Code of Conduct

Default Versace Eros Revisited ~ WARNING !

Based on a single spray on a test strip I was very enthusiastic about this one. It seemed to have great projection, longevity and a dominant lively sparkling orange note.
    Recently on a purchase for another another fragrance I was given a 2 ml sample of Eros. I tried it three or four times on my skin and now have very different views on this one. My comparisons to Minotaure still hold true, but I no longer think that Eros is the better of the two. Once again it's down to these new very chemical components they all seem to be using in these newer fragrances. I now find Eros a one dimentional chemical "shrieker". One can not really use the word cloying because the fragrance is so flat that it's not rich enough and therefore not capable of being cloying. This fragrance is structured like a poorly designed air freshener.
    I really apologise if I have mislead anyone with my first fleeting, (very positive) impression of Eros. I got it totally wrong and obviously I should have tested it on my skin on that first occasion.
    It became so menacing on my skin and did not develope at all, so that after a couple of hours I had to wash it off. This was no easy task and after washing with soap, (four times!) I could still smell it clearly......even the next morning......

I find this new trend in the fragrance industry alarming. There seem to be so many releases now with this style of structure. It seems to my nose to be as if "a bit of everything" is thrown in, producing an unreadable chemical chaos.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Versace Eros Revisited ~ WARNING !

Thanks for the update. I have been looking to test this one recently but won't go out of my way now. The 'bit of everything' calls to mind CK Encounter!

Thanks for the first official review. We should be getting this State side in mid January / early February. It will be an exclusive launch to the Macy's Department Store. I was told a lot is going into this launch to make it a big hoopla.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ... I find this new trend in the fragrance industry alarming. There seem to be so many releases now with this style of structure. It seems to my nose to be as if "a bit of everything" is thrown in, producing an unreadable chemical chaos.
    I have been told by a chemical engineer working in the industry that the big coporations allocate many resources for the research and development of new aromachemicals. Since the patents only last five years, they have to assure they will cover the investment done and get the necessary turnover according to the financial objectives set to the project.

The end result for these business plans as per consumers is either an amazing amount of smell-alike concoctions (Paco Rabanne's One Million has millions of smell-alike versions, either produced by the same house - Puig - or others) or the presence of aromachemicals used across many launches (synthetic oud, for instance).

Be aware this is NOT something new, it has been like that since the 1990's: try Paco Rabanne's XS, Burberry for Men, Creed's Himalaya, Chanel's Platinum Eg÷iste, CK's Eternity and others I cannot recall, you will find basically the same kind of structure.

So, basically, this is the reason why you found the same kind of structure among so many recent releases.

I wonder if the solution would be to look after vintage fragrances or those made by artisans or independent perfumists.

when I get inundated by the same scent samples in diverse shops I start to suspect...to me Eros is utterly synthetic... and boring, also I started to believe the whole house has put the scent dept. down the drain!
    There's ice on the sink where we bathe ....So how can you call this a home.... When you know it's a grave

Thanks David for the update. I'm disappointed too. I guess Minotaure is still the best of that genre and another sad thing that it's discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Since the patents only last five years
    AFAIK patents are usually for 20 years from the time of filing. New chemicals also have 5 years exclusivity which covers the situation where approval for use is not cleared until after the patent expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Thanks David for the update. I'm disappointed too. I guess Minotaure is still the best of that genre and another sad thing that it's discontinued.
    There's still stock of Minotaure around; I suspect it has been reissued. Eg:

http://www.cheapsmells.com/productPa...name=Minotaure

Minotaure available all over the place!! Amazon, Fragrancenet, and Beauty Encounter all carry it. What's that about???
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garšons
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9
    Soon to include "Ab Spirit Silver"

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

It's going to be a while till i can smell this but thanks for the update

Thanks for the update.

I tried it today, and though it is not bad per se, its very cheap and synthetic, and not worth a purchase FOR SURE. A watered down version of 1 million with a vanilla top note and hints of mint. The middle and base notes are pathetic, it feels undone. Longevity is good , sillage is poor. Very one dimensional and boring.