Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: how many shoes should a man have?

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
    Can something with 270* goodyear still be resoled?
    Yes, just as well.

The 270* welt needs nails in the heelbed to keep the heel attached, so it has a leather insert over the heelbed (inside of the shoe) to cover/hide the nail heads. 360* has flat undisturbed leather insole. Also, the stability of the stitch on the 360* allows for the lack of shank, as it makes for a sturdier connection to the sole, but not all manufacturers will omit it from the construction.

I appreciate/prefer the 270* (Wolverine 1000 mile, ex.) more than the 360* welt because the heel area is more slender and the whole shoe looks less "chunky", especially on dress boots...

- - - Updated - - -

I actually bought that pair blind, online...
    Aah, the joy of buying shoes online... Over the holidays, I returned 2 pairs of Frye boots, 3 pairs of Chippewa's and 1 pair of Clarks, just to keep one of each at the end...

Hah! These have been great for me. Luckily the fit was the same as the other Redwings. I do have a pair of Chippewa Steel Toe, but I honestly can't recall where they are. Which Clarks? I tried the dessert boots but didn't get the hype behind them.

My big 'mistake' with shoes was buying some AE boots from their big sale, and the boots didn't fit like the shoes do (different last, I guess) and I never managed to return them ) =

how many shoes should a man have?

As many as he wants--in my case, lots. Just take care of them--that is all I ask (yes, I am talking shoe trees and regular polishing). They will repay you with years of service.
    Striving still to Truth unknown

Which Clarks? I tried the dessert boots but didn't get the hype behind them.

My big 'mistake' with shoes was buying some AE boots from their big sale, and the boots didn't fit like the shoes do (different last, I guess) and I never managed to return them ) =
    The Bushacre 2 Desert Boot from Clarks, indeed. You have to wear it a bit to appreciate the design. There is no midsole, just the upper stitched to the leather insole, and glued to the sole. The crepe soles on the original Bushacres are great looking and extremely comfortable, but they get really dirty and ugly in short amount of time. I got the updated version, with some sort of rubber sole, still very comfortable...

Yes, AE has many different lasts, you have to know yours. The AE's you got should be very salable second hand, try eBay...

Preferably you should not wear a pair of shoes two days in a row so they can totally dry out (using shoe trees is essential). Personally, I have 5 pairs that I consistently wear to work, but I would consider 3 my minimum. I would begin with a pair of black cap toes, brown cap toes, and one more pair of your choosing.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by carrierbagsforsale View Post
    Preferably you should not wear a pair of shoes two days in a row so they can totally dry out (using shoe trees is essential).
    Agree with this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I am up to 45 pairs as of today

I'm getting obsessed by shoes. Bought me two pair of boots, one of sport sneakers and one of slip-ons. I need to get a break.

When I was younger I used to have more shoes when I went through my "sneaker-head" phase. Nowadays I have 3 pairs I actually wear.

That said, I don't think you can judge a man by the number of shoes he wears. Circumstances sometimes dictate what we can and can't do and there are a ton of things more important than worrying about how many shoes you have to wear - assuming you have at least 1 good pair.

Maybe 7-8 pair of shoes would be more than enough yeah?

I personally have 8 pairs of shoes, dress, casual , loafers, most of the time I go crazy for the moccasins here is my weakness

Most of the mens like more and more shoes which suits with their personality, they love shoes and wallets to wear with new trends design.

Basenotes Plus

2 pairs sneakers.
    2 pairs dress shoes.
    1 pair hiking boots.
    1 pair wrap around sandals (like Teva).
    1 pair slippers.

This will cover anything.
    Veni, Vidi, Ego Emit.
    ( I came, I saw, I purchased. )