Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is Chanel Sycomore still the same?

I also don't understand the praise. It's just vetiver with a tiny bit of sandalwood and miniscule amounts of other ingredients. I don't think it smells particularly smokey either.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Could you also please let us know the batch code of your bottle?

More batch info on this would be great and helpful on figuring out if there was really a reformulation.

Thanks
    Unfortunately my bottle is in Los Angeles, and I won't be back there for another couple months... but if the interest is still there, I'll post my batch number as soon as I get access to the bottle. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I also don't understand the praise. It's just vetiver with a tiny bit of sandalwood and miniscule amounts of other ingredients. I don't think it smells particularly smokey either.
    That's the magic of Sycomore. Some days it won't be smokey at all. But other days it will be dark & smokey as hell...
    Therefore one of the most interesting frags I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    That's the magic of Sycomore. Some days it won't be smokey at all. But other days it will be dark & smokey as hell...
    You get that dark, smoky side every time with Lalique Encre Noire. I'm torn between the two, because as much as I adore that darkness and mystery about EN, Sycomore is so gorgeously complex and rich...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    You get that dark, smoky side every time with Lalique Encre Noire. I'm torn between the two, because as much as I adore that darkness and mystery about EN, Sycomore is so gorgeously complex and rich...
    I own both and I prefer the diversity of Sycomore. I almost finished my 200ml bottle and will buy a fresh one right away. Encre Noir is already getting boring after the first 20ml I've used of my 100ml bottle. Don't think I'll ever finish that one.

It hasn't been reformulated.
    for swap/sale:

With all the recent IFRA regulations, fragrances are reformulated, thats a reality.

As for someone who actually owns both original (2008) and reformulated (2013) bottles, the two smell different -- the reformulated version has more of a gourmand vibe and doesn't have the smokey vetiver that the original has. So, I also believe that Sycomore has been reformulated.

As for someone who actually owns both original (2008) and reformulated (2013) bottles, the two smell different -- the reformulated version has more of a gourmand vibe and doesn't have the smokey vetiver that the original has. So, I also believe that Sycomore has been reformulated.
    +1
    100% agree. I also have 2 bottles and was sad that the smoky woods note was gone in the 2012 bottle I got.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    +1
    100% agree. I also have 2 bottles and was sad that the smoky woods note was gone in the 2012 bottle I got.
    Sorry to hear that, but not surprised.
    He boiled for our sins

There are two listings for Sycomore in the directory. Has anyone tried the vintage formulation - the one that was discontinued prior to the Les Exclusifs' launch in 2008? I'd love to be able to compare it to the current issue.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 14th May 2014 at 03:40 PM.

I think I read somewhere that the 1930 sycomore had nothing to do with the new one (not difficult to believe, since vetiver-centric scents didn't really exist back then, I think the Carven was the first one). The fact that it is never talked about leads me to assume that it was a minor frag, but that's just a guess.

cacio

That's sad to hear

It was one of the few vetiver scents that I enjoyed nearly as much as Encre Noire