Code of Conduct

Thread: Selling

Default Selling

Although I have spent considerable time (and $!) playing around with formulas, my true interest is in sales and marketing (and I have come to accept that I don't have a great nose, although it has improved); however, I find all of the regulations relating to the sale and marketing of fragrance a little deterring.

So I'm looking for some sort of workaround. Is the easiest answer to just dilute fragrance oil and sell that formulation?

Obviously this will not appeal to more sophisticated noses, but aside from massive capital outlay, is there another realistic option that covers off the liability issues around compliance?

Default Re: Selling

Yes there is: if what you want to do is sell and market fragrance rather than design or make it, then I'd recommend you talk to one of the manufacturers and have them make fragrance for you either to your brief or many have off-the-shelf offerings that they will be prepared to sell you. That way all the responsibility for compliance falls to them and you don't have to get to grips with the regulations relating to manufacture, only those relating to sales.

The big players like IFF, Givaudan and Firmenich are probably not going to be interested in working with a start-up but there are bound to be smaller players in your locality who will - this side of the pond there are quite a few, including me, so I imagine there will be lots in the US (I'm assuming US as you said $, but of course that could be wrong . . .).
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Default Re: Selling

Thanks Chris, if not for the Atlantic, I'd be calling...

I'm in Canada... that being said, if anyone has recommendations (Canada or U.S.), I'd be very grateful!