Code of Conduct

Default Forming a collection

Over the past couple of years I have developed quite an interest in fragrances to the point of it becoming a bit of a hobby/obsession. Ultimately, this led me to Basenotes, which I am very glad to have found.

Basically, I'm just looking for some opinions on some fragrances to add to my collection. I have had a bit of a look for Dior Homme Intense in stores to test but have had no luck in finding it in store. Any others that I should consider?

My collection:
    Bvlgari Man
    Calvin Klein Be
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Dolce & Gabbana The One
    Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio
    Hugo Boss Bottled
    Hugo Boss Energize
    Hugo Boss Hugo
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey
    Jacques Bogart Silver Scent
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Marc Jacobs Bang Bang
    Paco Rabanne 1 Million
    Paco Rabanne Black XS
    Thierry Mugler A*Men
    Thierry Mugler B*Men
    Versace Pour Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Nuit

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Forming a collection

I think you have a very good collection. Honestly, Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense are 90% alike (though DHI is sweeter, whereas the original is more masculine). Even if you just get Dior Homme, its a wonderful scent. I suggest you try Midnight In Paris and Gucci Pour Homme II.

Fahrenheit is a classic and great in terms of sillage/longevity, must have if you like leather fragrances.

Tell us what type you want and I can list more.

Aventus without a doubt!

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I guess I'm just looking for any type of fragrance suggestions, maybe also ones which can widen my collections versatility too. I will definitely test out all the ones mentioned thus far!

I'll suggest trying some things from:

Guerlain . . .

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT and the Extreme EDP
    Heritage
    Habit Rouge
    Coriolan

Hermes . . .

Rocabar
    Terre d'Hermes
    Eau d'Orange Verte and Concentre d'Orange Verte

Burberry London

If you enjoy A*Men try Pure Malt and Pure Havane (although different, in some ways they're better).
    Would also suggest Cartier Declaration and Terre d'Hermes.
    And if you like vanilla, Eau des Baux by L'Occitane (very affordable).
    If you want to go more expensive, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille are a great introduction.

I think you have a nice collection. Personally, I would spend money on samples at this point, since you have enough to vary your wears and keep you interested. Branch out and sample all that you can, including niche. Then maybe you will find what you want to add to your collection next.

Good start.
    Now hunt for samples (free from polite sales agents or paid thru BN swap / sample / market)
    My suggestion will be to go to the classic houses next - in the order listed below:
    1 - Hermes - Terre d'Hermes (EDT) Racobar/ Belami
    2 - Chanel Egoist / Pour Monsieur
    & finally
    3 - Guerlain's (PH / Instant etc and many more).
    This will take u 3-6 months to sample, test, choose the finalized bottles to buy and make the hole in your wallet.

Then get a 2nd job b4 jumping to the more complex and multi-note parfum's that will amaze you.

Welcome to BN and may your collection grow!!!

Basenotes Plus

Great suggestions from everyone. I'll add:

Armani Code by Giorgio Armani
    Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Swoboda View Post
    I'll suggest trying some things from:

Guerlain . . .

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT and the Extreme EDP
    Heritage
    Habit Rouge
    Coriolan

Hermes . . .

Rocabar
    Terre d'Hermes
    Eau d'Orange Verte and Concentre d'Orange Verte
    Yeah - this ^
    You'll find some real gems away from the High Street and the above will whet your appetite.

You have a very good selection in various styles, from fresh to warmer gourmand. Perhaps you can explore the classics more, things like Azzaro pour homme, Aramis, Aramis 900 (as well as the others in the Aramis range), and the Carons, if you can find them (ie Caron pour un homme, Troisieme homme, Yatagan).

cacio

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I think sampling many now seems the way to go, however s small part of me is tempted to blind buy DHI, LIDGE and Platinum Egoiste as I'm fairly certain I would enjoy them all. Definitely keen to test out the Creed's as well so I'll look into that.

For what it's worth, in terms of the fragrances I have I think Dolce & Gabbana The One is the best smelling but is let down badly by it's longevity.

Also, very interested in Fahrenheit and TdH. Have smelt the latter and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtractor View Post
    Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I think sampling many now seems the way to go, however s small part of me is tempted to blind buy DHI, LIDGE and Platinum Egoiste as I'm fairly certain I would enjoy them all.
    I have a sample of Platinum Egoiste that I've been trying every now and then but there's a certain note in it that keeps me from buying a bottle. I'd say DHI is a safer blind buy than Platinum Egoiste, just my opinion.

I might recommend Dior Homme original and Platinum Egoiste is nice too. Another great fragrance I received as a gift was Mont Blanc Legend, which I avoided at first because I had some Abercrombie Fierce left, like 5 mls...but, I have to say it is a major compliment getter and I really enjoy it. I initially thought the longevity was lacking, but I was wrong. I can actually get wafts of it throughtout the day and women/men compliment this scent often. It really surprised me in a good way.

I second the recommendations for Fahrenheit and Cartier Declaration, and I'll add Bvlgari Black, an excellent and unique fragrance that is still easy to come by. Guerlain Vetiver is also worth getting to know.

Try any of these and they are different from what you carry:
    Amouage Jubiliation or interlude
    Montale Black Oud, White Oud or Dark Oud
    Creed Royal Oud