Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Why the like/nuetral/dislike ratio on Basenotes doesn't matter

A number of people have been asking this, and my answer is that the ratio between likes and dislikes on the basenotes review system are not a barometer on how much overall appeal a fragrance will have.

1. While nuetral and dislike are pretty clear on what they mean, like is ambiguous. What if a fragrance had 85% liked, but only 10% of those people LOVED it. Compare it to another that had 75% liked, but 40% of those people LOVED it.

2. People who like a scent are more compelled to write a review or put up a rating than someone who is indifferent on a fragrance. So it could say 90% of people like a certain fragrance, but the real number could be 50% and the other 40% didn't feel like showing up.

3. Basenotes is different from people in general. People on basenotes tend to appreciate scents that are musty and bizarre, whereas people in real life tend to not mind so much fragrances that are synthetic, worn a lot or a bit unoriginal.

Default Re: Why the like/nuetral/dislike ratio on Basenotes doesn't matter

Honestly have never personally paid attention to or been influenced by the rating results on Basenotes.

If you are going to start caring what strangers think of your scent, then you may as well dress and speak the way they see fit too.

You are very self conscious.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If you are going to start caring what strangers think of your scent, then you may as well dress and speak the way they see fit too.

You are very self conscious.

Dude, did you read my post? I said that it's NOT worth getting a fragrance based on ratio just to appeal to the most people.

I don't know how you implied that.

What I got is that BNers have freaky tastes and reviews on BN shouldn't be considered because that's not what people in the real world like.

for swap/sale:

The same issues hold for BN reviews as for any survey where respondents self-select.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I don't know how you implied that.

What I got is that BNers have freaky tastes and reviews on BN shouldn't be considered because that's not what people in the real world like.
    That is what I read too... and I completely disagree with the OP's assertion.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

I'm a real life person and enjoy interesting and stinky perfumes (as does my hot gf), thus I appreciate the reviews here quite a bit (incl the mentioned ratio). Basenoters are a mixed bunch and there are also users who seem to be less interested in perfume as an intriguing art but more in easy to like, non-offensive "panty droppers" or office scents. There's something for everyone.

If you think someone is a snob then don't read their comments or reviews. Overall though I think Basenoter's expect more from a fragrance and that's probably a good thing. It sounds like to me that your more suited to Fragrantica's system since you stated "love" and "like" in your post.
    Last edited by silentrich; 11th February 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Yeah, seriously, why do we have essentially the same thread twice, from the same OP, only a couple of months apart? If the rating system means so little, why so much talk about it, dude? Ironically, you're the only one who seems to care about either way!

Ok...that's just ridiculous.

Anyways, I pay no attention to the ratio anyway. If anything I read the negative reviews to see if it's something I'd have a problem with.

I find little correlation between ratings and my own tastes, so they aren't really useful in deciding whether to buy something.

Thinking about whether the rating statistics on BN or F will correlate to mass appeal is missing the point. If what you care about is wearing the most widely appealing scent, you need go no further than Sephora: Fragrance > Men's > Sort by: Best Selling

http://www.sephora.com/men-fragrance...PROD_NAME%3A0&

Do you wear fragrance to please yourself or to please other people?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    A number of people have been asking this, and my answer is that the ratio between likes and dislikes on the basenotes review system are not a barometer on how much overall appeal a fragrance will have.
    So pretty much stating the obvious in that people's tastes differ...got it.

My main issue with the BN directory is the concentration of reviews. As for the ratios they're simply an overview. Reading the reviews themselves will give you more than just the numbers to go on. Of course reviews arn't always reliable either for various reasons but I think everyone knows not to take strangers at their word particularly when dealing with something so subjective.

Basenotes' system is very good, because there is no option for just voting by giving stars or grades, but it encourages people to really write reviews. The whole thumbs up/sideways/down thing is there just to get a general idea, it's the content of the reviews that really matters.

I'm afraid I kind of missed the point OP was trying to make.