Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan Timbuktu Initial Review

Today I got my 1 ml sample of L'Artisan Timbuktu in the mail... here's my initial review and thoughts on this fragrance.... Sharp, soapy, flowery and vetiver... this fragrance somewhat reminds me of Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez... similar soapy vetiver scent... it does smell very unique, and I like it...but I don't think this is worth owing a full bottle...

My Initial Grade: 7/10
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: L'Artisan Timbuktu Initial Review

Like this one a lot. You smell any incense?

Yes, I do get the frankincense...

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Like this one a lot. You smell any incense?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I really have to revisit this one.

It did not impress me at all when I tried it. I sampled it with Dzongkha and Dzing! and it was my least favorite. But it's possible I had too many smells going on at once or my nose was having an off day, because so many people rave about Timbuktu.

Took me a while to appreciate it, but now I love Timbuktu. Transparent, yet rich; green and mysterious and radiant.

Just an overall nice scent IMO.

Gave it an average rating.

Clean and somewhat alluring. It's on my list, but pretty far down.

Timbuktu smells somewhat like amouage silver men to me...sharp, soapy and flowery
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Timbuktu is the first fragrance I really found magical, other worldly, hallucinatory, like stepping into a panoramic waterfall in a rain forest.

Great scent. I dont find it soapy at all (I dislike soapy smells). I just liked it at first but now love it.

Sophisticated, versatile, spicy, woody but still somehow fresh, different, great longevity, just good enough projection. It was a steal for a last year fragrancenet discounted price.

- - - Updated - - -

Great scent. I dont find it soapy at all (I dislike soapy smells). I just liked it at first but now love it.

Sophisticated, versatile, spicy, woody but still somehow fresh, different, great longevity, just good enough projection. It was a steal for a last year fragrancenet discounted price.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I like it but there is something in the mix tHat doesn't belong, to me anyways.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Doesn't really work on my skin, just like everything else by Bertrand Duchaufour it seems. Don't know why but they all have terrible longevity and projection on my skin unfortunately. The only one that sortof works is Jubilation XXV...

...but I don't think this is worth owing a full bottle...

My Initial Grade: 7/10[/QUOTE]

Eh? Worth 'back-ups' imo

Initial reviews can always be misleading - give 2-3 tries b4 judging the juice. Timbuktu is a very good parfum IMHO (not great - but very good), worth buying...

Very unique and interesting composition, but for me very tiresome in the long run. I believe it's the Iso-E Super that I find irksome in the drydown. I dislike Miller et Bertaux Spiritus/Land and some of the Incense series in a same way. All are admirable in a way, but the unchanging note (or rather feel maybe) in the background I find annoying.

With events in Mali putting Timbuktu into the world view, I wouldn't be surprised if people subliminally re-visited the name and then the fragrance. Myself, I was intrigued by Timbuktu, but there was something about the floral element that was discordant to me at the time I appraised it. I'll have to take another sniff - and offer good healing thoughts to the people and the city as I do so.

This is the latest fragrance to give me that 'WOW' factor. This is just one of those fragrances that depicts an image in my head and is hard to dissect because I can't get over it's beauty. This shows how fragrance is art; lots of frankincense and some florals backing it up. Some vetiver and a touch of spice which give this a sort of dusty feeling. Great stuff, really wasn't expecting Timbuktu to blow me away like it did. Still trying to learn some of it's facets though, quite a complex scent.

Only problem with this is I find it hard to wear, I really can't find a place, time or event where this would shine, I feel as though if this isn't worn in an appropriate environment then it might not really shine. Just me though.