Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Tom Ford does Amouage?

From The Moodie Report:

The house of Tom Ford is targeting the Middle Eastern market with a new fragrance, Sahara Noir. It will be on-counter in selected travel doors across the region from March, and will roll out to the European market in May.

Sahara Noir is rich and exotic; it wraps the balsamic, incense-touched notes of frankincense in gold and honey-coloured light,” noted Ford. “Middle Eastern culture has an extraordinary appreciation for the luxurious, emotional and memorable qualities of fragrance; perfume is worn there in a way that feels very familiar to me. Sahara Noir is my interpretation of this heritage. It is a deep and substantial perfume that caresses the senses.”

The oriental woody juice is crafted around a heart of frankincense. This key ingredient is complemented by top notes of cistus essence Orpur® (Orpur denotes a natural ingredient of exceptional quality and purity), bitter orange, Jordanian calamus – an oasis sweet grass – and Levantine cypress, famed for growing in the gardens of the 1001 Arabian Nights.

The heart blends frankincense essence Orpur® , cinnamon, cool papyrus extract, Egyptian jasmine templar and rose absolute from Morocco. A beeswax extraction from Burma lends body and a supple, honeyed-animalic richness.

The warm dry down is laced with amber. It is formed by a special blend of labdanum – labdanum absolute and a rich natural fraction of labdanum known as ambreinol – combined with benzoin, vanilla, cedar, frankincense resin, agarwood and balsam.

Sahara Noir is presented in a gold-coloured version of the Tom Ford signature fragrance bottle, made of metallised glass and finished with a golden name plaque. The flacon is packaged in a gold, fluted outer carton.
    No prices yet...

It sounds like something I would like, but it looks like I'll have to wait several months before I can.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Hopefully,Sephora will carry it. If so, I will test it out there.

Estee Lauder appears to like using 'Noir' in TF's scent names.

I have yet to find a Noir scent that is actually Noir, by anybody. Wish they would just drop the Noir.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Sounds very intriguing, cant wait to give it a try.

When Acqua di Parma tried Oud - we got a disaster (IMO), wonder how TF will fare...
    Why jump the ship when they make excellent parufms?

I like his bottle presentation including this one. It's a shame I don't feel the same way for his compositions.

they should have just called it "Sahara" , the noir is really pointless. His fragrances are hit and miss, of late, more misses.
    I am looking forward to sampling this fragrance none the less.

Yeah, why "Sahara" and "noir"? Just doesn't make much sense. Judging by the notes, my bet is it'll be some sort of Amber Absolute light.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Basenotes Institution

Octavian from the 1000 Fragrances blog talked about it in his posts, back in December 2012, here: http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...fragrance.html

-- Eckhart Tolle

I thought WOW when I saw Sahara Noir today in Cairo Airport duty-free, gave it a good old spray on a clean back of hand and waited...

Big frankincense blast that lasts whole way though frag, amber comes in soon, with some other resins, and a vetiver type note later in progression. Good silage and longevity. It's listed as a feminine on BN, but is definitely one of the more masculine of the TF offerings, but still would work well on a woman.

But, surprisingly, didn't really do too much for me, and definitely prefer my bottle of Amber Absolute to this and when that runs out it'll be Ambre Sultan, not this)

Anyone else tried Sahara Noir, and would like to share your experiences?
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Basenotes Institution

The amber prominence in this is surprising - thanks Mick.

-- Eckhart Tolle

this is intriguing to me because i am actually one of the few who like his signature series. even though it is feminine, like mick trick said men could pull it off. a sampling will have to happen when i can find it

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else smell this?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike, olibanum galore.
    imagine bois d'encens but much more complex & the frankincense amplified.
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

Sounds good hedonist222

-- Eckhart Tolle

I haven't given this a true testing but from the first few moments of smelling this at Niemans yesterday I was basically slapped in the face with frankincense. Bam! The amber reminded me of Halston Man Amber. But that was a quick sniff. Nice stuff though.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Junkie

I saw it in Saks today, I will try it tomorrow. I am a big fan of Amouage so this might be next if along the same line.

why not..Sahara by Night????
    Currently wearing: Hamptons by Bond No. 9

I noticed a 'burnt fart' note in there, anyone getting that? Apologies for crude description but the only way I could describe it.

Kind of nice frag, but ultimately meh for me... Much prefer Amber Absolute, which is also strong on the incense, but more resolved overall.

Basenotes Junkie

I tried it on paper tester. Really nice. Incense and frankincense, smells opulent and definitely unisex. It is priced similar to the Amouage. I got a tester and will test it on skin tomorrow. If it delivers same as paper, then it will be on my buy list for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried it on paper tester. Really nice. Incense and frankincense, smells opulent and definitely unisex. It is priced similar to the Amouage. I got a tester and will test it on skin tomorrow. If it delivers same as paper, then it will be on my buy list for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    I noticed a 'burnt fart' note in there, anyone getting that? Apologies for crude description but the only way I could describe it.

Kind of nice frag, but ultimately meh for me... Much prefer Amber Absolute, which is also strong on the incense, but more resolved overall.
    Is it available in Dublin now?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Is it available in Dublin now?
    Not sure? I tried it in Cairo in March.

Not sure? I tried it in Cairo in March.
    Ah ok, sorry! I just saw the Irish flag in your profile and thought maybe you had sampled it in Dublin. I'll check out Brown Thomas tomorrow anyway!

Ah ok, sorry! I just saw the Irish flag in your profile and thought maybe you had sampled it in Dublin. I'll check out Brown Thomas tomorrow anyway!
    Good guess, lol, I actually live in Dublin, was just on a trip to Cairo...

Off topic... Outside of Brown Thomas, House of Fraser and Harvey Nichols, do you know of anywhere that stocks interesting niche. Would love to be able to sample the likes of (MFK, Heeley, L'artisan, MpG, HdP, etc, etc) locally. It gets tedious having to order samples all the time...

I tried it out today, not a fan. The note you're talking about ruined it for me.

In case you're interested, 10 ml $42 splits offered by PalmBeach right now. 3 spots left...

Good guess, lol, I actually live in Dublin, was just on a trip to Cairo...

Off topic... Outside of Brown Thomas, House of Fraser and Harvey Nichols, do you know of anywhere that stocks interesting niche. Would love to be able to sample the likes of (MFK, Heeley, L'artisan, MpG, HdP, etc, etc) locally. It gets tedious having to order samples all the time...
    I'm afraid not! I'm in the same position as you and only know the ones you mentioned. Dublin really isn't a great city for the fragrance enthusiast, is it? *sigh*

I'm afraid not! I'm in the same position as you and only know the ones you mentioned. Dublin really isn't a great city for the fragrance enthusiast, is it? *sigh*
    lol, you're right, I guess it could be worse... we could live in Limerick... now that would really limit sampling opportunities...

Its shame the reviews of this don't seem too good, I love the name of this product, conjures up a lot of interest in my mind. Should have been a name used by Tauer in some concotion.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Armani Bois d'encens, Montale Full Incense... All I got was mostly Frankincense I didn't think it was good or anything special... meh!