Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Back Up Bottles- When, Why and How Many?

So, I was just thinking to myself the other day. When do you guys go out and buy back up bottles. When is a fragrance so special to you that you know you have to have another bottle as back up? This idea came to be as I was smelling my original formulation of Dior Homme Sport and how much I enjoy that scent. Even though its 90% full, I am wondering if I should try to find a back up bottle or just deplete that bottle and buy the reformulated version. The problem is I don't know when that would be. But anyways, enough about me, what are your experiences with back up bottles?

Cheers,

Default Re: Back Up Bottles- When, Why and How Many?

The only back up I ever purchased so far was Gucci Pour Homme II. Great scent, decent price.

The only back up bottles I own are 4 of the vintage 100ml Gengis Khan

Back up bottles of vintage M7. Never want to run out and the price just goes up as it becomes harder to find. No need or desire to have any other back up bottles.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I have 2 backups of original Dior Homme, and will likely grab a couple cans of Rive Gauche before they're gone. If you really like DHS you should act fast cuz it won't be around for much longer.

I've got 4 3.4 oz bottles of DHI reform, and 1 vintage left. It's too amazing to ever be without. Too hard to get a bottle of since its not available at most places. Plus if they ever discontinued it I would cry.

I've got 3 big bottles of vintage D&G ph.

3 back ups of Chergui.

3 bottles of Aventus.

3 Millesime Imperial

2 LIDGE

And 3 Versace Dreamers

This is the stuff I wear always and I can't be without. Might as well stock up!

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Money permitting, I usually have a backup bottle of my favorite frags in my collection. It makes me feel better to know that I won't run out any time soon. I also tend to buy backup bottles the moment I hear that a fragrance that I own and like has been discontinued, or when a significant reformulation has occured (such as L'artisan Voleur de Roses as a recent example).

I actually went through my collection the other day and made a list of stuff that I need to stock up on before it gets discontinued or reformulated (if it hasnt already been). I am still in the process of editing though.

I have a backup of:

Creed Royal English Leather
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Dior Homme Sport (2008)
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    Dirty English
    Mugler Pure Malt
    Mugler Pure Havane
    by Kilian Straight to Heaven

I will be picking up a backup of Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche soon. And probably several other this summer...

1 of Vintage Zino Davidoff.
    30ml Amber Absolute.
    Seeking a backup bottle if Carven Homme.

Primarily because these are discontinued. Though I imagine it will take some time before I use up the primary bottles, I would hate to find that they are impossible to find or impossibly expensive once I do run out.
    Last edited by srellim1; 15th February 2013 at 03:15 AM.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

I wish I could get more good bottles of vintage D&G ph. Out of about 7 bottles I've purchased, only 3 actually were still nice and fresh.

Out of the regular market parfums (excluding mass marketed parfums) that get rated 10 on 10 (collectively on BN / other fragrance forums) - Knize 10, few Serge Lutens, vintage Guerlains, andy Tauer LDDM, Parfum d'Nicolai's NY EDT, MPDGantier's line, exclusive's from Chanel / Dior / Parfumerie Generale to name a few - who knows which among these will b'com the next Jean Patou PH - that's discontinued & not available online / stores? or sells at a ransom ???

& parfum houses with 1 grt or unique hit (example IMO - Or Black from Pascal Morabito - many other such examples exist)

& any renowned parfum house's extrait's that are typically ltd editions.

& Thierry Mugler limited editions - (even if they aren't 10/10 for many, including myself, they sell for almost double their original cost within 6-8 months of their release)

(as fyi, Serge Lutens cuir mauresque is apparently discontinued now, however readily available online)

I would like to have 1500ml back up of my three favorites. This should be a lifetimes supply.

Building up that reserve takes time.

Why do I want that much jucie? Because I want the original to last my life, and not reformulations that lack richness and depth.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Dior Homme Intense.
    This is the only back up I ever purchased. I found a very good offer for a 100ml sealed box from 2009.

I only get back-up bottles when they are going cheap to very cheap, which usually indicates they're on their way to discontinuation.

Though the last back-ups I bought were as a result of a typing error, when I bought two 125mm bottles of Tabarome Millesime which were mysteriously going for $67 each on a web site, while all the other similar Creeds were $167.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I only get back-up bottles when they are going cheap to very cheap, which usually indicates they're on their way to discontinuation.

Though the last back-ups I bought were as a result of a typing error, when I bought two 125mm bottles of Tabarome Millesime which were mysteriously going for $67 each on a web site, while all the other similar Creeds were $167.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I'm looking to get back ups of vintage Eau d'Hermes and Helmut Lang EdC. If the version I'm loving isn't discontinued, I never buy back ups.

Basenotes Member

I have back up bottles, plenty of gucci envy, Pour homme one, edition blanche, dior homme... But I just realise i will never going to use them all, so I am selling most of them. I don't want to own more then 20 bottles (100ml)

I own a few backup bottles of A*Men: Taste of Fragrance and just bought 100ml of Gucci PH II. It is "me in the bottle" and all girlfriends were crazy about it so I can not be without it.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I have 3 Backup bottles of DHI (Original) and 1 bottle of Versace Dreamer.

The only backup I have is Creed Vetiver 48. Ate the moment I have about 600 ml of this juice!! Simply my favourite Creed

Banned
    Blog Entries

None. As I don't have a signature scent, all of my bottles will last me a lifetime?

As many as possibly, but honestly speaking, reasonably functional and affordable considering my current fragrance habits, 3-4 full 100 ml+ bottles and only of the few my absolute favorites in my wardrobe would largely do.

Millesime Imperiale x 75ml
    Fahrenheit x 50ml
    Burberry London x 100ml
    Gucci Pour Homme II x 100ml
    Rive Gauche (Tin Can) x 125ml

One back up Bottle of Krizia Uomo
    One back up bottle of Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men.

I used to have bunches, but now I'm thinning my collection and only have one small backup of Dior Homme original, and one bottle of a nice smelling batch of Millesime Imperial. When they're gone, they're gone.

Aiming to focus on no more than 20 bottles at a given time.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

A friend of mine has, and I could see with my eyes, 15 bottles of YSL M7.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    15 Bottles could last someone a few liftetimes. He must really love the scent. Currently I don't have any back ups, but if they were ever discontinue Chanel Allure EB or VIW, I'd have to pounce on some back up bottles for sure.

Blog Entries

Two back-up bottles of vintage M7 by YSL, and a used back-up bottle of Envy for Men by Gucci.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    Good Lord...*choke*

I have 2 bottles of Vintage M7. The rest I can live without.

Back up bottles might be used for brands that reformulate often, signature scents you don't want to lose, scents that are about to be discontinued or produced in few amounts, and of course classic/vintages with great value.
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

When: When you find it for a really good deal.
    Why: Because I can't justify any other reason to buy a backup.
    How many: 0-1

So far I only own a Egoiste Backup. But will definitely get more of the stuff I love as a backup.

I have quite a few back-up bottles, but I never buy more than one of any particular fragrance since my collection is so large. I buy them when I can get a great deal or when they are being discontinued. I don't back-up everything either, only my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I have quite a few back-up bottles, but I never buy more than one of any particular fragrance since my collection is so large. I buy them when I can get a great deal or when they are being discontinued. I don't back-up everything either, only my favorites.
    I do a similar thing. If I get amazing deal, I buy something and store I away for another time. Bought MI last week on a great deal, it has gone into storage as I have enough open frags to last meat the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by noseferatu View Post
    15 Bottles could last someone a few liftetimes. He must really love the scent. Currently I don't have any back ups, but if they were ever discontinue Chanel Allure EB or VIW, I'd have to pounce on some back up bottles for sure.
    15 bottles is enough to last a decade, but a lifetime?

The biggest reason to back up now is because we never know when there will be a reformulation.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Basenotes Plus

Never. Life's way too short to obsess over such trivial matters.

only back up on my favs

don't like reformulation or discontinued on the frags that i love

back up bottles that i have are

sycamore, leather oud, musc tonkin and pdn new york
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Never. Life's way too short to obsess over such trivial matters.

You're totally right about that - but at times I've gotten caught up in the moment of saying "OH I LOVE THIS SO MUCH HAVE TO HAVE A BACK UP" without good logic behind it...then end up never using the first bottle I've gotten better at this.

I did go for backup on vintage Dior Homme since it's discontinued... that on I don't regret.

I'll consider getting a backup if my first one was a small (< 5 mL) or medium (7-8 mL) mini, or a decant of any size, because I know that they can evaporate over the years. I find it almost impossible to predict which decants will evaporate, even among those from the same source. Still, I'll just backup a decant with another decant if I can't find a bottle under 30 mL available, because even if I love the stuff I still don't want 50 mL.

That being said, I have a few commercial 15 mL spray minis that I bought two of because I was convinced at the time that they'd be my all-time favorite and I was used to buying 30 mL bottles.

I frankly have too long of a rotation lineup, so over the years, I've gotten less and less attached to some of my "favorite" scents. Even if everything I own FBs or decants of gets discontinued, I have enough interesting vials that are just begging for me to buy a FB of, that I'd replace FBs with those. Many are niche and (hopefully) less prone to reformulation or discontinuation.

I only have backups for three:

Rive Gauche PH - 2 backups of the tin can because I love it, it's inexpensive and they are not making it anymore.
    Tuscany per uomo - 1 backup bottle of the original formula. Awesome stuff
    Fahrenheit - 1 backup just because I love it, and my wife got me a gift set for Christmas

Never. No point. None.

Banned
    Blog Entries

aramis bermuda tonic. minotaure. issey miyake and prada

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Never. No point. None.
    There is when you have MPG's distribution record - you might never see them again.. So backed up Santal Noble and Grain de Plaisir a few years ago.

I would love a backup of Gucci Envy so I feel like I could actually use it. That and more Tribute. That might be it.

Vintage bottles of:
    • Antaeus 1
    • Macassar (4 vintage, 1 reformulated)
    • Eau de Rochas ph 6
    • Envy for men 3
    • Ungaro III 1
    • DHI 2

Kouros Fraicheur 2
    Boss Spirit 2
    Gucci Nobile 1

Because i love their smell and my tastes are quite permanent. And i hate the idea that i'd run off something (not just fragrances.). In fact i get nearly physically sick just by thinking of such scenario.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I get back-ups of stuff that I love and that it's not particularly easy to find.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Had a backup bottle of Il Profumo - Musc Bleu, unfortunately switched the opened bottle for Rancé - Josephine. That turned out to be a disapointment since the Rancé bottle had been stored without care and therefore had turned from green flowers to glue.

When/if my interest in sampling fragrances fade or at least settles into normal proportions I will invest in backups of my most beloved fragrances. Or at least that is what I'd wish - I'll have to save some money to be able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Never. No point. None.
    Let's say hypothertically speaking that Gucci Pour Homme were your favourite fragrance of all time and you knew it was soon to be discontinued and you could still get 100ml for circa £50.00, would the fact that your options now that it actually is discontinued are a.) Go without your favourite fragrance of all time or b.) have to pay > £100 for that same bottle, would you then see more point?

I have a 100ml backup of the reformulated Dior Homme Intense and a 50ml bottle of the vintage juice. 3 bottles total. I have backups because it is my #1 all time favorite scent and I will never be without it. If it ever reaches the verge of discontinuation, I will most definitely pick up another 2-3 bottles.

1 100ml backup of Gucci Pour Homme II due to the recent rumors of it being discontinued and plus I love this one to death also.

1 100ml backup of Pure Malt just due to the fact that you never know when it may become scarce again. It was a blind buy and I couldn't resist but to pick up 2 bottles while I had the chance.

I have 2 100ml bottles of Gucci Envy, one I bought and the other was a gift. Either way, it is rare enough to warrant keeping both bottles.

I plan on buying backups of LIDGE, Rive Gauche (tin can), Gucci Pour Homme I and M7 vintage if I can find them for under $100.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Basenotes Plus

2 bottles of 100ml of Tea for Two for me and mom. She is so hooked on it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I've got 4 3.4 oz bottles of DHI reform, and 1 vintage left. It's too amazing to ever be without. Too hard to get a bottle of since its not available at most places. Plus if they ever discontinued it I would cry.

I've got 3 big bottles of vintage D&G ph.

3 back ups of Chergui.

3 bottles of Aventus.

3 Millesime Imperial

2 LIDGE

And 3 Versace Dreamers

This is the stuff I wear always and I can't be without. Might as well stock up!
    Those bottles of vintage D&G Pour Homme are the most important bottles in your list IMHO....

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a backup bottle of LIDGE and Black Afgano, as well as owning both the 17.5 ml and 100 ml bottles of Pure Distance M..
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Jazz YSL vintage 2 big bottles and 2 small ones
    Tuscany per uomo vintage 5 big bottles
    Eau savage extreme 2 big bottles
    SL Borneo 2 x 50 ml bottles
    Gucci ph II 4 big bottles
    Davidoff silver shadow 4 50 ml bottles
    Costume National Scent intense 1 big bottle and a 50 ml one
    Gianfranco Ferrè uomo 3 big bottles
    jean Desprez Versailles 2 big bottles
    Red for men 2 big bottles
    Fendi Uomo 2 big bottles
    several others I can't remember!

- - - Updated - - -

well...2 big bottles of M7 vintage, 2 big bottles of GrigioPerla essence...
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I have 3 back-up bottles of the 4 oz. Creed Aventus Z01 Batch. I paid $275 for each bottle.

I'd be broke if I had to have 'back up bottles' for everything. Ridiculous idea.

Got a couple, scents that I enjoy a lot but that have been discontinued or reformulated. Also tempted to pick something up if I see it for a really good price at times (mostly resisting the urge though).

Thinking about backups of GPH2, DHI, and LIDGE.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Dior Homme (vintage)
    Pure Malt

The Dior because I much prefer the original pre reformulation, Pure Malt because I bought into the hype on re-issue so bought two to avoid searching high and low for an over priced replacement in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Let's say hypothertically speaking that Gucci Pour Homme were your favourite fragrance of all time and you knew it was soon to be discontinued and you could still get 100ml for circa £50.00, would the fact that your options now that it actually is discontinued are a.) Go without your favourite fragrance of all time or b.) have to pay > £100 for that same bottle, would you then see more point?
    No - i'd see it as an opportunity to find something else to love.

When you love a frag, that's it. Gucci Envy for men, I have two bottles, would buy one more and will buy if I bump into it somewhere.