Code of Conduct

Default Was Le Male reformulated in the past year?

I bought a 75mL Le Male in December and it doesn't seem as potent.

Did JPG reformulate it sometime in 2012?

I'm trying to seek out a known older bottle of it for testing.

Anyone know for sure? I can't find a cosmetic check website for it....
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Default Re: Was Le Male reformulated in the past year?

Not that I have read or heard.

Bump, anyone have any info?
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Nope, didn't hear anything about this...why...did they make it stronger?

I would be suprised if it wasnt reformulated since its release in 1995. So question is not whether it was reformulated, but how many times and when it was reformulated?
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

Some fellows were complaining about longevity and projection on their new bottle , saying they only get like 6 hours now .

My new bottle does seem to be lacking, I just purchased a 125mL bottle that is likely from early 2011 production last night.

Should I report back my findings?
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I've been hearing this a lot recently. Personally the current juice turned powdery far too quickly for me. The only way to be sure is if somebody can do a side by side comparison with at least a pre 2000 bottle. Im sure there has to be some Basenoters with some older bottles.

I have a bottle from 1998. I'll be near a sephora tomorrow, so I'll get a little decant of it.

I use it every now and then. It's strong as hell, and lasts forever.

That's why I've still got half a bottle left heh

I wore Le Male a few days ago from a sample. To be honest, it's far from being a strong perfume. Maybe only in the first 30min but after that it becomes a quiet scent, a powdery vanilla with a hint o mint.
    I get about 6h longevity and moderate projection.

To my nose the vanilla is not as rich in drydown.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I have a bottle from 1998. I'll be near a sephora tomorrow, so I'll get a little decant of it.

I use it every now and then. It's strong as hell, and lasts forever.

That's why I've still got half a bottle left heh
    I'm not one that throws the 'reformulated' tag around lightly and I think sometimes it's just peoples tastes changing/evolving Le Male however is one that I think may have changed so I look forward to your findings!

I still like the way it smells, but it's so strong and in your face. When I was 20 years old maybe, but I can't deal with it anymore.

I'm pretty interested in if they toned it down. It that's all they did, then I may actually like it better now with the reformulation.

Mine purchased in 2011 is powerful and lasts and lasts.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/319...t=#post2791267

^ This will answer you question.

Holy Shi* if I had a Credit Card I would buy this. Here is a link to an Extremely Old bottle of Le Male Wrapped!!! Im talking 1990's old. It even says it in one of the pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Le-Male-Jean...item1e7745e1da

Also to back up the fact it is vintage and that the le male logo is on the top here is a 1999 poster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PUBLICITE-19...item53f415de84

- - - Updated - - -

Another Fact!! This was before IFRA and Europe required the current 26 allergens to be listed on bottles.

What is listed on that vintage bottle: Alcohol, Water, Fragrance, BHT, Benzophenone-3

Whats listed on current bottles: Alcohol, Water, Fragrance, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Coumarin, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, BHT, Benzophenone-3, Limonene, Cinnamal, Citral, Geraniol, Eugenol, Citronellol

Now this does not imply a reformulation, just a dating of the bottle. All I'm really trying to say here is SOMEONE GET THAT BOTTLE! If you don't like it I will buy it off of you, so no worries. Hopefully he will put the bottle back up for sale because the listing just ended. Ahhh Basenotes NEEDS THIS BOTTLE!!! lol
    Last edited by BAGreat; 15th February 2013 at 05:01 AM.

We can only hope.

The original Le Male is a genius creation. It was deep and rich and unique.

Fragrance reformulations are like making a black and white copy of a painting rich with colors. It may look the same, but its not.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Not that I know of.

My new bottle def smells diff than the one I had years ago. Its also weaker

I went to sephora today, and i was going to ask them to make me a sample, but the bottle was almost empty. So i asked an SA how old the tester was, and she said it must be pretty old. So i decided to go over to Bloomies since it was right there and see an old friend for a sample.

She told me they just got these a few months ago, so i'm sure they're fairly new. Its an official JPG sample.

When i got home at about 2, i showered and got dressed. I was planning on wearing my new Ramon Monegal, but since i said i would test them out, i'm keeping my word. I'm as interested as you guys! JPG will always have a special place in my heart, even though i don't wear it anymore.

I did a nice BIG spray of my original on one arm, and a nice BIG spray of my new sample on the other arm.

They do actually smell slightly different right off the bat. The original has a very piercing... lavender(i think) note from the start. Its neutered on the new one.

The next thing i noticed is that my original is POWERFUL. I put my arm with the new juice behind my back, and waved my arm with the old stuff up and down, and you could smell it like crazy.

So i left the house and went about my business. I checked on the smell every now and then. It seems like the transformation of notes happens much quicker on the new stuff. Because after about 2 hours, all i could smell was a vanilla like smell on my arm with the new juice. My arm with old juice still had that signature JPG smell, albeit a little softer, but still kicking.

8 o'clock, i got to the cafe and gave them a sniff. the arm with the new juice was basically a faint musc smell. This is about 5 hours. The old juice smelling good as ever, settling into that softer side that we all know of JPG.

I got home at about 3am. The final sniff revealed to me that the new juice was 90% gone. Barely a faint musc. Old juice, JPG vanilla goodness.

My skin is average with about all frags. They don't really last any longer or shorter than most people.

So my conclusion, is there must have been some kind of change along the way. I have no idea when, as the last bottle i purchased was 15 years ago.

So just like most frags that have been reformulated, if you want the real experience, you might want to look into getting a vintage bottle!

Heres the little sample i got today:

My bottle from 2011 arrived today and there's an obvious power difference on the initial blast. I haven't had time to really dissect them yet... my new bottle is from late 2012.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    Bump, anyone have any info?
    I strongly believe it has been reformulated, its not as sharp and piquant as before.

Thanks for taking the time to do this aphexacid to be doubly sure if I was you do one more side by side to cement the findings. Your thoughts are what people have been saying though...less longevity and gets powdery quickly.

My bottle of Le Male was purchased in December 2011. Seems very weak when I consider the hype surrounding the projection and longevity of the fragrance. Interesting notes by BAGreat and aphexacid -- appreciate that!

Further testing,

I'm appalled after some side by side testing.

The new bottle has a higher amount of alcohol in the opening when compared to my bottle from 2011.

My 2011 bottle can be smelled 3 feet away mid spray, whereas if close enough to the new bottle it smells only of alcohol until dry....

Will continue testing.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

The Vintage Le Male was sold. Man do I hope someone on basenotes grabbed it so I can see what is is like.

Le Male sucks period. Over-hyped.

Guys, make sure you take into account how fragrances mature over time. It's not just a marketing gimmick by Creed, but a fact of chemistry. Some fragrances get worse, some get better and some just become more potent. Luca Turin mentioned this in a book or article somewhere about Guerlain fragrances that were fresh from the factory (they didn't smell so good). I wish I remembered where the source is.

Anyway, I doubt they would have reformulated Le Male.