Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default What men shouldn't do

One thing that looks really silly is when a man is wearing a polo-shirt or a short sleeve shirt, and they remove the top one or two buttons and their chest hair is showing. This is more akin to a 70's adult film star than a modern masculine gentleman.

Either button it up or wear an undershirt, IMHO.

Feel free to add to the list.

Default Re: What men shouldn't do

Agree that chest hair shouldn't show in normal situations (in a bar, it's up to the intended prey - but I'm not sure it'll work there either, unless we're talking about those bars where one wears not polo shirts but leather harnesses).

I don't like undershirts that show, however. So the solution is to button up enough. (And shave one's chest, though in any case showing significant amounts of chest, even if shaved, doesn't seem gentlemanly).

cacio

Edit: I meant to say wax, not shave.

Socks color that don't match the shoe or the pants the very least if dressed formally.

for swap/sale:

To test this theory one can compare furry, vintage Bond to reformulated, smooth Bond.
    http://thestylecache.files.wordpress...hirt.jpg?w=589

Don't see anything wrong with chest hair protruding from a shirt.

It depends whether you are on the beach or in the office and how hairy you are. Sometimes it's nice and sometimes it's not. If a chap is fully covered then there is little choice and it is fine.

What men shouldn't do is:-

Wear white socks with unsuitable sandals.
    Comb the remaining few long hairs over the pate to join the short ones the other side and stick them down with grease.
    Not deal with dandruff.
    Smell unwashed.
    Have filthy fingernails or bitten ones.
    Be unkind.

(These apply to women too)

PS. I like the hairy James Bond best....

I don't think short sleeve shirts look right if they're buttoned all the way up, and I never like undershirts to show. I always use v-necks.

Here are a few:

Never wear
    a tie with short sleeves
    Capri pants
    a fanny pack
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What on earth is a fanny pack? Or shouldn't I ask?

Sorry - I should have realized that would sound very wrong in the UK. "Bum bag" is the term, I believe.

Very funny though.... like calling trousers pants.

What men look really nice in is a freshly laundered, ironed, crisp white shirt, not too tight with a smart pair of ironed trousers, a smart blazer with a beautiful hanky, some traditional brogues and smelling subtly wonderful but not too strong. Groomed well, standing up straight and polite. This makes any man, whatever his visage, look fantastic.

There are pro's and cons to every detail we might do...But we can't make a generalised "this is the way" list...

I have abt 15-20 union staff working under me and irrespective of my dress code, employees under me KNOW that I'm in control, neither do I boss around, nor do I baby sit (not that they are superb employees) - I earned their respect which is how I feel a man should be (learnt these from my boss - i wasn't born this way)...Dress, hair and everything else come next.

That said...

Belt buckles not sitting right and the belt missing a loop on the pant - both suck & girls notice these immediately...

+1 Hednic - I also don't see anything wrong with chest hair protruding from a shirt.

I too see nothing wrong per se with hair protruding from a shirt - what I don't like is shirts unbuttoned beyond two (or maybe three depending on the shirt and the season) buttons, and this is regardless of whether what meets the eye is a hairy or non-hairy chest.

No-no: Shirts/tees that don't cover a (big) belly all the way. Its not nice to sit in the subway and have someone standing next to you sticking their hairy belly in your face.

I'm not a fan of socks in sandals either...

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Very funny though.... like calling trousers pants.

What men look really nice in is a freshly laundered, ironed, crisp white shirt, not too tight with a smart pair of ironed trousers, a smart blazer with a beautiful hanky, some traditional brogues and smelling subtly wonderful but not too strong. Groomed well, standing up straight and polite. This makes any man, whatever his visage, look fantastic.
    You can't go wrong that way.

A few on hairy matters. Don't:

...let your mustache grow over your upper lip. Where your upper lip starts, your mustache should end. Trim it regularly.

...think that having a beard requires paying less attention to facial hair. On the contrary. A beard needs grooming, ideally daily, to look good.

...think that no one will notice those hairs growing out of your nose.

...think that eyebrows need no care. As we age, there's a tendency for men to develop long, unruly eyebrow hairs.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Jacket, shirt and tie twinned with jeans. Probably wearing GIT also.

A man shouldn't wear squared toe shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Jacket, shirt and tie twinned with jeans. Probably wearing GIT also.
    Agree. But I really like the look of jeans+ tee or shirt and jacket, though it has to be the done well...not just any old jacket or jeans (I'm not referring to it being the right brand or anything silly like that, just that it has to be done with style).
    Last edited by Plaisir; 18th February 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Don't see anything wrong with chest hair protruding from a shirt.
    Me neither. And no man of mine should ever wax his chest.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Comb the remaining few long hairs over the pate to join the short ones the other side and stick them down with grease.
    So true. Is this desperation? I mean, it's one of the very rare advantages men have over women, that they do look great going bald at the temples, being half-bald, three-quarter bald, or simply bald. There is absolutely no need to trying to hide this! But the remaining hair should be kept short.

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    A few on hairy matters. Don't:

...let your mustache grow over your upper lip. Where your upper lip starts, your mustache should end. Trim it regularly.

...think that having a beard requires paying less attention to facial hair. On the contrary. A beard needs grooming, ideally daily, to look good.
    As wearing a beard became a fashionista statement during the past years, these are some really useful advices, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    ...think that no one will notice those hairs growing out of your nose.

...think that eyebrows need no care. As we age, there's a tendency for men to develop long, unruly eyebrow hairs.
    Additionally I want to highlight on those hairs growing out of men's ears, too.
    Last edited by Graphite; 19th February 2013 at 08:13 AM.

More hairy treats:-

... the footballers mullet hairstyle.... no, no and double no from me. If you are devastatingly handsome then you may get away with it, but otherwise get the long bits cut off.

... the dangling lonely plait or long trailing bit of wispy hair that you forgot to plait, at the back, unless you are seriously trendy everywhere else with your dressing.

Long hair is only beautiful on a man if it is cared for, styled and conditioned. Older men in a long grey pigtail and a casual suit can look fantastic if the hair is glossy and fulsome. Probably helps to be slim and tall for this look.

I was just watching the By Kilian Garden of Good and Evil set, you know where he's in the chair with the snake? He had about 3 buttons undone on his shirt, but he had clearly waxed/shaved and it looks fine.

I think when chest hair is coming out, it's a no-no. If you're waxed or shaved then you're good to go.

Completely in agreement with the square toe shoes, short sleeve shirts (especially with a tie) and wearing sandals and socks. Nobody should ever wear sandals and socks, for me, this has to be the biggest fashion faux pas.

In addition to those;

-I also think matching colours looks terrible if they are a slightly different shade.

- Wearing too much of the same colour. For example purple trousers and a purple shirt, or a purple shirt and a purple cardigan.

-Croakies? (I think that's what they're called) The sunglasses accessory that's a strap joining the arms of the glasses so you can wear them round your neck? They're a big no-no.

I don't think men should wear flip-flops with jeans tattered at the hem and dragging. A more slovenly look cannot be imagined.

Hideous!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Remember, proper FIT is the first rule in fashion.

No

No

No

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    Remember, proper FIT is the first rule in fashion.

No

No

No
    I agree and disagree. Proper fit is important but what is seen as proper fit depends.

Looking at the photos you posted I would say 1 and 3 are fine if you like that style (I personally don't). Nr 2 is not terribly flattering but again, it's a casual style.

If the style is less casual and more tailored one wouldn't go for any of the three looks above, and the perception of fit would be different. Oversized or undersized would not work, and a good cut would be more important.
    In my mind a coat that is obviously good quality and well made sitting on someone who chose the wrong size is much less attractive and no longer a matter of which style one chooses. A lot of men who dress conservatively tend to choose coats which are too large over the shoulder area, possibly in order too look more, well, broad shouldered. Doesn't work and doesn't look stylish.

I quite agree on the jeans with the ragged backs. Some have a split across where the turn up had worn out and the rest is training filthy threads. Yukky with any shoe and applies to both men and women.

Actually any unkempt shoe is horrible. Men and women too. Especially if the backs are worn down sideways. Blakeys are not expensive. Put them on before the wear out as long as you don't work somewhere with a tappy floor.

The whole balding but designer stubble thing (think Jaston Statham http://media.theiapolis.com/cd0d0d0/...jpg?1361630882). It's hair upside down and not making your head look any less barren.

I may just think that as I can't stand Statham though lol.

Basenotes Plus

Nothing spells out 'douchebag' more than a polo T worn with the collar turned up.

A pair of shades perched on the head or worn in reverse is worse so perhaps I was wrong about the polo T.

Be a fashion victim and wear a suit with rolled up trousers + exposed ankles. You're not Thom Browne (sp?).

Be rude. Especially to women.

Walk around topless anywhere apart from the beach, a pool or a park. Keep that beer belly/pumped up chest/tattoo and whatever you wish to show off hidden.

Also temped to add sandals.

Reek of cigarettes.

Guys shouldn't wear belly shirts. Shirts that show their midriff. I don't care if your fat, fit, or ironic. It's just wrong for cry aye!
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Nothing spells out 'douchebag' more than a polo T worn with the collar turned up.
    I claim that someone wearing two polo shirts with both collars popped easily beats this, although I haven't seen it for a couple of years now, so we may be safe.

I'm tempted to add wearing cardigans, but they can look fabulous too, so just be careful with cardigans. The success or lack of, just may have a direct correlation to belly size.

There is always the tight tank top over the crumpled shirt. That applies to both sexes. Or the too overly tucked in shirt/jumper making a lumpy mess at the back of the trews. Worse than VPL.

I don't have a problem with hairy chests showing above shirts (which is a good thing, since my OH's hairy chest joins on to his beard, his beard joins his eyebrows, ear hair and his back) and I don't even mind seeing short sleeves with a tie, but I really do have a problem with bad personal hygiene, nose picking and breaking wind in public, especially if you're in a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    And no man of mine should ever wax his chest.
    Why, hello there. A lady with that attitude is undoubtedly the epitome of pulchritude and perfection in my book!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheIceman View Post
    Why, hello there. A lady with that attitude is undoubtedly the epitome of pulchritude and perfection in my book!
    Why thank you kind sir, & welcome to basenotes!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    And no man of mine should ever wax his chest.
    I think my wife would leave me if I ever did that!

I would leave mine if he did.....anyway where would one stop?

I can't stand it when other men go to the bathroom without washing their hands.

Basenotes Member

Putting the cap on their head. They're not actually wearing it. Everytime I see men wear something like that I want to throw the cap away.
    www.luvessentials.com

Don't be a slave to fashion (see pics above)
    Don't spend more time in the bathroom grooming than I do (nothing wrong with chest hair!)
    Don't call women "females."

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Don't be a slave to fashion (see pics above)
    Don't spend more time in the bathroom grooming than I do (nothing wrong with chest hair!)
    Don't call women "females."
    Nice and smart!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie10 View Post
    Putting the cap on their head. They're not actually wearing it. Everytime I see men wear something like that I want to throw the cap away.
    Oh yes! I think I know what you mean. It's a teenaged style statement I'm guessing since another of the teens who works with my son always wears a watch cap that just seems to sit on his head. It's never pulled down enough to look like he's really "wearing" it. It's just kinda sitting atop his head.
    I won't mention another teen style statement that will hopefully have dirt thrown on it soon---those hats with animal ears. It's just one huge eye-roll. Far from looking whimsical, or clever it just looks pathetic on anyone much over 7.
    Anything involving Ed Hardy, natch, goes without saying, and Speedos...well...ones chances of finding Caron urns in Walmart are only slightly less comparable to those of finding a man who actually looks good and/or appropriate in a Speedo, unless you're hanging at the Olympics.

for a metro man yes... for a biker type not really... you can groom chest hear to make it look neat.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Sandals with ugly feet.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Sandals with ugly feet.
    How about sandals worn with black socks?

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    One thing that looks really silly is when a man is wearing a polo-shirt
    There. Fixed it for you, lol.
    Imho, men have hair. I shave my face, trim when/where appropriate, and get a few haircuts. I always wear a scoop undershirt that nobody ever sees. I will frequently be sporting a small tuft of chest hair out of a casually worn dress shirt or v-neck.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    How about sandals worn with black socks?
    Worse!

Sandals - yes,
    socks - yes,
    sandals + any socks = no

Men should dress in an age appropriate style. No man over the age of 16 should wear his ball cap with the bill at the nape of his neck, or, worse yet, sticking out from either temple. Ridiculous! The wearing of sunglasses with the lenses at the back of the head is similarly ridiculous. When did that trend begin? Was it because of that bombastic loudmouth, Guy Fieri on the Food Network? Of course, men should always wear clothes that fit well. Properly fitted clothing make up for deficiency in style. I am always slightly sickened when I catch sight of plumber's butt, and also when I see a man whose belt buckle is completely hidden underneath an enormously pendulous abdomen.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Funny.

Reaching for an anti-emetic right now. Or maybe I should let it all come out, like the guy in the photo.

CologneFan85

Washing 501's in the washer and dryer...good waste of cash! hand wash and hand dry only!

Default Shouldn't

Wear 'wife-beaters'

Do their eyebrows. If an older gentleman wants to get a trim that's fine. Once someone steps into the realm if trying to manipulate the shape of an eyebrow, it's downright feminine. Wearing pink or purple is completely ok but feminine eyebrows? No.

Of course it's obvious, but baseball caps in decent restaurants make want to strangle the bloke. Of course, so many do it I would be seriously out numbered.

Boy oh boy! So many pet peeves of mine rolled into one thread.
    I don't know when hairy chests became unacceptable, but I guess I'm old school in thinking a man should not have a bare chest.

Also I don't know who thought it was a good idea to wear socks with any kind of sandals. Just wear shoes at that point.

Men that don't wash hands after the bathroom is absolutely vile. I've made comments to guys every time I see this. I get an interesting excuse every time.

People in general that smell like cigarette smoke are just nasty. I'm sorry but it's so unattractive. Especially for women in my opinion. And this is coming from an ex smoker of 20 years. That was always something I was self conscious about.

I don't agree with a man NOT doing his eyebrows though. I'm far from metro, but if you have a unibrow, take care of it. I'm lucky to have nice tidy ones naturally, albeit my left one has a mean arch.

One thing I have a major problem with that men do is excessively cursing in front of women. Even worse, talking about perverse or vile thing things in front of women. Classless and disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Boy oh boy! So many pet peeves of mine rolled into one thread.
    I don't know when hairy chests became unacceptable, but I guess I'm old school in thinking a man should not have a bare chest.

Also I don't know who thought it was a good idea to wear socks with any kind of sandals. Just wear shoes at that point.

Men that don't wash hands after the bathroom is absolutely vile. I've made comments to guys every time I see this. I get an interesting excuse every time.

People in general that smell like cigarette smoke are just nasty. I'm sorry but it's so unattractive. Especially for women in my opinion. And this is coming from an ex smoker of 20 years. That was always something I was self conscious about.

I don't agree with a man NOT doing his eyebrows though. I'm far from metro, but if you have a unibrow, take care of it. I'm lucky to have nice tidy ones naturally, albeit my left one has a mean arch.

One thing I have a major problem with that men do is excessively cursing in front of women. Even worse, talking about perverse or vile thing things in front of women. Classless and disrespectful.

Agree with everything you said .,especially with the last statement.

Or the 50+ guy with jeans up over his waist, roundish midriff, tighter shirt tucked in, and very white running shoes ....

Just looks like a Podunk on tour. See it too often and its awful

And I agree with the polo collar up and sunglasses on backwards.... but I live in the land of fashion "walkers"

This is a good look on any man . No man should wear hats like that !

I don't like undershirts that show, however. So the solution is to button up enough. (And shave one's chest, though in any case showing significant amounts of chest, even if shaved, doesn't seem gentlemanly).