Code of Conduct

Default When's the best time for Route du Vetiver ?

I moved a bookcase and found a *sample vial I *lost a month ago. *It was still 3/4 full. *Tried it on and remembered why I didn't order a full bottle.

Where and when would I wear this?

Still, *it is-- for lack of a better word, a remarkable fragrance. *

Especially if you've been bored by bland acquas and such.

Being honest with myself I would have to say 3 hours after applying first--Does it *ever 'calm down' ? Are there 'precious woods' and other notes I can get to smell after a time, *besides the big V?

Then when I find Guerlian too cheery and third to freak out the Yatagan (and Bandit, Kourus, Quorum ,et al) users.

I love Guerlian but if I'm in a bummed *out mood, *it's the last one I'd reach for. *I have L'Occitane as a back up, *though I'd like to hear of a still darker, more brooding vetiver.

Yatagan is a lightweight compared to the pungency of RdV

This is another controversial scent that has a small and fanatical following. * I can't make up my mind to love it or hate it, *I'm inclined towards the latter but perhaps that's simply because I can't figure out

WHEN AND WHERE WOULD I WEAR THIS?

How about you?

Thanks in advance,

Mario. 8-)

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: When's the best time for Route du Vetiver ?

awesome frag. i wear it in the summer. it smells like camping or a walk in the woods, so it works better in a non-urban environment.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

The mother of all vetiver scents. Singular and uncompromising in its statement.

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962
    The mother of all vetiver scents.
    The grandmother. 'Hellooo dear children, it's sooo good to see you again! Would you like some blackcurrant lemonade?'
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Hi MJ,

Let me sum it up this way...come this FALL, I am going buy ONE expensive bottle of Cologne to add to my collection, it will be MPG "ROUTE DU VETIVER!".
    Living in Maine (where the Summers are VERY short lived and the Fall and Winter looong) the bulk of my collection are STRONG fragrances. Last season, I had a decant of RdV and...I just could not get ENOUGH of RdV! I LOVE it! RdV is without a doubt one of my TOP TEN fragrances! In fact, it's in my TOP FIVE. Sadly,I am veeery low on my (other) SPECIAL favorite MPG "EAU DES ILES" . Truthfully, I find RdV is a fragrance I can wear much more often whereas the EdI is more for SPECIAL occations. I sure do hope to find a decant of EdI before Fall. Both of the MPG's I mentioned are HIGHLY recommened by SixCats!

Regards,
    SixCats!

I think its a little bit too earthy for many of the population. Give me Original Vetiver or Guerlain Vetiver anytime !
    -

My opinion is that it is an abomination. Please keep it away from me.

Mario, thanks for letting us check more than one boxes--so many of them apply with this masterpiece of a scent.

I'm so proud when I wear RdV. When I do I look at people I'm talking to and wonder if they can smell it. I alsways hope they do because if they smell it the joke is on them somehow. I don't even know how that thought works or how I even connect the idea of smell me and the joke is on you. No logic there at all, but that's how my mind works when I'm wearing this stuff. Just plain kick ass. I have four bottles. None are for sale or swap. Twenty-four hour odor from only a couple sprays too. Ain't no nicey-nicey either.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

In all occasions to be proud and tryumphal about my manliness
    Vetiver The Great!!!

It was pretty scary at first and it took some getting used to, but I've really come to love Route du Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    My opinion is that it is an abomination. *Please keep it away from me. * *
    And also the children. *Please also keep it away from the children.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    My opinion is that it is an abomination. Please keep it away from me.
    I think it can even qualify to be ten bominations. ;D
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

-when you're culling sasquatch
    -attending an ent moot
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

I like most masculine MPG"s,(Santal Noble is still one of my n.1 scents) except this one . Horrible stuff. It's not refined, it just smells of rotten leaves. Only Swampthing can pull this off . No serious, I don't even hate Vetiver notes in a scent, but this is where I draw the line. You might just pull a root out of the ground and rub yourself with it. Like stated earlier, only for the die hard vetiver fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Joe Junkpan
    -when you're culling sasquatch
    -attending an ent moot
    Think of how happy life would be if you could read something this funny just once a day.
    Thank you Hobo Joe!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Some scents are meant to be strictly sampled. Can't imagine why anyone would want to wear this in public places.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

i was thinking that perhaps there is a difference in frame of reference for this frag. i've heard some ppl refer to it as "rotting vegetation". to me, it smells completely natural. it smells like the woods and fields of my youth. i admit there is a "bug spray" thing going on, but even that smells very familiar and friendly to me. i wonder, how many of you grew up in the countryside or woods and hate this frag. i could be way off. just curious.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    i was thinking that perhaps there is a difference in frame of reference for this frag. *i've heard some ppl refer to it as "rotting vegetation". *to me, it smells completely natural. *it smells like the woods and fields of my youth. *i admit there is a "bug spray" thing going on, but even that smells very familiar and friendly to me. *i wonder, how many of you grew up in the countryside or woods and hate this frag. *i could be way off. *just curious.

I grew up partly in the country and partly in the suburbs of a large city. *I like the smells of the country and country-fresh air and fresh vegetation, but I don't like rotting vegetation. *Imagine a large pile of leaves and dirt that have been sitting in a pile for at least a couple of months, and then imagine removing the top layers of the pile so that the wet rotting leaves and dirt at the bottom of the pile are exposed to the air. *That rotting vegetation smell is what MPG Route du Vétiver reminds me of.

Or imagine a large piece of plywood that has been laid flat on the ground for a few months. *All of the living vegetation around the plywood smells of nature and life that has been thriving in the sunshine and the fresh air. *Now imagine lifting up the plywood to expose the ground beneath that has been denied fresh air and sunlight for a long period of time -- that smell also reminds me of MPG Route du Vétiver. *It is the smell of decay and life denied. *It is not a pleasant fragrance, IMO. *However, I don't notice "bug spray".

Anyway, I do know that different people have different reactions to fragrances, and different preferences and likes and dislikes. *In my wardrobe, for example, there are probably a lot of fragrances that other Basenoters dislike. To each his own!

I am trying to resurrect this thread because I would like your opinion all you Route du Vetiver lovers. I bought a sample on the intrnet and was completely amazed by the power and originality of this perfume. I bought a bottle from the same site only to find out that it simply wasn't the same. i searched a bit around here and found about the formula change. Luckily the people from the site sent me what was left of the sample bottle (a good 3/4) at no charge, but I am going to miss this. Do you know if there is any way to find the old formulation (apart from a swap)? Or any other fragrance that has this dirt effect?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

_____ O'Clock. Just fill in a time.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Never

Anytime.

Seeing as this thread has been dug up after a long time, I'll chip in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Imagine a large pile of leaves and dirt that have been sitting in a pile for at least a couple of months, and then imagine removing the top layers of the pile so that the wet rotting leaves and dirt at the bottom of the pile are exposed to the air. *That rotting vegetation smell is what MPG Route du Vétiver reminds me of.

Or imagine a large piece of plywood that has been laid flat on the ground for a few months. *All of the living vegetation around the plywood smells of nature and life that has been thriving in the sunshine and the fresh air. *Now imagine lifting up the plywood to expose the ground beneath that has been denied fresh air and sunlight for a long period of time -- that smell also reminds me of MPG Route du Vétiver. *It is the smell of decay and life denied. *
    I know, marvellous, isn't it? I keep meaning to review it but I'm nervous of not being able to do it justice. Some day soon...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Anytime.
    Absolutely!

All day every day, 24/7/365 days a year! Great stuff, and Im still holding out for a vintage bottle.