Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Blending/layering, post your favorites!

My wife has worn Jo Malone for years, their frags are designed explicitly for blending and there's even a blending guide on their website. She likes this because it allows her to create a unique scent that only a master perfumer could decode, without the expense of exclusive frags or the hassle of constantly staying on top of new releases.

When Tom Ford debuted his private collection frags, it seemed obvious (to me anyway) that he was aiming for a similar approach, where buyers could purchase a number of dissimilar frags that could be combined into unique combinations. Since then, my signature scent has been a 1:1:1 combination of Tuscan Leather, Italian Cypress and Oud Wood, which has garnered raves from women and men alike, and smells nothing like any single frag I've ever sampled. Best of all I find the combination overcomes the weaknesses of each scent; for example I find Oud Wood has little sillage but Italian Cypress has quite a bit, and in concert they seem to leave a very fragrant trail.

If you have any signature blends you'd like to share, as well as your observations on how they function together versus separately, post them here!

Default Re: Blending/layering, post your favorites!

Never done it.

A 3:2:1 mixture of Demeter Cannabis Flower, Dsquared Rocky Mountain Wood, and Demeter Dirt. I call it "John Denver." Smells like He Wood Ocean Wet Wood with a cannabis undercurrent.

A 1:1 layering of I Profumi di Firenze's Ambra Griesa and Tabacco (smells like salty, creamy, marine-y, and tabacco-y heaven)

A 3:1 layering of Jo Malone's Black Vetyver Cafe and Annick Goutal's Sables (the Jo Malone diversifies the Sables whereas Sables enriches the Jo Malone)

Long live alchemy!

I don't layer fragrances.

CologneFan85

A men Original with A men Pure Malt

Bond No 9 Coney Island with Jo Malone Lime Basil and Mandarin

Gevenchi Play Sport with Dolce Gabanna The one sport
    Last edited by CologneFan85; 13th February 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I layered Tobacco Vanille and M7 on Sunday by "accident." I was traveling and had to use a long sleeve shirt for an unexpected party I was invited to- had been wearing TV that day, and the only suitable shirt had been sprayed with M7 two nights before. The results were interesting.

Banned
    Blog Entries

One spray of YSL L'Homme , one spray of YSL La Nuit.

Tuscan Leather and Pure Havane

I like the idea of layering... but when you think about the countless hours, days (and possibly years) a perfumer spends getting the balance just right in one fragrance... it seems to me like blending two fragrances would ruin the precision in each fragrance.

- - - Updated - - -

The only fragrances that I found smelled good blended were Creed Virgin Island Water and Erolfa. I had one on each wrist while sampling some creeds and the combined sillage was out of this world, like a salty lime coconut.

- - - Updated - - -

No more suggestions from anyone else?
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 17th February 2013 at 05:06 PM.