Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Back Up Bottles- When, Why and How Many?

Never!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Never. Life's way too short to obsess over such trivial matters.
    +1
    There are hundreds of lovely scents on the market ready to be discovered.

I don't actively look to back up perfumes but if , along the way, I find something I like thats been discontinued I'll buy it.

Life isn't that short.

for swap/sale:

I think its the fear of it being discontinued or not having easy access for the bottle.
    I have a back up bottle of Pure Malt (cant find this in Canada) and a back up 4oz bottle of Creed Aventus (Z01 Batch)

Guerlainista

Most people seem to be just saying what they have backups of rather than answering the OPs questions.

I own backups of a number of things. I'll take a stab at it.

When - when I realize I like something enough to not want to be without it.

Why - well, obviously to know I will have it in the future. Also, it generally has to be something that is increasing in price, so that if my tastes change I can ebay it and get my money back. That usually means its sought after and near discontinuation or recently reformulated. I like DHI, but I won't back it up until something happens to it.

How many - figure out how quickly you are going through it, and get enough to last as long as you want to have it, if you can afford it.

That's how I ended up with a few liters of vintage Habit Rouge.

- - - Updated - - -

Another reason - at the rate that ingredients are being restricted, everything will soon be a watered down cocktail of a few hypoallergenic aromachemicals mixed in slightly different ratios. Buy real perfume while you can. In the future we hoarders will be swapping amongst each other in an underground black market while the "no backup" crowd will be looking at a myriad of variations of Eau de Jack S#!t on the shelves, trying to decide which homeopathic concoction to plunk down $100 for.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

75 ml LIDGE

Some of my back ups...

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Some of my back ups...

Nice! Its all here just backups? You sure love some of your stuff Just store them properly and enjoy.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Most people seem to be just saying what they have backups of rather than answering the OPs questions.

Why - well, obviously to know I will have it in the future. Also, it generally has to be something that is increasing in price, so that if my tastes change I can ebay it and get my money back. That usually means its sought after and near discontinuation or recently reformulated. I like DHI, but I won't back it up until something happens to it.

How many - figure out how quickly you are going through it, and get enough to last as long as you want to have it, if you can afford it...

Another reason - at the rate that ingredients are being restricted, everything will soon be a watered down cocktail of a few hypoallergenic aromachemicals mixed in slightly different ratios. Buy real perfume while you can. In the future we hoarders will be swapping amongst each other in an underground black market while the "no backup" crowd will be looking at a myriad of variations of Eau de Jack S#!t on the shelves, trying to decide which homeopathic concoction to plunk down $100 for.
    I couldn't have put it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

How many - figure out how quickly you are going through it, and get enough to last as long as you want to have it, if you can afford it.

That's how I ended up with a few liters of vintage Habit Rouge.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree

Only backup I have right now is Pure Havane, can't find it in Canada and love this one so much.

Nah, I can't even picture finishing most of my bottles. And by the time I do, I may not be as enthusiastic and fragrances. And if I was, I am probably more interested in trying new stuff rather than getting another bottle of something I've been using for years. At least for now, I don't see a reason to buy an old bottle rather than a newer one.

I have a backup of Jaipur EDP, thats all.
    Probably will have one for Hermes Rocabar sometime in the future, and thats all.
    Too many in the market, to be doing backups.

Oh this thread brought up a recent painful memory.

I have one bottle of vintage M7, and recently while browsing through an out-of-the-way bazaar came across a shop that had a dusty looking box. The batch code checked out and I bought it. I opened it right there, lo and behold, out came a clear glass bottle with a brown sticker! And a completely different batch code underneath. I took the issue up with the shopkeeper but to no avail. And to top it off, it wasn't even *real* reformulated M7, but a knockoff!

(and to top that off, I got mugged on my way back home, guy took my phone and all cash, but left the blasted refilled repacked knockoff!)

So I haven't had a backup yet, but I'm thinking about LIDGPH, it's really grown on me as a signature.
    Maybe a tin or two of rive gauche as its dirt cheap.

I own 2 100ml backups of Gucci PH II and 1 75ml backup of LIDGE. Why ? Because Gucci PH II is probably discontinued and is my signature and most versatile scent. LIDGE because it could be my winter signature and I am afraid that it will be screwed with reformulations. I could easy live without 90% of my collection (and am actually planing to do it) but not without this 2. Its better to use scents that you love (and support companies by buying bottles of that scent) than have many average scents that you wear once per 2 months or are forcing to wear just because you own them. Life is too short...
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by engar View Post
    +1
    There are hundreds of lovely scents on the market ready to be discovered.
    I would not say so. The more I sample more I appreciate what I have found and consider to be gems. There are hundreds of medicore scents on market but only few that are real 10/10.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 5th March 2014 at 11:52 AM.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Recently it happened to me that after purchasing B*Men, I got to love it so much that I couldn't risk not having an extra bottle, so now I have two. The only other frag that instigated that emotion was Gucci Envy for men, also 2 bottles of it..

I have back-ups of a number of bottles. There are just some scents that I wouldn't want to live without. I don't want to look back and remember seeing my most beloved fragrances being sold for insane money knowing I could have had them at a reasonable price had I acted.

Some of BN's most revered scents have been or will be reformulated due to 1) cutting cost or 2) IFRA restrictions. The incredible scents of yester-year are long gone, and it seems as though all we're left with is a hollow rendition of what once was.

If you really enjoy scent(s) of a particular vintage, I feel that owning a back-up or 2 is an insurance policy. I see what some of my favorite scents of the 80's and 90's are going for now, and I wish I'd invested when the getting was good... Timing is everything...

Cheers!
    Last edited by checkmate; 24th May 2014 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Elaborated
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Two ADP Assoluta's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have backups of Rive Gauche, Pure Malt and Body Kouros.

You have to love the scent and the price has to be right for YOU.

I love Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee, I was able to pick up tester bottles with no cap, and reuse the wood cap I have from a retail bottle. I couldnt say no @ $35 each. I have 3 backups

I also really enjoy Midnight in Paris EDP, I have one backup due to the large bottle size.

Not sure why I picked up a backup of Guerlain Homme Intense, I enjoy it, but that may have been a hasty move. Lesson learned!
    For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 8/20

Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee
    Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003