Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dependent

Default Re: how many shoes should a man have?

The clothes make the man, I have over 40 pairs.

I have around 20 pairs, but it's mostly because I like to have different colors. For example I have brown, grey, black and black/brown boots. Same with belts, I like to have different colors :P

I discovered that when I had just a few pairs I had an easier time deciding what to wear. Same with fragrances. Sometimes I wish I could go back to when everything was so simple.

All in all I think I have appr. 20 pairs. With cars, tractors and bicycles I believe that the correct number is n+1, with shoes I think less would actually suffice

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Stetson by Stetson

Three pairs, at the very least. IMHO, a man should have, at the minimum of two pairs of dress shoes...one in black and one in a shade of brown. And then a pair of shoes for activities (skeakers, etc). I would think a normal guy would have well over three pairs of shoes though. Most guys have more then one pair of sneakers, one or more pairs of boots, one or more pairs of casual shoes (beach shoes, etc). So no, I don't think it is odd that a guy could have twenty or more pairs of shoes.

As much as you need
    I have about 10 pairs might be a bit much but they each have a purpose

2...one black one brown, but of high quality.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

I have 34 pairs now. I stop buying 2 weeks ago .

I think a man should have minimum 10 shoes.

It all depends. I think I have a dozen. At the least probably 3 dress shoes for work, 1 athletic, 1 leather casual, 1 casual sneaker, 1 pair of boots, and 1 sandals. If you have extra money go for more!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

my bf has about 17.

Oh, I love shoes very much! I think it is more important to wear more expensive shoes than clothes as if you have an expensive beautiful dress and some cheap not good shoes you will spoil the whole image and if vice versa, the great shoes are able to make a simple dress look better. As for m I have about 25. However, my husband has only 4, one pair for each season and he thinks this is enough).
    Don't get sunburnt this summer! Read my article how to get rid of sunburn in my blog ambrossimo

I'd like a pair of monk strap dress shoes, but my wife HATES them. So...

^
    Sorry to say this mate, but I'm with your wife on this

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Stetson by Stetson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Trail View Post
    ^
    Sorry to say this mate, but I'm with your wife on this

-Mark
    You guys win! I'll probably get a nice pair of dressy penny loafers. I have plenty of lace ups.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    You guys win! I'll probably get a nice pair of dressy penny loafers. I have plenty of lace ups.
    Meh! Monk shoes win over penny loafers for me, big time.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Meh! Monk shoes win over penny loafers for me, big time.
    I like you Colin, but if Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

I have 2 pairs of shoes. A pair used to go to work. A pair used to hang out. I think that is enough.

Nonsense! You HAVE to have both! Double monk-straps in brown calf, and penny loafers in sand/tan suede. I find the loafers less successful dress choice, more casual...

1 pair dress shoes
    1 pair sneakers/running shoes (they can be super cheap, doesn't matter)
    2-3 pairs of everyday shoes (converses etc). If you have an office job or something, then less of these shoes and more dress shoes.

It all depends on your life. If you are a construction worker, then you probably need more boots than dress shoes. But for the average man, 4-5 pairs of shoes is plenty.

You shouldn't feel like you need material items to make you happy. You could buy the whole world and still not be happy. Focus on more meaningful things. Material items are not what defines a person.

Upstate NY where "pants" are always optional

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    As many as he can afford. Stay away from black and concentrate on different shades of brown.
    Black shoes are for weddings/funerals say a lot of in the know Italian fashionistas. Always pay attention when an Italian talks about shoes.

Brown shoes is where men show off their elite status from the sheep. Most men are confused & frightened by brown shoes, but of course we walk heroically forward in them.

Oxblood red is where the Alpha male truly peacocks.

Blue shoes is only for the most daring of demi-gods or Elvis. Be Elvis if you can.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Always pay attention when an Italian talks about shoes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'd like a pair of monk strap dress shoes, but my wife HATES them. So...
    I love these ones, classic, elegant!
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Dependent
    Blog Entries

32 to 40.

I've just gotten into shoe and am still expanding, but I've set my limit for future purchases to 2-3 of each below for rotation:

1. Oxford
    2. Double monk
    3. loafers with lether sole and heel
    4. Driver loafers (Not the one with nubs sole, I hate those. You can't walk in them and they last 3 months)
    5. Nike, Adidas,...

Though I have one, I don't like derby, so I'll go with dressy looking loafers with leather sole instead.
    As for colors, black, burgundy, and oxblood.

Does anyone know what brands have shoes color equivalent to Allen Edmonds merlot? They stopped making that color for their main line.
    Last edited by Michael293; 30th January 2017 at 10:24 AM.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Haven't seen the merlot by Allen Edmonds, but if you're looking for something which is wine/burgundy you should look into Gucci(2015 collection), Salvatore Ferragamo(2011 collection), Ermenegildo Zegna(2015 collection) and possibly Brioni. Was shopping for a pair of leather gloves at Bottega Veneta so made a stop at the Brioni boutique right next door a few weeks ago and I did notice a pair of"merlot-esque"/wine-colored gloves, so they should(technically) have a corresponding shoe. Not sure though, but might be worth a shot. Good luck!
    Last edited by Paul H; 31st January 2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Haven't ever seen Allen Edmonds so might not be of any help here.

Depends..what kind of work you do? i have 2 sneakers, 2 pair brogue shoes.. and 2 pair of boots. I usually go for Santoni, cesare paciotti, Magnani... but around 4/5 is enough.
    Currently in my collection:
    Creed: Aventus, OS, OV, HM, MI, VIW, GIT.
    Mancera: Kumkat Wood and Cedrat Boise
    Designers: YSL Kouros, Givenchy Xeryus and Acqua di gio profumo.

Shoes are fun. I was giving a cigar buddy a hard time about how he's always buying boxes and boxes of cigars, and how I wish I had that kind of money to throw around. He pointed out that I keep buying boots that are $200-$300, and he has 1 pair of work shoes, and 1 pair of flip flops. Touché.

I have several pair of shoes. A few decent Allen Edmonds, but mostly boots. Redwing Heritage, Wolverine 1000 mile, etc. Day to day, I grab Red Wing Chelseas, and if I'm going to fly I take my Red Wing Chukkas. Ironically I bought the chelseas for faster trips through TSA, but now that I have pre-check, they set off the alarm, so I go for the lace up boots. I very rarely have the need to wear anything other than those 2, but the others are still nice to have around.

Also, in regards to an earlier point on black shoes-I have exactly 0 pairs in black. Browns and reds for me!

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
    Ironically I bought the chelseas for faster trips through TSA, but now that I have pre-check, they set off the alarm...
    Red Wing Chelseas have a 270 degree Goodyear welt. You might want to investigate into getting a full 360 degrees Goodyear welted Chelseas, as they sometimes (many times) eliminate the need for using a shank (stabilizing piece of metal (carbon, plastic, but mostly metal) that connects the sole with the midsection of the shoe, or just ask the company before buying, what kind of shank they use in the shoe...

more info here:
    http://www.alanmurray.org.uk/miscell...-construction/

When I reach a certain number of whatever it is I stop counting. Less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Magnus View Post
    Red Wing Chelseas have a 270 degree Goodyear welt. You might want to investigate into getting a full 360 degrees Goodyear welted Chelseas, as they sometimes (many times) eliminate the need for using a shank (stabilizing piece of metal (carbon, plastic, but mostly metal) that connects the sole with the midsection of the shoe, or just ask the company before buying, what kind of shank they use in the shoe...
    That's good to know! At the time I still had to take them off for metal detectors, so the Chelsea part was more important than the shank. I actually bought that pair blind, online, since I had several pairs of redwings. I think they are my most comfortable pair...

Can something with 270* goodyear still be resoled?