Code of Conduct

Default if you were blindfolded, do you think you can name every fragrance in your collection?

if you were blindfolded, do you think you can name every fragrance in your collection? Just by sniffing the sprayer... I definitely can with my 30+ bottles in my collection... it's amazing how the nose and brain works together.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: if you were blindfolded, do you think you can name every fragrance in your collection?

Actually tried this recently and I was 100% accurate (not literally with a blindfold lol) with a decant order I placed. Obviously with the decants I couldn't cheat by the feel of the regular bottle.

Default Re: if you were blindfolded, do you think you can name every fragrance in your collection?

I have over 100, no way.

Yeah, I think I could, too...although I'm not sure only sniffing the sprayer (without actually spraying or feeling the bottles in my hand...) would be quite enough to clearly distinguish Knize Ten from Etro Gomma or maybe even Chanel Sycomore from Lalique Encre Noire... but all the others, sure...

I only own 30 or so bottles, but yes I think I could do it no problem.

Great question!

Full bottles - I have over 130 now... probably not. Some I have only worn once, and I have some that are quite similar (M7 / M7 Oud Absolu, KC Black / KC Vintage Black, etc) - that would make it pretty hard. I would like to give it a try sometime.

I wouldn't stand a chance with my samples - I haven't even tried many of them yet, and most of the others I have only worn once so far.

For this question, size matters !

30 bottles in my collection. No sweat. Easy money.

yes definitely

91 bottles in my collection and I most definitely could do that. I sniff random bottle sprayers on a daily basis and have become quite close with all my bottles haha.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

25 bottles. Yup definitely could identity every single one.

I have a small collection, but I'd prossibly miss some samples

Over 100 full bottles and God only knows how many samples. It would be a challenge, but I'd like to think I could accurately identify 90% of the full bottles.

I agree with dougczar - this is a cracking question.

I think I'd have trouble with my attars, but the full bottles (around 120) I reckon I should be ok.
    I think the two fragrances I have that smell most similar - at least according to discussions here - Sycomore and Encre Noire, smell most different at their opening, and I'm very confident I could identify them.

The only ones that would provide me any challenge would be the real cheapies - Antonio Banderas, Pal Zileri Lab, Corduroy (I don't smell much out of this, I find it really weak) and That's Amore. I just don't wear them very often and they DO smell unremarkable.

Yes I'm under 35 bottles so easily possible.

I am around 70 bottles, and there are a few that would stump me just because they are so similar to something else I have.

The ones that would be more difficult to distinguished are the GIT / coolwater, but an expert nose can tell the difference
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I have over 100, no way.
    Same here!

I'm just under 25 bottles, so I wouldn't have a problem with it!

I have 4 bottles. Definitely hahaha

Without a doubt I could and I have 50+ bottles!

Basenotes Plus

Like someone mentioned above, depends on if I got to spray the fragrance or not. I only have 20 bottles so if I sprayed each one, it would be very easy for me. If I could only smell the sprayer, I'd have trouble between LIDG and LIDGE. I also can't smell 1 Million straight from the sprayer which is kind of ironic considering it is one of the more potent fragrances out there.

All 1,400+ - Not a chance

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    All 1,400+ - Not a chance
    how much money do you think you've spent on fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by crispyjuicy View Post
    how much money do you think you've spent on fragrances?
    I don't have nearly as much as hednic, but I still wouldn't want to know how much money I've spent on my collection. It's just one of those things I prefer not to think about.

I would be able to do it i think. With the exception of maybe some of the fresh "designer" bottles. A lot of those smell so similar sometimes, especially early on.

I surely can

Of my full bottles, probably.

maybe only half of all my collection
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

One word: Yes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes. I'm very familiar with my fragrances.

Not really, after 50+, it would become difficult, yet I'd still recognize some of the personal favorites.

With ease. When I smell a fragrance and understand it (if that makes sense), I can form sort of mental image of it. It's very similar to remembering face of a person you know.

Yes, I have only about 20 different scents and they're distinct enough from one another that I can tell them apart.

Fun challenge...I'll have to try sometime. Right now, I think my collection is small(ish) enough that I could probably do it. To be fair, when I hunt for a frag, I'm hunting for something specific...so I'm usually not looking for frags that smell similar to each other.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

If it were just smelling the atomizer (something I do a lot) then probably yes. If it were something after it's dried down it might be a bit harder.

Sound Scents

Certainly.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

I should hope I can - I don't usually pull the trigger on a full bottle or even a large decant unless I like it enough to tell it apart blind from the other things I've sampled.

Most of them. All of them? Doubt it. I'd probably struggle to say which is which when it comes to some of my "old men's scents".

I am a bit diffident about these data.....
    The REAL blind test is the following: 1-spray each fragrance on paper, 2-write on the edge the name of the fragrance, 3-then mess up all the papers (35 fragrances=35 papers) and 4-smell and try to identify , without reading.
    I have NEVER seen a 100% accurate when the fragrances are n > 25
    Even more difficult, after 6-12-18 hours...

(BTW this is a very good test to check perfume quality: if you can smell something on paper, after 24-36-48 hours, THIS is a proof of great quality of "ingredients" used)

I only have about 25 scents, so I definitely could tell them apart since most are not even remotely similar. Of the samples I have though, I probably couldn't identify them all since I rarely wear some of them.

For my bottles, yes. For my samples, no.

I am pretty sure I could, though I only have around 30 bottles. Sounds like a fun exercise to try on a rainy day though! I will have to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    I should hope I can - I don't usually pull the trigger on a full bottle or even a large decant unless I like it enough to tell it apart blind from the other things I've sampled.
    +1

I have an extremely small collection, so it's a no brainer, but I hope I never get to the point where I'm buying bottles that are so close to something I already have that I can't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    I am a bit diffident about these data.....
    The REAL blind test is the following: 1-spray each fragrance on paper, 2-write on the edge the name of the fragrance, 3-then mess up all the papers (35 fragrances=35 papers) and 4-smell and try to identify , without reading.
    I have NEVER seen a 100% accurate when the fragrances are n > 25
    Even more difficult, after 6-12-18 hours...

(BTW this is a very good test to check perfume quality: if you can smell something on paper, after 24-36-48 hours, THIS is a proof of great quality of "ingredients" used)
    That seems like a great test!

I could do this for my 10-12 fragrances without any problems.

Yes, so long as I get to look through the bottles once before.

The full bottles, yes; the samples, no.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

easily

treeman5823

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    The full bottles, yes; the samples, no.
    Haha! Agree!