Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Can you name any frags that have escaped the IFRA restrictions?

Can you name any frags(masculine or feminine) that have escaped the IFRA restrictions? Let's try to keep the conversation to designer frags and not niche.

Thanks!
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Default Re: Can you name any frags that have escaped the IFRA restrictions?

Can't think of any off-hand.

I was under the impression you almost had to go niche to get frags that skirted the IFRA restrictions...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

doubtful. all designers are members of the IFRA

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you mean by 'escaped' but I'll assume you'll agree that most all, if not all, designers are members and/or are subject to IFRA guidelines. And, just so we're clear as to how compliance works, generally speaking (1) IFRA has intermittently issued its restrictive guidelines, (2) those subject to them are given time to meet them, and (3) once the guidelines are in effect IFRA will sample check the marketplace within the fragrance categories for compliance. If you look at IFRA's site, there haven't been many cases of non-compliance at all. Obviously, fragrances that have not been sample selected could be in violation of a guideline whether intentionally or inadvertently so. But who here would possibly have THAT info and, moreso, why would they possibly share it?

Post Thanks / Like

Escape in the sense that it was good and, by chance, it didn't contain any major offending substance (at least, for now). This excludes all chypres and jasmines, at least. Off the top of my head, in feminines, Shalimar - since ambers and vanilla are for now kosher. Not all flowers have been banned. Tuberose hasn't, for now, so Fracas is still going strong, and Arpege has changed, but not for IFRA, and it's still good. In terms of brands, Estee Lauder seems to have survived a little better, perhaps because their formulas were cheaper or more synthetic to start with, of perhaps because oakmoss is less central or can be substituted more easily in some of their stuff like Aromatics Elixir, Azuree, and the like.

I'd say that masculines have been less ravaged by restrictions, perhaps because they were cheaper to start with. Not that many of them haven't been reformulated, but not because of IFRA alone.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Escape in the sense that it was good and, by chance, it didn't contain any major offending substance (at least, for now). This excludes all chypres and jasmines, at least. Off the top of my head, in feminines, Shalimar - since ambers and vanilla are for now kosher. Not all flowers have been banned. Tuberose hasn't, for now, so Fracas is still going strong, and Arpege has changed, but not for IFRA, and it's still good. In terms of brands, Estee Lauder seems to have survived a little better, perhaps because their formulas were cheaper or more synthetic to start with, of perhaps because oakmoss is less central or can be substituted more easily in some of their stuff like Aromatics Elixir, Azuree, and the like.

I'd say that masculines have been less ravaged by restrictions, perhaps because they were cheaper to start with. Not that many of them haven't been reformulated, but not because of IFRA alone.

cacio
    Thank you Cacio for your great help in answering my question.
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    doubtful. all designers are members of the IFRA
    I would think so also.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this include Kerosene fragrances ?

Post Thanks / Like

Another quite similar question: have Knize fragrances, especially Ten, Forest and Ten Golden Edition somehow managed to escape?