Code of Conduct

Thread: Fragrance OCD

Default Fragrance OCD

I want to see if anyone else shares in this with me...not exactly what I do, but any weird practices you have.

For example, in my collection I usually like to have at least more than one bottle from any particular house. IF by some chance I can't find something in the same house I am willing to wear I will go with something by the same perfumer...BUT only as long as it pairs with another house I have only 1 bottle of.

Example...Bond's Coney Island paired with Rochas Lui: same perfumer but only 1 bottle from each house. Or something like Kenzo Air matched with Helmut Lang EDP (both Maurice Roucel)

Yes, yes I know this is batsh*t insane, but it helps me keep my head straight somehow.

It's kind of fun balancing my collection like that though...in a weird way, like a puzzle.

So, anyone else have any weird practices they do?

Default Re: Fragrance OCD

Naw, don't have any weird practices.

I need my perfumes to get rotated otherwise I'll start developing stale spots.

Basically I'll stop wearing perfumes from a certain area for no reason.

Glad that wifey rearranges my collection every few months.

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread SSV

for swap/sale:

I have actual OCD, but not regarding my cologne collection. Thank God. I guess I have what you'd call mild OCD. (checking things). I only have around 30-some bottles, and I'd like to sell 5 or 6. It does not bother me to sell off ones I don't love, so I don't think I have a hoarding aspect, either, but then, I don't really hoard anything. So, no, I don't really have fragrance OCD. There's no rhyme or reason to my collection, usage, arrangement of bottles, etc. Whew!!

I wonder how many of us have OCD. hedonist's comment struck a chord with me because I do something similar.

I prefer patterns, but I don't like the thought of being predictable. So, as odd as this may sound, I sometimes end up creating patterns in order to break up other patterns. For example, I reorganize my collection once a month, otherwise, I'd always reach for the same few. Seeing the bottles in a different order forces me to stop and think about what to wear rather than reaching for the third bottle from the left simply because it's a Monday.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

No similar symptoms regarding my actual fragrance collection in my case... yet I can understand what is happening and it's maybe just manifesting itself differently in my case. While I am by far not as concerned about my rotation, I tend to often classify not just fragrances by certain categories of notes, I also tend to examine and rate other sorts of (non-perfume related) pleasant smells/scents in my everyday life, as if they were part of my fragrance wardrobe.

For instance, when coffee, almost any other drink or foodstuff, certain cosmetics, right down to the forest or the fields (with all their vegetation), fresh laundry etc. smell pleasantly, I almost instantly think: "Wow, this smells good! Wonder if there is any fragrance resembling to this ever available on the market. And if so, I have to run to the next fragrance store to test it."
    While I don't rush immediately afterwards to the next fragrance store, a fragrance testing session, looking for anything even remotely replicating the liked scent notes, stays for quite long on "my to do list" and is, eventually, put in to practice.

I have to have all my bottles lined up straight. If one is twisted or anything, I have to straighten it - haha

Not I.

I really dislike it when people use the term "OCD" lightly. One of my good friends and boss has legitimate OCD, and her life is very difficult because of it. She compulsively washes her hands dozens of times a day, checks what she writes multiple times if others are going to read it (to the extreme, like spends 6 hours reading an email before sending it to her friend), etc. etc. Sorry to be the dude with the pinecone in his butt when no offense was meant, but still. I'm surprised Chuck didn't say anything :/.

As for me, I have some odd tendencies with regards to my collection, but not many. One is that I feel like I need to spray my bottles to keep them from getting "lonely." That doesn't mean I wear stuff I don't want to, but I just make sure I wear my whole collection and don't leave anyone out.

Another small thing I do is separate them by niche or designer. That way they are all grouped together for easy access and I think it looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I really dislike it when people use the term "OCD" lightly. One of my good friends and boss has legitimate OCD, and her life is very difficult because of it. She compulsively washes her hands dozens of times a day, checks what she writes multiple times if others are going to read it (to the extreme, like spends 6 hours reading an email before sending it to her friend), etc. etc. Sorry to be the dude with the pinecone in his butt when no offense was meant, but still. I'm surprised Chuck didn't say anything :/.
    I honestly didn't mean to offend, and as I'm sure you're aware there are various levels of OCD, obviously the more serious ones are life altering...

That being said, I wasn't exactly trying to use the term lightly. I honestly do get so fixated on figuring something like this out that it eats away my day, to the point where I feel somewhat anxious and uncomfortable if I can't make it work in my head.

Now, I know I'm no where near full blown anything, so to anyone that I possibly could offend, I'm sorry.

I was merely seeing if anyone has any weird ticks like I do.

Perhaps you're assuming that those who mentioned it don't actually have it. Mine's mild, and for that I am thankful.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I hate to use a fragrance too narrowly spaced, which means I won't choose a bottle if I've worn it recently (save very few exceptions).
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Can't say that I do.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I respect where you're coming from. It can be a debilitating disease. I do struggle with it at times, and sometimes I have to make light of it just to get through it. Getting out of the house in the AM can be a real pain due to "checking" safety related things, in addition to water faucets, etc. So, yes, I can truly sympathize with the serious side. The longer I live, the more I realize that just about everyone has an issue or two. We've all got our crap to deal with. I'm just blessed that mine has not involved my favorite hobby!

As for me, I have some odd tendencies with regards to my collection, but not many. One is that I feel like I need to spray my bottles to keep them from getting "lonely." That doesn't mean I wear stuff I don't want to, but I just make sure I wear my whole collection and don't leave anyone out.

Another small thing I do is separate them by niche or designer. That way they are all grouped together for easy access and I think it looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Perhaps you're assuming that those who mentioned it don't actually have it. Mine's mild, and for that I am thankful.
    Like I said, I didn't mean to be a dick about it or anything, just pointing it out was all. I also hate people who derail threads :P.

No weird practices, unless buying an entire line blind would be considered as such.

I have a 6.6oz bottle of L'homme that I received as a gift and the 3.3oz bottles of La Nuit and Libre. It drives me crazy.

Nothing particularly weird. Sometimes I move them just because I make a new purchase so I have to make some room. I also like to take pictures of them...mainly portraits or "family shots"....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Hi, I wrote the paste attached below in May of 2010. I've had marked OCD all my life which can be a real curse because my brain can torture me. But it does sometimes have its positive aspects. OCD is an anxiety disorder and not a thought disorder. So I know my thoughts and compulsions are irrational but still have a constant battle with them. It is like a thought gets stuck in a gear. I am still collecting and need to watch my OCD, which often is addiction for me as well. I only call what I would wear, as part of my wardrobe. Perhaps 40 scents now, and the others I give away, sell or trade. I do not like to keep anything I no longer like or wear. If I do not like the looks of a bottle but still like the juice, I decant it so it all looks 'neater' to me. All my decants are in the same style of bottle, from the same manufacturer. (15, 30, 60, 100 ml, and neatly arranged in a box). And I make 5 ml roll-on's of all of them since I do not usually like to wear too much scent and I can keep the amount I wear in check better. I too, have back ups of my very most favorite even though I will never finish the original bottle.Ive even had some bottles, maybe 7-8 in four years, I disliked the looks of so much and could not find a home for them, that tossed in the garbage. At least at my age now 71, I can laugh at myself and do the best I can to finally accept all this. Anyways, thanks for listening. I try to help educate people on how debilitating OCD can be. See below for earlier post on the subject. If anyone wants to chat with me about OCD feel free to contact me. Sam

Fragrance Wardrobe
    Default Re: Collecting Fragrances: Do You Feel Like an Adict?

I have OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), and collecting is often a part of this. I am surprised that I do not see more postings about OCD. When I first discovered BN I was going to find a signature scent, and maybe two more. I like odd numbered amounts , also part of my OCD. Well, now I have over 30 scents, transferred all my decants to the same exact 15 or 30 ml atomizers, made a container to hold them and have them all alphabetized. More OCD. The full bottles are neatly in order too, and for a couple of favorites I have back ups, even though I know I probably will ever finish the first bottle, and know I can never use up all the scents I have. I am glad I don't want to collect perfume bottles on top of this. The addiction part for me is being is the elated feeling from ordering samples then anxiously awaiting the mail to come, and being excited when it does. Then, awaiting a larger 15- or 30 ml decant to arrive or a full or partial bottle of any I want to keep in my wardrobe. I could have worse obsessions. Years ago I got focused on gem stones and they needed to be top grade. These are really expensive. I had to have a white diamond, yellow diamond, brown diamond, then a stone of each color, Ruby, blue Sapphire, green Emerald, and one of each class of lesser known gems. I spent way over my budget and got myself in trouble maxing out several credit cards etc. Addiction again. I do not see me going down that road here as I have tried now over sixty scents and 'only' wanted to keep thirty.
    I also check this site out first thing each day. Addiction again. I read what's for sale or trade, the new reviews for the day, male and just starting forums etc.
    Some people with OCD wash their hands 50 times a day, or check the locks on their doors 30 times before they can go out, many collect and hoard various items, and I at present , collect and enjoy colognes. If I overspend I know I am in trouble and the obsession and addiction will win out. Thanks for your ear. Sam

No frag compulsions here. No patterns, no discernable habits, no games.

I almost wish I did have some system or order to the whole thing, though, as choosing a perfume each day can be slightly difficult and sometimes I worry about ones I love but don't wear enough.

Sorry to be the dude with the pinecone in his butt when no offense was meant,
    You have a bottle of Pino Silvestre in your butt? Bummer...
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I keep my collection on silver serving trays on my bureau and I have to keep the bottles in a semi circular pattern and tallest to shortest moving to the front of the tray. It just keeps them looking neat!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

A few weird things about me and my collection.

SPRAYERS MUST FACE TO THE FRONT!!

If I buy a bottle and there are flankers, I must buy the same sized bottle if I purchase a flanker. Example: I first purchased Dior Homme Intense 100ml. I couldn't live with myself to purchase Dior Homme or my Dior Homme Sport in a 50ml. Same with my Varvatos. I purchased a 75ml Artisan and I matched it with a 75ml John Varvatos Vintage. If I ever buy another John Varvatos flanker, it would most definitely have to be a 75ml to match. Same with Thierry Muglers, Creeds, etc...

My bottles are lined up and organized pretty straight and even. If my girlfriend has been in there (which at times she likes to sniff the tops) then I can tell as soon as I open my cabinet.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

See...we've all got our crap. Own it baby!

Dependent

ssv, I know that Brian Chambers basically has the same disease you've got, about always having at least two of any given line. What a strange coincidence!

I tend to keep my sprayers toward the front too, just for convenience sake, but it's certainly not compulsive. Also, I tend never to layer fragrances later in the day, etc. because I like to keep the fragrance experience pure. Again, that's not really compulsive either, it's more aesthetic -- I've been burned with bad accidental layerings so I avoid it unless I predict it'll work well.

So I guess the answer for me would be no. I'm just a very, very fucking serious hobbyist, which might be its own type of compulsion -- curious to learn every aspect, try new releases, and generally be involved in the industry usually daily.

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post

If I buy a bottle and there are flankers, I must buy the same sized bottle if I purchase a flanker. Example: I first purchased Dior Homme Intense 100ml. I couldn't live with myself to purchase Dior Homme or my Dior Homme Sport in a 50ml. Same with my Varvatos. I purchased a 75ml Artisan and I matched it with a 75ml John Varvatos Vintage. If I ever buy another John Varvatos flanker, it would most definitely have to be a 75ml to match. Same with Thierry Muglers, Creeds, etc...

My bottles are lined up and organized pretty straight and even. If my girlfriend has been in there (which at times she likes to sniff the tops) then I can tell as soon as I open my cabinet.
    I do this as well. I can especially relate to knowing when my girlfriend has been sniffing or using my collection! LOL!! I also relate to SamF about checking BN everyday first thing in the morning to see what is new in the Sale/Swap threads and Forums.

I tend to do this kind of stuff with any hobby. If you think collecting fragrances is an expensive hobby, try getting into Medium/Large format film photography and Developing! Yikes, that one is a bank account drainer, not just a wallet drainer!

OD, perhaps, but no OCD.

I knew that a lot of people here had some issues
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I think, as somebody mentioned that there are many levels of OCD and many many people suffer to a greater or lesser degree.
    I can imagine it getting irritating when the term is used for behaviour which is just a bit anal retentive but I think it's good for people to know that they are not alone with their tendencies. I have had my own quirks in the past, particularly when there was a lot of pressure in my life and I can imagine how a strong bout of it could be extremely debilitating.
    That said, I don't really have any special ones to with frags (except maybe a refusal to leave it all alone now that I have enough scents to last me many years and I really know that there isn't a holy grail out there that's going to make all the difference..

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    No weird practices, unless buying an entire line blind would be considered as such.
    No, that's completely normal for psychos like us.

Basenotes Member

Fragrances are too expensive for me to develop OCD over!

One or two for each season does me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post

It's kind of fun balancing my collection like that though...in a weird way, like a puzzle.
    Well, I can see that it can be fun and amusing. But can't really see how it is "balancing".

Keep having fun,
    Cheers,
    Renato

Blog Entries

I have very mild OCD, I check the stove, etc. before I leave the house...Fragrances not so much, except there are a few that I HAVE to put one squirt on the back of my hand b/c I must sniff it multiple times per hour. Just a few of my scents, all of them have an astringent quality...NY Amber by Bn9, Dark Aoud Montale, Paper passion, and Dry Wood by Ramon Monagal. weird!!!
    I have a MASTERS DEGREE in Psychology, and am a A Registered Nurse. People are not taking OCD lightly, it is common knowledge that mental disorders are gradiant between mildly troublesome symptoms to intense full blown symptoms. Just b/c someone talks of light or mild symptoms doesn't mean they are making fun, or taking it lightly...GROW UP!!!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I have the exact same thing. Moreover, the arrangement of my primary shelf has to be symmetrical and make a sort of "visual sense." Here's my collection as of today (pardon the grainy photo and crappy lighting). I couldn't give a toss about the upper shelf (that's where i keep stuff that I never wear and want to give away/sell), but the main one I'm obsessively fastidious about.

Basenotes Plus

Can't think of anything other than that I try not to repeat frags from the day before.

That's only logical.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    That's only logical.
    You'd be surprised!!
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II