Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default some rhetorical questions

If Encre Noir were in a white bottle and named "Green Forest", would it still be really dark?
    If Burberry London was in a black bottle, would it still be "fall in a bottle"?
    If La Nuit de L'Homme was in yellow bottle and named "day of the man" instead, would it be a night scent?
    If the Dreamer were named Versace Pour Homme II, would it still be a dreamy trance scent?
    If 1 Million and Le Male were in clear glass bottles, sold at Neiman Marcus only, and named "Paco Rabanne Gentleman" or "Gaultier's Specialty" would they still be trashy club scents?

Default Re: some rhetorical questions

I think 'yes' to all except ' The Dreamer' . I think it is a real waste of a good name.

I would also say "yes" to all except the one about "Dreamer" as the fragrance IMO isn't worthy of consideration.

Encre Noire would be called Winter Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I would also say "yes" to all except the one about "Dreamer" as the fragrance IMO isn't worthy of consideration.
    Very well said!
    And I should appreciate your novelty in thinking and proposing these NEW questions!
    Good thread will be...

-Dunno, I don't disagree with those seeing this as not terribly dark.
    -Dunno, I kinda thought it was Christmas in a bottle.
    -Dunno that one.
    -Dunno if I would ever agree that it's a 'dreamy trance scent', rather insufferable wet-dog open that lasts way long.
    -Yes, definitely!

Oh, I'm sorry... those were rhetorical! Nevermind then.

If a Metallica album came in a pink, flowery sleeve would it still contain old men's heavy rock?

Banned
    Blog Entries

it's easy to answer these questions in hindsight of course.

but i bet if you were to ask 50 basenoters and 50 non-basnoters what you think of these fragrances, i bet the non-basenoters description would be much different, as basenoters were spoiled with receiving knowledge of a fragrance beforehand and that affects their outcome.

it's similar to how iq tests with (spatial reasoning and logical sequitirs) aren't objective universal truth. they are peices of domain knowledge to be studied.

Not following.

But I once met a farmer on a beach in Jamaica who shared these words of wisdom:

Jus' wut is it wit da name, man?
    Dat which we all say is da rose,
    By any uda name mos def'nitely smells da same sweet.

I don't know why everyone is responding to this thread. They're all rhetorical questions!!

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    it's easy to answer these questions in hindsight of course.

but i bet if you were to ask 50 basenoters and 50 non-basnoters what you think of these fragrances, i bet the non-basenoters description would be much different, as basenoters were spoiled with receiving knowledge of a fragrance beforehand and that affects their outcome.
    You could do a survey in an art museum and ask people to look at a painting and have them describe what they see. The people who are art collectors will tell you something totally different from the person off the street that says "It looks like a dog."

People will listen and believe other people most of the time if they think they know what they're talking about. I try not to deal in absolutes. Probably 99% percent of most fragrances smell "good" anyway, but from there it's really how good. Then you have the "it smells just like fragrance XXX XXX" , or people give negative reviews because "it smells good, but" they don't think it's bottle worth which is even more subjective, and then you have the "professional" reviewers that make fragrances sound like it's playing a song, others just like it because it either smells good or bad (the typical non-basenoter) which really doesn't help. What I think separates fragrance lover's from normal noses is that out of all the thousands of fragrances on the market, we have the ability and knowledge base to fine tune what we like and find the needle (masterpiece for ourselves) in the haystack (the fragrance market).
    Last edited by silentrich; 14th February 2013 at 02:39 AM.

If Encre Noir were in a white bottle and named "Green Forest", would it still be really dark?
    No. I don't find it particularly dark at all. It's an excellent vetiver, but not very dark.

If Burberry London was in a black bottle, would it still be "fall in a bottle"?
    Yes. It smells like Christmas.

If La Nuit de L'Homme was in yellow bottle and named "day of the man" instead, would it be a night scent?
    Yes. Most guys in the real world (meaning, not guys in the fragrance community. I'm talking about the masses) don't realize Nuit means night. Nuit is just like any other foreign word to them. A friend of mine thought Nuit meant Nut, as in, he expected it to smell nutty. I suspect most guys don't intentionally buy La Nuit for nights. They buy it for wearing on a date, which means they end up wearing it mostly at night.

If the Dreamer were named Versace Pour Homme II, would it still be a dreamy trance scent?
    Yes. I never thought of it as a dreamy/trance scent, to be honest.

If 1 Million and Le Male were in clear glass bottles, sold at Neiman Marcus only, and named "Paco Rabanne Gentleman" or "Gaultier's Specialty" would they still be trashy club scents?
    I didn't realize Le Male was considered a trashy club scent.

As for 1 Million, I say yes. Absolutely yes. Consider CK One Shock. Poorly named, with a horrrrrrible bottle, yet well regarded here. The issue with 1 Million is the juice. Granted, the tacky bottle doesn't help, but the scent itself is very sweet and very loud. And, for Paco Rabanne, it is brilliant. Brilliant? Yes, brilliant. It's Paco Rabanne's way of getting young customers into their lineup. If I worked at Bvlgari, I'd do the same thing: create something hyper sweet and LOUD, and I'd put it in a bottle that speaks to upper teens and early 20s. A flask perhaps. Oh, wait. Gucci did exactly that with Guilty, and it turned into a monster hit.

I'll add one to this list: Would basenoters realize Bleu de Chanel isn't aquatic if it were named Chanel Blaq? LOL!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I'm taking the name of the thread seriously and thus do not answer the questions but rather say: I agree with your point.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 14th February 2013 at 12:35 PM.

dubbel
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 14th February 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Enjoy things for what they are and stop stressing about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Words of wisdom!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Not following.

But I once met a farmer on a beach in Jamaica who shared these words of wisdom:

Jus' wut is it wit da name, man?
    Dat which we all say is da rose,
    By any uda name mos def'nitely smells da same sweet.
    Are you sure he was a farmer?
    He sounds more like a poet or maybe a beach bum to me :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries

i'm not stressing, i'm just having fun. i like discussing these things for my enjoyment.

Basenotes Plus

was his name Willy Um Shackon-apier?
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home