not dark at all it purple rose Rosam by Histories is darker in a way....less sweet...but still type of Killians Pure Oud...just dry..and airy...light

btw this is great thread..becasue what i think of super dark is the opposite of super feminine kind of scent, so i could wear it only few times in a year if at all... ...and when i was considering buying vintage Or black i feard its too dark .....thats why i think it may be super dark type of scent
    Cuir d Arabie is the darkest i like to wear...and Onda is the darkest i could wear because it is dark brown colour..and becomes lighter in the drydown....and SLumberhouse i could never ever wear...its too heavy....

noone mentioned Tribute?? i did not try it but heard this is dark?
    Last edited by iivanita; 10th February 2013 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    1740 dark??? Alfarom, this is sweet as a fruity girly thing !!wehn i first tried it i thought is some amber honey for girls kind of scent....the drydown is beautiful everlasting flower....colour yellow!
    My perception of 1740 is pretty different. Starting from the name "Marquis De Sade" which reminds me of many things except something girly and light-hearted. Girly? No way unless the girls you know like to smoke a pipe The immortelle note here leans brutally towards the burnt sugary aspect and together with leather give the fragrance a perverse, kinda morbose, dark brown aurea...

Onda and Aoud Cuir D'Arabie are good calls...

Dark Aoud Montale, Black Afgano Nasomatto, Salvador Dali Pour Homme, Black Tourmaline Durbano, Norma Kamali Incense, Pure Oud Kilian, Mazzolari Lui, Patchouli Noir Il Profvmo, Patchouly Etro, Scent Intense Costume National, Ambra Nera Farmacia SS Annunziata, V&A Pour Homme, Macassar Rochas, Black Aoud Montale, Black Musk Montale, Ungaro III, Absolou Pour Le Soir, Noir de Noir Tom Ford, Pontaccio 21 Ferre, Nasomatto Duro, Trussardi Uomo Vintage, Messe de Minuit Etro, Patchouli Intense Molinard, Amouage Memoir Man, Black Cashmere Donna Karan, Vintage Cinnabar, N 88 Czeck&Speak.
    Last edited by Darvant; 10th February 2013 at 10:11 PM.

Norne
    Encre Noire

Banned
    Blog Entries

i wonder if encre noir was in a white bottle and marketed as "Green Forest", would it still be a super dark fragrance

M7
    Encre Noire
    Salvador Dali PH
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Another vote for Salvador Dali PH, also HdP Petroleum.

Black Aoud by Montale
    Dark Aoud by Montale
    Encre Noire by Lalique
    Black Afgano by Nasomatto
    Narciso Rodriguez for him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    My perception of 1740 is pretty different. Starting from the name "Marquis De Sade" which reminds me of many things except something girly and light-hearted. Girly? No way unless the girls you know like to smoke a pipe The immortelle note here leans brutally towards the burnt sugary aspect and together with leather give the fragrance a perverse, kinda morbose, dark brown aurea...

Onda and Aoud Cuir D'Arabie are good calls...
    heheheh

oh i cant believe what a different perception, i like to think of scents in a coloures...and do it often! and for 1740 i have red yellow colour....it starts ambery, honey...and stays a bit like...hay like bit neutral...even thin...later it turns completely sweet, feminine! all girls i know love it! it can not fall into super dark category by no means .....its like Amouage Interlude without citrus part ....its ambery everlasting flower....the drydown is super girly...i did not know the name of the scent was only surprised its targeted to the men and is very feminine....

and Encre Noire...beeing mentioned here so many times...its unbeleivable to me so far away from what i think of super dark

my idea of super darks scent is something 1 out of 1000 women like ......and not somethign 900 out of 1000 women like its total opposite of super bright floral sweet type of scent

i think people catch up too much on the names of perfumes and not how they really smell....Dark Aoud is also girlish! more then for men..its nice patchouly rose oudy scent....coloure is dark purple
    hoschhti even said he does not consider those scent not even close to beeing dark...the same i think as well....so he really asks for hard core, extreme type of scent...and i doubt those can be worn as widely as encre noire is

Black Afgano ...is ok...to me its dark green with black spots on
    Last edited by iivanita; 10th February 2013 at 10:20 PM.

Dark Aoud is also girlish! more then for men..its nice patchouly rose oudy scent....coloure is [B]dark purple
    I guess you're confusing Dark Aoud with Black Aoud. There're no rose and no patchouli whatsoever in Dark Aoud.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I guess you're confusing Dark Aoud with Black Aoud. There're no rose and no patchouli whatsoever in Dark Aoud.
    Yes u are right apologies:-) the black aoud was beeing mentioned as well, and i have not tried dark aoud yet:-)

Tell me pls Amouage Tribute is it dark as well? Darker then encre noire ? This is how i imagine it at least....thank you!!!

I love this thread! I will be trying Slumberhouse soon, have never heard of it before until now, and cannot wait -- love the bottles!

- - - Updated - - -

For me, a scent can never ever be dark or pungent or murky enough. It's like an eternal challenge: I want something that kicks you in the throat for submission, then embraces you closely with an icy-cold electrocution.

The darkest fragrances that I currently know and love are PETROLEUM and OUD CUIR D'ARABIE -- they are both delicious... I cannot wait to discover more, not "similar" but relevant!

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    And Memoir Man by Amouage is quite dark.
    +1
    I was about to add this one.

- - - Updated - - -

and Encre Noire...beeing mentioned here so many times...its unbeleivable to me so far away from what i think of super dark
    I agree 10000%. It's nowhere near as dark as I was expecting it to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    i wonder if encre noir was in a white bottle and marketed as "Green Forest", would it still be a super dark fragrance
    THIS. The name suggests dark and people get tripped up by it. I was sampling Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme yesterday (which is great stuff but absolutely positively not "extreme") and was reminded of Encre Noir, naturally. I sampled them side by said and realized just how dark Encre Noir ISN'T. That's not a slam against EN though. Not at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. As I read through this thread, I'm perplexed by what others consider dark, and I bet they'd be equally perplexed by what I consider dark.

Avignon? Dark?! I don't get it. That's superb stuff, but it's not dark to me.

Narcisso Rodriguez For Him smells dark to me, though it has sweetness. It smells like being stranded alone in a parking lot in the middle of the night five minutes before it starts to frigging pour down rain. The sweetness is the end of a nice evening that is about to all go to hell. Seriously evocative stuff, and in that which it evokes lies its darkness.

...awesome thread!!!
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 11th February 2013 at 12:38 AM.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Salvador Dali is the darkest of all.
    Ungaro III is pretty dark.
    Derrick by Orlane is pretty dark too.
    Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme is dark.

+1 for Patchouli 24....spending the night at you favorite camping spot after it has been ravaged by a forest fire

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    THIS. The name suggests dark and people get tripped up by it. I was sampling Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme yesterday (which is great stuff but absolutely positively not "extreme") and was reminded of Encre Noir, naturally. I sampled them side by said and realized just how dark Encre Noir ISN'T. That's not a slam against EN though. Not at all.

Wow. As I read through this thread, I'm perplexed by what others consider dark, and I bet they'd be equally perplexed by what I consider dark.
    Well, it depends how some people precieve the fragrance, and how they define it. Many of the fragrances mentioned above don't seem dark to me, but "heavy" it seems like some people consider a thick / heavy fragrance as dark.

encre noire (black ink) does remind me of darkness. If it were a heavier/wetter fragrance, would you think it more dark then? To me it smells like dark charred earth. As if a field had burned down. Burned woods. Dry to the bone - not a floral or citrus or anything at all to soften it up. Sharp and dry - it does in fact seem dark to me. I don't care if the bottle has pink polka dots on it with a yellow bow. Heavy? no. Wet? no. Light, dry to the bone... and dark.

All a matter of preception and how it may evoke certain memories.

Petroleum is based on a particularly mineral oud reconstruction. It feels like entering a dark, damp, chilly cave. Unwearable, but the effect is there (as mentioned by Iivanita, Rosam has a touch of that oud base, but it's very different, a rose). M/Mink tries to pull off a similar effect, but to my nose, it falls head first into a smelly bilge - not quite dark, more like open air fish boat that has not been cleaned for ages.

For dark in the sense of smoke, I second Le Labo Patch and Tauer Lonestar memories. These are chemical fires, black soot. But it's not quite chilly dungeon. Perhaps quinoline leathers are a better bet. Bandit is suitably dark in the base, though the top is a very green galbanum whiplash.

cacio

I would agree with Petroleum. I would also add the other 2 ghastly releases HdP came out with - Rosam and Ambrarem. All quite dark IMO.

Dior fahrenheit absolute
    TF amber absolute

Hands down! It is KOLNISCH JUCHTEN*BY*PARFUMS REGENCE
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Encre Noire