Code of Conduct

Default SotD Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Good morning all,

Jicky Extrait and the snow has so far missed us by not many miles further east. No complaint here!
    Bear hug for Mike and everybody else, who wants one!

Have a good day!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SotD Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Mornings everybody!

Mona di Orio Lux for today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Morning all, l'll take one of those hugs, please.

lt's going to be a difficult day; l'll explain later, but l'm wearing a couple of discreet sprays from my sample of lncense Extreme today, for comfort.

Hugs all round from me too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Good luck with everything teardrop!

I'm doing some last minute chores before flying for a very long time to reach Vietnam.

M Micallef Note Vanillee today. Glorious.

Post Thanks / Like

Morning All,

((teardrop))
    Have fun on your hols, scentsucker ! Wish I were off to Vietnam today.

Bois des Iles.

Best to everyone.

Ps. What the heck, I'll take a bear-hug from L.

Post Thanks / Like

What I've Been Wearing:

Post Thanks / Like

Comparing this in its vintage form to it's 2003 version.
    Homework for Perfumed Lady's aldehyde pass. Such hard work!

It's DIVA time! Chanel 1932!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Scooch over, Larimar, I'll never turn down a bear hug (((((BNers))))). Teardrop, we got you right in the middle of it xxoo

Thanks to a generous friend I am testing The Vagabond Prince Enchanted Forest today. I love it. I get a delightful mix of sweet, juicy blackcurrant and incensey, aromatic fir resins.

Notes include pink pepper, aldehydes, sweet orange, flower cassis, blackcurrant leaf, hawthorn, effects of rum and wine, rosemary, davana, blackcurrant buds absolute, CO2 blackcurrant, Russian coriander seed, honeysuckle, rose, carnation, vetiver, opoponax, Siam benzoin, amber, oakmoss, fir balsam absolute, patchouli, castoreum, cedar notes, vanilla, musk

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Caron Nuit de Noel. Well it's St Valentine's eve - much the same...
    Assiduosity is The Perfumed Dandy, get to know him better at http://theperfumeddandy.com/

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all !. Brief flit in and out - snowed under (work, not weather). Have one on me too (((teardrop)))

Enjoy your holiday, Scentsucker.

SotD is Bois 1920 Extreme.

Back to spend more quality time with you quality folk later
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 13th February 2013 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SotD - Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain (from yuyu15's sample, thanks!)

Charriol Homme Sport by Charriol

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning. Another couple of inches of snow expected today.

I'd love a bear hug, thank you, Larimar! It will help me get through this crazy week.

(((Teardrop)))

Have a safe trip Scentsucker!

Tdem, let us know how the Enchanted Forest works for you, it sounds interesting!

SotD is Guerlain Oriental Brulant.

Have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone! Such a lovely thread yesterday. I only have time lately to log on about once a day and catch up, so I didn't have a chance to comment til now. Just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate your thoughtfulness, interesting and informative comments, and just general fun. I love this forum, and you all are the reason why. Bear hugs all around!

Scent for the day is Traversee du Bosphore. Goes well over the remnants of my Taste of Heaven from last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: SotD Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

L'Instant de Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Honore des Pres Vamp A NY
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Aziyade this morning!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

More hugs for teardrop and anyone needing them today!

SotD is Brin de Réglisse, from a sample.

Daughter is once again home as the town is still clearing streets for school buses to get through. I may venture out to do some grocery shopping later. The above-freezing temps are melting some of the snow, which does help a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Datura Blanche today, a little oversprayed, felt sorry for the people in the elevator with me but my co-worker is off today so it has some time to settle, nobody is sitting nearby. I love this smell but haven't quite figured out the dosage, still.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone!

Whew ...well that was fun, but thank goodness it's over, lol! Tony's already talking about how he might be wanting to get out of town for Mardi Gras 2014, but I'll bet he changes his mind as it gets closer.

I'm back in Chanel for ballet, No5, 70s parfum and edc. Y'all have a wonderful day!

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Evangeline, I love the photo! Do you have special plans for Mardi Gras?
    We don't "mask" (masquerade) but we eat, drink and dance along with the rest of the revelers! After yesterday's parades, we just had a few friends over for cocktails and enjoyed the rest of it from the balcony ...close enough to enjoy, far enough to tune it out when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    A pen pal of mine from LA will be there to see something called the Krewe of Muses (?). Apperently they throw decorated shoes from a float. Mind your head if you're around.
    Muses is amazing - one of my very favorite parades, and krewes. It was last week, and no, I didn't get one of those highly-coveted bedazzled shoes this time (hmph!) but Tony got two last year on account of bein' so cute, and he let me have one of his. But they don't just chuck these precious prizes from the floats, hehe - they're delivered directly into the grasping hands of the lucky recipients. The Krewe of Zulu has been doing this for years but with decorated coconuts - real ones - and they did originally throw them! That had to stop, for obvious reasons.

(((teardrop)))
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Did someone say bear hugs?

Woke up very tired (no reason...I got 7-8 hours sleep), so I stopped off for some coffee @ Starbucks before I headed into work to treat myself. Have you all tasted their new Vanilla Spice Latte? I swear when you lift the lid off and start drinking it, I get a whiff of Guerlinade. No lie. It's like drinking Vol de Nuit. I know that sounds gross but it really is nice.

I have training on my new Web Host (for company's email hosting switch) this morning - via teleconference. Exciting stuff, ladies and gentleman. Can't you tell I'm thrilled? ((sigh))

I am testing a house I haven't really ventured that much into:

Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale (first time from a sample)

Not bad. Nice sharp, resinous woods, with that whiff of turpentine that I like. But this stuff is very subtle, and I applied almost 1/2 a ml and sprayed it on rather than dabbing it. I like it but I didn't expect it to be this quiet.

Didn't this win some Basenotes award one year (can't remember?)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the hugs everyone, bless you all.

l don't usually share much here, & l didn't want to put a downer on this thread so early in the day, but... This morning my bf & l went to a funeral for the stillborn baby of his very best friend. lndescribably painful, but it was a beautiful service, & there was so much love amidst the tears.

We all went to the pub & had too much to drink afterwards, & l never usually get drunk in the middle of the day. lt's freezing cold & sleeting outside, so now l'm home to get warm & maybe take a nap.

As we said yesterday, basenotes is really about so much more than just perfume. lt takes me a while to open up to people, even those l see every day, but l'm getting there now with you guys. l'm often the quiet one in the corner of the bar, but l'm always listening, & always thankful that you're there. Sorry l'm a bit tired & emotional...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Montale ~ White Musk

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Teardrop, what an an emotionally draining day. It must have been truly harrowing for everyone, and your support will have meant a great deal. I think you are entitled to let yourself go a little - no apologies necessary here.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mirroring all the affection that lit up yester's thread. ExtremeK, I especially loved what you said and how you said it about Twitter, Facebook, et al.

Teardrop, that push you feel is me sending support for whatever you're sure to conquer.

Lucasai, what a wonderful photo!

tdem, is there much sweetness in TVPEF? I love cassis, but any scent that's tart just turns sour/bitter on me.

Lilybelle, I can just imagine your relief/disappointment stew. C'est la vie, non?

Sapfir, in sampling Shalimar edc vnt, I discovered the smokey note that, while it might be entertaining to wear from time to time, I couldn't see me wearing it on a regular basis like other Shalimars. As Mike suggests, I could imagine eventually being inspired to own more than one incarnation of Shalimar. Will write more on the S subject when the new bottle is in house.

Mike, Karan's Essence Jasmine is the best IMO. I gave away my sample to Matildaben when she was on a jasmine hunt, but I do not forget how that juice sings. Really interesting about the Vol de Starbucks.

The sun is shining and I could throw over the February calendar page and convince myself it's March 13 with spring just around the corner. Using Lucy B. Pink Frangipani to pull myself ahead in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Lucasai, what a wonderful photo!
    Isn't it? I found this picturesque pearl online

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l'm often the quiet one in the corner of the bar, but l'm always listening, & always thankful that you're there. Sorry l'm a bit tired & emotional...
    We cry together.
    Hugging you like you wouldn't believe.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sad, teardrop! But you went, and were there for him and his wife-- that is the important thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon.

Hoping that the mutual hugs exchange will work- I offer mine, too.

I'm in an old love of mine, L'Eau D'ambre by L'Artisan, so luminous and transparent, so gentle compared to the richer ambers I've worn the previous days (thanks, snow!).

I'm discovering how much my highly scientific comparison method allows me to perceive differences and nuances and styles in perfumes.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

G, I hope there were no adverse effects from your bar stool tumble last night.

Have a fabulous time on your vacation, Scentsucker!

30Roses, I'm wishing for temperatures in the 50s/60s for you so that some of that snow melts. That was an incredible amount of snow. Wow!

Larimar, I'll take a bear hug and give you one right back!

Mike, I very nearly ordered a vanilla spice latte at S'Bucks on Saturday. Now I'll definitely try it!

(((((Teardrop))))), I am so, so sorry. My deepest condolences to your friends. I can't begin to comprehend the pain of losing a child, but, having lost my father, I know that the love and support of good friends like you helped me immensely. And thank you for honoring us with your trust.

Piguet Visa today.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

ExtremeK, I especially loved what you said and how you said it about Twitter, Facebook, et al.
    Ditto - I agreed with every word .

Snow flurries outside again here but I care not a jot, as I am now enveloped in the opulent warm blanket that is VC&A Bois D'Iris.

Post Thanks / Like

(((((teardrop))))), I can't even begin to imagine how painful your day must have been. I hope you're resting well as I write this.

Safe and happy travels to you, Scentsucker!

Mike, I am most definitely going to order one of those. Today! Can't wait.

I'm headed down to my former town of residence, Santa Barbara, today for a wee bit of shopping and a couple errands. I can't say I miss very much about the town, but it sure is a gorgeous place to visit. I'm wearing Guerlain Angelique Noire. I think it might even "go" with that vanilla spice latte!
    Have a great day, all!

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Teardrop, what an an emotionally draining day.
    Oh yes! I'm sorry, teardrop! You deserve a little goodnight treat today.

I just love your bear hug phrase, Mike! It feels so warm-hearted.

Blowing snow here, but much less than feared.

Pour le Jeune Homme tonight - for the homme that is not terribly 'jeune' anymore. At least I got the accumulated wisdom and laissez-faire attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Sapfir, in sampling Shalimar edc vnt, I discovered the smokey note that, while it might be entertaining to wear from time to time, I couldn't see me wearing it on a regular basis like other Shalimars. As Mike suggests, I could imagine eventually being inspired to own more than one incarnation of Shalimar. Will write more on the S subject when the new bottle is in house.
    I see. I have edc 40y.o. and love it, but considering now to buy one more but different age and concentration (difficult to choose). Hope you get your Precious soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Teardrop, I'm so sorry. What a painful day...

((((teardrop)))) So sorry, love. Sending jasmine scented hugs your way.

The vanilla spice latte? Meh, I was kinda disappointed, was hoping for a little more spice? Thought it was plain. But may have to get another to see if there is a touch of Guerlain-aide in there! I am still bummed about their limited edition blueberry frap that never came back. That was some good stuff!
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Mirroring all the affection that lit up yester's thread. ExtremeK, I especially loved what you said and how you said it about Twitter, Facebook, et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Ditto - I agreed with every word .
    Thanks, Quarry. I was wishing I had expressed it as well as you did. You've got flair, sister!

Thanks, Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Good Evening,

Sending comforting thoughts your way, Teardrop.
    Evangeline - I could make some terrible joke about coconuts and Mardi Gras floats, but I'll spare everyone my puerile humour. How funny though your Tony got 2 shoes from the Muses ! One day, I'll have to make it over to NOLA for the party.
    ExtremeK - I'm quite practiced at falling off bar stools

Mouchoir de Monsieur tonight.

Best to all.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Back home from a work trip to Idaho. I'm way more jet-lagged than I should be ... at least that is my excuse! I'm wearing Un Bois Vanille for the comfort factor.

Hugs to all (but especially Teardrop) ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks each & every one of you for your kind words & hugs, they mean so much.

l had a nap & something to eat, & l feel a little better now. Wearing Samsara, the scent that always grounds & centres me after a stressful day. lt truly is amazing, the power that fragrance can have.

(((((Hugs back atcha)))))

Oh, people. You guys are wonderful. I'm sitting in the corner with teardrop, cause we are alike, and we don't have to say anything except just watch. And sit together. And try not to fall off the stool

Chanel 1932 with lucasai, who entertains me many a day.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    30Roses, I'm wishing for temperatures in the 50s/60s for you so that some of that snow melts. That was an incredible amount of snow. Wow!
    It's melting, and a good thing too, because we are getting another 1-3" tonight and they are keeping an eye on a major storm that is offshore, possible hit over the weekend.

Daughter's school is closed for the rest of the week. They're going to take days from their April vacation to compensate.

Good to hear, Teardrop. Samsara is a great scent.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Lilybelle, I can just imagine your relief/disappointment stew. C'est la vie, non?
    Oui, Madame, c'est la vie.

I'm wearing Jean Nate dusting powder today with a spritz of Shalimar Eau Legere from an old decant, and it has been half annoying me, half fascinating me. I think I've figured it out: it smells a bit like baby oil in the drydown, once the citrussy part has mostly departed. It smells a bit medicinal, too. It smells good, actually, but not the way I want perfume to smell on me. This version was discontinued a long time ago.

Assiduosity, I just looked at your blog and favorited it. I'll enjoy reading your reviews.

That dusting powder, lilybelle, pretty lemony? Haven't smelled JN in ages.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey y'all -

I'm now in L'Heure Bleue for the evening, vintage-80s parfum.

Here's another hug, ((teardrop)) ...that's just so sad. You and your friends have my deepest sympathies.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Wearing Genvieve and hoping for another bottle soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    That dusting powder, lilybelle, pretty lemony? Haven't smelled JN in ages.
    Yes, it's pretty lemony and sweetly floral, but in an old fashioned way. It smells like the concentrated cologne (discontinued, alas!).

Teardrop, I'm so sorry to read your sad news. My sympathies to you and your friends.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Teardrop, that's so sad, you have my deepest sympathies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Evangeline - I could make some terrible joke about coconuts and Mardi Gras floats, but I'll spare everyone my puerile humour. How funny though your Tony got 2 shoes from the Muses ! One day, I'll have to make it over to NOLA for the party.
    You definitely should ...no doubt you'd be goin' home with a couple of fancy shoes, too!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like so much fun, E. Too much fun, and I'm definitely getting too old for too much fun, but what a way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

(((teardrop)))

You're all lovely today, just like always! BN is up to its usual tricks, asking me if I want to leave the page. But its people are still the finest!

No.5 EDT earlier today, inspired by one of its newest fans in the aldehydic pass. Now am sampling Bellodgia, have not smelled it ever and-get this-it's an old Caron sample. I can see from the packaging that this is before the apparently destructive reformulation. So yes, it's beautiful, probably the most accurate carnation I've smelled, with none of my unwanted notes; perfection. But how sad will I be when I try the new formulation?
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Bear hugs to teardrop, hoping that you know your presence for your two friends was very much appreciated, as painful as it was to be there.

Afternoon in a sample, from sweet ol' Foustie ((bear hug to you too sista')) of:

Djhenne by Parfumerie Generale

Wow, this one is unique. The lavender is not medicinal at all, it's sweet (like some men's aftershave) but then the cocoa and wheat and leather come swooping in and it get's all crazy. I need to explore this one again soon. Like it was mentioned on another thread, the base notes of this one are fantastic! Really nice.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous subdued plumminess of Natori today.

Everybody is correct -- BNers -- not BN -- got me through many difficult days in the last six years. Hugs all around. We filed taxes, with the "fiscal cliff" stuff there are a few new regulations so we are expecting a refund in the next three to four weeks (used to be like 10 days). Mr.T bought me a 0 calorie soda pop and I sent him back to the gas station to exchange it for regular, he told them girls "My wife is not going to lose any of her voluptiousness" and made girls laugh. We are getting it back, little by little. Thanks to all for the positive vibes.

Lol @ the diet soda! Haha, those do taste so awful! Oh, so that's why taxes are taking forever? Good to know!

Hugs to everyone.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

{{{{{{{teardrop}}}}}}}} & the family who lost the wee one. It just isn't fair. So difficult to understand the why's of this.

P4085835.jpg

sotd is l'artisan la chasse aux papillons extreme
    Last edited by RHM; 14th February 2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: deleted duplicate posr

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Twolf, that is good news!