Code of Conduct

Default Mancera Black to Black

hello everyone

i have recently received samples of Mancera Black to Black with my last purchase.
    have anyone tried it or heard of it? no information about it so far.
    it smells very reminiscent of montale's medicinal oud-rose combos with saffron ,i think.

Default Re: Mancera Black to Black

If it's anything like By Caroline's "Back to Back", I'm not interested :P
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Don't recall this particular name. A new release?

yes, they told me its a new release

Apparently this is a Montale's cheaper version but the same quality from my friends in the Mid East. NOT FOR SALE in N.AMERICA
    I've sent mutiple requests to all their email id's and no response ever...
    In Canada, Naz @ theperfumeshoppe.com has the same issue, she's tried as a retailer a few times and they dont bother...

Hedonist said the opposite , that the fragrances are more balanced than Montales, and he is an expert on this. He even discovered the whole sham Montale was running.

I've tried 2 from the house and both smell similar to Montale fragrances. I've heard that Pierre Montale is the consultant for this brand. Coincidentally, the nose of this brand is also named Pierre, Pierre Mancera, so go figure

Mancera's Rose Vanille smells like Montale's Roses Musk with a lot of vanilla added. Their The Aoud also smells like one of the aoud fragrances from Montale

Mancera fragrances don't get enough credit due to the constant comparison and conspiracies with Montale and most people that have used them have high praises for what they are. I would love if we can get more objective reviews of the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Mancera fragrances don't get enough credit due to the constant comparison and conspiracies with Montale and most people that have used them have high praises for what they are. I would love if we can get more objective reviews of the line.

Have had this now for about 4 months in my collection. Got it from Universal Perfume and Cosmetics. A very nice spicy and woody scent with a nice amber dry down.

(3416)
    Last edited by hednic; 25th January 2014 at 07:46 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A very nice spicy and woody scent with a nice amber dry down.

(2416)
    A great description. This could be an amber worth looking at!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

How about Blue Aoud? Anyone has tested it?

Enviado do meu Galaxy Note usando TapaTalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuyer View Post
    How about Blue Aoud? Anyone has tested it?
    I posted some impressions a couple of weeks ago in the thread linked below. Amazing what happens when you use the Search button!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...ight=blue+aoud

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I posted some impressions a couple of weeks ago in the thread linked below. Amazing what happens when you use the Search button!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...ight=blue+aoud
    My fault! Thanks for the input.

Enviado do meu Galaxy Note usando TapaTalk 4

im not a fan of this one. smells synthetic.

Just made my first purchase of Mancera and bought Black Line and Sand Aoud.

Was unfortunately informed that Sand Aoud is out of stock - so the question is should I get Black to Black or Cedrat Boise in lieu?

Basenotes Member

cedrat boise is the best so far in their entire line in my opinion. i have a collection of a few of their others . but the cedrat boise is the god damn king and its starting to catch on . thers a few more i want to get like wave musk , aoud cafe, black intensitive .kumkat wood , roses jasmine and black line
    wild fruits isnt that good i expected that to be really good but it wasnt .

Quote Originally Posted by Klaaon View Post

Was unfortunately informed that Sand Aoud is out of stock - so the question is should I get Black to Black or Cedrat Boise in lieu?
    Both of these are very nice IMO and own both. Depending on where you are located, Black to Black is impossible to find in the States. Seems to only have been released in the Middle East and can be purchased from a vendor there. If you have the ability to get that, I'd get that as it's rarer.
    Last edited by hednic; 3rd March 2014 at 04:30 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Have had this now for about 4 months in my collection. Got it from Universal Perfume and Cosmetics. A very nice spicy and woody scent with a nice amber dry down.

(3416)
    I'm considering buying this. Could you tell me anything else with regards to similarities to any other fragrance, performance etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ScentedBlood View Post
    I'm considering buying this. Could you tell me anything else with regards to similarities to any other fragrance, performance etc?
    There's a seller in the UK on Ebay selling a sample of this. Perhaps that might be the best thing to do before blind buying a bottle like I did. I'm not that good at describing notes so I don't want to steer you wrong. Longevity and projection are both very good IMO. To me it just smells different from all the others in the Mancera line.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANCERA-BLAC...item27d9910f7e

Thanks. I may have to leave my blind buying days behind me!

Own Cedrat Boise and Rose Vanille. Really like these two. Great purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Own Cedrat Boise and Rose Vanille. Really like these two. Great purchases.
    I'm trying to get my hands on Cedrat Boise. Seems like one of the most liked out of this house. Already have Sand Aoud which is quality.

Check out Universal Perfumes. You should be able to get it from them. They ship out pretty fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScentedBlood View Post
    I'm trying to get my hands on Cedrat Boise. Seems like one of the most liked out of this house. Already have Sand Aoud which is quality.

We have a few bottles of Mancera and are impressed with the quality of their fragrances. Black To Black just happened to slip into the shopping bad while I was ordered some Perris Monte Carlo fragrances, but what the heck. Does anyone have more information about this fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
    We have a few bottles of Mancera and are impressed with the quality of their fragrances. Black To Black just happened to slip into the shopping bad while I was ordered some Perris Monte Carlo fragrances, but what the heck. Does anyone have more information about this fragrance?
    Newer impressions of the bottle I own, and while I don't know what the official notes are or the pyramid, what I get out of it is lemon, mint, amber and oud. You'll need to determine for yourself what you can ascertain once you receive it. I really like it. Hope you do too.
    Last edited by hednic; 13th May 2014 at 02:47 AM.

Newer impressions of the bottle I own, and while I don't know what the official notes are or the pyramid, what I get out of it is lemon, mint, amber and oud. You'll need to determine for yourself what you can ascertain once you receive it. I really like it. Hope you do too.
    Thanks for the update; it's much appreciated. I love all the notes you listed...just hope they're agreeable to my scent palate I have been impressed with the quality of the Mancera fragrances we've tried---which numbers around ten or so---even the rose/oud/chocolate ones which weren't my style, but that I could appreciate. The one exception was Kumkat wood. It has a pleasant light-cedar scent, but the amber and cedar were too far in the background and it didn't last or project like the other Mancera fragrances do on my skin. Fortunately, my wife usually like wearing the fragrances that I find too soft or feminine so I'm sure this one will find a good home. I just wish more information about this fragrance was available. C'est la vie.

I'm 6-hours into the dry-down and really enjoy this fragrance. I only applied a single spray (very potent stuff the first couple hours) so I'm not going to post my comments until I get to spend some more time with this fragrance over the weekend.

Hednic did Aoud Line develop more after it was on your skin. Or was it just a Camphorous Oud the whole time?? No other notes stuck out ( rose, patchouli ,etc)

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Hednic did Aoud Line develop more after it was on your skin. Or was it just a Camphorous Oud the whole time?? No other notes stuck out ( rose, patchouli ,etc)
    Mostly camphorous and oudy until well in the dry down and then it turned a bit sweet and fruity. It's funny because I just looked at the notes as I had no idea what they were and saw that raspberry is listed as one of the notes listed in the base. That just might be the sweetness I detected that cut through the somewhat medicinal smell after hours. Hope you get the chance to sample it.

Mostly camphorous and oudy until well in the dry down and then it turned a bit sweet and fruity. It's funny because I just looked at the notes as I had no idea what they were and saw that raspberry is listed as one of the notes listed in the base. That just might be the sweetness I detected that cut through the somewhat medicinal smell after hours. Hope you get the chance to sample it.
    Sounds like Body Kouros . I dont think this one is as good as Black Line, though which is wonderful.

Basenotes Plus

Just received my Black to Black

First impressions are what I was expecting - it has that 'Montale' type opening but it is toned down a bit and a touch softer. After that, there is Rose and Wood with a sweetness hidden in the back somewhere - unfortunately, I am not able to decipher the actual note as my nose is still in training

Overall though, first impressions are good but I do have a soft spot for Montale and Mancera type fragrances in general

Edit - turns out that there are dried fruits in the pyramid somewhere, this is the sweetness at a guess, Blackcurrant maybe?

Starting to think that there is a big similarity to Aoud Lime
    Last edited by yarn; 14th June 2014 at 10:37 AM.

I wasn't going to post my "Random Thoughts" about this fragrance until I had more time to spend with it. However, I'm leaving for vacation in a couple days so here's what I have...plus, I can always revise my opinion. Again, I can't find a note breakout so this is purely my initial take after having worn it once (one-half spray) and now shooting a full-spray on my wrist.

Random Thoughts:

Mancera Black To Black is a very nice spicy-wood scent with a creamy-amberesque dry-down. The reason I say amberesque is because I am not really certain there is any amber in this fragrance - it just has that amber dry-down feeling but different for lack of a better term. B2B opens in a loud woodsy-oody-dark-amber way..and it's spicy. I detect some citrus notes (my sinus has that citrus twitch) but I can pick it or them out since the spices, wood, amber and oud blend are so powerful.

Ten minutes later and I'm beginning to detect a rose. It comes out a bit stronger over time, but it's taking a backseat to the spices/wood/oud/amber which, as mentioned, are just loud and projecting like a beast. Okay, I really love this kind of opening but the three women in my family did not want me around during the opening. Of course, they don't like oud fragrances such as Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial, Montale Aoud Lime, etc. Overall, I felt the oud was full-flavored but certainly not overly medicinal nor pungent. Still...this opening has a kick to it.

The rose feels deep/dark/rich but slightly-muted and not overly-bright. Could this be the Turkish Delight Rose Sebastian (ManLovesCologne) spoke of in Mancera Black Intensitive Aoud? I don't know...but it came to life during the mid (although never a primary note) and then slowly faded to black, or in this case Black To Black. Yep, I'm now playing Metallica's Fade To Black while sniffing my wrist and this fragrance makes perfect sense now...well, at least to me.

As mentioned, this fragrance starts out warm-spicy and continues that way through the middle (when that rose thing happens) and, call me crazy, but I feel as though I am being beaten about the head and shoulders with roots of vetiver...yet, I can't actually smell any vetiver. I just have a sense there is now a slightly more earthy feel to this fragrance and it seems logical that vetiver would be the catalyst for holding things together and providing the woody feeling. I was also thinking there may be some coriander tossed-in, but that's just a wishful guess. The opening, coupled with that rich-dirty rose thing, is too strong for me to detect other notes...and they may just be well-blended. Who knows!

One little half-spray projected like a beast for the first 90-minutes. Also, the fragrance sits oily on my skin...very oily, although this is not atypical for this kind of fragrance. Moreover, is there a pink/white pepper thing which gives B2B the spicyness/zing? I can make-out these notes...although the spray on my wrist started to gag me more than hour after the opening. After an hour and 15-minutes I started to sense a lemony note - but it really doesn't smell like lemon if that makes any sense. The scent (1-spray) is still so strong it is making my eyes water if I sniff too long. Anyway, my wife walked into the room a short while ago and she she said she smells "rose and one of those little oranges" from across the room. Okay, there man be other citrus notes but I'm going with mandarin.

After 4-5 hours B2B is mainly amber, light-oud with a creamy wood and musky vibe; the spice has toned way down and there is a very faint rose in the distant background and perhaps even a whisper of vanilla may be coming out in this one. That's what I detect...just not sure if there is any amber or vanilla in this fragrance since it's more of a feeling than one of those A Ha! moments. Although I loved the first few hours (some won't) the dry-down and really quite nice and pleasant...most people should enjoy this phase of Black To Black.

I'm pretty sure this fragrance will go 10+ hours on my skin. It fills a room for the first 90-minutes, is heavy for 4-5 hours, but then sits pretty close to the skin after that when it does it's creamy amber thing. Again, I'm not completely sure...these are just my random thoughts on Mancera's Black To Black.

Notes: (purely my guess)

Top Notes: Mandarin/Lemon, Spices (lots of em)
    Middle Notes: Rose, Patchouli
    Base Notes: Aoud, Amber, Vanilla, Musk
    Last edited by riffjim4069; 14th June 2014 at 07:33 PM.

Anyway, I just found a site that lists the following notes...just not sure an Australian Facebook site is a definitive source, and a disagree with a couple things listed. Then again, I didn't spend that much time with this one so what do I know!

http://facebook.feelingsexy.com.au/b...mancera-19132/

Top notes: Sparkling Bergamot, Aldehydic Note, Saffron Powder, & Clove.
    Mid notes: Rose & Jasmine, Leaves of Geranium & Patchouly Ambery notes.
    Base notes: Leather, Sandalwood, White Musk, Gaiacwood, Precious Oud.

• Bergamot and Aldehydes - sure, that could give it the citrus/lemon/mandarin thing I noticed buried in the loud opening
    • Saffron & Clove - I don't detect 'em, but it is a spicy fragrance...and what the heck is saffron powder?
    • Jasmine and Geranium - I don't smell 'em, but perhaps they combine with the dominant rose note
    • Patchouly Ambery notes - patchouli...sure, amber...yes, but what is patchouly ambery notes?
    • Sandalwood - the dry-down is a bit creamy so I can believe it...just don't smell it
    • Leather - I didn't think so...but I'm smelling the small area on my skin it was applied 20-hours ago and it could smell leathery
    • White Must - for sure
    • Gaiacwood - not noticeable but could add to the dark-woody vibe
    • Precious Oud - no doubt

Anyway, my next wearing (and first full-wearing) should be interesting now that I have something more specific in mind. Thoughts and options? According to my wife and daughter B2B is a "Stinkfest" and "Hell on Wheel" and "...almost as bad as that Burnt-Out Whore House cologne" (wife was referring to Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial (a gem IMO).
    Last edited by riffjim4069; 14th June 2014 at 08:47 PM.

Fragrance notes,

Quote Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
    Anyway, I just found a site that lists the following notes...just not sure an Australian Facebook site is a definitive source

http://facebook.feelingsexy.com.au/b...mancera-19132/

Thanks for this. Have had a bottle of this for more than a year now and never knew what the notes were.