Code of Conduct

Default SotD Thursday 14th February 2013, Valentine's Day ♥

Hello all!
    Basenotes seems to be having some hiccups!

I'm not a Valentine's Day kind of guy but I allowed myself to wear Amouage Lyric Man today

Happy V-Day to those in love who celebrate.

Default Re: SotD Thursday 14th February 2013, Valentine's Day ♥

Happy Valentine's to everyone!

TF Tobacco Vanille. True winter love for today

Basenotes Plus

Happy Valentine's Day, all! To love and to be loved is a gift beyond compare.

SOTD is Parfums de Marly Safanad: "...According to legend, the Queen of Sheba gave the wise King Solomon a thoroughbred mare named Safanad, whose name means 'the pure one'."

This a beautiful, sweet orange blossom scent, voluptuous and rich.
    Notes include pear, orange, ylang ylang, iris, orange blossom, amber, sandalwood, vanilla

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Smile Re: SotD Thursday 14th February 2013, Valentine's Day ♥

Happy Valentine's Day

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Jean Marc Sinan Sinan, Happy Valentine's Day to everybody.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Happy Valentines Day to all! SotD is Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella.

Afternoon All,

Lucas - I'm not much of a Valentine's Day guy, either. Too cynical (too single, more like !). For those with romantic designs on the day, enjoy !

Ungaro II for me.

Quick story: I recently acquired a new pen pal in Scandinavia who, as chance would have it, is a BNer ! Or rather, she was active here a couple of years ago, but seems to now frequent another site. I won't say who it is, but on the off-chance she sees this, . Small world.

Best to all.

Hello everyone -

I'm in Lady Vengeance this morning. Y'all have a wonderful day!

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Birthday to turquoisewater - I hope you have a very special and beautifully-fragranced day!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Happy Valentine's Day! I'll be wearing By Kilian Rose Oud today. It is both rosy and sweet

Encre Noire

Quote Originally Posted by catnip_too View Post
    Happy Valentine's Day! I'll be wearing By Kilian Rose Oud today. It is both rosy and sweet
    Don't forget "gorgeous", catnip ...rosy, sweet and gorgeous. Lucky me to be so close to you!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Well I was going to wear my Citizen Queen today in honor of Valentine's day, but my decant of Chergui arrived yesterday and I just HAD to try it.

Ok, verdict, it's not the mystery sample that I'm trying to figure out from the other day, but it is indeed wonderful and warming. Just what I needed after a restless night of trying to sleep. I'm leaving on vacation in 2 days and my mind won't shut up with all that has to be done before then. Since I'm driving straight through, 16hours, I really need it to shut up and sleep. Maybe tonight.

I do need your help though, my lovely BNers. If the sample is not Chergui, it's a chance it could be Memoir Woman. I compared the two and the Mystery Sample is much sweeter. I'm SO not good with notes or maybe I could figure it out. It is also more of a rosy dark color than the Chergui. Anyone familiar with Memoir? My decant of Lyric is coming today I think, but I'm pretty sure based on feed back that it's not Lyric.

Have a Happy V-Day everyone!

Oh, and after catching up on yesterdays thread, I have to say ... I love your husband Twolf! Don't anyone lose any of your voluptuousness, whether it be in spirit, in mind or in body! ... or in scent!

I don't care about that "I'm not a Valentine's Day kind of guy/girl" nonsense. You're all sweethearts and I love you all.

I have no idea what fragrance I'm going to wear today. It's very foggy this morning but it looks like the sun is trying to burn through it. I don't know what that has to do with it, other than framing my mood. I'll be back later after I've made up my mind. Love to everybody. xoxo

Basenotes Plus

Dr. G, I think that's cool.

Happy Valentines Day!!!!

We're recovering from "THE" cold of the season in our household, so nobody feels very kissy-face.

SOTD is the only tuberose I love RP's FRACAS parfum.

This notorious heavy hitter is a demure posey on my skin. Weird, but true.

And for your enjoyment.......
    http://www.youtube.com/share_popup?v=mb_ndZfWNxQ
    Last edited by RHM; 15th February 2013 at 04:06 AM.

Hello all. A sample of Sienna L'Hiver.
    DONNA

Evangeline, absolutely

Elizrj, Amouage Memoir is fairly dry, strongly based on incense, and only slightly sweet. The color doesn't seem rosy dark to me; Chergui looks more like that. Memoir looks more dark yellow to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Happy Valentine's Day, all! To love and to be loved is a gift beyond compare.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I don't care about that "I'm not a Valentine's Day kind of guy/girl" nonsense. You're all sweethearts and I love you all.

I completely agree with your sentiments, tdem and lilybelle - all love is special and should be celebrated, not just romantic love ...that you love is far more important than whom. Also, I just adore these sweet, old-fashioned Valentines - that one's super-precious! I saved a bunch of mine from grade school and they're all in a box somewhere, probably in my parents' attic, but I'd love to go through them now.

I Valentine's Day!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I'm not much of a Valentine's Day guy, either. Too cynical (too single, more like !). For those with romantic designs on the day, enjoy !
    Same here. If I were to offer a gift around this date, you could bet it wasn't Valentine's Day. A sure miss!

Tabac Blond Extrait today.

Cheers to all

Because I haven't received any roses from my sweetie yet, and based on Perfumed Lady's impression of it as "Rose Bathroom Spray" it should be a decent stand-in.

Imprevisible: unpredictable
    That doesn't help?

(Evangeline, I love your slug!)

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Same here. If I were to offer a gift around this date, you could bet it wasn't Valentine's Day. A sure miss!

(Thanks Schilling, but I think he prefers "snail" ...wouldn't you? You smell amazing, btw, and don't you let PLady tell you any different!)

Evangeline, I denied the little fellow of his best quality!
    (At least I didn't say escargot.)

^ Hah !

Lol! Touch ...hee!

Basenotes Plus

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Happy Birthday, Turquoisewater, I hope you have a lovely day!

SotD is Dior Hypnotic Poison.

Basenotes Plus

The restaurant is booked, and we will be dining Italian this evening though she doesn't know it yet. Old romantic at heart ? - maybe, or maybe in fear of repercussions should I forget. I'll let others be the judge .

Special Valentine hugs for voluptuous Wolfie - relieved and delighted that things are slowly improving.

Enjoy your special day today, turquoisewater.

SotD is Dzongkha.

Miles by Detaille

Good morning all my Valentine's I'm a little synical about this day, having very recently been through a split up, but I do love each and every one of you and our time here together.

Cuir de Lancome today. A not so tough leather

Happy Birthday, turquoisewater I hope you have something doubly lovely planned for today.

((Twolf)), I'm glad things are looking up. May spring bring its joy to you and Mr. Twolf. It seems long overdue.

lillybelle, I'm with Evangeline -- I *adore* those sweet, old-fashioned Valentine's Day cards. I remember how much I loved Valentine's Day as a kid, decorating the shoebox with the slit in the top for all those wonderful cards (and awesome heart candies!) Thank you for bringing back that rush of memory ((Hugs))

I'm starting my annual florals quest by going back through the samples I already have. Today is Parfumerie Generale Drama Nuui, with notes of petit grain, absinthe, jasmine, spices, guaiac wood, sandalwood, musk. It's not a loud or lush jasmine at all. It's more airy, a little green, and a little sharp -- a different approach to florals for me. It's nice, but it's not going to be a love-match.

Happy Valentine's Day to all, with an excerpt from my favorite love poem of all time:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
    Admit impediments. Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds,
    Or bends with the remover to remove:
    O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
    That looks on tempests and is never shaken ...
    --Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Good morning all my Valentine's I'm a little synical about this day, having very recently been through a split up, but I do love each and every one of you and our time here together.

Cuir de Lancome today. A not so tough leather

((((cello))) I know that feeling all too well. It gets better. As Quarry said, we cry together. I'll add, we love together, too.

Thank you all!

RHM, same here -- a demure posey on my skin too and I do not do heavy stuff at all!

Another excellent thread today we are having.

Good afternoon.

SotD is Etro Patchouly.

Have a nice day
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Sampling Carner Barcelona ~ D600. Warmest wishes to all.

Blog Entries

Happy Valentines Day everyone, & Happy Birthday turquoisewater!

Thanks again to all for your kind thoughts & hugs yesterday, l am certainly feeling the love around here.

SOTD was Ghost, on an unexpectedly sunny & mild day, which gave me a lift. l've been busy teaching a student all day at work which kept me distracted, but mentally l'm pretty tired again now. My bf & l don't really make a fuss about Valentines Day, although we always give each other a card. l'm a little cynical about it myself, probably because l never really got any cards when l was at school! So this evening will be spent simply relaxing, & we'll go out at the weekend.

Evangeline, l love that kitty pic!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Teardrop, my husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day in any big way. And we don't make a big deal about our anniversary (which is two days before Valentine's Day), although I did receive a heart shaped box of Russell Stover chocolates and a card from Walgreens! I had to hide the chocolates because I've given up sugar for Lent. I haven't bought him a card yet, but I will: one from the dog. Daddy is her boyfriend. It's all just silliness. I liked Valentine's Day in school, and I remember those sweet cards, too, Evangeline, although I don't have any of mine. I think everybody just gave them to everybody else in the class. I don't recall it being a popularity contest. When I was single and boyfriendless/dateless on Valentine's Day I used to watch other young women getting these enormous bouquets or engagement rings or whatever on Valentine's Day, and I remember feeling a little smug, like "how corny!", but at the same time I was envious, lol! At least somebody loved and wanted them! My mother's husband was sweet, he always bought me a little something nice for Valentine's Day so I wouldn't feel left out...back in the ancient days. Sniff.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - L'Occitane Eau des Baux.

Happy V-day! Chocolates are in order!

Sotd, Hypnotic Poison Elixir.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Wearing Parfum Sacre.

Evening All,

Dior Homme tonight.

xo

Happy Birthday, turquoisewater!

Twolf, it's so good to hear of Mr. T starting to get out & about, and that his sense of humor remains healthy as ever. Lots of love to both of you.

And Happy Valentine's Day! You're all my sweeties! I have to admit, never cared much about the day when I was young & single! But now I do take it as a day to celebrate all my loved ones, this includes all of you.

In Tabac Blond extrait today. Hugs & kisses to each one of you!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

Musc Ravageur this evening. More hugs & kisses from me!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

happy is the bleu heart<3

Happy Valentine's Day! I'm wearing By Kilian Love today ... because a day honoring love should have plenty of Love. It's always low key for us. No cards, but I baked my boys (2 sons + hubby) some cookies and decorated them with pink and red sugar.

Happy birthday, turquoisewater!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I'm twins with Shades in BK Love..Don't Be Shy.

Happy Birthday, Turquoisewater!

Enjoy the evening, everybody.

It's still Valentine's day in the UK, but 5 am the next day here in Saigon. I was (am?) wearing Chanel Coromandel.

Banned

hello happy folks

happy day to you all...

i did not win my ebay valentines present to myself, was at work and the boss came in 10 mins before the close so i lost my present.....

but i am sooooooooo pleasently surprised....that Pear &Olive from Slumberhouse is an amaaaaaaaazing scent!! this is totaly modern frag, in composition, but doesnt smell synthetic at all, i thought at first its overly simplistic one of the many simple, one note frags....for mass market taste...but this is an amazing thing! it is so loooooooong lasting, has perfect amount of sillage....never overpowering, not cloying....smells like ice cream, we call it punch here...you know when frozen icecream radiates the smell when you take it out of the deep freezing in the summer...that type of smell....and like a touch of pear from all that, nothing sweet, so 3D and is never ending story...how they combined this longevity with this type of lightness i dont understand...there are all new notes for me! nothing familiar....

Happy Valentine's Day!

La Fille de Berlin for me today.

Blog Entries

SotA - Millesime Imperial by Creed (from a sample)

queen of the universe

My recent ebay victory, vintage Caron infini parfume. Aldehydes and tuberose, oh, my.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

My SO can't stand most fragrances...

I chose Serge Lutens Un Lys as my V-day scent. Hopefully it's natural enough :P

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Puro Lino tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Happening Extreme EDT
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Institution

Well, it's been a long day and I'm FINALLY logging into BN. Whew!

Happy Birthday to turquoisewater - I forgot your B'day was on 2/14. ((BIG bear hugs)) to you. If I had realized it was your birthday this morning I would have worn Chergui because when I think of meeting you for the 1st time at Scent Bar, it was when I first smelled that scent and it was Instant Love and I remember you were standing right next to me at the time. Nice memory.

Momma Quarry - hope you & Papa Quarry had a nice V-day. By the way, I thought of you when I heard that Miss Piggy is getting married! Link here: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00057874.html

This morning I woke up wanting to wear something with aldehydes, after reading the Sample Pass thread all in one sitting last night. I thought I had a sample of Iris Poudre but I couldn't find it in The Pile That Groweth Every Day this morning, so I reached for some vintage decants that Lilybelle sent me ages ago when we first met online. I haven't really delved into them a lot but today, when I had a craving for aldehydes & they did the trick. Plus it just felt like Lilybelle was with me, this morning, and that felt good. The scent that won out was:

Ma Griffe (vintage Eau de Parfum) by Carven

Nice and fizzy/floral when I sprayed it on this morning, it put a nice Spring in my step. Faded a bit quickly, so next time I'm going to really douse myself in it. I don't know much about Ma Griffe (notes, etc) but I managed to not swoop onto the 'net and research it to death, I just enjoyed it. I got a whiff of something in it from my L' Air du Temps but not carnation...some other floral (?)

This afternoon (after a lunchtime workout @ the gym) it was:

No. 19 (vintage Eau de Cologne) by Chanel

Ah, perfect. Iris, aldehydes, razor sharp green notes. Zing!!

Tonight, it will be lot's of Shalimar 'new' parfum. I need olfactory comfort before bed.

Happy Valentine's Day ladies & gents. I, as some of you know, are going through some tough personal issues these days and so today was especially bittersweet for me. That's all I'm going to say for now - but those of you who know me and about my life will probably understand what's going on. Sorry to sound so cryptic. It's just that Valentine's Day is one of my FAVORITE holidays, seriously. I loved celebrating it, in the past. Yet, today, it was a bit different.

And I'll leave you with a poem that I absolutely LOVE, from e.e. cummings that holds a very special place in my heart (it was a poem that was woven into the ceremony when my husband and I had our commitment ceremony since we could not legally marry in Florida):

The Elephant & The Butterfly by e. e. cummings

Once upon a time there was an elephant who did nothing all day.

He lived by himself in a little house away at the very top of a curling road.

From the elephant’s house,this curling road went twisting away down until it found itself in a green valley where there was another little house,in which a butterfly lived.

One day the elephant was sitting in his little house and looking out of his window doing nothing(and feeling very happy because that was what he liked most to do)when along this curling road he saw somebody coming up and up toward his little house;and he opened his eyes wide,and felt very much surprised. “Whoever is that person who’s coming up along and along the curling road toward my little house?” the elephant said to himself.

And pretty soon he saw that it was a butterfly who was fluttering along the curling road ever so happily;and the elephant said: “My goodness, I wonder if he’s coming to call on me?” As the butterfly came nearer and nearer,the elephant felt more and more excited inside of himself. Up the steps of the little house came the butterfly and he knocked very gently on the door with his wing. “Is anyone inside?” he asked.

The elephant was ever so pleased,but he waited.

Then the butterfly knocked again with his wing,a little louder but still very gently,and said: “Does anyone live here,please?”

Still the elephant never said anything because he was too happy to speak.

A third time the butterfly knocked,this time quite loudly,and aksed: “Is anyone at home?” And this time the elephant said in a trembling voice: “I am.” The butterfly peeped in at the door and said: “Who are you,that live in this little house?” And the elephant peeped out at him and answered: “I’m the elephant who does nothing all day.” “Oh,” said the butterfly, “and may I come in?” “Please do,” the elephant said with a smile,because he was very happy. So the butterfly just pushed the little door open with his wing and came in.

Once upon a time there were seven trees which lived beside the curling road. And when the butterfly pushed the door with his wing and came into the elephant’s little house,one of the trees said to one of the trees: “I think it’s going to rain soon.”

“The curling road will be all wet and will smell beautifully,” said another tree to another tree.

Then a different tree said to a different tree: “How lucky for the butterfly that he’s safely inside the elephant’s little house,because he won’t mind the rain.”

But the littlest tree said: “I feel the rain already,” and sure enough,while the butterfly and the elephant were talking in the elephant’s little house away at the top of the curling road,the rain simply began falling gently everywhere;and the butterfly and the elephant looked out of the window together and they felt ever so safe and glad,while the curling road became all wet and began to smell beautifully just as the third tree had said.

Pretty soon it stopped raining and the elephant put his arm very gently around the little butterfly and said: “Do you love me a little?”

And the butterfly smiled and said: “No, I love you very much.”

Then the elephant said: “I’m so happy,I think we ought to go for a walk together you and I:for now the rain has stopped and the curling road smells beautifully.”

The butterfly said: “Yes,but where shall you and I go?”

“Let’s go away down and down the curling road where I’ve never been,” the elephant said to the little butterfly. And the butterfly smiled and said: “I’d love to go with you all the way down and down the curling road—let’s go out the little door of your house and down the steps together—shall we?”

So they came out together and the elephant’s arm was very gently around the butterfly. Then the littlest tree said to his six friends: “I believe the butterfly loves the elephant as much as the elephant loves the butterfly,and that makes me very happy,for they’ll love each other always.”

Down and down the curling road walked the elephant and the butterfly.

The sun was shining beautifully after the rain.

The curling road smelled beautifully of flowers.

A bird began to sing in a bush,and all the clouds went away out of the sky and it was Spring everywhere.

When they came to the butterfly’s house,which was down in the green valley which had never been so green,the elephant said: “Is this where you live?”

And the butterfly said: “Yes,this is where I live.”

“May I come into your house?” said the elephant.

“Yes,” said the butterfly. So the elephant just pushed the door gently with his trunk and they came into the butterfly’s house. And then the elephant kissed the butterfly very gently and the butterfly said: “Why didn’t you ever before come down into the valley where I live?” And the elephant answered, “Because I did nothing all day. But now that I know where you live,I’m coming down the curling road to see you every day,if I may—and may I come?” Then the butterfly kissed the elephant and said: “I love you,so please do.”

And every day after this the elephant would come down the curling road which smelled so beautifully(past the seven trees and the bird singing in the bush)to visit his little friend the butterfly.

And they loved each other always.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th February 2013 at 02:33 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

So sorry to hear that a few of our nicest people are down in the dumps this Valentine's Day. Please be assured you are very much loved, you are all important and things will most definitely start looking up for you. Down the curling road or not. And very very soon. Many hugs and kisses to those who need them the mostest.

Roberto Cavalli Oro this almost tomorrow -- thanks to cello who was raving about it two weeks ago and bogsc who sent me a generous decant.

Quelques fleurs Royale by Houbigant was my V-day scent .
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Quelques fleurs Royale by Houbigant was my V-day scent .
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber