Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: What's the darkest scent that you know? And with dark I mean SUPER-DARK!!!

Some people in this thread have a very strange idea of what a "dark" frag is.
    Oscar de le Renta Pour Lui ?? Esencia Loewe ?? Really, guys?

Salvador Dali PH is so dark it actually smells like something is burning. Weird frag.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What's the darkest scent that you know? And with dark I mean SUPER-DARK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Yeah I think one of the problems here, if it is even a problem, is that there's no real consensus on what "dark" means in a fragrance, so I think we're all using our personal definitions of dark and the recommendations are all over the place... as per usual I guess, but moreso than with most threads of this type. And "dark" of course is a beguiling descriptor. Even if we did have a consensus on "dark" everyone would still have their own impressions of what fragrances meet the definition. In my case, just as an example, take the oft mentioned Montal Dark Oud, a wonderful fragrance and favorite of mine. It never strikes me as "dark". To me it's way too healthy and "up" smelling to be dark. Obviously Montale feels differently since they named it what they named it. In posing recommendations to this thread I tried to use the OP's definition of dark as much as I could understand it. And even then I misread some things he wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post

Salvador Dali PH is so dark it actually smells like something is burning. Weird frag.
    Esencia Loewe is dark, however its darkness strikes me as melancholic rather than evil.
    It appears the OP is seeking the latter.

Basenotes Plus

Czech & Speake No 88
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

Just bought Arabian Oud Musc Fakher (refined) and Musc Kaaba mukhalat oils. Gorgeous dark musc animalic scent.
    K.

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    To me this perfume is a bad joke! It's the number one on my hate-list! There is absolutely nothing dark in this perfume, the current formulation smells so cheap and bright, it's something for little girls! The older EDC-Version is a bit better, but still crap!

Avignon is also crap, a parody of real church-incense!
    I wouldn't go so far as "hate" but yeah. Messe de Minuit smelled like a sunny French bathroom. Soap, soap and more soap. Nothing dark at all. (And I couldn't smell the incense, either, but that might just be me and musks.)

And Avignon I kind of liked at first; I don't know church incense, but it does approximate the burning of frankincense tears... but again, frankincense? Dark? It's a bright, sunny resin, even while burning on a charcoal block.

(Then I bought a Tide washing machine cleaner packet which apparently is all Iso E Super, and now all I can think of when I smell Avignon is sparkling washing machines. I was about to buy a decant, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as "hate" but yeah. Messe de Minuit smelled like a sunny French bathroom. Soap, soap and more soap. Nothing dark at all. (And I couldn't smell the incense, either, but that might just be me and musks.)

And Avignon I kind of liked at first; I don't know church incense, but it does approximate the burning of frankincense tears... but again, frankincense? Dark? It's a bright, sunny resin, even while burning on a charcoal block.

(Then I bought a Tide washing machine cleaner packet which apparently is all Iso E Super, and now all I can think of when I smell Avignon is sparkling washing machines. I was about to buy a decant, too.)

What I don't like about Avignon is that it smells so synthetically built together. You have the very sweet vanilla-base, the smoke-imitating middle-part and it even tries to mimic the citrusy top-notes of real Frankincense by adding a thin citrus-smell on top. It doesn't smell organic, like one unity, it smells totally torn! It tries to copy real Frankincense, but fails in my opinion in doing it.

What I also don't like is that it really tries to copy real Frankincense! I am by no means an incense-expert, but I think the incense used in (Catholic) churches in Europe is most of the time a mix of different ingredients (including Frankincense) in numerous variations, but not just Frankincense alone - at least that's how I experienced it.
    Last edited by hoschhti; 18th March 2013 at 06:08 PM.

Your brief as far as what constitutes "dark" is a bit vague. While you list quite a few "dark" fragrances (I would have pointed you at Black Tourmaline) that you feel aren't "dark" enough, you fail to elaborate on why each misses the mark. Other than "Black Tourmaline", I would probably suggest you try Naomi Goodsir's "Bois d'Ascese", which is gorgeous rendering of straight up wood smoke. Or why not try wearing Diptyque's now discontinued room fragrance "Essence of John Galliano" - smoke and leather.

One of the problems you are liable to run in to is that fragrances are designed to be wearable (and to attract a purchaser). To my nose, something like "Black Tourmaline" pushes those boundaries while remaining wearable. If Durbano had made it much "darker", it probably would slip into novelty territory - something designed to attract a bit of attention for being outrageous, but not to sell. Not to be worn. Simply to provoke.

+1 Serge Noire Serge Lutens
    +1 Pure Oud By Kilian

I've never smelled anything remotely evil and dark, you can definitely cross of Salvador Dali pour homme , dior eau noire, and serge noire. They all smell really nice, salvador dali is bit old fashioned for me to enjoy wearing. I guess maybe i just dont know how evil and dark would translate into a scent. Weirdly, this thread topic has come up before which is why i tried salvador dali in the first place.

Cartier XIII Treizieme Heure.

Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post
    Your brief as far as what constitutes "dark" is a bit vague. While you list quite a few "dark" fragrances (I would have pointed you at Black Tourmaline) that you feel aren't "dark" enough, you fail to elaborate on why each misses the mark. Other than "Black Tourmaline", I would probably suggest you try Naomi Goodsir's "Bois d'Ascese", which is gorgeous rendering of straight up wood smoke. Or why not try wearing Diptyque's now discontinued room fragrance "Essence of John Galliano" - smoke and leather.

One of the problems you are liable to run in to is that fragrances are designed to be wearable (and to attract a purchaser). To my nose, something like "Black Tourmaline" pushes those boundaries while remaining wearable. If Durbano had made it much "darker", it probably would slip into novelty territory - something designed to attract a bit of attention for being outrageous, but not to sell. Not to be worn. Simply to provoke.
    Thanks for your recommendation of "Bois d'Ascese"! I read some reviews and they sounded promising. I hope this perfume doesn't have the "smoked ham"-type of smoke?

What I don't like about the perfumes mentioned in my original post:

Encre Noire: Weird musk-notes in the drydown, licorice-note, too synthetic (Iso E Super). I liked it at first but that suddenly changed. I have the persistent suspicion that the formula changed - or my taste.

Black Tourmaline: Has an "old man"-vibe!

Norne: It's too herbal-medicinal, almost too green, smells like a potpourri after a while, especially on fabric.

Fumidus: Too fat, too boozy, too herbal.

Messe de Minuit (current version): Bad joke!

In my colllection, the darkest one is encre noire. I don't know if it is possible to find an even darker one.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    In my colllection, the darkest one is encre noire. I don't know if it is possible to find an even darker one.
    I am sure it is possible!

If "dark" means absence of sweetness, florals, citrus etc., then Montale Dark Aoud. It smells like someone taking a wood burning kit to a pile of very dry cheap oud shavings.

I agree with Salvador Dali. Also, although I have never tried it, Messe de Minuit is supposed to be a very dark incense.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Gee Whiz is it that dark? I would love to get my nose a sample I just received Lalique's Encre Noire and I love it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Dior's Eau Noire is pure evil. Try it to believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Montale Dark Aoud and Black Aoud with added concentration have little sweetness and are bone dry and make me feel like in smothering in feul. Way too dark and heavy.
    I'm on the bandwagon with these.

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Esencia Loewe is dark, however its darkness strikes me as melancholic rather than evil.
    It appears the OP is seeking the latter.
    Thank you musky_monkey I think the Loewe and the Salvador Dali are two very much "dark" (which is not the same as "evil") fragrances but the Loewe is actually enjoyable. The Loewe is to me a bunch of ripe unsweet blackcurrants dug up from dark brown musty soil in a winter pine forest at midnight. The Dali is more like a black leather jacket soaked in sweat, urine and black rose petals sprinkled with patchouli.

The perfume should not have even the tiniest hint of sweetness, it should be extremely dry and maybe smoky.
    Kolnish Juchten has the smokey... an almost meaty leather based on birch tar.
    Last edited by John.G; 24th March 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Cuir D Arabie and black Afgano

Encre Noire and Carbone ve Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Narciso Rodriguez For Him Eau De Parfum Intense.
    + 1
    Givenchy gentleman

All you guys who recommended Dark Aoud made me very, very curious - a decant is already on its way to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Shanester66 View Post
    Czech & Speake No 88
    ^^^^
    This

Basenotes Plus

All you guys who recommended Dark Aoud made me very, very curious - a decant is already on its way to me!
    It's real good. But dark? evil? um..... not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    It's real good. But dark? evil? um..... not too much.

We'll see.

Basenotes Plus

We'll see.
    Keep your string of garlic handy.

My decant of Dark Aoud arrived and I gave it already a couple of wearings. In the beginning it has this luxurious "Amouage-vibe", but that fades away quite qickly and surprisingly the scent becomes very refreshing (I'm not kidding), light, smoky and very dry, but also a bit thin and slightly synthetic. I see it as a dark "Eau de Cologne" as it is so fresh and airy. To be a dark "Perfume" it would need a bit more "meat", a bit more body and deepness, some more "rawness". Dark Aoud is a bit too streamlined, too polite, but I really like it and feel very comfortable wearing it.

So I haven't found the SUPER-DARK "Perfume", but I have found a SUPER-DARK "Eau de Cologne"!

Another votes for Serge Noire and Pure Oud By Kilian
    Bois Noir Robert Piguet

Basenotes Plus

I just reviewed By Kilian Extreme Oud mr. hoschhti. Kinda dark, certainly darker than By Kilian Pure Oud which everyone keeps pushing here. But I don't think it's dungeon worthy dark by any means. Nice though.

Andy Tauer Incense Extreme.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    I just reviewed By Kilian Extreme Oud mr. hoschhti. Kinda dark, certainly darker than By Kilian Pure Oud which everyone keeps pushing here. But I don't think it's dungeon worthy dark by any means. Nice though.
    Very nice review! Can you tell me how it does compare to Dark Aoud?

I just also read your review of Dark Aoud and I'm glad that you describe it as "clean and fresh", so I am not completely wrong with my "Eau de Cologne"-comparison!
    Last edited by hoschhti; 30th March 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Very nice review! Can you tell me how it does compare to Dark Aoud?

I just also read your review of Dark Aoud and I'm glad that you describe it as "clean and fresh", so I am not completely wrong with my "Eau de Cologne"-comparison!
    Montale Dark Aoud and By Kilian Extreme Oud while both are good ouds are night and day. Dark always strikes me as having the scent of clean pine almost like comet cleanser. While I love the smell of it, I seldom choose to wear it.
    Extreme is low key dry and slightly leathery, I don't get too much more than that. The oud used in it is a nice dry one. I actually think most fragrance users would not be too impressed with it. I'm still pretty new to it but there's something about it that intrigues me. It's so "unperfumy" once it dries down, which is very quickly. Just something about it that's seems perfect for my tastes. Unfortunately it's very expensive and hard to come by. Of course.

Madini Musk Gazelle, maybe.

Clinique Happy

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnjay View Post
    Clinique Happy
    :lol

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnjay View Post
    Clinique Happy
    Very dark name

Basenotes Member

I don't own any dark scents beside H.O.T. always which is too dark to wear except for the coldest week or so of the year

Wearing right now the original 1980 version of Leonard pour Homme ; this is dark, profound and melancholic scent. To me this is dark from the beginning to the end.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

My decant of Dark Aoud arrived and I gave it already a couple of wearings. In the beginning it has this luxurious "Amouage-vibe", but that fades away quite qickly and surprisingly the scent becomes very refreshing (I'm not kidding), light, smoky and very dry, but also a bit thin and slightly synthetic. I see it as a dark "Eau de Cologne" as it is so fresh and airy. To be a dark "Perfume" it would need a bit more "meat", a bit more body and deepness, some more "rawness". Dark Aoud is a bit too streamlined, too polite, but I really like it and feel very comfortable wearing it.

So I haven't found the SUPER-DARK "Perfume", but I have found a SUPER-DARK "Eau de Cologne"!
    Well said. Dark Aoud is not a "meaty" fragrance or heavy at all, but it is certainly "dark" in the color spectrum. That's why I always feel as if it is a sort of outer space fragrance -- to me, it's somehow weightless but gives the impression of eyes wide open and still only seeing blackness (if that's not being too abstract). Glad you liked it, at least. I'm still curious to read your M/Mink impressions, though I'm almost thinking that that one may not be "meaty" enough for you either, though very dark in tone and color as well.

Lime oud. much more balanced and interesting then dark or black. Montale is the only way here.

I agree though, cold and dark on the wavelength of Re-load ambient for those who know what it is, I don't think it was ever done. Perfume scene is not designed for it. Has to be a niche label done by someone like Geza with unlimited budget. I see German or Belgium label doing it in the near future.

Actually Skai by Comme des is as close to your description as you can get. Discontinued at 2011 though.
    Last edited by outline; 1st April 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Slumberhouse - Norne

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Well said. Dark Aoud is not a "meaty" fragrance or heavy at all, but it is certainly "dark" in the color spectrum. That's why I always feel as if it is a sort of outer space fragrance -- to me, it's somehow weightless but gives the impression of eyes wide open and still only seeing blackness (if that's not being too abstract).
    I know what you mean. I think it is somehow almost science fiction-like. Makes me think of carbon fiber and cyborgs. Clean like a cleanroom.

Montale Dark Oud sounds good to me - I have yet to smell true evil but oh how I would like to. The darkest (but still beautiful and floral, sorry) that I have yet to encounter is L'Heure Bleu, which smells like death and funerals to me but I realise this is not the kind of dark you seek...
    A woman drew her long black hair out tight
    And fiddled whisper music on those strings
    And bats with baby faces in the violet light
    Whistled, and beat their wings

T.S Eliot

I don't know if the Huddler-data will ever come back so I am not waiting longer and bumping the thread with this little story:

Last year I visited my grandmother in the town where I spent the first four years of my life. In this town there is a cemetary with this old wooden church. The church looks nice - and it smells really nice! I have been there so often but this time I had the idea to check how the wood smells like. People gave me strange looks because I was standing there outside of the church and kept on sniffing the wood. The wood smells brutally dry, smoky but not burnt, really old and dusty. It gives me goosebumps, even now as I am typing this! If this scent could be bottled as a perfume that would be great, this is how I imagine a SUPER-DARK perfume to smell like! As you can see on the picture the wood is black, so I suppose it is coated with something (tar?), but I am not an expert, maybe it’s just ageing. I can find hints of that amazing smell buried deep in the basenotes of some high-quality Oud oils and the perfume that comes the closest to the smell of the church is probably "Dark Aoud", although it’s a bit on the synthetic side.

I094-61b6cb9.JPG
    Last edited by hoschhti; 4th March 2014 at 09:23 AM.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Hindu Kush

Try Malle's Bois d'Orage (French Lover)...very dry with a 'damp stone' note.
    If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -Alexander Solzhenitsyn, novelist, Nobel laureate

Wanting to try:

Fougre Bengale, Cafe Noir

Wanting to buy:

Yohji Homme EDT

Gothic - Messe de Minuit by Etro

The "darkest" scents I have ever tried - by "darkest" I mean either smokey, somber, dry, gloomy, are:

- CdG - Luxe patchouli: monolithic black. I've tried tons of "black" scents (with "black" in their name I mean) but this is so far the only real "black" scent I have ever tried.
    - CdG - Avignon (and similar, like Cardinal etc.): rather somptuous and foggy "dark grey".
    - Montale - Aoud Cuir d'Arabie: dry and animalic, by this meaning the "darker" cruel side of "animalic".
    - Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascse: woods burning. Not "aromatic" woods, I mean real wood, so in a way, there's still the "heavy black/grey smoke" concept which I guess is close to the idea of "dark" we are discussing here.
    - Ulrich Lang - Nightscape: urban, contemporary "dark" concept.
    - Annick Goutal - Encens Flamboyant: this is not "olfactively" dark or heavy, rather more balsamic, but it is still the most gloomy and funereal scent I have ever tried. It basically like your dead aunt's mansion. I get a strong feeling of "death" each time I smell this.
    - LM Parfums - Ambre Muscadin: romantic, feminine, old-fashioned and animalic "dark" take on classic French perfumery style. Basically on the very thin line between this and cat pee, but still, again, "dark" in broad terms.
    - Amouage - Memoir Man: I always imagined this as a crawling green ivy embracing a decaying mansion. Green and dark.
    - CdG - Sugi: another dark-green accord, definitely contemporary, still much gloomy at some points (to me).
    - Les Liquides Imaginaires - Fortis: sweet and rich start which slowly drowns down in a darker, and darker, and darker drydown. Too much dry to me (burnt rubber).

And of course, needless to name almost every oud fragrance on Earth (notably Oud Cashmere Mood by Kurkdjian and Musk Out by Kilian). And also whiskey/leather/tobacco scents (one of the boldest here to me is 1740 by Histoires de Parfums).
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 4th March 2014 at 02:22 PM.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Basenotes Plus

Norma Kamali Incense reminded me of old oak whisky barrels the first time of wearing - dark, dry but also substantial.

LM Hard Leather is also pretty dry & very dark.
    Last edited by lpp; 4th March 2014 at 02:20 PM.

lol, encre noir is NOT dark. The it has a minty freshness to it that gives the dirty vetiver a clean smell. It wears very light imo. Definitely not "super dark". It is probably the best vetiver scent imo.

You want super dark...super dank...burned...coffee...oud...tobacco...hashish.. .with a touch of sweetness. Nasomatto Black Afgano. Love this juice. Potent as hell too. Just got a bottle along with Pardon.

Memoir Man - real mint/basil...leather..kinda sweet...burned wood/incense. One of my favorites.
    Per FuMe - on FB. Check out my page. Like and Share. Disounts on most frags. https://www.facebook.com/PerFuMe.1505

Quote Originally Posted by Sly2scents View Post
    Gee Whiz is it that dark? I would love to get my nose a sample I just received Lalique's Encre Noire and I love it already.
    no...eau noire is not "dark". Its gourmand if you ask me. Its sweet liquorice, coffee, lavendar. Its good, but not "dark".
    Per FuMe - on FB. Check out my page. Like and Share. Disounts on most frags. https://www.facebook.com/PerFuMe.1505

Encre Noire smells like wet paint to me.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I don't know if the Huddler-data will ever come back so I am not waiting longer and bumping the thread with this little story:

Last year I visited my grandmother in the town where I spent the first four years of my life. In this town there is a cemetary with this old wooden church. The church looks nice - and it smells really nice! I have been there so often but this time I had the idea to check how the wood smells like. People gave me strange looks because I was standing there outside of the church and kept on sniffing the wood. The wood smells brutally dry, smoky but not burnt, really old and dusty. It gives me goosebumps, even now as I am typing this! If this scent could be bottled as a perfume that would be great, this is how I imagine a SUPER-DARK perfume to smell like! As you can see on the picture the wood is black, so I suppose it is coated with something (tar?), but I am not an expert, maybe it’s just ageing. I can find hints of that amazing smell buried deep in the basenotes of some high-quality Oud oils and the perfume that comes the closest to the smell of the church is probably "Dark Aoud", although it’s a bit on the synthetic side.

I094-61b6cb9.JPG
    If it's more brownish like it looks on the picture, I'm guessing it's some kind of Holzschutz-Lasur ("Xyladecor" would be a common brand in Germany). If it's indeed black / very dark brown you're probably right that it's tar or bitumen. In the past this was a common method for making woody surfaces weatherproof but has been restricted because of environmental issues recently. The one keyword to look up here is "Carbolineum" / "Karbolineum" - this is basically the creosote, that ScottW writes about in the post below.

But there are so many more possible factors that can be contributing to the smell of that church...
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 4th March 2014 at 04:14 PM.

... As you can see on the picture the wood is black, so I suppose it is coated with something (tar?), but I am not an expert, maybe it’s just ageing...
    The black stuff is probably creosote, created from distilling tars of wood or charcoal. Used as a preservative to protect wood against water and pests like insects & bacteria & fungi. Commonly used on wood telephone poles, for example. It smells mostly like smoke and tar.

When I lived in Seattle several years ago, there was a big fire on the NOAA dock on Lake Union. The pilings had been treated with creosote for waterproofing, and when they burned it created the thickest smoke you could imagine. My apartment happened to be downwind, and I had to evacuate for the day. It was absolutely choking, and the smell permeated everything. I don't have any desire for that in a fragrance, then again I have a fairly negative association with that aroma that others may not share.

CDG Avignon fits your description perfectly.

No. 88 Czech & Speake, Vintage Bel Ami and Amouage Tribute can also be considered.

Creed's love in black

I probably have a different definition of dark than others, but for me it's decisively... Ferrari Silver Essence

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jacewong View Post
    Creed's love in black
    are you serious? The only thing dark about that frag is the bottle.

Great thread, love seeing all the different interpretations of what dark means in a scent!

Montale Dark Aoud and Nasomatto Black Afgano are the things that came to my mind, as with so many others, but if you found Dark Aoud too synthetic, I daresay you'll have the same impression of Black Afgano.

Slumberhouse Jeke has all the smoke you could want, but it also has some benzoin sweetness so I guess you'd rule it out.

Why not wear oud oil, if that's the closest thing?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.