Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default how many shirts should have a man have?

it depends on occupation and lifestyle, but i like to have a variety.

some short-sleeves, some long-sleeves, some t-shirts, some polos, some sweaters, some collareds, and some dress shirts. so, ideally, i would have at least 40 shirts because i do like diversity and versatility. some guys have over 100 and they're happy with it and some people only have 20, but quality matters no less than quantity.

Default Re: how many shirts should have a man have?

As many as he wants and can afford IMO.

Basenotes Member

You are right noirdrakkar! The better-off the man is the more clothing he has. Although a man has limited sets of clothing but it must undergo interchangeability by simply well put together so the observer cannot notice he is just wearing same garments. Of course all clothing on the wardrobe must fit so that it can be worn as he wanted. Classic colors, styles and patterns are a must as well. A man must choose the appropriate colors that will compliment to his complexion. And of course quality must be chosen instead of quantity.

So far, a few to several more tens (at most, a bit under 100) shirts were pretty much enough for me. Most if them dress shirts and/or long sleeved, but also a quite fair share of short sleeved ones.

How many shirts should a man have?

If he is working 5 days a week, then he should at a minimum have 7 long sleeve dress shirts. 5 white dress shirts for work, 1 white dress shirt for formal night attire that is not worn to work, and 1 light blue dress shirt. This should cover a man for most any work related situation and night time function, and not have the man worry about doing laundry more than once a week.

A bottle of shout stain spray is needed for white dress shirt collars.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

As many as his wardrobe can comfortably accommodate. Variety is fine but as you get older you'll realise a few well tailored shirts in classic style and color is all a man needs.

A man should have enough shirts and starch to be able to build a house solely out of his starched and molded shirts for he and his family in an emergency situation, whilst still having ample supply of shirts and starch to comfortably sail through the work week.

Sail through the work week, meaning enough shirts and starch to build a sail boat out of starched shirts in case of an emergency flood situation whilst still having enough shirts and starch to serve as his wardrobe for a full work week.

When I say enough shirts and starch to serve as his wardrobe for the week, I mean enough shirts and starch to build a fully functional wardrobe...
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Typically speaking, I'm partial to the idea that you have as many shirts as you need, and that you wear over the course of a calendar year. If you've not worn a shirt in a year, you can probably donate/toss/sell it, with some rare exceptions.

This might change based on laundry preferences (and that may change on your income).

Basenotes Member

Hmm… I think, it doesn't matter how many as long they feel comfortable and they're happy wearing it.
    www.luvessentials.com

Comfort is the key, I have about 10-15 formal & 20-30 semi-formal / casual...