Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Received a sample of it last night from Bergdorf. This is all about frankincense. Gave one spray on my hand before leaving for the office today and can still pick up whiffs of it.

I do not get any similarities to Amber Absolute, so not sure where this came from. I do get the vibe of Norma Kamali Incense. Not as intense as NK which can knock you off your chair, but definitely one that should be tried if you are all about frankincense.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Received a sample of it last night from Bergdorf. This is all about frankincense. Gave one spray on my hand before leaving for the office today and can still pick up whiffs of it.

I do not get any similarities to Amber Absolute, so not sure where this came from. I do get the vibe of Norma Kamali Incense. Not as intense as NK which can knock you off your chair, but definitely one that should be tried if you are all about frankincense.
    Me neither -- it's completely different. The rumor came from the TF SAs who, it turns out, were initially instructed that SN would take the place of AA -- but this was long before it was actually released.

I've been wearing it today, and for a TF scent, it's very light and unobtrusive. It turns kind of sweet after a little while on my skin, too. I'd say it lasted around 6 hours, although I can still smell it a little. It's lovely and weirdly refreshing for an incense, but tame by TF's usual standards. Very nicely blended, very easy to wear, but nowhere as nuclear as what you usually get from him. I'll give it a couple more wears before deciding whether or not it's FB-worthy.
    Last edited by deadidol; 25th April 2013 at 04:24 AM.

I put them side by side after reading the post of rhaybans and I think i also see some similarities in structure.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    I put them side by side after reading the post of rhaybans and I think i also see some similarities in structure.
    I did the same, but I couldn't map them well at all, mainly because AA is about 15 times louder than SH. The incense that runs through AA, so me, is much less churchy and more bitter whereas SH is a massive blast of benzoin.

Tried it today at John Lewis. The only similarity I get to Amber Absolute is that it has frankincense in it. Whilst I found Amber Absolute to be almost unbearably balmy and strong, this one strikes a gorgeous balance with the frankincense and amber. Like Black Orchid, it's VERY loud for the first hour or so, but not so loud that you'll be choking out rooms. That first hour smells heavenly though, and the pun isn't intended when I say that the incense smells rather church-like. I can see the similarities to Avignon by CDG.

I've had it on for around 5 hours and it's quietened down considerably, to the point of nearing skin-scent status. But I keep going back to sniff that lovely frankincense. For me, the smell is Amber Absolute perfected. I'll have to wait and see about longevity. Also, a small side note, the bottle looks and feels a bit naff in person.

I think it's incredibly similar to Gucci Pour Homme. The longevity on clothing is through the roof! I sprayed some on the cuff of a jacket 3 weeks ago and it's still there now!

I would never want to smell like this though.

Basenotes Member

Im finding this thing frankincense galore. Dry down is a bit boring though once everything burns out and settles. Any similarity to CdG Avignon? It's half the price after all.

$150 dollars for 50 ml? Really Tom? This is a decent frankincense fragrance, but honestly there are better frankincense fragrances at better price points. This fragrance should not be more than 105 dollars.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 14th May 2013 at 02:17 AM.

I tried it at bg a week or two ago. I really like the sweet base. This could well be a future acquisition for my blockbuster, powerhouse Winter rotation.

The bottle is really something else, though. I get that it's supposed to be all about Dubai, and from that perspective I think it reps well. But the bottle is almost as tacky as something you'd find at Creed, only without the make-believe royalty fairy tale nonsense. So I think that the takeaway is that the scent is very nicely done and FBW but, like my bottle of Original Santal, the bottle is going to clash with my modern interior decor and I'll have to hide the bottle in a place where guests can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJG View Post
    Im finding this thing frankincense galore. Dry down is a bit boring though once everything burns out and settles. Any similarity to CdG Avignon? It's half the price after all.
    It's not as sharp (or as interesting) as Avignon -- but it's still very nice! As other have mentioned, much tamer than you might expect from a TF.

Basenotes Member

Thanks! I'll probably go for Avignon over SN this time. I adore the opening and mid development of SN but I lose interest at the drydown. I'm no price snob but for a signature line frag £100 for 50 ml TF needs a reality check.

Thanks! I'll probably go for Avignon over SN this time. I adore the opening and mid development of SN but I lose interest at the drydown. I'm no price snob but for a signature line frag £100 for 50 ml TF needs a reality check.
    Have you tried CdG's 2Man? It's in the same vein as both and might be worth a sniff, but if you want a solid incense-y scent, it's hard to go wrong with Avignon.

Basenotes Member

I've been very tempted to sample it as people have said its similar to Gucci PH1 which im obsessed with. I'll try both but will probably lump for Avignon. All or nothing and all that

I've been very tempted to sample it as people have said its similar to Gucci PH1 which im obsessed with. I'll try both but will probably lump for Avignon. All or nothing and all that
    Check out the new Black if you get chance, too. It's weird as all get-out, but totally worth a sniff. The TF is very safe compared to those three.

Basenotes Institution

I finally gave this a full wearing today. Love it! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Stayed with me ALL DAY. A very unisex, radiant and potent incense - right up there with Avignon, Cardinal, Messe de Minuit and the like...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I finally gave this a full wearing today. Love it! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Stayed with me ALL DAY. A very unisex, radiant and potent incense - right up there with Avignon, Cardinal, Messe de Minuit and the like...
    I recently acquired a sample and am quite impressed as well. It is not a particularly complex scent, but it smells quite good indeed.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I recently acquired a sample and am quite impressed as well. It is not a particularly complex scent, but it smells quite good indeed.
    And I'm so glad it revolves around a single pillar note as opposed to a note accompanied by an accord.

There are a plethora of incense cum accord perfumes out there.

Only a handful of perfumes are based on such high quality with such intensity of olibanum.

for swap/sale:

One the best TF scents.

I've recently sampled this and a full bottle is on my list to buy next month. The drydown is the best part IMO.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    And I'm so glad it revolves around a single pillar note as opposed to a note accompanied by an accord.

There are a plethora of incense cum accord perfumes out there.

Only a handful of perfumes are based on such high quality with such intensity of olibanum.
    I never quite thought of it like that, but I think I see what you mean.

Anyone know who the perfumer is for this?

Last night, after 2 hot showers, traces of the scent were still faintly detectable on my chest, so that when I sprayed on some Tam Dao EdP, there was a bit of layering going on. Nice!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

OK, you're talking me into it. Only sampled once briefly. Time for another sniff, maybe a test wearing. . .

Just smelled this today and it's on the top of my hand right now.

Absolutely wonderful. This is how i want my incense to be.

It starts off spicy and little ambery then the churchy incense takes center stage and stays linear till the end and i love it.

It's listed at 150$ at the store i visited but goes down to 120$ with discount...

Don't know if i could wait till December to get this because i promised myself no more full bottles for this month !
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

The first time I tried this folk were comparing this to Amber Absolute (and it's very different), so expectations were not met, and I thought it smelled slightly of burnt fart (defense: it was 3am in Cairo airport, I was tired and very pissed off), slowly have grown to respect it for what it is, and then love it. Now own a bottle.

It's the perfect scent for when Avignon is to little and NK Insence is too much. Also trying to nurse my NK, but happy to spray this with abandon. It ain't complicated, but what it does, it does well.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

It smells exactly like the Olibanum they use in eastern orthodox churches in the middle east. A pure dose of Olibanum that is. For me, it's love at first smell.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I was on a search for some Ouds and stumbled on this. Wearing it now. I appreciate the references to frankincense the middle eastern orthodox incense references. To bring it back to the U.S. - it is Pinyon wood. If you have ever been to Santa Fe and smelled the fireplaces crank up at sunset, you have smelled Sahara Noir. Very enjoyable.

Gave this a try this week. I mostly get burning frankincense with a slight beeswax note. I'm not picking up the cinnamon as others have stated.

I'm not sure on longevity and projection they seem to be subdued. My nose might be playing tricks on me with the cold dry weather we are experiencing.

I haven't really taken a liking to any Tom Ford fragrance I've tried but this one seems to be a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Gave this a try this week. I mostly get burning frankincense with a slight beeswax note. I'm not picking up the cinnamon as others have stated.

I'm not sure on longevity and projection they seem to be subdued. My nose might be playing tricks on me with the cold dry weather we are experiencing.

I haven't really taken a liking to any Tom Ford fragrance I've tried but this one seems to be a winner.
    Projection is very moderate on Sahara noir which is a plus IMO, considering you don't wanna be walking around projecting like a burning censer.

Longevity is easily 12 hours.

I agree about the beeswax, it's more present in the drydown, which i think is the most interesting part of the scent development.

Still haven't smelled this yet, but the reviews seem to be largely positive. I need to get to a store soon..

Finally picked up my bottle yesterday, after sampling it several times. Got into a big frankincense kick around the holidays (I know, appropriate, except I didn't grow up religious, so for me, I don't have church associations), and realized many of my favorite fragrances feature a frankincense note. With Sahara Noir I can bathe in mostly that note. I don't find it as simple as some have implied; its other facets are subtle, sure, but there's certainly more to it than just frankincense.

It also lasts quite a long time -- easily a full day. It may not project like crazy, but it's not a mere skin scent either. It has a nice trail to create a flickering aura.

Oh, and indeed, this is the first Tom Ford I've actually bought. Good stuff.

Indeed a great perfume, it turns slightly sweet on me in the drydown as well (previously mentioned)

A terrific example of the power of fragrance, but not something I want to wear though...

Basenotes Institution

Interesting about the beeswax, I am missing that. I do smell the cinnamon.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'd love to try SN but no retailer in the Portland, OR, area has it! Is there anything a bit more budget friendly that can get me the frankincense church vibe that might be more readily available?

Nordstrom carries it unless they are out, in which case they should be able to get a bottle to Clackamas Town Center by the next day from Seattle. Or go to Perfume House and try Avignon.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Interesting about the beeswax, I am missing that. I do smell the cinnamon.
    After several wearings I still do not pick up anything besides frankincense and beeswax. Don't take that as a bad thing as I'm really enjoying Sahara Noir.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Today, i finally started detecting other notes mentioned in the press pyramid : bitter oranges in the opening and a light hint of roses in the heart as a beautiful companion to the Frankincense.

The more i wear this , the more i discover its sneaky complexity.

None of the Nordstrom's in Portland carry it (according to their web site). Same with Saks 5th Avenue. Why is this so scarce?

I have seen, sampled and got a carded sample from the downtown Nordstrom. It was on the shelf a few days before Christmas. Also saw it at the Washington Square Nordstrom just after Thanksgiving. Perhaps they are out? I suggest you call the store. Maybe this scent is in short supply from Tom Ford?
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Today, i finally started detecting other notes mentioned in the press pyramid : bitter oranges in the opening and a light hint of roses in the heart as a beautiful companion to the Frankincense.

The more i wear this , the more i discover its sneaky complexity.
    That's been my experience as well. It's certainly mostly about frankincense, yes, but other notes subtly lend their qualities to highlight and amplify the star ingredient (just as a rose soliflore relies on clever secondary notes). But no doubt this one is all about enjoying frankincense.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    That's been my experience as well. It's certainly mostly about frankincense, yes, but other notes subtly lend their qualities to highlight and amplify the star ingredient (just as a rose soliflore relies on clever secondary notes). But no doubt this one is all about enjoying frankincense.
    Went and purchased a bottle at my local Nordstrom. Unfortunately they have only had a tester so I should have my bottle in a couple of days. Looking forward to see if I can pick up other notes besides frankincense and beeswax.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Fantastic fragrance smelling on my skin like an ideal blend of Donna Karan Black Cashmere, Etro Messe de Minuit, Lutens Arabie and Tom Ford Amber Absolute with hints of the typical Slumberhouse's "complicated" (scratching) burnt sugar/licorice spicy tobacco undertone. Dry frankincense, earthy oud-patchouli, herbal-hesperidic patterns (throughout present as undertone), huge cinnamon, resinous labdanum, dark amber/tobacco with a suede caress. I prefer to go by soon beyond the stages of the olfactory evolution, just pointing out that Sahara Noir is misty, herbal, sultry, darkly exotic and voluptuous as a magic night out for tracks and alleys of a desert's village.

I love your reviews of fragrances Darvant. Spot on with the burnt sugary aspects of Sahara Noir which lead right into a deliciously warm blanket of frankincense.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Fantastic fragrance smelling on my skin like an ideal blend of Donna Karan Black Cashmere, Etro Messe de Minuit, Lutens Arabie and Tom Ford Amber Absolute with hints of the typical Slumberhouse's "complicated" (scratching) burnt sugar/licorice spicy tobacco undertone. Dry frankincense, earthy oud-patchouli, herbal-hesperidic patterns (throughout present as undertone), huge cinnamon, resinous labdanum, dark amber/tobacco with a suede caress. I prefer to go by soon beyond the stages of the olfactory evolution, just pointing out that Sahara Noir is misty, herbal, sultry, darkly exotic and voluptuous as a magic night out for tracks and alleys of a desert's village.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I love your reviews of fragrances Darvant. Spot on with the burnt sugary aspects of Sahara Noir which lead right into a deliciously warm blanket of frankincense.
    Thank you so much :-)

I like it too. My female colleague has it and I really enjoy it when she is wearing it. To me it doesn't smell very complex, it comes off as a frankincense bomb but sort of smoked frankincense, frankincense with a smoky oud maybe, and yes, that cinnamon. Lovely quality, projects well, and has a very attractive trail. Would be really terrific on men, especially Darvant.

Smile Re: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I like it too. My female colleague has it and I really enjoy it when she is wearing it. To me it doesn't smell very complex, it comes off as a frankincense bomb but sort of smoked frankincense, frankincense with a smoky oud maybe, and yes, that cinnamon. Lovely quality, projects well, and has a very attractive trail. Would be really terrific on men, especially Darvant.
    So nice my lovely Foustie :-)