Code of Conduct

Default A "dupe" really as good as the original? the answer sadly, is ...Yes. (with pictures)

"Diable Bleu", by Creation Lamis
    VS
    "A*Men", by Thierry Mugler

How can I start this thread?
    Let's say I paid this "dupe" 4.99 euros in the store (less than 7 dollars), for a 100ml 3.3 oz EDT.
    Let's say it contains, as reported on the box, both Evernia Prunastri and Evernia Furfuracea (Oakmoss and Treemoss)
    Let's say it's produced in Belgium.
    Let's say it has a luxury box, with embossed drawings, internal textures, and so on.
    Let's say it's PERFECTLY identical to A*Men by Thierry Mugler, with chocolate, coffee and caramel notes, same longevity and sillage.
    Let's say, I am completely embarrassed: I have bought a great scent for pennies.
    Let's say we need some critical thoughts on today perfumery.

Presentation:

you can read Oakmoss and Treemoss

Opening

Bottle and box

Details of bottle : the frag has no difference with original A*Men

Produced in Ranst, Belgium

Not cheap: details of the embossed box
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 14th February 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Default Re: A "dupe" really as good as the original? the answer sadly, is ...Yes. (with pictures)

Let's say you made out like a bandit! Enjoy bro!

Default Re: A "dupe" really as good as the original? the answer sadly, is ...Yes. (with pictures)

I want to be democratic : giving an opportunity to everyone.
    and the worst thing is to smell certain "ultra-low cost" frags that seem at the same level of >250 euros niche ones

Andre,
    Thanks for the introduction. This sounds great!

Basenotes Plus

I've never encountered a good "dupe" before. I saw one at Walmart that claims it smells exactly like Bleu de Chanel. So I spray the tester on my wrist and it was actually 80% close to BdC after about 20 seconds of a strong alcohol smell. Problem was I got home and couldn't smell it on my wrist anymore.

Although I wouldn't put much faith in the ingredient list, if it smells good, that's great. The major problem I have with most dupes is that they are made to smell good on the initial blast (which is how they get you to buy them to begin with), but have no staying power and disappear within an hour.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I've never encountered a good "dupe" before.
    Me neither.

ok, I agree: most dupes are NOT similar to originals. But this is different, otherwise I will have not written this "review". : after 4 hours still smells vigorously.
    Someone, at this point could say: No wonder, it's more easy to clone a "gourmand" scent, for example "A*Man"!,
    ....but this is really faithful to the original, box and bottle are top-level, and has an embarrassing price tag.
    (BTW you can find easily on Ebay, please note I am not the seller )

Dupe oils seem better than spray types because of the use of cheap alcohol

Basenotes Junkie

Tar note? Monster silliage /longevity? Hmm, I guess for 7 bucks it can,t hurt to try it, but I already own A-men and don't really need another...Maybe when my A-Men runs out I'll try it. Thanks for the tip though.
    Last edited by timmy-j; 14th February 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Darn it, Andre. You just revealed Mugler's most well kept secret!

Good to know! thanks..would test it if I ever come across it!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Having in mind that each nose is different, I'd say, more than a "tar" note, a "burned-sugar" one. Similar to the smell of sugar put onto flame. On my skin this smell arrives after one-two mins , lasts for about 5-10 mins then disappear.
    Longevity of this frag? hours and hours....
    Anyway, we should remember this is a 5 euros/ 7 dollars scent, NIB.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Tar note? Monster silliage /longevity? Hmm, I guess for 7 bucks it can,t hurt to try it, but I already own A-men and don't really need another...Maybe when my A-Men runs out I'll try it. Thanks for the tip though.

THANKS. FASCINATING THREAD !!!
    I have also come across some excellent copies.
    It is of special significance when a certain perfume is discontinued. A clone is then a good alternative.
    In the case of the discontinued Gucci Envy, (womens) I found an excellent copy called "Evi". Sorry, I no longer remember the name of the company who make it.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Interesting, thanks for sharing. The market segment of copies/dupes may be even (a bit) underrated.

Dependent

I was under the impression A*Men lasts for 12 hours or so. How's DB stack up

Just found this thread
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273821-Diable-Bleu

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked: after 24 hours on paper, Diable Bleu by "creation lamis" still smells vigorously.
    Enough to say it's a really good quality "dupe".
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 15th February 2013 at 10:36 PM.