Code of Conduct

Default Mona di Orio's coffret collection. Sample reviews

A while back I asked what coffret to buy myself. I decided to go for Mona di Orio's collection. I am wearing them now and sampling one by one. I looked at the eight fragrances that come as small rollerball bottles and wondered which to try first and in what order. To make it simple I am just going left to right as they were presented in the coffret.

I am not a reviewer and don't have the knowledge of how every single ingredient used in perfumery smells. All I can do is give my impressions of each scent and comment on the notes I do recognise. Complete amateur at reviewing here. Here are my impressions so far on those I have worn. More reviews and impressions will follow as I work my way through the coffret...

Les Nombres d’Or Ambre: Very powdery and sweet amber on me, but it takes a while for the amber to become apparent. Very long lasting and obviously a quality frag but quite feminine. Eventually the powdery facet calms down but not soon enough for me. I so appreciate the artistry behind this luscous scent but the powdery nature drives me away. As much as I like this it is not something I see myself wearing very often. Made for a woman...not unisex at all in my mind.

Les Nombres d’Or Musc: Kind of sweet for a musk. Moderate sillage and longevity. Not terribly distinct in my mind and a bit too "clean" for my taste. Leans feminine. Quality, but I prefer a dirtier musk. MKK for example.

Les Nombres d’Or Cuir: Leather, leather, leather and a bit of smoke at the beginning. Something in here that is a bit sharp in the nose, perhaps the wormwood. And animalic too. One of the best leathers out there. Quite realistic leather and worthy.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: Mona di Orio's coffret collection. Sample reviews

I started looking at this line as well in terms of samples. Appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts/impressions!

Curious to hear your take on Vanille, the standout in the line imo.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 14th February 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Excellent post, envious of your acquisition!

Looking forward to your reports on Vetyver and Oud.

Love their scents.

Les Nombres d’Or*Vetiver: A dry and delicious vetiver sweetened a bit with ginger and some sort of citrus. I am not a vetiver fan for the most part but this one is nice. Projection seems to be light and longevity could be better I think. I seem to be detecting a similarity in Mona's scents. All are well crafted for sure. There seems be be a touch of sweetness in all her scents I have sampled. Can't put my finger on what it is but there is something similar in what I have tried so far. Sadly only a few hours later this is a skin scent. Does the rollerball effect longevity or silage? Perhaps. Loving the exploration.

- - - Updated - - -

Les Nombres d’Or Vanille: Now this one is good! The vanilla is perhaps not the major player here but certainly to the front, but this is so much more. There is spice and gaiac wood and sandalwood mixed in and I detect some musk too. Sillage is good and the longivity is also good. This one is complex and ballanced. Need to wear rhis one more but so far I find this to be an awsome scent.

- - - Updated - - -

Les Nombres d’Or Vanille: Now this one is good! The vanilla is perhaps not the major player here but certainly to the front, but this is so much more. There is spice and gaiac wood and sandalwood mixed in and I detect some musk too. Sillage is good and the longivity is also good. This one is complex and ballanced. Need to wear rhis one more but so far I find this to be an awsome scent.
    Last edited by Akahina; 15th February 2013 at 08:16 PM.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!