Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I don't find anything dark about encre noir. It's very light, sweet and vetivery to me.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him is a scent I could imagine would be the signature scent of some dark brooding comic book character

Default Re: What's the darkest scent that you know? And with dark I mean SUPER-DARK!!!

Van Cleef & Arpels pH
    Salvador Dali pH
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Default Re: What's the darkest scent that you know? And with dark I mean SUPER-DARK!!!

Another vote for Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme.

And I'll add Czech and Speake 88.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme

My goodness, so many posts!!! Thank you very much! So far Salvador Dali is mentioned very often, I have to try this one!

A lot of people mentioned Encre Noire, but it's not really dark to me. Oud 27, Pure Oud, everything tried and not dark at all.

From all the posts I think iivanita has the best understanding of what I am looking for! Like she does I also think of perfumes as colours. The perfume that I am looking for should be matt black with a rough structure on it that is also black. The drydown of Oud has already some of these qualities.
    Last edited by hoschhti; 11th February 2013 at 09:47 AM.

Basenotes Member

If you can sample this try Perfume O by blood concept, it smells like metallic blood. The closest thing to a vampire signature scent.

Tom Ford's Black Orchid IMHO
    Maybe even C&S No.88

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LucasKane View Post
    Dark aoud by Montale
    I also love Dark Aoud...perhaps Aoud d'Arabie as well? Sometimes I layer the two for a really evil smell...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    The perfume should not have even the tiniest hint of sweetness, it should be extremely dry and maybe smoky.
    Salvador Dali's base is sweet ...

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    I find it strange how so few posters take the time to read the OP:
    + agreed !

- - - Updated - - -

So far Salvador Dali is mentioned very often, I have to try this one!

A lot of people mentioned Encre Noire, but it's not really dark to me
    Prepare yourself for a major letdown if EN aint dark enough ...
    SDPH has Vanilla in its base notes & I tell you this ... " Try before you Buy"
    because they were heavy handed blending the vanilla in its base !!
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 11th February 2013 at 10:50 AM.

Narciso Rodriguez For Him EDT

The reformulation of no 88 has lost its gothic darkness and become a bit tame imo.
    I would add Querelle to the list . Very dark and some what creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Dior's Eau Noire is pure evil. Try it to believe it!

Hm, I own it and love it. But evil? No...

And encre noire pour femme? Wtf? Not dark in the slightest...

Maybe duro by nasomatto?

Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme is dark??? All I can smell from it is soap soap soap! Funny...
    Eau des Iles (Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier) is the only one that comes to my mind. To me it's dark/dry in the introspective, mysterious way, not morbid.

CDG Tea is pretty dark and tar filled. Whenever I want to darken up almost any other fragrance I spritz a bit of Tea over the top of it and it usually really makes it darker.

LeLabo Patchouli is kind of dark too.

by Kilian - Incense Oud

Geo F Trumper Eucris

I was thinking a little bit and if Norne would be mixed with real Oud the result could be what I am looking for, maybe!

Black Amber by Agonist. A pretty new niche house from Sweden.
    This is the darkest scent I've ever put my nose on!

Don't overlook Or Black - especially the vintage juice.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Most things from Slumberhouse, surprised you were not impressed by Norne. Never smelled anything as dark.
    I agree, Norne is one of the darkest scents ever.
    Jacomo de Jacomo is also extremely dark.
    M. Micallef's Sashka Black is even darker.

If for dark you mean gothic, then Ungaro III with its dark, dirty rose gets my vote.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

+1 on Serge Noire, Black Afghano, and Norne.

You might also try Mona di Orio's Cuir. It's not "dark" like the other stuff that's popping up in this thread, but it's got sharp teeth, it's unforgiving, carnal. I love reading negative reviews on my favorite frags, this one is no exception. Other have commented that it smells like cigarette smoke, gunpowder, shoe polish, burnt charcoal, or even "emphysema and abject loneliness!"

Good luck with your search OP. Cool thread btw thanks all for contributing.

V&A PH +
    SD PH +
    M7 (original) YSL +
    Black Afgano and Duro Nasomatto +
    since you want it to be "evil" and not sweet, but smoky: Bvlgari Black.
    Happy hunting!

I consider Zino Davidoff to be dark. Not sure if it is the dark you are talking about though.

- - - Updated - - -

I consider Zino Davidoff to be dark. Not sure if it is the dark you are talking about though.

YSL M7, I don't have the vintage but this is very dark and lasts forever!

Haven't seen MPG - Route du Vetiver yet. Vintage, if you can. Not dry, but earthy as hell.

+ Lui
    + Dali
    + villoresi patchouli

If these don't work, perhaps a good, earthy patchouli and/or vetiver essential oil, or a 'dirt' or 'potting soil' fragrance oil. Hell, you could mix 'em all together and call it your own.

I agree with Demitrios that Salvador Dali does have some sweetness, but it is still darkest fragrance I know of. I wore it all day today, and it doesn't scream sweet to me. It smells like something that Sweeny Todd would put on you after he shaved you.

Bois d'Ascèse
    Naomi Goodsir

Secretions Magnifiques - may the darkness be with you
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

I think I need to go through this thread more carefully and make a little sample list; "dark and dry" is my favourite kind of fragrance, too, although I don't care so much about the melancholic hint of bones... that said, I wouldn't call Slumberhouse that kind of dark, not to me. Too much of the woods, the outside; Slumberhouse is dim forest floors, the smells of fires and aromatic somethings in a dry field in an autumn dark, the squeak of perhaps a tiny animal somewhere in the underbrush. A deep burnished brown or a shadowed green.

Anyway, my suggestion is to track down some of Norma Kamali's Incense, particularly if you wandered around the Avignon and Messe de Minuit corridors and found them disappointing. That's dark, and dry. (Messe de Minuit, by comparison, is a sunny Paris bathroom in a romantic comedy. I don't know about the earlier formulations, but my sample was a big disappointment to me.)

And then, like me, perhaps, you will mourn bitterly at the realisation that the stupid stuff is absolutely unobtainable. It's my current Holy Grail, and the only thing I hope the Perfume Fairy will bring me this year is a nearly-full bottle from someone who will ship to Canada....

Here are my favs:

Or Black
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    Kolnisch Juchten by Parfums Regeance
    Avignon by CDG
    Cardinal by Heeley
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    Breath of God by Lush
    CDG 2 Man
    Gucci I Pour Homme

Krizia Uomo & Pino Silvestre are way way dry & darker than Salvador Dali PH ....

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I think I need to go through this thread more carefully and make a little sample list; "dark and dry" is my favourite kind of fragrance, too, although I don't care so much about the melancholic hint of bones... that said, I wouldn't call Slumberhouse that kind of dark, not to me. Too much of the woods, the outside; Slumberhouse is dim forest floors, the smells of fires and aromatic somethings in a dry field in an autumn dark, the squeak of perhaps a tiny animal somewhere in the underbrush. A deep burnished brown or a shadowed green.

Anyway, my suggestion is to track down some of Norma Kamali's Incense, particularly if you wandered around the Avignon and Messe de Minuit corridors and found them disappointing. That's dark, and dry. (Messe de Minuit, by comparison, is a sunny Paris bathroom in a romantic comedy. I don't know about the earlier formulations, but my sample was a big disappointment to me.)

And then, like me, perhaps, you will mourn bitterly at the realisation that the stupid stuff is absolutely unobtainable. It's my current Holy Grail, and the only thing I hope the Perfume Fairy will bring me this year is a nearly-full bottle from someone who will ship to Canada....

Hello CompassRose,

it's funny that girls seem to have a better understanding for what I am looking for! After iivanita you are the the second female person who does so!

I have already a sample of Norma Kamali's Incense and yes I like it. It's very dry, exactly how I want it to be and it even has something metallic in it that I also like. Only the base is a bit too sweet (labdanum?), it has a brown colour where it should be black. Avignon and Messe de Minuit are indeed big disappointments for me! Avignon is like a parody of church-incense and the current version of Messe de Minuit is a bad joke (I wrote a negative review some time ago)!

It may sound funny but Eau de gentiane blanche from Hermes has some of the qualities that I am looking for! Of course it's not black in colour, more grey, but it's bone-dry, has absolutely no sweetness and has a kind of isolated and sad/melancholic feeling!

Okay, I am coming closer to my desired scent: I have to mix NK Incense with real Oud, with a bit of Norne and some Eau de gentiane blanche! Too bad I have not samples from all of them right now, maybe it would really work!

Maybe some people are interested in music: The aural equivalent to my perfume is the album "Black Earth" from Bohren & Der Club of Gore!

Comme Des Garcons 2 EDP
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Banned

i love this thread ! becasue it would be so nice people talk more about colours when talking about perfumes..for someone who has never tried certain perfume this can be really helpful thing like atmosphere of it...
    but somehow i think that if anything there would give me super dark association may not be wearable

Slumberhouse is dark....but even more deep woods and massive, like massive wood, i would compare it to the furniture....table with full big wooden legs.....but its so masive so masculine to my nose, i can not pull it off, but very natural, dense.

and if i may use this opportunity to ask
    if someone can say Or Black...how it would compare to everything else becasue i imagined this may be one dark masculine perfume....and if its not dark what colour would be suitable for it?

and Amouage Tribute...if someone could comment where on scale of darkness this would come...

also Onda is one of the most bitter perfumes i have tried it is though dark brown colour that turns into light brownish, but would win the contest of rthe most bitter perfume i know

thank you for any input on the above 2 i asked

I had a sample of Tribute once and it is certainly darker than Homage, I would compare it to Mecca Balsam, although Tribute is a bit less sweet and a bit more smoky in a cigarette kind of way, but very pleasant. I hope my memory is correct because I also thought that Tawaf smells a bit like Homage.

Banned

hehehe thank you very much Hoschhti!! this is helpful!....was just thinking becasue so many guys like it that its maybe not suitable for girls...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

My only frag that "scares" me is Athunis by Sigilli. Makes the Salvador Dali smell like a Dandy's floral.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Bvlgari Black. The burning rubber note makes it dark even though it has a sweetness to it.

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    and if i may use this opportunity to ask
    if someone can say Or Black...how it would compare to everything else becasue i imagined this may be one dark masculine perfume....and if its not dark what colour would be suitable for it?
    I would say the vintage stuff is a very dark lilac / violett (cistus, sage, amber, incense) and a super-rich dark brown (representing the creamy, strong leather accord) - some may see that as black too since it's based on birchtar. It kind of morphs into something lighter later on. It then reminds me of something fleeting, yet complex like gasoline but I can't really assign that to a colour anymore.

For the first half imagine Colt Sievers turned into Dracula - or Garth Marenghi.

Last edited by Nasenmann; 12th February 2013 at 03:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Tom Ford Black Orchid. Rich and without light florals or citrus.

Elegant. Like a tuxedo.
    ...+1
    "When the milk,
    tasted like perfume,
    you had been drinking from the carton,
    and I knew."

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    Salvatore Dali PH
    This.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    Bvlgari Black. The burning rubber note makes it dark even though it has a sweetness to it.
    I don't like it! Too mainstream, too synthetic, too sweet!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Which sort of Oudh was it that came close?
    I must admit that I am not the biggest Oud-expert, but it was from Agaraura and was called Minyak Merauke. I also liked his mukhallat Bushi No Kaori. I like the smell of Oud after a day or so, when all the other notes are gone and this really dark and smoky base remains.

+3 to Avignon CdG. Really mean and dark.

Maybe some people are interested in music: The aural equivalent to my perfume is the album "Black Earth" from Bohren & Der Club of Gore!
    Ah, yeah, I can see why Norma Kamali isn't quite right. Too thick. Your darkness would seem to be at once black and piercing, hm, urban. I wouldn't exactly say industrial, but the existence of machines is a given. NK is more primeval.

I haven't had much luck (so far) in finding the dryness you speak of, except in Paper Passion, which is otherwise altogether not what you're looking for. Though I think I am more drawn to the primeval dark myself, and scents that are, or seem to be, closer to natural sources.

Boys , I tried Salvador Dali pour homme and Dirty English side-by-side.
    oh boys, Salvador Dali has only 1/10 of "darkness" in comparison to Dirty English....

Depends how you like your dark.. sexy dark, bitter dark, there-is-so-much-patchouly-in-this-my-senses-are-going-numb dark but Amouage Memoir, Mazzolari Lui, Dior Leather Oud & Oud Ispahan, and MFK Lumiere Noire come to mind. Then there are CdG Incense series.

Ah, yeah, I can see why Norma Kamali isn't quite right. Too thick. Your darkness would seem to be at once black and piercing, hm, urban. I wouldn't exactly say industrial, but the existence of machines is a given. NK is more primeval.

I haven't had much luck (so far) in finding the dryness you speak of, except in Paper Passion, which is otherwise altogether not what you're looking for. Though I think I am more drawn to the primeval dark myself, and scents that are, or seem to be, closer to natural sources.
    I tested some "industrial" fragrances like Lonestar Memories, SMN Nostalgia, Bulgari Black, but I disliked or even hated all of them! I am a big fan of natural perfumery. Scents that smell too synthetic are disqualified already in the beginning.

NK Incense goes already in the right direction, I just wished it would be darker and stricter (not so fat) in the base, replacing the Labdanum(?) with Oud. I also like the primeval kind of darkness like a beast lurking in a dark cave, I think that's why I like Oud. I also like a spiritual "churchy" and smoky vibe like monks with hooded robes in a medieval monastery. So NK Incense goes in the right direction, it's just not black enough.

What I like about the music is that the sound is totally black, even the saxophone has no colour, the whole music shows just different shades of black, no other colour!
    Last edited by hoschhti; 13th February 2013 at 08:48 AM.

dare I say..

TSAR by VC&A
    Bois Noir by Piguet
    SL MKK
    "The Exodus is here... The Happy Ones are near..Let's get together before we get much older!"
    - Pete Townshend

I am a big fan of natural perfumery. Scents that smell too synthetic are disqualified already in the beginning.
    when it comes to "dark + natural" there's really NOTHING like O'Driù. I strongly suggest you to explore this line...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Alfarom, is there anyone who sells O'Driu samples who ships to Canada? This line is already high on my list of things to try.

Dark doesn't mean much to me when it comes to scents. Maybe I associate dry and earthy scents as being dark, but then why not use those concepts rather than ambiguous "dark"?

It's funny how fragrances with word black in their name and the ones with black bottle are perceived as dark. Sometimes it's about the scent, but probably more often about the expectations and context that the name and the bottle sets.

Alfarom, is there anyone who sells O'Driu samples who ships to Canada? This line is already high on my list of things to try.
    The only way to get samples is contacting them via their website. Consider that all of their fragrances are released in extremely limited batches so they're not always available...

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    when it comes to "dark + natural" there's really NOTHING like O'Driù. I strongly suggest you to explore this line...
    Thanks for the tip!

Or Black by Pascal Morabito
    Narciso Rodriguez for him
    Last edited by badarun; 13th February 2013 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    The only way to get samples is contacting them via their website. Consider that all of their fragrances are released in extremely limited batches so they're not always available...
    I contacted them and they sent me an order form, but what is strange is that they want my VAT Number or National Insurance Number! Why?

Guerlain Djedi

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    I would say the vintage stuff is a very dark lilac / violett (cistus, sage, amber, incense) and a super-rich dark brown (representing the creamy, strong leather accord) - some may see that as black too since it's based on birchtar. It kind of morphs into something lighter later on. It then reminds me of something fleeting, yet complex like gasoline but I can't really assign that to a colour anymore.

For the first half imagine Colt Sievers turned into Dracula - or Garth Marenghi.

Skipper the Eye child!!!!

I'll chime in on these that have already been suggested as dark;

Amouage - Memoir Man
    Mazzolari - Lui
    Le Labo - Oud 27
    Montale - Black Aoud
    Montale - Dark Aoud
    Histoires de Parfums - Petroleum

I'll also add Tom Ford's Noir de Noir. Maybe I'm alone on this one, which is why no one else has mentioned it, but this one just screams dark to me, almost to the point where I would call it the olfactory epitome of it.

To scents you might wanna try.

Brosse by Slumberhouse
    Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

I contacted them and they sent me an order form, but what is strange is that they want my VAT Number or National Insurance Number! Why?
    I don't know, I'm not affiliated so I'm no expert when it comes to account related type of stuff but I guess it has something to do with shipping commercial stuff oustide of Italy (????)

Anyway, a lot of Basenoters have successfully purchased both samples and/or full bottles from O'Driù.