Code of Conduct

Default Creed Royal Oud didn't like first try loved second try.

I sampled Creed Royal Oud about 8 months ago at Saks. I did not care for it a bit. Went back to Saks about 2 months ago trying other Creed's and the woman sprayed Royal Oud again. Now I really dig it; I have bought a 5ml and love it. Just might be a full bottle purchase in my near future. Anyone else have the same thing happen with Royal Oud or any other cologne?

Default Re: Creed Royal Oud didn't like first try loved second try.

Royal Oud was love at first smell.

I have been contemplating this one for a while, saw it for a good price on amazon (120ish) but just can't get around to buying it. It smells pleasant but that is just about it. For that price I can buy a Frapin 1270, Ambre 114 etc.

I remember trying it at Niemans and, to my surprise, liking it enough to get a sample. I actually forgot I had the sample for a week or so, but when I discovered it, I was intrigued with the smell. The sample is now empty, but I have a 15 ml decant of it that I recieved from a swap. Love it! May get a bottle at some point.

Had the same thing! I thought it would quickly bore me but I kept coming back to it and went through three samples over the past six months.
    Really grew on me, so I guess I need to get a bottle soon

A wonderful scent IMO. Glad I own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Demond Wilson View Post
    I sampled Creed Royal Oud about 8 months ago at Saks. I did not care for it a bit. Went back to Saks about 2 months ago trying other Creed's and the woman sprayed Royal Oud again. Now I really dig it; I have bought a 5ml and love it. Just might be a full bottle purchase in my near future. Anyone else have the same thing happen with Royal Oud or any other cologne?
    Yes, with Royal Oud as a fact. Bought it, meh, sold it. Now own it again and like it. Go figure.

What's the compliment factor like for you guys on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    None so far.

Full bottle worthy, easily. I am very fond of it. Get lots of compliments when I wear it. Women in my office love it. Highly recommended.

Maybe I'd best smell it again, since a few of you have warmed to it.
    I've tried it a few times and just didn't get the aoud I was after, and the opening smelled more than a little like sawdust to me.

i thought it was extremely forgettable when fist tested but it turned out to be pretty good after more testing. I have no clue where there get off putting oud in the name though.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

This is probably my favorite Creed. Bought a sample, sprayed, and without any hesitation I knew I had to have a bottle. I love this stuff!

Two strangers have complimented me so far. Actually, a woman that worked at Kiehl's said it smelled amazing.

Crazy! Wore to an event a few weeks ago. My fiance's friends were asking her what I was wearing? They loved it.

Glad you guys are warming up to one of my favorite Creeds! Almost a simplistic wood and spice scent that I love and the ladies love as well. By and far my biggest compliment getter, over Aventus and others.

Best Creed I've smelled. I laughed at it when I first sprayed it, as hednic said, it's rather inappropriately named, but after it sits for about 15 minutes it's just incredible. I love this stuff, and bought it after only smelling it once. Nothing flashy, nothing over the top, just perfectly blended, and about as smooth as anything I've ever smelled. I find few Creeds to be FBW for me, but this is definitely one I would recommend without hesitation.

I do like it but have never felt compelled to purchase. I have only ever smelled one small spray on my forearm but this thread has me thinking that I should revisit my sample with a full wearing.

Yup. Got a sample, tried it a couple of times, hated it (boring!), then gave the sample away to a friend. The experience kept lingering in my mind, so I sweet talked the sales assistant out of another sample. I couldn't get enough of it, so bought a bottle the next week. Love it (subtle sophistication!).

My only criticism: the name. The oud is certainly there, but is not really prominent enough to be featured on the label.

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddee View Post
    I couldn't get enough of it, so bought a bottle the next week. Love it (subtle sophistication!).

My only criticism: the name. The oud is certainly there, but is not really prominent enough to be featured on the label.
    Agree. I think it's the marketing that failed this one a bit. A friend of mine said he believed it would have been more aptly named "Royal Spice", and with that people might not be as disillusioned when they smell it. For me, I was ready to dismiss it right off of the bat, because it didn't deliver what the name promised (and when it does, it's quite minute), and there's nothing that distinct about it, if you will, but what it does have going on is just perfect. I think the way you termed it "subtle sophistication" is a very good description of it.
    Last edited by Partario; 13th February 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Great scent IMO, screams class and sophistication. One of the longest lasting creeds on my skin, I can sometimes smell it the next day.

One of the only Creeds I still have yet to try!
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Love at first sniff for me.

Took me a while to come around to this one. Long story short, I received my bottle yesterday. Happy as a Lark.

It's a really smooth, sleeper-like scent. It does not come on strong like Creed Original Santal. There are no sharp edges to Royal Oud. It's just sweet, warm and spicy. I like both, but if I had to choose I'd take Original Santal. OS just has a more overt presence, where RO is so discreet. Both are welcome in my wardrobe anytime. RO is like a church/work/suit scent, where OS is a ballgame/movies/shopping scent. Both are great date scents!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    It's a really smooth, sleeper-like scent. It does not come on strong like Creed Original Santal. There are no sharp edges to Royal Oud. It's just sweet, warm and spicy. I like both, but if I had to choose I'd take Original Santal. OS just has a more overt presence, where RO is so discreet. Both are welcome in my wardrobe anytime. RO is like a church/work/suit scent, where OS is a ballgame/movies/shopping scent. Both are great date scents!
    I would have to agree, I am an OS fan as well. I cant really stand Creed, to be honest, and only like a few of their offerings. Totally agree that OS is more casual and RO is more formal.

Basenotes Plus

I did like it a whole lot more upon second wearing, but I'd rather buy something else.

i noticed this one sits kind of close to the skin on me..lasts a good while but doesn't really project too well. I also think i can go a bit heavier with the sprays, i have done 2-3 tops.

i noticed this one sits kind of close to the skin on me..lasts a good while but doesn't really project too well. I also think i can go a bit heavier with the sprays, i have done 2-3 tops.
    I wore 4 today and that seems perfect.

Cool Re: Creed Royal Oud didn't like first try loved second try.

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddee View Post
    Yup. Got a sample, tried it a couple of times, hated it (boring!), then gave the sample away to a friend. The experience kept lingering in my mind, so I sweet talked the sales assistant out of another sample. I couldn't get enough of it, so bought a bottle the next week. Love it (subtle sophistication!).

To be honest I'm not sure what Oud smells like I just liked Royal Oud and did not know it did not smell like oud until I checked it out her at Basenotes. What does oud smell like anyway? What would be a really good oud scent to try? Thanks

To be honest I'm not sure what Oud smells like I just liked Royal Oud and did not know it did not smell like oud until I checked it out her at Basenotes. What does oud smell like anyway? What would be a really good oud scent to try? Thanks
    Depends on the Oud I suppose. Montale delivers a pretty sharp medicinal synthetic oud (though don't let this throw you, as it's good stuff), and I would say try out Dark Aoud for something spicy or Black Aoud if you're after a darker rose scent. It's in some designer offerings such as M7, Noir de Noir, and Oud Wood though not as prominent. Le Labo's Oud 27 delivers a more realistic (though some would say stinky) sort of oud, as does Xerjoff's Zafar (along with other variations in their Oud Stars collection).

You could also always go for the straight up real oud, but that stuff costs $$$.

Basenotes Institution

When the Basenotes, as a group, were in New Orleans at the Saks the SA's gave us a gift bag and inside was a sample of RO. Honestly, I haven't worn it since then. It's been in my sample pile but I never get around to wearing it.

I love spicy scents. Maybe I'll wear it tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Real oud/aoud oil smells like Band-Aids, wood chips, resins, animals, etc...it's hard to describe.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

One of the few Creed's I don't care for because it reminds me of Himalaya which also isn't another one of my favorite Creed's.

My wife loved it on me when I got home yesterday. She had to know what it was. 4 sprays carried me through the day in good shape.

Basenotes Junkie

Huge compliment-giver, actually, by both male and females for me. I suspect it's what I've had the most positive feedback on.

And I love it. Its presence is so damn big, it's elegant yet ballsy and just damn good. It's somehow what I wanted from Original Tabarome, but got from Royal Oud. Strange. Oh, and the oud is not loud and annoying, but smooth, subdued and residues in the background the whole time. LOVE IT!

"It's somehow what I wanted from Original Tabarome, but got from Royal Oud."

My thoughts too!

Basenotes Institution

I wore this again today, first time I gave it a full wearing. Gosh, it's wonderful. I really really enjoyed it. I love spicy scents so I'm a sucker for a well done one. This is everything that I wanted Spicebomb to be - creamy, almost like something edible, strongly spiced with just a slice of 'clean' oud humming in the background. Not an oud scent, per se, but oud-esque like the Byredo's and By Kilians and Maison Francis Kurkdjian's.

Wish it was more affordable, if it was I could see owning a bottle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore this again today, first time I gave it a full wearing. Gosh, it's wonderful. I really really enjoyed it. I love spicy scents so I'm a sucker for a well done one. This is everything that I wanted Spicebomb to be - creamy, almost like something edible, strongly spiced with just a slice of 'clean' oud humming in the background. Not an oud scent, per se, but oud-esque like the Byredo's and By Kilians and Maison Francis Kurkdjian's.

Wish it was more affordable, if it was I could see owning a bottle.
    I agree with everything you've said and I'm ecstatic that you love this one. It's one of my most cherished Creeds and most special among my collection. FBW for me and I can't see being without it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Mike...you can find it on Amazon for $120 shipped. Definitely worth picking up a bottle at that price.

Banned

I get a lot of burned smoked wood from this. Do you guys get the same notes?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I agree with everything you've said and I'm ecstatic that you love this one. It's one of my most cherished Creeds and most special among my collection. FBW for me and I can't see being without it.
    Oh my freaking gosh...tumblr_m36b9lwNDk1rsdigyo1_1280.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    Why the facepalm??
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

It's a nice scent, but it didn't wow me the couple of times I tried it. I'll give it a full wear tomorrow and see if my opinion has changed...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Last edited by acjigga; 20th March 2013 at 01:26 AM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

The scent is too light and I dint detect much oud. It didnt impress at me first try. Nice scent

i did not detect much if any oud either

- - - Updated - - -

it does smell very warm and round if i remember correctly
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

. . . oh boo hoo, it doesn't smell like oud. . . that's what the women who complimented me on it said. . . yes, they were really concerned about that. Me too.

It's really good stuff, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I find few Creeds to be FBW for me, but this is definitely one I would recommend without hesitation.
    I thought the right acronym was FWB, rather?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    . . . oh boo hoo, it doesn't smell like oud. . . that's what the women who complimented me on it said. . . yes, they were really concerned about that. Me too.

It's really good stuff, actually.
    Now that's funny. I agree. Smells great.

One of my favorite oud takes (even though doesn't smell like oud). I just love the wood chip like smell

I own a FB, but the oud is sawdust variety, and weak. It isn't indicative of an Oud frag, and has only fair longevity. It's dry-down is why I own it...and only b/c I got a really good deal on a tester bottle...it isn't worth what Creed charges for it.

Basenotes Member

Tested this at work, for an oud fragrance, i'd like to smell oud. However, it smells incredible though it dries down smelling like something familiar. Could not stop getting whiffs off one spray, longevity was ridiculous on my skin. Unfortunately the price tag for 75 ml is just a BIT much.... No doubt i'll end up with a bottle sooner or later.

Royal Oud is actually the first Creed scent I ever liked. Loved in fact, at a point when none of the other Creeds appealed to me. I remember I kept going back to test over and over again and was totally smitten by the scent but ultimately I let it go because it didn't last long enough on my skin and I thought it was too expensive. Once it dries down it's super smooth and alluring...wish it lasted longer/projected more on me.

Had to finally buy the bottle today