Code of Conduct

Thread: "nose maturity"

Default "nose maturity"

Have you ever on your fragrance journey come to a point where your nose reaches a level of "maturity"? What I mean is have you come to a point where you crave well composed 5 star fragrances and your whole style changes? I feel like I am at that point. I don't know if its because I'm getting older or what. All I know is all the sweet, lady killers and generic mainstream fragrances make me gag now. Fragrances I NEVER would have worn years ago, I am truly entranced by. I don't care anymore if other people smell what I'm wearing. I don't care "which frag gets you the most compliments". Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox, tell me if you've ever experienced this, or tell me I'm nuts, just give some feedback. Thanks!!!
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: "nose maturity"

Yes, I feel that my nose has 'matured' but nonetheless there is still much more for me to learn. It's why I keep spending so much time on BN.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I think pretty much everybody who's been around BN for a while has experienced this. Once one starts smelling around and developing preferences, there's no going back.

cacio

Yup, ur virgin nose got deflowered by the more complex perfumes. Now safeguard ur wallet

I think you hit the nail on the head. Preference. It seems as though I was searching, searching, searching and now I feel(after a good amount of money) that I at least know what my preferences are. I know I still have a loooooooong way to go, but at least I'm headed in the right direction!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Yup, ur virgin nose got deflowered by the more complex perfumes. Now safeguard ur wallet
    LOL!!!
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    What I mean is have you come to a point where you crave well composed 5 star fragrances and your whole style changes?
    For me - No.

One thing I've found is that my sensitivity changes significantly for no apparent reason, so that will affect my perception. Some days a spray to the chest with vintage Kouros is not an issue whereas other times it's too much, for example. Another example is castoreum, which I often find sickening in large amounts but not always. Another thing I've noticed recently is that when I first sample a scent the sweet aspects seem stronger than in subsequent wearings, so I have to take this into account as well (and it might change at some point, for all I know).

However, I don't dislike all "cheapos," and in fact it often seems like the perfumer had a good idea (though the ingredient quality may not be what it needs to be). There was a stage during which I didn't like simple scents but now variety seems to be what I'm seeking though I certainly usually prefer more complex ones. Remember that complexity can come from the inherent characteristics of the ingredients or from a bunch of notes composed well. There are many patchouli and amber/vanilla scents, for example, but that comes across (to me) as simplistic, whereas good quality sandalwood can seem quite complex.

I think "nose maturity" comes when you find you're comfortable with your own taste and stop worrying about what others would consider "5 stars."

I don't know about 'nose maturity' but I would say my nose is a lot more 'sensitive' ever since I started really exploring fragrances. Scents I used to enjoy don't smell the same or as 'great' as I used to think they were and I'm picking up various notes I never paid attention to or noticed previously.

I have more specific fragrance tastes now, more targeted and more strict fragrance requirements, but even though I had my fair share of fragrances tested and purchased, I cannot actually say whether my nose has actually matured. My nose is, in many ways, still eager for lots of fragrance experiences, almost irrespective how random, unsolicited, non-generic, non-linear etc. they are.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I think "nose maturity" comes when you find you're comfortable with your own taste and stop worrying about what others would consider "5 stars."
    +1. Well said. '5 Star' is just another point on the spectrum.

The next phase comes when you are able to appreciate and enjoy the simpler cheapies and would have a place for them right next to your more complex/ rare/ expensive 5-Star masterpieces. Only then can you consider yourself approaching a rather liberating state of fragrance enlightenment.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 14th February 2013 at 07:50 AM.

Have you ever on your fragrance journey come to a point where your nose reaches a level of "maturity"? What I mean is have you come to a point where you crave well composed 5 star fragrances and your whole style changes? I feel like I am at that point. I don't know if its because I'm getting older or what. All I know is all the sweet, lady killers and generic mainstream fragrances make me gag now. Fragrances I NEVER would have worn years ago, I am truly entranced by. I don't care anymore if other people smell what I'm wearing. I don't care "which frag gets you the most compliments". Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox, tell me if you've ever experienced this, or tell me I'm nuts, just give some feedback. Thanks!!!
    To me, nose maturity occurs when suddenly one realises that Cool Water doesn't smell anything like Green Irish Tweed, despite having posted here on various occasions that they were almost exactly the same.

However, what you seem to be describing is one's nose suddenly becoming snobby. It seems to affect small groups at Basenotes who suddenly start wearing unisex niche scents or women's scents.

It helps to try bring some objectivity back. What you need to ask yourself is whether or not acknowledged perfume experts like Luca Turin or Michael Edwards would have started rating all those designer scents that you suddenly don't like at zero stars, when their noses had "matured".
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I agree with your comment as you can see with my comment earlier. It feels good to finally realize what I enjoy. I could care less what others consider "5 star fragrances". I guess I used the wrong phrase in expressing my thoughts. I only use others' perception of fragrance as A guide, not THE guide. Thank you for your response.
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Sound Scents

I don't think my *nose* has matured but as I continue to try more and more fragrances over the years I have indeed become more demanding due to finding scents that specifically appeal to my tastes that I never knew existed. Once I have sniffed those it is indeed difficult to go back to others that would have previously "made the grade". That said, my actual preferences really have not changed much from 20+ years ago.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    To me, nose maturity occurs when suddenly one realises that Cool Water doesn't smell anything like Green Irish Tweed, despite having posted here on various occasions that they were almost exactly the same.

However, what you seem to be describing is one's nose suddenly becoming snobby. It seems to affect small groups at Basenotes who suddenly start wearing unisex niche scents or women's scents.

It helps to try bring some objectivity back. What you need to ask yourself is whether or not acknowledged perfume experts like Luca Turin or Michael Edwards would have started rating all those designer scents that you suddenly don't like at zero stars, when their noses had "matured".
    Regards,
    Renato
    I realized a long time ago that Cool Water does not smell like GIT, or Le Male doesnt smell like Reflection Man, or Unforgiveable doesnt smell like MIP, or Rochas Man doesnt smell like New Haarlem, or Pure Malt doesnt smell like Frapin 1270, or any other other designer fragrances that have similiarities to niche. As far as the unisex niche scents or womens scents comment, I actually had no problem wearing these types of fragrances before and now I am liking more of the mature masculine scents that I used to detest. The word "designer" was never referenced in my comment. I have great love and respect for a number of designer fragrances to include: dior fahrenheit, dior homme, A*men, Prada Amber Pour Homme, LLAM, and Body Kouros to name a few. Not to mention Guerlain classics whether they be new or vintage. Thank you for your response.
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

You learn well young Jedi!

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I don't think my *nose* has matured but as I continue to try more and more fragrances over the years I have indeed become more demanding due to finding scents that specifically appeal to my tastes that I never knew existed. Once I have sniffed those it is indeed difficult to go back to others that would have previously "made the grade". That said, my actual preferences really have not changed much from 20+ years ago.
    I suppose that what I am referencing when I say "matured". As I sniff more and more dynamic and complex fragrances, the ones that I used to think were great are only average at best. I believe its not just dynamics and complexities that are in question however, because I sniffed M and Black Afgano and no longer enjoyed Jubilation XXV, which I know is a great frag, but it does nothing for me anymore. It sat in my mini fridge for a full year before I gave it away on the free thread. Thank you very much for your response.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    +1. Well said. '5 Star' is just another point on the spectrum.

The next phase comes when you are able to appreciate and enjoy the simpler cheapies and would have a place for them right next to your more complex/ rare/ expensive 5-Star masterpieces. Only then can you consider yourself approaching a rather liberating state of fragrance enlightenment.
    As always I am very thankful for your response.
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

I dip in and out of designer fragrances -- trying to find a nice one, but I rarely purchase. Maybe 2 or 3 a year. I have basically got used to luxurious and niche fragrances and these are what I like best. If you drive a Bentley (I don't), why would you be looking for a Ford Hatchback for your next purchase (if you didn't have to). I'd rather spend my money on a couple of drop-dead gorgeous scents than half a dozen mall juices. Nose maturity? Not sure, sounds a bit pretentious, but maybe.

Yip, experienced this just the other day when I picked up my Chergui sample that I had dismissed about a year earlier. Can't get enough of it now but didn't get it at first.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Familiarity breeds contempt. Variety is the spice of life. That's why we have the Kamasutra. Off-road driving brings a different joy than cruising in a Bentley. Who's to say which activity is the more pleasurable?

I realized a long time ago that Cool Water does not smell like GIT, or Le Male doesnt smell like Reflection Man, or Unforgiveable doesnt smell like MIP, or Rochas Man doesnt smell like New Haarlem, or Pure Malt doesnt smell like Frapin 1270, or any other other designer fragrances that have similiarities to niche. As far as the unisex niche scents or womens scents comment, I actually had no problem wearing these types of fragrances before and now I am liking more of the mature masculine scents that I used to detest. The word "designer" was never referenced in my comment. I have great love and respect for a number of designer fragrances to include: dior fahrenheit, dior homme, A*men, Prada Amber Pour Homme, LLAM, and Body Kouros to name a few. Not to mention Guerlain classics whether they be new or vintage. Thank you for your response.
    Fair enough.
    But you now have me somewhat nonplussed.
    Could you please be a bit more explicit about which are the " sweet, lady killers and generic mainstream fragrances" that make you gag now? As, given your response, I'm really not sure what you are referring to.
    Regards,
    Renato

Familiarity breeds contempt. Variety is the spice of life. That's why we have the Kamasutra. Off-road driving brings a different joy than cruising in a Bentley. Who's to say which activity is the more pleasurable?
    Excellent Point.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough.
    But you now have me somewhat nonplussed.
    Could you please be a bit more explicit about which are the " sweet, lady killers and generic mainstream fragrances" that make you gag now? As, given your response, I'm really not sure what you are referring to.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I was referring to fragrances like Le Male, Rochas Man, Givenchy Play Intense, and 1 Million to name a few....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I dip in and out of designer fragrances -- trying to find a nice one, but I rarely purchase. Maybe 2 or 3 a year. I have basically got used to luxurious and niche fragrances and these are what I like best. If you drive a Bentley (I don't), why would you be looking for a Ford Hatchback for your next purchase (if you didn't have to). I'd rather spend my money on a couple of drop-dead gorgeous scents than half a dozen mall juices. Nose maturity? Not sure, sounds a bit pretentious, but maybe.
    It does sound quite prententious but what else would you call it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Yip, experienced this just the other day when I picked up my Chergui sample that I had dismissed about a year earlier. Can't get enough of it now but didn't get it at first.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

I don't think I will ever develop this nose maturity you speak of. I say that just because I look at other aspects of my life, like my taste in music. I still enjoy mainstream electronic even after years of delving into the lesser known. I notice that I may enjoy complexity, or uniqueness, because as humans we crave something new. But I imagine my taste in simplicity, even mainstream/generic will never go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1411 View Post
    I don't think I will ever develop this nose maturity you speak of. I say that just because I look at other aspects of my life, like my taste in music. I still enjoy mainstream electronic even after years of delving into the lesser known. I notice that I may enjoy complexity, or uniqueness, because as humans we crave something new. But I imagine my taste in simplicity, even mainstream/generic will never go away.
    Thank you for your response
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

For me, it's an increased sensitivity to many synthetic aromachemicals... when they are used in a clumsy manner (most frags) they annoy me. Most designer frags are annoyingly synthetic, and many niche as well like Amouage, who combine very nice natural topnotes with awful synthetic bases. I still enjoy trying out different frags but I have gone from liking maybe 5% of what I try out to less than 1%.

I was referring to fragrances like Le Male, Rochas Man, Givenchy Play Intense, and 1 Million to name a few....
    I can't really say I see a significant difference between these ones and the ones that you admire - A*Men and Body Kouros.
    Though I can understand how one can easily tire of some of the sweeter scents, particularly with multiple wears in a short time period.
    Regards,
    Renato

I can't really say I see a significant difference between these ones and the ones that you admire - A*Men and Body Kouros.
    Though I can understand how one can easily tire of some of the sweeter scents, particularly with multiple wears in a short time period.
    Regards,
    Renato
    So you mean to tell me that there is not a significant difference between A*men and Rochas Man? Or Body Kouros and 1 million?
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

You misunderstand me. I wasn't referring to the activity inside the car, but the quality of the car itself. Your 2 cliches don't apply either -- there is plenty of 'variety' in niche fragrances to see me out.

Nose maturity doesn't mean nose professional.

I think it is when someone smells a perfume and realizes its more complex or abstract that they can understand at that point in time. The understanding and recognizing will come with skill.

for swap/sale:

my nose's always open to try new scent (same goes for the wallet)

by saying my nose has matured, is like saying i know everything and i don't need to learn anymore
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Let's face it, sometimes you have to take your grandma to a downscale, economy cage match for a change of pace. Not gonna lie.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 26th February 2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: double post, dammit