Code of Conduct

Default Is Chanel Sycomore still the same?

Hi all!
    This is my first post after lurking around here for a long time. Been wanting to get my first fragrance and I'm very interested in getting the Sycomore. I tried a 1ml sample of it and it was gorgeous! However I'm just wondering, has it been reformulated since 2008? It would suck if I bought a bottle to find that it's different from what the majority of BNers found it to be.

Thanks for the help as I can't find any info online regarding this!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Chanel Sycomore still the same?

I sampled it in summer of 2012. I don't know what bottle it came from, but I really liked it.

There's no information that I am aware of to think it has changed.

Welcome!

Vetiver and woods have not been restricted, so Sycomore should still be the same.

cacio

As far as I know, it is the same.

treeman5823

I sampled it this year. Very good peanut-vetiver.

YES it has been reformulated , I have a bottle from 2009 and a bottle from 2012, the strong burning leaves note is no longer there and there is much more sandalwood. The difference was quite noticeable for me. The older formulation was a 10/10 the newer one 7/10. The vetiver is much more subdued I find.

I haven't noticed anything different.

Basenotes Plus

Reformulation? Dunno. But sampled recently from a new sample and it was still great.

Blog Entries

The lady working the Chanel counter told me it's the original formula; nothing has changed.

I need a sample of this
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    The lady working the Chanel counter told me it's the original formula; nothing has changed.
    sales reps will never say a fragrance has been reformulated, its a common industry practice.

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    SA's are told what to say, and are mushrooms, left in the cold and the dark, and fed _ _ _ _.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    SA's are told what to say, and are mushrooms, left in the cold and the dark, and fed _ _ _ _.
    That deserved the Oscar for this thread!
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    There's no information that I am aware of to think it has changed.
    Same here. What you should do is quite simple: if available at your city, go to a Chanel Boutique and test there​ the fragrance. Then, if you have your own retailer or you buy online, you will know. Thank you for the "alert", btw. And good luck!
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

Awesome! Thank you all for the great help! Still trying to feel my way around the world of fragrances just went on a sampling binge to find more!

Well I have 2 bottles of Sycomore , 2009 and 2012, the vetiver in the older formulation is very pronounced, like a pile of dry leaves burning, this softens after a few hours . In the 2012 bottle, the vetiver note is there but much less pronounced, that "burnt note" is no longer there, this was the best part of Sycomore. In the 2012 bottle , the vetiver seems to be drowned in sandalwood, to the point it reminded me a bit of Santal Blush. The sillage is less too, longevity remains the same though in both versions. Also the prices have gone up, a 75 ml bottle now costs 130 instead of 110 USD.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 16th February 2013 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Well I have 2 bottles of Sycomore , 2009 and 2012, the vetiver in the older formulation is very pronounced, like a pile of dry leaves burning, this softens after a few hours . In the 2012 bottle, the vetiver note is there but much less pronounced, that "burnt note" is no longer there, this was the best part of Sycomore. In the 2012 bottle , the vetiver seems to be drowned in sandalwood, to the point it reminded me a bit of Santal Blush. The sillage is less too, longevity remains the same though in both versions. Also the prices have gone up, a 75 ml bottle now costs 130 instead of 110 USD.
    Oh dear this is bad news. Normally when prices change it reflects a reformulation of sorts right? Like you, I love the burnt note of Sycomore. If that was gone or toned down too much then there's no point in me getting Sycomore anymore

I was actually going to buy a bottle at the Chanel boutique in NYC for my gf on Velentine's day, but read this thread and didn't feel like gambling on which formulation I'd get. Just got her Miss Dior Parfum at the Dior boutique next door instead.

Dude... Sycomore hasn't been reformulated!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I'd be astonished if Sycomore had been reformulated. I bought my bottle early in 2012, and the vetiver is right there, front and center. The smokiness has always been an accent, not a feature, of this composition. To me it's vetiver, black pepper, sandalwood, and a touch of smoke.

Well it is what it is, the 2009 bottle I have has an incredibly strong burnt smoky vetiver note, the bottle I got in the Summer last year, the vetiver is there but its toned down quite a bit in comparison. The very fact prices have gone up indicate reformulations have taken place, a common industry practice. Chanel is known for reformulating its fragrances quite frequently, I am not to surprised about it at all. Sycomore is still a great fragrance, but that masculine dirty burnt smoky element is no longer there.

Maybe it has and maybe it hasn't.

What key now is for you to try it. Head over to Marina Bay Sans Chanel boutique and try it.

If you like it, good. If not, seek out Fumidis. It's smokier.

for swap/sale:

I recently bought a decant of Sycomore from Surrender to Chance. I've given it 2 full wearings so far, and overall it is pretty weak compared to my decant from theperfumedcourt, that I purchase more than a year ago. I also do not get that smokey vetiver opening from my latest decant.

I bought my bottle in early 2012. Wore it again last week, so I have fresh impressions. It lasted all day easily, and was rich, smoky, woody, and wonderful the whole time. Completely beguiling. I have no complaints about this version, if it even is different from earlier bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I bought my bottle in early 2012. Wore it again last week, so I have fresh impressions. It lasted all day easily, and was rich, smoky, woody, and wonderful the whole time. Completely beguiling. I have no complaints about this version, if it even is different from earlier bottles.
    Could you please let us know what batch is your bottle?

I really want this. Sycomore and coromandel.

Quote Originally Posted by piscicida View Post
    Hi all!
    This is my first post after lurking around here for a long time. Been wanting to get my first fragrance and I'm very interested in getting the Sycomore. I tried a 1ml sample of it and it was gorgeous! However I'm just wondering, has it been reformulated since 2008? It would suck if I bought a bottle to find that it's different from what the majority of BNers found it to be.

Thanks for the help as I can't find any info online regarding this!

There's only one way to find out if it's the same as the sample you've got - if you live in Singapore you can quite easily try Sycomore (and the rest of the Les Exclusifs line) at Chanel Ion Orchard.

Interesting thread... got this last year, and although I loved the smell, it was so weak (on me and on my wife's skin), 4-5 hours longevity max... I was confused about all the praise this scent had received. Now it may be that we simply bought the reformulation and not the vintage... I see. Well for all of you who have the vintage, enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Interesting thread... got this last year, and although I loved the smell, it was so weak (on me and on my wife's skin), 4-5 hours longevity max... I was confused about all the praise this scent had received. Now it may be that we simply bought the reformulation and not the vintage... I see. Well for all of you who have the vintage, enjoy it!
    Could you also please let us know the batch code of your bottle?

More batch info on this would be great and helpful on figuring out if there was really a reformulation.

Thanks

I also don't understand the praise. It's just vetiver with a tiny bit of sandalwood and miniscule amounts of other ingredients. I don't think it smells particularly smokey either.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Could you also please let us know the batch code of your bottle?

More batch info on this would be great and helpful on figuring out if there was really a reformulation.

Thanks
    Unfortunately my bottle is in Los Angeles, and I won't be back there for another couple months... but if the interest is still there, I'll post my batch number as soon as I get access to the bottle. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I also don't understand the praise. It's just vetiver with a tiny bit of sandalwood and miniscule amounts of other ingredients. I don't think it smells particularly smokey either.
    That's the magic of Sycomore. Some days it won't be smokey at all. But other days it will be dark & smokey as hell...
    Therefore one of the most interesting frags I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    That's the magic of Sycomore. Some days it won't be smokey at all. But other days it will be dark & smokey as hell...
    You get that dark, smoky side every time with Lalique Encre Noire. I'm torn between the two, because as much as I adore that darkness and mystery about EN, Sycomore is so gorgeously complex and rich...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    You get that dark, smoky side every time with Lalique Encre Noire. I'm torn between the two, because as much as I adore that darkness and mystery about EN, Sycomore is so gorgeously complex and rich...
    I own both and I prefer the diversity of Sycomore. I almost finished my 200ml bottle and will buy a fresh one right away. Encre Noir is already getting boring after the first 20ml I've used of my 100ml bottle. Don't think I'll ever finish that one.

It hasn't been reformulated.

for swap/sale:

With all the recent IFRA regulations, fragrances are reformulated, thats a reality.

As for someone who actually owns both original (2008) and reformulated (2013) bottles, the two smell different -- the reformulated version has more of a gourmand vibe and doesn't have the smokey vetiver that the original has. So, I also believe that Sycomore has been reformulated.

As for someone who actually owns both original (2008) and reformulated (2013) bottles, the two smell different -- the reformulated version has more of a gourmand vibe and doesn't have the smokey vetiver that the original has. So, I also believe that Sycomore has been reformulated.
    +1
    100% agree. I also have 2 bottles and was sad that the smoky woods note was gone in the 2012 bottle I got.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    +1
    100% agree. I also have 2 bottles and was sad that the smoky woods note was gone in the 2012 bottle I got.
    Sorry to hear that, but not surprised.

There are two listings for Sycomore in the directory. Has anyone tried the vintage formulation - the one that was discontinued prior to the Les Exclusifs' launch in 2008? I'd love to be able to compare it to the current issue.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 14th May 2014 at 03:40 PM.

I think I read somewhere that the 1930 sycomore had nothing to do with the new one (not difficult to believe, since vetiver-centric scents didn't really exist back then, I think the Carven was the first one). The fact that it is never talked about leads me to assume that it was a minor frag, but that's just a guess.

cacio

That's sad to hear

It was one of the few vetiver scents that I enjoyed nearly as much as Encre Noire