Code of Conduct

Default Armani Code has to be one of the most underrated fragrances.

I am a little surprised Armani Code doesn't get a little more mention around here. It smells very sexy and class, its very versatile, it has good projection and lasts a full 12 hours on me. I have been wearing it a lot since the weather has cooled down, and I have been getting a TON of compliments. It is very quickly creeping up on my most complimented list.

What are your guys' thoughts on this fragrance?

Default Re: Armani Code has to be one of the most underrated fragrances.

I've owned it multiple times, but the tonka just kills it for me. I actually preferred it in hot weather. Not really a fan.

I own it and I personally like it although I don't wear it as much as I used to

Underrated? Because it isn't hyped to the Nth degree here on BN? Despite it not being discussed much, it has just 24 negative reviews out of a total of 228. That's pretty well-rated in my book.

It's one of the few department store designer frags that has maintained its pricetag for a long time (like AdG has) so surely that suggests it's still selling like hotcakes and rated by consumers as a whole.

I own Armani Code, think it's more than decent, and enjoy it for what it is when I wear it, but I certainly don't think it's underrated.

Remember many (not all) folks here on BN want something a bit different, a bit more daring, perhaps.
    This doesn't have to be from the niche world; Egoiste destroys many current offerings from all segments of the market.

Code is good, sure, but it's a largely ignored part of my collection. I want something more interesting.

I agree with Tim. It's just not talked about much here but casual consumers are crazy over it.

It's a been there and done that fragrance for me. Good for what it is, but the formula has been improved.

I think it is an extremely nice scent, but perhaps not as striking and groundbreaking as a Kouros or a Fahrenheit or a Dior Homme Intense.

Code is a great fragrance! Seems that I had forgotten about it myself, but dug it out from behind all my other scents a few days back and decided to try it again...and instantly remembered why this was one of my fav smells back when I first started to collect 5 or 6 years ago

How does Code Ultimate compare with the original?

My problem with Armani Code is that it starts out pretty good if not great. After a while it begins to become too cloying on me and turns into that "cheap perfume" smell. I think it goes largely unnoticed in this forum because it's always going to be AdG's little brother.

It's not really talked about on BN, but this is actually the fragrance I run into most often in public.

It is a baby powder bomb imo though

It's a decent fragrance. I used to own it, but it has been surpassed both in smell and compliment factor by Midnight in Paris. Smelling them next to each other will make Code irrelevant, trust me.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I think it is an extremely nice scent, but perhaps not as striking and groundbreaking as a Kouros or a Fahrenheit or a Dior Homme Intense.
    1000000000000000000000000000000% THIS, if not more... though I'd change the DHI to Doir Homme (and DHI, frankly, but Dior Homme is more of an overall work of art).

Code is nice.

I'd go so far as to say that it's very nice. But there are so many other very nice fragrances. Code is a best seller, so clearly it's a hit with the mall crowd. That's not a slam. I think there's something to be said for mass appeal, and to be completely honest, I have a lot of respect for perfumers who can create a mass appeal hit. Like it or not, that takes some real talent. My problem with Code is that I don't find it compelling. It's very nice, but unlike the examples freewheelingvagabond gave, Code doesn't wow me again and again over time.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

its nice but it gets boring, when Dior Homme Intense and LIDGE is out there you don't need this. Also the bottle is tacky IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    its nice but it gets boring, when Dior Homme Intense and LIDGE is out there you don't need this. Also the bottle is tacky IMO.
    The 1 Million bottle really lowered the bar as far as tackiness goes. Compared to that, Code's bottle is pure elegance.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I'm sure there was a Code-hype on basenotes (or "intense discussion") at the time it came out or some years after...but in 2013? A lot of water under the bridge. I have a bottle from around 2005 and its main flaw was: promising opening, then fade out. Also, meanwhile I often had to smell it on certain types of "lads" in their early 20's that I can't connect to the scent anymore. Way too common around here.

I like code and think it's a decent scent.

I like it. I don't wear it a lot but it still has "top shelf" privileges and has not ever been considered as a "baskets" candidate

Nah

'Attitude' is the underrated one

You gotta be kind kidding me, so redundant and non appealing and many others better made..not FBW

I recently added Code to my collection. It's a great scent imo. It definitely deserves the hype, because it's done right.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Basenotes Plus

Before Dior Homme, there was Code. Iirc it has had its fair share of 'talk of the town' until 2009. Definitely NOT underrated.

Don't like this one at all. There's a sickly sweetness to it that turns my stomach.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

I own it. It's nice. It's certainly better than any of it's flankers. But, I prefer Attitude.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    I own it. It's nice. It's certainly better than any of it's flankers. But, I prefer Attitude.
    Yes I prefer Attitude also, such a great smell...just wished longevity was better!

I like it.

own it and also own the Ultimate version.
    The Ultimate version is slightly more animalic and deeper.

My rating:

Code: 8/10
    Ultimate Code 8/10
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Basenotes Plus

I didn't care for it at first when I blind bought it but it grew on me. I wouldn't say it's underrated though, it's rated pretty well on both Basenotes and Fragrantica.

I don't think there's anything under rated about it. Isn't it the current best selling men's perfume?

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    ... it's rated pretty well on both Basenotes and Fragrantica.
    Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I don't think there's anything under rated about it. Isn't it the current best selling men's perfume?
    Yeah, but this is Johnny LeMale we're talking to - I know him for his threads openly wondering why more popular designer frags like Le Male and Code aren't discussed here on BN as much as other fragrances, and saying that they're some of the best fragrances out there.

While it's true those he mentions are often quite good for department store fragrances, I wonder how many fragrances available outside a department store he's actually tried.

Hell, even from the fairly standard dept store range, there's a lot out there that are better than Code - Boss #1, Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit and Absolute, Body Kouros, TdH, Havana, Lanvin Homme and Sport, maybe Acteur if you can find it in a store, the Jazzes, I even prefer Eternity Summer, the list really goes on.
    Last edited by timdoeswell; 31st October 2013 at 02:55 AM.

Good stuff. Not amazing, but I have no problem wearing it year round.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Yeah, but this is Johnny LeMale we're talking to - I know him for his threads openly wondering why more popular designer frags like Le Male and Code aren't discussed here on BN as much as other fragrances, and saying that they're some of the best fragrances out there.

While it's true those he mentions are often quite good for department store fragrances, I wonder how many fragrances available outside a department store he's actually tried.

Hell, even from the fairly standard dept store range, there's a lot out there that are better than Code - Boss #1, Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit and Absolute, Body Kouros, TdH, Havana, Lanvin Homme and Sport, maybe Acteur if you can find it in a store, the Jazzes, I even prefer Eternity Summer, the list really goes on.
    I've tried plenty of fragrances. Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The 1 Million bottle really lowered the bar as far as tackiness goes. Compared to that, Code's bottle is pure elegance.
    I am not a fan of One Million but I dont mind the bottle. Code's shampoo bottle design and tacky Dr Seuss lettering ruin it for me. Fragrance is nice but again they are better options in the market.

That was the most patronising post I've read in a while.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    That was the most patronising post I've read in a while.
    Wait til the May-October posts are populated - I'm sure I can find you something worse.

Wait til the May-October posts are populated - I'm sure I can find you something worse.
    LOL. Don't get me wrong, Tim, I find your posts both entertaining and informative, but think that you making assumptions regarding the OP's level of experience a little off.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

I like not love Code but overall I think Armani fragrances are underrated! Sure Code and Acqua Di Gio exploded but there other stuff is great also. I've also been very impressed Prive line.

I think it WAS great, but now since I've smelled so many vanilla oriental style fragrances, it puts Code in the dust really. There are far better choices to me, like Eau des Baux, Body Kouros, Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge, and others. I just have too many fragrances in that "sexy vanilla/tonka oriental" genre that Code is just boring. But, definitley for a small collection, it's something to have.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)