Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Challenging Fragrances

Knize Ten and Black Afgano , I am not a fan of at all, the others are wonderful and easily wearable especially in fall/winter.

My whole family loves Black Aoud, and I get lots of compliments on it.

How much Knize Ten did you put on? Less is more with this wonderful fragrance.

Two I personally find challenging are SL Musc Kublai Khan and YSL Kouros. And when I say "challenging" I mean it's a challenge to not throw up on my shoes when I smell them. Just horrid, horrid creations.......

As to those the OP mentioned, I quite liked Black Aoud. Probably just below my "to buy" standard, but in fairness I'm pretty selective and minimalist in my collection. Knize Ten is definitely not my taste, but I could see others liking it. Black Afgano is on my short "to-try list" although at that price for that amount, I kind of hope I don't like it!
    WANTED
    samples of:

Amouge Bracken Man
    MDCI Le Barbier de Tangier
    Mancera Wild Fruits

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I agree! I find it surprisingly challenging. I find myself constantly shifting between love and hate with this one.
    I used to pick up mainly on incense, which I like, and the vanilla, but lately I mainly notice the cumin. Even though it does smell like cumin to me, not body odour, it's one of the few scents where I could see that others might think the smell could come from a failure to bathe. Never thought that about other scents that are sometimes seen as a bit stinky, e.g. Declaration or Yatagan.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Nice reviews, Jack. With the exception of Black Afgano which I never liked and Black Aoud which has way too much rose to my taste, all the others are big winners in my book. With that said, the only one I still find a bit challenging for its sweetness, is Leather Oud.

Knize Ten is my go-to fragrance for whatever occasion. MKK, after the initial blast turns into a beatiful floral musk that's total comfort for me...
    Ditto what you've said with a side bar on Knize Ten. I recently ran out of Xerjoff Homme and bought a bottle of Knize Ten because i thought it would be close enough considering the price difference. I was wrong, Homme is so much better I had to resort to getting in on a split. The new bottle of Knize is no Homme to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Narcisso Rodriguez for him and Amouage Memoir Man. I find them both challenging in that they both force my mood to become somber.

I agree! I find it surprisingly challenging. I find myself constantly shifting between love and hate with this one.

+1 Sombre? They all make me gag. Knize Ten is nice used sparingly, but I prefer Nostalgia. All Nasomatto fragrances seem very synthetic and chemical to me, but all are foghorns.

where are the black afgano fans? it is on many top 10 lists and seem to be hyped up already…………
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Basenotes Member

I love Leather Oud on these freezing, clear mornings. I find it a struggle to wear Memoir Man most of the time, every now and again I can do it but it is definately a challenge!

Knize Ten

Agree on Narcisso Rodriguez for him and Rien.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Agree most of what has been mentioned is an acquired taste, although Fahrenheit and Narciso Rodriguez smelled great to me the first time.

A*Men is quite hard for me to like. The tar and mint seems to make the gourmand side more nauseating.

Lately I have found Amouage Gold Man challenging. I felt like a Russian oligarch all day wearing that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog127 View Post
    Two I personally find challenging are SL Musc Kublai Khan and YSL Kouros. And when I say "challenging" I mean it's a challenge to not throw up on my shoes when I smell them. Just horrid, horrid creations.......
    I agree with you on these two. I am not sure if I am more sensitive to a note/notes in MKK and Kouros, but to me both of those smell like an elderly woman's floral perfume mixed with urine (and some BO thrown in with MKK). I will say that MKK does smell kind of warm and pleasant once the urine and floral notes have subsided.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMaivia View Post
    I agree with you on these two. I am not sure if I am more sensitive to a note/notes in MKK and Kouros, but to me both of those smell like an elderly woman's floral perfume mixed with urine (and some BO thrown in with MKK). I will say that MKK does smell kind of warm and pleasant once the urine and floral notes have subsided.
    A bit like saying a 2003 Ermitage 'Cuvee Cathelin' is "an ok wine" once you open the bottle and let it breathe for a bit...
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver by Carven

I love most of the frags already mentioned and find none of them challenging to wear (except perhaps APLS which feels a bit stickily sweet after a while). I even love Leonesio's Untitled No. 8 and wish it weren't sold out, BUT the skankiest, muskiest, most deeply indolic/animalic scent I've ever tried (and eventually gave up on) is KAMA by Ava Luxe. Whew, what an amazing creation--pure unadulterated filth!

Old thread brought back to life...sweet!

MKK I find it's hard to pick a proper time to wear it, even though I do think it's nice.
    Black Afgano IMO is really challenging so to speak, and don't care for it at all.
    Memoir Man is challenging to describe for me, but easily wearable and fantastical unique!

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I thought I would give my thoughts on a few challenging fragrances and rate them out of 5 for the challenging factor. Also would I wear them to work surrounded by work collegues.lol

Please let us all know if you to find these or other fragrances challenging or not.

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan

At the start of my fragrance journey years ago I tried this and did not like it at all. Years later and today wearing it for the first time in years I do not find it very challenging to my nose and quite like it. I get a nice floral dark muskness with the smell of fur and there seems to be a dryness at the heart of the scent. Like someone wearing a fur jacket on the desert sands.

In fact if someone gave me two vials with one containing MKK and the other Leather Oud and asked which one is worthy of the name Koublai Khan I would go with Leather Oud.

Challenging Factor Out Of 5: 1.5 Wear To Work: Yes

Knize Ten

This is another one I have not sampled in years and have dug out a old sample.

Imagine a truckstop washroom that has been cleaned a few hours ago. As you sniff the air you can smell the oil from the fumes of the trucks just outside mixing in with the florals from the cleaning.

A few bikers come in wearing their leather jackets which they take off to wash their oily hands. The smell of the truckstop washroom is now one of oily leather and powdery soapy florals from the soap and the cleaning a few hours earlier.

This is what I get from this, the first two hours are just oily leather before the soft amber/florals kick in. I had a day off work the other day and wore this out shopping and I could see other people holding their nose when I walked past. A very dirty fragrance, anyone who thinks the petrol/oil vibe is bad in Fahrenheit should check Knize Ten out as it will seperate the men from the boys.lol

Challenging Factor out of 5: 4 Wear to work: Never

Black Afgano

A dark smoky dirty incense with a slight cannabis note which I can pick up along with that hash resin aroma. The Oud in this seems to give the fragrance a slight freshness within the dirty green smoky scent which is joined by tobacco . It's a very interesting fragrance and almost captivating but not one I think I could wear.

Challenging Factor out of 5: 2.5 Wear to work: No

Leather Oud

The oud in this smells like smoky burning wood and the leather is more of a light supple saddle leather. Mixed together with the honey and civet gives you a smoky leathery dark sweet musky scent.

I have a 50ml split of this fragrance and like it very much and it's what MKK should have been. Now the only problem with this scent is if your body temperature rises due to it been a hot day or the aircon at work is on high the civet explodes off your skin.lol And I mean in real fecal way that makes the civet in MKK smell really nice.

Challenging Factor: 3 Wear to work: No way just in case the aircon temp is hot.

Black Aoud

A explosion of overpowering dark medicinal roses that chokes the lifeforce of anyone in the vicinity. I wore this to a family get together one Sunday to give my sample of this a whirl. I felt like a walking bowl of my old aunties potpourri and got so many negative comments from family members. Took me a while to live this one down, never again.

Challenging Factor: 4 Wear To Work: No Way hosay.

Anyway I hope you all enjoyed my fun thoughts on a few fragrances that may be challenging to you.
    I'm with you all the way on Black Aoud. I love it but it really isn't everyone's cup of tea. Really need to get the amount just right. Too little and it doesn't do it justice, too much and it's game over!!
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    A bit like saying a 2003 Ermitage 'Cuvee Cathelin' is "an ok wine" once you open the bottle and let it breathe for a bit...
    Not really the same considering wines don't have foul offensive notes in them that need to dissipate before the wines are even tolerable to drink. I am not going to get in an argument, but it is really disappointing that I put my opinion in a thread that is specifically about "challenging" fragrances and I get the eye roll emoji already...

Narciso Rodriguez for Him or as I call it, the modern day perfected Grey Flannel. Very challenging to wear at first, at least it was for me. Unconventional smell, especially since it's designer. Fals into its own category of synthetic florals I think, or maybe synthetic floral musk? As much I typically dislike floral and musky notes especially in designer frags as they come off cheap, this one is done very well.

A*Men is challenging if you can get past the heavy sourish tar note. I think newer batches have it much more subdued than the originals, so its gotten better. I personally love the tar note, I wish it was amped up more tbh. Gourmands get boring, and this one is interesting, and it's one of the originals too.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMaivia View Post
    Not really the same considering wines don't have foul offensive notes in them that need to dissipate before the wines are even tolerable to drink. I am not going to get in an argument, but it is really disappointing that I put my opinion in a thread that is specifically about "challenging" fragrances and I get the eye roll emoji already...
    Welcome to the rough and tumble world of perfume criticism...No one gets out of here alive.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him or as I call it, the modern day perfected Grey Flannel. Very challenging to wear at first, at least it was for me. Unconventional smell, especially since it's designer. Fals into its own category of synthetic florals I think, or maybe synthetic floral musk? As much I typically dislike floral and musky notes especially in designer frags as they come off cheap, this one is done very well.
    Wore it yesterday on a particularly cold and drizzly day, surrounded by asphalt and concrete. It was perfect, elevating my mood.

I've come across many in my years of collecting, but I would say one really stands out as being 'the most challenging'.
    It takes ages for most people to understand and appreciate this fragrance, but when it finally clicks you are in heaven.
    The fragrance is Ocean Rain from Mario Valentino and was the last and most crowning glory of master perfumer Edmond Roudnitska.

A super complex masterpiece !!!
    Last edited by david; 27th May 2017 at 09:48 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

The most challenging perfume in my book is Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, it smells like a stinky withered rose.

^^^ I happen to love this one and find the rose to be excellent...Not disagreeing with you, just saying my thoughts.

Slumberhouse Mare, Sova and Montale Cuir d'Arabie were tough ones...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Slumberhouse Mare, Sova and Montale Cuir d'Arabie were tough ones...
    Mare for sure, but Sova? Rume was far weirder. Baque was a sledgehammer too.

Sova when it came out was a toughie, not so anymore, but Mare still is. Rume and Baque were very dense but I wouldn't call them challenging...