Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default how many shoes should a man have?

if a man had over 20 shoes, some would say that's too many and only a woman should own that many, but that's the same with fragrances. so it doesn't matter what they think. if a guy wants to have 40 shoes, i think that's cool.

then again it is quality over quantity. i'd rather have 1 $250 pair of shoes that look great, feel comfortable, get compliments, last over 10 years, than 10 shoes that I don't like very much.

for me, ideally, i like to have around 16 shoes.

2 athletic shoes for running, training and sports
    2 dress shoes for formal events (like weddings or dinner parties)
    4 shoes for work, and visiting clients
    2 shoes for nice restaurants and nights out at the city
    4 casual shoes (for daytime, grocery shopping, laundromat, etc.)
    2 winter shoes, boots, for snowy weather (since i live in the north)

what about you?

Default Re: how many shoes should a man have?

I probably also have around 16-20. But, unlike you, I don't distinguish so much work, clients, and evening, and (in the summer) casual shoes. I do however want to have a few both light summery, and heavy wintery (ie I don't mean winter shoes, but nice, semiformal shoes that have nonetheless a thicker sole and are made of heavier materials). Also a mix of black and browns, plus some summer mocassins or the like in light colors (I live in a relatively warm weather).

cacio

As many as he likes.

If I wore shoes more often I'd have plenty more.

for swap/sale:

About 10-20 pairs of formal and semi-formal shoes, about 4-6 pairs of casual/sport ones, 2-3 pairs of winter shoes are more than enough to me- considering my current schedule and habits.

I'd say at very least 2 (or a pair as they say in the shops)

Banned
    Blog Entries

i have about 25.

As many as he feels he needs and can afford.

I have bout 28 pairs. Just like cologne sometimes I can't decide what to wear

10 pairs...

the elements of a gentleman’s wardrobe.
    1. HandmadeBrogues : The Shoes Women Love to See Men In
    wearing brown brogues with dress pants or jeans
    2. Tassel loafers work great with just about any outfit
    from casual to something that you would wear on a special occasion (think wedding).
    3. Be Different with Monk Strap Shoes
    wear double monk-strap shoes with jeans, khakis or chinos.

2-3 for sports
    2-4 for work
    2-4 for formal wear
    2-4 for casual wear

Excluding sandals for beachwear, 8-15 pairs sound about right. The more you have to rotate from the longer they last.

Holy crap! I've just counted and I've got 20 pairs of shoes! That feels like way too many to me. I kind of feel guilty.

That number includes my beat up lawn mowing shoes, flip flops, mountaineering boots, and hiking boots though, in addition to my dress shoes, casual shoes, and sneakers. I guess if I count my rock climbing shoes the total is 22 pairs. Crazy!
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

As many as he wants! For the last few weeks I've worked with a dude who has the most fabulous shoe collection! I love coming into work and seeing what he's sporting for the day.

Hah, noir, you're so concerned with figuring out what all men should do, you must lose sight of the fact that there is no rule. It all completely depends on a person's profession and social context.

Not just profession and social environment. Creativity, goals, priorities, morals, preconceptions, superficiality, self-esteem, and many other traits hold influence.

Do what you know is right down deep, even if it's inconvenient, and you will be the man you want to be. Like right now. I should be doing something more productive than hanging out on-line, so I'll man up. Ta-ta.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

I probably have about 15 pairs or so, but I don't really count. I also don't really advertise how many I have, as some people do think men shouldn't have that many. I prefer to let my shoes do their own "talking" to people who take notice that I may have a variety of cool shoes I rotate through.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    As many as he likes.

If I wore shoes more often I'd have plenty more.
    Agree, hedonist.

As many as a man likes. No rules.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

No boundaries - it's all down to individual preference as desired or required.

Basenotes Member

No rules, except to buy quality. There is a massive shortage of premium grade leathers and I predict a huge increase in prices in the next couple of years. My two boys have the same shoe size as me and my "collection" will be passed down to them. Lets not forget that quality lasts (excuse the pun) and never really goes out of fashion.

A man can never have enough shoes, it's pretty much all we have that is interesting when it comes to men's fashion. Your shoes decide how well your outfit is presented and as far as quality over quantity is concerned you can't just go by price since not all expensive brands actually know how to construct or design a proper quality shoe. I use to collect/resell shoe/sneakers and at peak i had in my personal collection to wear 200+ sneaker/shoes and for resale never more than 300 pairs in stock(work with a group of guys). I long stopped collecting and the resale market has dried up now i'm down to 47 pairs of sneaker, 32 pairs of boots, 29 shoes from brands like Grenson, churchs, eastland, florsheim, Y-3, RL, Alfred Sargent, alden, edward green, mark mcnairy, riders, quoddy, bb black sheep and many more not in front of me right now. More than half my collection is deadstock 80% worn less than 4 times and my 10 pairs that are in the everyday rotation consist of clark desert boot, gorilla desert boot, ralph lauren hiking boot, Y-3 honja low, warrior slip on, asics trainers, grenson stanley, grenson fergus, mark mcnairy double monk straps, and my nike trainers. only downside to having so much is storage space and worrying negligent bastards here in nyc don't step on an ruin lovely patina on a pair not in the regular rotation.

- - - Boss - - -

- - - Status - - -

Quote Originally Posted by misterhyde View Post
    No rules, except to buy quality. There is a massive shortage of premium grade leathers and I predict a huge increase in prices in the next couple of years. My two boys have the same shoe size as me and my "collection" will be passed down to them. Lets not forget that quality lasts (excuse the pun) and never really goes out of fashion.

you are so correct; the last quality from new models even from grenson has hit an all time low i really hope things take an up turn if not i really don't know how i'm going to support my footwear disorder... wait i'll buy fragrances to heal the void.
    Last edited by rtmworld; 6th March 2013 at 02:31 AM.

Basenotes Member

They are only going to bet more expensive. At least there in the States you have shell cordovan readily to hand, which for my personal taste, would nearly suffice. Redundancy has hit, and if truth be known, I'll never have a well paid job again. I'm not an old man but neither am I young and therefore in the world of commerce and finance I'm a Dinosaur. Harsh but true I'm afraid, however due to my addictive personality I can honestly say that over the years I have collected the "best" that my pocket would allow, and whats more, I'm still enjoying them today. As already mentioned, quality will last and shine through. My shoes aren't going anywhere, nor are my watches, nor my rather nice collection of Italian Studio Pottery. So there you are, I don't smoke drink or gamble, have never really gone without anything, but have saved to buy the special things which I still get pleasure from today. This new "illness" of fragrances is great. It's complex but at the same time simple (you smell, you like, you dislike) and not too expensive. I'm enjoying the new ride so far and especially this very friendly forum.

It seems even shoes suffer from 'reformulation' as production relocates to low cost centers and product lifespan grows shorter. Always buy quality and if they come in your preferred classic style that will never go out of style, buy a pair of backups.

Blog Entries

every person has their own needs
    if you live in really cold weathered regions you probably need at least one pair of snow shoes
    my "need to have" shoes are the bicycling shoes that clip onto my pedals but I can also walk in when not on bike.
    I also have the sandal type which is a must for beach dress-up events
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

I have only about 12 pairs, not including sandals. But I am not against having more. I think you shoud have at least two running/walking sport shoes, two shoes for work (black and brown), two very formal shoes (black and brown), two casual leather shoes (brown), one leather boot for winter, plus one sports sandal. That makes ten.

I have about 35 pairs of shoes. There are still a few I'd like to complete my wardrobe.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    every person has their own needs
    Especially when you're a UK size 12 (US: 13 / EU: 47).

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

As many as he can afford. Stay away from black and concentrate on different shades of brown.

Basenotes Member

I'd say you can never have too many!

I think 3 pairs of shoes is good.

I work with minimums only...
    A gut should always have:
    1 pair of outdoor boots, weather ready
    1 pair black dress
    1 pair black casual
    1 pair tennis
    I have, 1 pair boots, 1 pair black casual, 3 pair tennis.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I have just 5 pairs of shoes.

I have 8 pairs of shoes and basically use always the same 2. I have another 3-4 pairs buried somewhere in the closet.

This said, it's obviously a matter of style, age, needs. Young sneaker-fans will need 300 pairs of shoes to comply with fashion trends and to spot some "cool" stuff at the club. I barely go out for a walk to my tailor, to the library, to the hairdresser, or for a stroll in the park, so my 8 pairs are even too much for me - 4 are black, 4 are brown, some are suede, some are buckled... these can go with hundreds of outfits.
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 17th March 2014 at 12:11 PM.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

I have a whole crate of shoes , half I never wear . It really depends on how much you are willing to invest . The problem with men's shoes is that they tend to be more expensive than womans so many times a man only has 1/5th of what his female counter-part has . My best gf has over 300 while I may have close to 40-50.

Two pairs of dress shoes. .. one black and one brown. Also two pair of running/workout sneakers.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

U have too many shoes!As a woman, I don't have so many shoes
    Life is but a dream, as we are all but actors and actresses in this melodrama we call life.

Basenotes Plus

I think this really depends on the type of work a man does, and the nature of his social life. I can really wear whatever I wish to work, and Doc Martens are my standard, for comfort and support as much as for style.

2 pairs standard black DMs
    1 pair DM wingtips
    1 red pair DMs
    1 pair funcky peach DMs
    2 pair formal dress shows (Kenneth Cole), one brown and one black
    2 pairs of athletic shoes

So, look like 9 for me, and that covers all I need.

Yeah, 20 pairs are way too many. I have 3 pair now, though I need more.

It depends on how many feet he has.

No maximum if it pleases you. However, bear in mind we are so lucky to have even one pair. Find a tramp or a charity shop and donate a pair you don't need any more. Share the love, share the shoes

Two pairs of Bass shoes. ..one black and one brown. Just make sure my belt matches the shoe color.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by marais View Post
    it depends on how many feet he has.
    lol!
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Well... a have a problem with shoes, in fact, two. One, it seems that they last half a century on my feet, and, two, my feet are quite small. Once a selaswoman told me to go and get the last children's number at M&S. Not only that, she came back later with another woman. Perhaps they've never seen a man wearing 6,5 before. So, I have many ...

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    No maximum if it pleases you. However, bear in mind we are so lucky to have even one pair. Find a tramp or a charity shop and donate a pair you don't need any more. Share the love, share the shoes

I have over 35 or so pairs of shoes - but I don't wear most of them. Medical people told me to go buy good shoes, and explained the characteristics to look out for. Basically, when the toe part is pressed back, good shoes don't bend from the halfway mark, but from under the ball of the foot mark.

Unfortunately the very good shoes cost around $150 to $300 a pair. So, when I saw Rockport shoes going for $80 instead of $300, I bought 3 pairs. Same with Florsheims. Then, when I saw Niblicks going for $20, $40 or $50 instead $140 or $150, I bought 8 or so pairs.

Then when I saw assorted runners and casual shoes which met the medical criteria going for $10 or $15 at one store's sell out, I bought another 20 or so pairs. At that price, I can afford to actually test and discard shoes that I don't like the feel of after a couple of days. And some which I wound up not liking for casual use, turned out excellent for work use around my big backyard.

I have three slip-on walking shoes specifically for use when on long flights to Europe. And over in Europe I ran into a snag with my Niblicks, they were a bit wide and it's easy to press on the accelerator while braking in their smaller cars. So I've mainly been using Florsheim walkers over there.

Hush Puppy walkers that cost around $120 I used and liked, but for some reason, they kept going quite smelly on me. I threw them out, and haven't bought any since.

I've given away about 15 pairs of shoes that I wound up not liking, about half from before I got the medical advice, and half from the later purchases.

The moral of this sad tale of mine - while you are young you can get away with wearing either average cheap or expensive shoes that look quite classy, but aren't actually very good for your feet. But as you get older, it catches up with you.
    Regards,
    Renato

As far as dress shoes are concerned, one doesn't need more than 3 or 4 pair at a minimum, but they must be high quality calf leather or shell cordovan. English shoes are among the best, then Italian. The only real good American shoes are Alden and Allen Edmunds. I probably have about 20 or more pairs of shoes, including sneakers. My dress shoes are Alden, Edward Green, Church's, Foster & Son, Sutor Mantellassi, Fratelli Rosseti, etc.

Own about 40. No limit IMO.

How many pairs of underwear and socks should a man have?

Like, honestly... we may as well ask how many spare toothbrushes and sticks of deodorant should a man have... lol

One actual pair of shoes, the ones I wear for work, and they are Chelsea boots anyway. A pair of brogue boots for winter, a pair of Timberland boots for when the weather is really bad, desert boots for nights out spring summer and autumn, and about 15 pairs of trainers, mostly adidas.

Apart from work I wear jeans all the time, trainers look much better for the establishments I drink in

Take your age, divide by two, then add seven.

Bingo!

Or . . . as many as you like.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Well it doesn't matter. I do have only three shoes. One formal, one casual and the other one for training

Quote Originally Posted by charlespe View Post
    Well it doesn't matter. I do have only three shoes. One formal, one casual and the other one for training
    Glad to see that the one-legged feel welcome here {awaits anti-unileggist reactionary protestations}.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Bingo!

Hot damn, that actually works!

I was going to say that I think for most guys all in all around 15-20 would be a good overall well rounded wardrobe and somewhere around 25-30 there are probably some bad buys or ones that get neglected in there etc
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    As many as he feels he needs and can afford.
    +1. That said 90% of the time I'm wearing Birkenstocks. I need to get out more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

Bingo!

Or . . . as many as you like.
    Actually I like this better, it gives me an excuse for a pair of Edward Green monk straps.

I'd say as many as you like.

If you like to be practical and savings-savvy then less is more but always keep one or 2 pairs more than the absolute minimum required for your personal needs in case of "accidents".

As many as he wants!!