Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche Pour Homme

I was at a WalMart last night picking up another $20 Cool Water gift set so I'd have one at work too, and spotted a lone, tall, thin, nice looking box on the shelf. Low and behold, it was YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. The sales person said that they had just got it that day, and that there was only one. No tester either. Since it was only $24.95 for a 125ml tin, I blind bought it with no hesitation.

Nice box, and nice tin can. Very interesting. I thought it was half gone though by its weight (due to the absence of a glass bottle presumably). The box was totally sealed though so even though I can't see through the can to verify volume, I assume it's full.

Wore it today for the first time for casual Friday. Interesting notes. Like other reviewers have said, it has a more mature feel to it. Personally, and also as other reviewers have said, notwithstanding that it came out in 2003 (as I understand), it definitely has an old school, but refined feel to it. Kinda 80ish. Kinda Drakkar Noir-ish (to me anyway). But more contemporary. I like it. I think it'll make for a good all round scent -- suits to jeans.

I watched Mark's (Robes) review last night on YouTube after I had bought it. How he described it is exactly my take on it as well. Interesting comments re the barber shop feel -- all the way to the tin can "Barbasol-like" packaging.

For any Rive Gauche fans -- any thought as to whether this is:

1. A good work scent?

2. A good date scent?

3. A good Saturday afternoon kick around scent?

4. More suitable for any seasons/temperatures?

5. More suitable/easily worn by men above a certain age?

Also, how do you find projection/longevity/sillage? How many sprays do you do? I have 3 on my chest, and 2 on my neck and it is not overpowering in the slightest.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rive Gauche Pour Homme

2-3 sprays is right.

It is versatile, but you still need to exercise some caution.

Few sprays, 3-4 at most, are more than enough.

Also, trying to answer the questions specifically:

1. A good work scent? Yes, but in scarcer quantities

2. A good date scent? Same as with question 1

3. A good Saturday afternoon kick around scent? Definitely yes, since quite versatile

4. More suitable for any seasons/temperatures? Again, since versatility is very good, it can be suitable all through the year and during almost any weather conditions, on almost any occasion and with most outfits

5. More suitable/easily worn by men above a certain age? Though a mature scent, still fresh, youthful and trendy enough for anyone from around the early 20s onwards (and even earlier) but also quite suitable, at almost any given age.

You got an old, discontinued RG pour homme tin for $25? This is one big lucky find, I know several BNers will be envious!

Funny how nonglass bottles seem so light. But if you think, the juice itself is only 1/4 pound in weight. To me, RG is a classic fougere (hence the barbershop feel), but drier and cleaner, almost soapy, and in this sense more modern in feel. It is suitable for most occasions, as it gives off a solid but still clean and sharp vibe.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    ...It is versatile, but you still need to exercise some caution.
    How so noirdrakkar? Not taking issue with what you said, just trying to understand it better.

Thank you Sir.

What a steal! It's great for every occasion in my opinion!

Yes, good for anything, anytime. I like the later dry down of RG the best. Can't beat the price.

Great deal for a great scent. Enjoy.

It is a classic and a great bargain at the price you paid. IMO, it can be worn in many different settings, in any season of the year and by men of any age. It has good longevity and is a scent that people around you will find pleasant (at least in my experience). As prior posts have suggested, go easy on the spray trigger. Enjoy!