Code of Conduct

Default Does it exists any great or even a masterpiece "sport" scent?

When i look all those "sport" flankers i don´t even think of testing any of them. I really don´t like the idea of labeling a scent as a sport. I want to decide by myself which scent i consider to be proper for casual wear. But maybe i may be missing some masterpiece out there due to my opinion. So guys, is there any good scent labeled as "sport" "fresh" "summer" that is worth trying?

Default Re: Does it exists any great or even a masterpiece "sport" scent?

Chanel Allure Homme Sport

Among other, Dior Homme Sport, Polo Sport come to my mind - maybe no masterpieces, but way above the average level of what one might expect from "yet another generic sporty flanker".

Overcome By Fumes

Sport? No. Usually affixing "sport" to the moniker means watered down, weak, aquatic and fizzy, none of which are usually qualities that improve a fragrance. But I still try them if I like the original. Someday, a great sport may come along. Mitsouko Sport is the one I'm waiting for.

Masterpieces are hard to come by, especially when it's trying to run on the tails of an original composition, but I'm fond of Jaipur Homme Fresh, and several of the Guerlain ones such as Vetiver Frozen or the feminine L'Instant d'un Ete.

Sorry, I can't come up with anything "great".

Dior Homme Sport
    +1
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Tiffany for Men Sport

Declaration Cologne

Sound Scents

Lacoste Eau de Sport by Jean Patou
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Another vote for Tiffany. The word "sport" has no meaning when applied to it. Tiffany for Men Sport is a really wonderful, junipery, daily wear fragrance.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I'm with you here - I strongly dislike marine notes or woody ambers, which pretty much excludes all sport scents.

cacio

I'm not a fan of any of the so called Sport fragrances. The last one I liked was Lanvin L'Homme sport. But wasn't very much impressed with it. I find Aramis Life a bit better but it is not labelled as a sport frag. But I find it to be different from others and IMHO it has a sport vibe attached to it.
    I too am waiting for a 'masterpiece' in the genre.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Basenotes Junkie

I think Tom Fords Neroli Portofino could be a pretty good sport scent.

I could imagine freshening up with that after a good gym session and shower would be pretty nice and refreshing.. Its powerful stuff though.

Guerlain's Habit Rouge Sport

I'm still not sure wahy they called it 'sport' as it's nothing like most other sport frags but as a fragrance in its own right it's great.

+1 on the Dior Homme Sport (both 2008 & 2012 are A+)
    +1 on Allure Homme Sport

Chanel Allure Homme Sport

I was a fan of Polo Sport when it came out in the early 90's. I keep a bottle for nostalgic purposes but never reach for it.

I have Allure Homme Sport Cologne <clear bottle>, like it, and use it.

A few months ago I was gifted Polo Sport Extreme which evidently is discontinued. I was never interested in checking it out, most certainly because of the 'sports' tag to it. It is spicy/peppery and I've got no idea why it was ever marketed as a 'sport' scent. Perhaps I don't understand the tag. I like this one.

Oh yeah, then there's Guerlain Vetiver Sport. More lemon? Maybe, but imo it's close enough to the regular.

Dior Homme Sport and Chrome Sport are two I like.

Basenotes Plus

I like Armani Code Sport. I know a lot of people don't as it is quite different from the original Code.

I would not call it a masterpiece by any stretch of the word, but it is a really good scent.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can wear it again.

Polo Sport is also a good one, from what I remember.

The only one I would consider wearing (and have) is Lanvin Sport - really very good

Keep in mind, the word SPORT is just a form of marketing. It's an easy way to sell fresh scents to guys who know nothing about perfume and think SPORT = MANLY. I'm not bashing so-called Sport-scents, by the way. Chanel Allure Homme Sport is definitely good stuff, and Chanel could have easily named it something like Allure Homme Fraiche. And Versace Pour Homme Eau Fraiche could have easily been named Versace Pour Homme Sport.

The word Sport is just marketing.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I like Dior, Armani Code and Kouros Sport. Lanvin is nice too but I like it a little less than I used to.

Basenotes Junkie

If you happen to like the general "sporty" vibe and copious amounts of calone, then sure. I'd imagine that both Allure Homme Sport and Dior Homme sport would fit the bill.

I tried on Dior Homme sport the other day and got pretty ill and sick from it. The sickening sea-sport-calone-HELL makes me nauseous. Guess that frees me from all of it's kind - money saved.

Dior Homme Sport 2012. That additional iris note takes it to another level. Beautiful.

The only "sport" or "light" flanker that I've liked so far is Dior Homme Cologne.

I've also read good reviews about Rive Gauche PH Light -- it being fresher and with less anise, which sounds nice, but I haven't had any luck finding a sample or bottle.

Charriol Homme Sport is a good one IMO.

Crairborne Sport is fantastic and a HUGE compliment getter.

Santos Sport is great for hard to find.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Dior Homme Sport 2008

I concur with Dior Homme Sport (both versions) I think it was a mistake for Dior to add the 'Sport' moniker to this wonderful frag. Should have had it's own separate release!

I enjoyed Armani code sport, more than the original at least

Although it's not labeled as such, I think of Green Irish Tweed as the ultimate sport scent.

Blog Entries

YSL L'Homme Libre...Just b/c something is a flanker doesn't mean it is no good...give them a try and decide for yourself.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I haven't tried all sport fragrances, but chances are pretty slim that any would be capable of generating a consensus as a masterpiece.

That being said, you could probably talk about masterpieces within the "sport" genre. So just like you could say "Halloween" is a reference horror film and therefore a masterpiece in its genre, some people would probably not call it a masterpiece comparable to, say, Tarkovsky's Andrey Rublev. Many people who are into fragrances just don't like the "sport" genre.

Now as for masterpieces in this genre i'm not sure... I really liked Dior Homme Sport 2012, and although I have never given it a full wearing, Kurkdjian's recent (and mostly panned--maybe for the very reason that it is sort of in the sport genre and so has to be compared to other such fragrances rather than to mitsouko or something like that) Amyris homme struck me as a more refined, more elegant, and longer lasting Dior Homme Sport, and so might be worth looking at. But this was only from sniffing it in a store, so my memory might be wrong.

Kouros Eau de Sport is very nice, somewhat between the original Kouros and Kouros Fraicheur.
    Lanvin Homme Sport is nicer than Lanvin L'Homme, but still not as nice as Baldessarini Concentree!. So, I don't know..

I love Kouros Sport.

I agree with Dior Homme Sport. It's great.

Another "Sport" fragrance that I really like (which not too many others seem to like) is Givenchy Play Sport. Though I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, I think it's very good.

Yes. Gres Monsieur Sport.
    Gres Monsieur is a relatively unknown masterpiece similar to, (and way up there with) Ebene from Balmain.
    The sport version is a little bit different ~ tweaked and with more patchouly, making it even more delicious.
    Very hard to find, but worth it !
    Last edited by david; 12th February 2013 at 07:32 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Throw my vote in for Lanvin L'Homme Sport, too - it's no masterpiece, and I'd even hesitate to call it 'great' (I'm a hard marker), but it's damn good and I'm glad I own it.

Santos Sport is a true masterpiece.

Boss Sport

Dior Homme Sport and Aqua Fahrenheit are a pretty good combo.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No, but Allure Homme Sport isn't bad. Or at the very least, it's a step up from Allure.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Another vote for Tiffany. The word "sport" has no meaning when applied to it. Tiffany for Men Sport is a really wonderful, junipery, daily wear fragrance.
    This. It achieved a fresh sport vibe without any of the familiar "sport" ingredients. Ahead of its time.

Not a sporty fragrance per se, but I think Bleu would do the job.
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
    Or what's a heaven for?"

- Robert Browning, "Andrea del Sarto"

Dior Homme Sport see's a lot of action, especially during the warmer months.

Basenotes Member

As most of us have realized, the word "sport" (or lack of it) on the label does not indicate whether something is a true sport scent. I love Lanvin L'homme Sport, but with its heavy patchouli base I do not consider it to be a sport fragrance.

For me, it has to be something I would wear to the gym or for other sports activities like tennis or golf. The exception is water sports or the beach when I always reach for an aquatic.

I live a pretty active lifestyle, and the right scent at the right time is key. I need a sport frag to do two things: It absolutely must smell great when mixed with sweat! And it has to work in close quarters in a public setting, so that people don't find it offensive. Not a lot of fragrances can pass my two-pronged "hot and sticky situation" test. Here are some that do:

Polo Sport - A gold standard. The current version is just light enough, and can still be used for workouts at the gym IF you go easy on the trigger.

Polo Explorer - Outdoors only, say hiking during the cooler days of fall. They got the name right.

Chanel Allure Sport Cologne - Among the most versatile of the genre, appropriate just about any time.

Jean Paul Gaultier Monsieur - Similar to Mugler Cologne, but smells much more natural. My summer gym favorite. Impossible to over apply.

Body Shop White Musk Sport - My winter favorite, and a babe magnet at the gym!

Royall Rugby (available at Brooks Brothers) - Great for a wide range outdoor team sports, from weekend soccer to softball beer league.
    Last edited by RandolphCanuck; 12th February 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Devin is probably my least favorite Bernard Chant creation but Aramis did market it as a "sports" scent. I much prefer the female twin, Estee Lauder's Alliage. It was marketed to women as a "sports spray," but it bears no resemblance to the current sports genre. It is a bitter green chypre.

Agree with the majority here. Dior Homme Sport (both versions) are very good. Nothing to do with the original (which is a good thing IMHO)

I also own Armani Code Sport and Sport Athlete and enjoy them both.

I'm a big fan of Polo Sport. The one with the seaweed note. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to exist now (the note) and the scent has become far more generic as a result.

i like cartier roadster sport...one of the few sport fragrances that does not give me e headache...nice rosemary note..when i smell this frag it reminds me of a blue rosemary smell
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

For me personally, Chanel allure home sport, doesn't project after about 2 hours, but I still love it. Also Dior home sport, wearing that right now, already in the 70s in Florida, perfect weather for either one.

Polo Sport Extreme
    Lanvin Sport my granny really loves this one and she thinks its unisex enough to pull it off. I will be getting her a bottle soon;-)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    Boss Sport
    This one. Very unique vegetal marigold, vetiver and rich musk scent from the late 80s.

Alliage

treeman5823

Try Heeley's Sel Marin. Basically helional with ginger and lemon up top and cedar below.

I have not tried one scent with he word Sport in the name that I thought was excellent.
    I don't get the love for Allure Homme Sport. There is a very rough note in there that absolutely precludes it from serious consideration for me. The worst Chanel male scent by some way IMHO.
    My favourite has been Dior Homme Sport so far, the only one I would consider spending money on.
    Incidentally Lanvin L'Homme Sport is available in North England in Home and Bargain for the princely sum of £6.99 50ml if anyone is interested.

Dior Homme Sport is the only one I own/is worth owning in my opinion.

Basenotes Plus

RL Polo Sport (vintage)
    Cartier Santos Sport

Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme - this is one which gets overlooked but it is a great scent.

Sport de Paco Rabanne